deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
01/30/01 01:18 PM
Status names

Ages ago, one Chicklit user e-mailed me to ask me to post about the status names (the words that appear under your user id). She was wondering about what the levels are, and why I came up with the names I did, etc. I've been promising her forever to answer her question, and I'm finally getting around to it.

The levels are:

Administrator (this gives you bulletin board omnipotence)

Moderator (can close or delete threads in the forums they moderate; moderators are designated by administrators)

Member (user who's made 31 posts)

Junior member (user who's made fewer than 31 posts)

You don't have to give the various levels "names" but most bulletin board administrators like to do it. The theme that's been running for a while was "Suicidal Women Poets" and it went as follows:

Administrator: Sylvia Plath
Moderator: Anne Sexton
Member: Sara Teasdale
Junior Member: Susan Musgrave

All were "successful" suicides except for Musgrave, who has made at least one well-publicized attempt; possibly more, I can't remember.

Anyway, the new theme was inspired by the first chapter of Brenda Knight's book Women Who Love Books Too Much, and it's "Literary First Ladies."

Administrator: Enheduanna, the first recorded writer of either gender. She was a Sumerian poet.

Moderator: Christine de Pisan, the first woman writer to be published in English

Senior member: Mary Manley, the first female author of a bestseller, the first British woman to have a career as a political journalist, and the first woman to be jailed for her writing. (This was in the 17th century, by the way.)

Junior member: Phillis Wheatley, considered the first black woman writer. She was a slave in Boston for most of her life.

Hope you like these choices. If you'd like to comment, or make suggestions for future themes, feel free to do so.

[This message has been edited by deborah (edited January 30, 2001).]

licorice
(Ching Shih)
02/05/01 05:25 PM
Re: Status names

Okay, this is a bit random, but I'm in the middle of Anna Diamant's The Red Tent, and they had a page long reference to Enhenduanna! Hee! I suppose I shouldn't be so amused, but if it hadn't been for Chicklit, I would have simply have said "yup, another weird biblical-age gal, moving on..." Hee!

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
08/08/01 01:01 PM

Well, it's way past time for some new status names. The new ones are drawn from Virginia Woolf's literary circle:

Administrator: Virginia Woolf
Moderator: Katherine Mansfield
Member: Vita Sackville-West
Junior Member: Violet Trefusis

badverb
(Ching Shih)
08/13/01 05:11 AM

Hey, wow, how'd you know I always wanted to be Vita Sackville West?

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
08/13/01 08:03 AM

I'm psychic that way.

[This message has been edited by deborah (edited August 13, 2001).]

Pyewacket
(Gráinne ni Mhaille)
08/13/01 09:18 PM

Hmm, and I'm Violet Trefusis... So, badverb, you wanna get together later? Hee!

badverb
(Ching Shih)
08/15/01 05:10 AM

Rrrowr

Also, Pyewacket, I like your user name.

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
10/14/01 10:03 PM

Bumping this up for some newer members who have questions about the status names.

omega
(Gráinne ni Mhaille)
02/19/02 11:23 PM

deborah, the next time you switch to new status names, have you thought about the Algonquin Round Table?

Administrator--Dorothy Parker
Moderator--Edna Ferber
Member--Peggy Leech
Junior Member--Jane Grant

... or somesuch.

omega
(Gráinne ni Mhaille)
02/19/02 11:28 PM

Gaah! I'm sorry about the proliferation of posts. My browser went a little nuts over here, and now I can't get at them to edit them! Bad browser! Bad!

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
02/19/02 11:39 PM

omega: Good idea! I'll keep that in mind. It's time to change them soon, anyway.

I've deleted the duplicate posts.

[This message has been edited by deborah (edited February 19, 2002).]

Daisyheartz
(Ching Shih)
03/30/02 08:23 PM

YAY!! I just made Vita Sackville-West !

graceless
(Ching Shih)
03/30/02 09:50 PM

So I have to become a moderator to become Katherine Mansfield?
How do I accomplish this?

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
08/13/02 09:20 PM

Way past time for new status names! This time around it's authors of classic children's literature, with the added sub-theme that they each have three names:

Administrator: Lucy Maud Montgomery
Moderator: Laura Ingalls Wilder
Member: Louisa May Alcott
Junior Member: Frances Hodgson Burnett

graceless, sorry I missed your question so many months ago. There are a limited number of slots available for moderators, and they're chosen at my discretion -- it's not the same as achieving "member" status, where it's based on the number of posts.

Kivrin
(Ching Shih)
08/13/02 09:32 PM

Those are so great, deborah!

essay
(Ching Shih)
08/13/02 11:01 PM

Yes--I was so thrilled to see the new status names, and particularly happy to see that I get to be under Louisa Mae Alcott's guiding light. Coincidentally, an opera of Little Women came to Santa Cruz a week or so, and I happened to see it and was quite delighted by it. Rekindled the joy of Little Women for me. Thanks!

Vanillarose
(Ching Shih)
08/14/02 01:19 AM

*Jumps up and down with excitement*

I'm Louisa May Alcott now! Yay!!!

badverb
(Ching Shih)
08/14/02 05:58 AM

Me too! Yay!

bonster
(Ching Shih)
08/14/02 08:25 AM

Excellent choices, thanks deborah!

goovie
(Ching Shih)
08/14/02 08:33 AM

Adding to the new name love. Yay deborah!

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
08/14/02 09:00 AM

Wow, I had no idea y'all would be so happy about it! Glad you enjoy the names.

Masha
(Ching Shih)
08/14/02 09:31 AM

I'm the observant one who didn't notice until just now. But I've always wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder (I even had the braids and buck teeth and freckles as a kid), and now I am!

studio1
(Ching Shih)
08/14/02 10:05 AM

Oh, sure... I'll never be LMM, only a childhood dream and all, thanks for keeping it out of reach. Hmph, grumble. (you DO know I'm kidding, right? I love the new names. )

swimmyfish
(Ching Shih)
08/14/02 10:33 AM

i was just looking through a couple of threads in the "Generalities" forum, and it looks like the update didn't carry over there. i don't know if that's me being impatient, but i thought i'd mention it.

Angiv
(Ching Shih)
08/14/02 01:35 PM

The status names don't usually change until someone posts in the topic.

*sniff* I'm going to miss being Katherine Mansfield. All things considered though, LIW isn't too bad. I have a sudden urge to reread Little House... now.

SusyQ
(Ching Shih)
08/14/02 03:05 PM

Oooh, fun! Thanks, deborah! (See how easy-to-please we are?)
 Quote:
I have a sudden urge to reread Little House... now.
As soon as I saw my new user name, I thought, "Hmmm--it's been ages since I reread Little Women!"

Fiammetta
(Ching Shih)
08/14/02 04:05 PM

The new names are just too cute. Must resist the urge to reread Little Women. . .

TraceyB
(Ching Shih)
08/15/02 11:47 AM

I love being Louisa May Alcott! Thanks, deborah!

amateur
(Ching Shih)
08/26/02 05:23 PM

Also loving the new names

cat
(Ching Shih)
08/26/02 05:59 PM

Hee! I love being Laura Ingalls Wilder--not least because, when I was very small, my best friend and I had a falling out that lasted what seemed like months over who got to be Laura while playing Little House on the Prairie (our extreme youth, I might add, predated the TV show, so this was all about the books). I'm afraid I pigheadedly insisted on being Laura, because I had brown hair whereas she was blonde, with blue eyes--very clearly a Mary type. But she, for some reason, did not want to be priggish and eventually blind, so we fought and I had to let her be Laura.

Now, however, once again, I am Laura. Yay!

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
11/13/02 09:30 AM

They've changed again, partly because it's just time, and partly because I wanted to see what was going on with the moderator's status names, which in at least one case was not displaying correctly.

So, in light of the many spiritual occasions soon to be upon us, I've chosen the following names:

Administrator: Rabi'a Al-Adawiyya
Moderator: Hildegarde von Bingen
Member: Mirabai
Junior Member: Sarah Bat Tovim

All are mystics/saints/religious leaders whose words were treasured.

Edited to add, I've found out what the problem is: the moderator titles only show up when the moderator posts in a forum she moderates. I can only change this by going into each profile and changing your titles individually. Since there are quite a lot of you, I hope you can live with it if I don't do this...

Stringy
(Ching Shih)
11/13/02 08:26 PM

Ahhh... they're spiritual references. I was getting worried - the only other time I've heard of the name Mirabai was as the name of a Big Brother contestant here in Australia. Since I didn't really think that would be the reference, I came right here to find out.

agtpeach
(Ching Shih)
11/16/02 08:52 AM

ah, sorry for the unnecessary email, deborah. did a bit more exploring and here i am! \:\)

love the new names - and the improved functions in the forums (yay, previews!). very much appreciate not having to insert my own UBB codes - so easy to forget to close or mistype.

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
06/11/03 11:10 PM

Long overdue change in status names -- this time, I picked several well-known lesbian writers to celebrate the first legal gay marriage in Ontario (for however long it lasts):

Administrator: Radclyffe Hall
Moderator: Djuna Barnes
Member: Audre Lorde
Junior Member: Sarah Waters
Unregistered user: Sapphire

Ekaterina_dup1
(Ching Shih)
06/12/03 07:25 AM

Yippee, new names! Even though I'm not a writer, I'm now inspired to create a biomythography. Thanks, deborah!

Catness
(Ching Shih)
06/12/03 09:13 AM

Yay! How fun to have new status names!

Every year I think "oh there's no way Deborah's going to be able to come up with something as cool as the last one" and then you prove me wrong. Again.

Thanks, Deborah!

Kivrin
(Ching Shih)
06/12/03 09:08 PM

Ooh, Djuna Barnes--how very cool is that? Great names, Deborah!

Lothlorien
(Ching Shih)
06/13/03 07:06 PM

Just one question (I love the names!) - what is an unregistered user? Are they the usernames that are not bolded, if I recall correctly?

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
06/13/03 07:33 PM

You know, I don't know exactly what an unregistered user is. I still haven't quite figured it out. It hardly ever comes up.

The names that are not in bold belong to users who were deleted. Usually it's a banning, but sometimes there are other reasons IDs are deleted.

carrotbat
(Ching Shih)
06/19/03 03:41 AM

BTW, the FAQ still lists the old status names. (Let's see how many TLAs I can get in this, shall we?)

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
06/19/03 10:08 PM

You know what? I didn't put that in there manually -- the software picked it up somehow. Now I have to figure out how to update it. Thanks for pointing that out!

always-anne-shirley
(Ching Shih)
01/17/04 11:21 PM

I'm so glad I finally found this. The status names have been confusing me for quite some time. And, I see we've had these an unprecedented length of time. Are they going to change again, or did these settle in as permanent?

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
01/19/04 08:49 AM

They're never permanent. They change at random intervals, depending on when I have the time and inclination to do so.

Stephsdad
(Ching Shih)
01/19/04 05:45 PM

I know this is CHICKLIT but how about some male names? like:-
George Sand
Paul Eluard
James Tiptree Jr.
Acton Bell
George Eliot

PageTurner
(Ching Shih)
01/19/04 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephsdad:

Paul Eluard
Who seems to actually be male. Shocking, I know.

There's always Andre Norton....

Stephsdad
(Ching Shih)
01/20/04 07:14 AM

Couldn't sneak an actual male by. I should have known better. I thought Paul Eluard was pretty obscure. Well done Page Turner.

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
01/20/04 03:08 PM

Cool idea, Stephsdad. You'll see I've implemented it.

Catness
(Ching Shih)
01/20/04 04:50 PM

Wooooooooo! I'm a Bronte! Well, in the forums I moderate I am.

Yeah, you can tell I'm having a trying day here, because this news has made me happy beyond what is reasonable.

Selena
(Ching Shih)
01/20/04 06:21 PM

I like this! I was looking at Stephsdad's list and thinking I'd like to be James Tiptree Jr. and here I am. Very cool.

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
06/03/04 08:41 PM

Okay, we need a new theme and new names. I'm taking suggestions.

Ria
(Ching Shih)
06/03/04 09:08 PM

Characters from classic children's literature.

voiceofreason
(Ching Shih)
06/04/04 12:11 AM

Golden Age mystery novelists

miercoles
(Ching Shih)
06/04/04 08:28 AM

Famous women diarists.

Catness
(Ching Shih)
06/04/04 09:22 AM

Famous (or, by all rights should be famous) women in:
  • computing and technology, like Countess Ada Lovelace and Grace Hopper;
  • engineering ;
  • Nobel Prize winners in the sciences (medicine and physiology, chemistry, or physics);
  • invention , like Hedy Lamarr (yes, that Hedy Lamarr), or some of the many African-American inventors ; or finally,
  • exploration .

tygrkatt
(Ching Shih)
06/04/04 11:05 AM

I'll second characters from classic children's literature.

Anne Wentworth
(Ching Shih)
06/04/04 12:26 PM

Hee! For a second, I thought miercoles had written "famous women dentists."

I third characters from children's lit-- becuase I want to be Mary Lennox.

goovie
(Ching Shih)
06/04/04 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Anne Wentworth:
I third characters from children's lit-- becuase I want to be Mary Lennox.
Oooh! Can I suggest Anne Shirley or Emily Starr, and maybe Ramona Quimby?

Selena
(Ching Shih)
06/04/04 03:27 PM

What about, one time using LMM characters/children and another time using other kidlit girls?

Selena
(Ching Shih)
06/04/04 03:27 PM

Oops.

blessures
(Ching Shih)
06/04/04 06:52 PM

How about independent women's publishing houses?

Persephone
Virago
Women's Press
Girls Gone By

Then it would have a meaning in terms of output as well!

Although, actually, I think Virago's an imprint now. And I can't think of a fifth (and my references are all British). If it was publishing houses/shops there's Silver Moon.

Catness
(Ching Shih)
06/04/04 07:03 PM

Seal Press, here in Seattle.

Kivrin
(Ching Shih)
06/04/04 11:08 PM

Keeping with the independent women's publishing idea...

Artemis Press
Aunt Lute
Naiad Press
Calyx
Spinsters Ink

cat
(Ching Shih)
06/04/04 11:58 PM

How about the scarlet women of literature? (Or those considered sinful or scandalous in some way.) Lots of possibilities: Eve, Hester Prynne, Madame Bovary, Anna Karenina, the Wife of Bath, or even Miss Lydia Bennet.

Catness
(Ching Shih)
06/05/04 12:11 AM

Ooooh, good one!

They don't all have to be classics either, do they? 'Cause we could include Nan from Tipping the Velvet or Sukey Tawdry/Sue Trinder from Fingersmith. I guess Mrs Danvers could fit in with this, but she's more a villian than a scandalous woman.

Bear
(Ching Shih)
06/05/04 10:57 AM

I like the kidlit and scarlet women suggestions!

And Catness's suggestion of Mrs Danvers made me think that female villains would be good too. Mrs Danvers, Cruella DeVille, Jadis (the white witch of Narnia), Lady Audley....

Anne Wentworth
(Ching Shih)
06/05/04 12:16 PM

Ooooh, I like the way Bear's thinking, too. How about Bertha Dorset (nasty woman)? Or Madame Defarge? Madame Merle?

miercoles
(Ching Shih)
06/07/04 11:15 AM

I love the idea of women villians. I can't think of any not mentioned yet besides the Wicked Witch of the West, though.

klio
(Ching Shih)
06/09/04 08:34 AM

Love the female villains idea. The only one I could add would be Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Love the scarlet women idea, too, and to that list I'll add Edna Pontellier.

runs with scissors
(Ching Shih)
06/09/04 10:45 AM

I love the idea of women villains. Another suggestion is Lydia Gwilt from Wilkie Collins' Armadale. Bad, bad news.

Catness
(Ching Shih)
06/09/04 10:50 AM

Another suggestion for a scarlet or fallen woman: Lily Bart from House of Mirth.

Doppelganger
(Ching Shih)
06/09/04 11:54 AM

Um, I'm willing to shuffle out of here with my head hanging (and you can all politely pretend not to notice my shame) if this idea is too indescribably precious, but I've been feeling all nostalgic about Little Women lately. How about:

Administrator: Meg
Moderator: Jo
Member: Beth
Junior Member: Amy

Unregistered users can be Laurie. Heh.

SeattleShrew
(Ching Shih)
06/09/04 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doppelganger:
Um, I'm willing to shuffle out of here with my head hanging (and you can all politely pretend not to notice my shame) if this idea is too indescribably precious, but I've been feeling all nostalgic about Little Women lately. How about:

I really like that idea Doppelganger - so if others hate it will join you in a muttering and sorrowful retreat.

Marmee should be included, I guess that would be Deborah.

Re Bertha being suggested as a villain - I never saw her as such, but rather a rather sad victim. Albeit a very angry one!

Back to topic: I love women publishers and scarlet women as well.

Emily G
(Ching Shih)
06/10/04 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doppelganger:

I'll third a liking for this!

Fiordiligi
(Ching Shih)
06/21/04 06:05 AM

As I am in the middle of a Lousa M Alcott fest at present (just started Jo's Boys) then I certainly endorse this idea! I'm no Beth, however....

cat
(Ching Shih)
06/22/04 03:34 PM

I like the Little Women one too--and I like the idea of being Jo. Though I think there's an argument to be made for having the top status be Jo (because she is the main heroine), even though that takes it out of the order of age.

PrimulaMary
(Ching Shih)
06/22/04 05:29 PM

Unless, cat, the administrator level was Marmee -- but then you're left with the problem of which sister to exclude. (For my money, it's Beth.)

I'll confess I've always liked the slight obscurity of our status names. I'm really fond of of the villains/scarlet women ideas.

ainsley
(Ching Shih)
06/22/04 07:32 PM

PrimulaMary, I agree with you on the preferring the obscure bit.

Plus, villains are fun! (as long as they're fictional)

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
06/23/04 07:15 AM

Okay, I finally decided on "scarlet/fallen women from 19th century literature."

Administrator: Anna Karenina
Moderator: Hester Prynne
Member: Emma Bovary
Junior Member: Daisy Miller
Unregistered user: Tess Durbeyfield

Feel free to continue making suggestions. I'll try to change these more often.

Doppelganger
(Ching Shih)
06/23/04 01:48 PM

Sweet! I'm Emma Bovary. Time to go shopping!

cat
(Ching Shih)
06/23/04 04:55 PM

Ooh, I totally wanted to be Hester Prynne! Yay! Thanks, deborah, I'm flattered you're using the idea.

Willemiena
(Ching Shih)
08/09/04 11:28 PM

Forgive my ignorance

Who is Daisy Miller? ie, which book is she from (can place the rest...)

PrimulaMary
(Ching Shih)
08/10/04 01:19 AM

Daisy Miller is the heroine of Henry James's novel of the same name.

She's a young, flirtatious, wilful, innocent and spontaneous American visiting Europe. Two men fall in love with her, and eventually she's ostracised because she won't conform to European society and etiquette, and especially in her behaviour with men. Oh, and then she dies because of her recklessness. As fallen women in literature do.

PrimulaMary
(Ching Shih)
08/15/04 10:20 PM

Deleted because "edit" and "reply" are not the same thing at all.

Sincerity
(Ching Shih)
11/12/04 03:27 AM

I always wanted to be called Daisy Miller, so this is quite thrilling. Heh.

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
03/15/05 12:02 PM

Oh, we really need new status names. Taking suggestions...

Bear
(Ching Shih)
03/15/05 06:25 PM

I just looked back at the previous suggestions, and I still like kidlit heroines or utter villainesses!

SeattleShrew
(Ching Shih)
03/16/05 03:12 AM

In honor of our fearless leader, Canadian women writers.

Or

Witches

Or

Charlotte, Emily, Anne and Branwell Brontë. Are boys allowed?

FishDreamerAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
03/16/05 11:31 PM

I like the heroines of children's books one so I'm going to suggest actual character names. Am suggesting more than five so there's a choice. And two are from the same author. Is that bad? I'd have a hard time choosing between Mary and Sarah. If that's not objectionable, then it could be L.M. Montgomery heroines and we can have Valancy and Emily as well.

Anne Shirley - Anne of Green Gables
Mary Lennox - The Secret Garden
Sarah Crewe - The Little Princess
Pippi Longstocking - The Adventures of Pippi Longstocking
Bonnie Green - The Wolves of Willoughby Chase
Hermione Granger - Harry Potter

Selena
(Ching Shih)
03/17/05 12:14 AM

More kidlit heroines:

Claudia Kincaid - From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
Betsy Ray - The Betsy-Tacy books by Maud Hart Lovelace
Anastasia Krupnik - The Anastasia books by Lois Lowry

Or, kidlit heroines who want to be writers:

Betsy Ray, Emily Starr, Tish Sterling (from Norma Johnston's Keeping Days series) - there must be others.

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
03/17/05 08:09 AM

Quote:
Or, kidlit heroines who want to be writers
I kind of like this one; any more suggestions? I actually need five altogether; there's one status name that rarely shows up, but it's there.

dazey
(Ching Shih)
03/17/05 08:24 AM

deborah: how about Joey Bettany from the Chalet School books? With the added bonus that she does, in fact, become an "authoress".

curlgirl
(Ching Shih)
03/17/05 08:42 AM

Some more kidlit heroines who want to be writers:

Jo March, from Little Women
Francie Nolan, from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Rebecca Randall, from Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
Vicky Austin, from Madeleine L'Engle's Austin family series

lex
(Ching Shih)
03/17/05 11:54 AM

Harriet M. Welch (from Harriet the Spy)

goovie
(Ching Shih)
03/18/05 12:05 AM

I want to be a Harriet!

Anne Wentworth
(Ching Shih)
03/18/05 02:13 PM

Emily Starr and Anne Shirley, of course. Elnora Comstock from A Girl of the Limberlost (or am I remembering that incorrectly? I thought she wanted to write about butterflies). Sarah Stanley from the Storygirl books. Laura Ingalls.

I feel like there are more than haven't been mentioned, but my mind is drawing a blank.

Silja
(Ching Shih)
05/31/05 05:40 AM

I just love the new names. Makes me feel oh so sofisticated to sit down for lunch with al these amasingly smart women at The Algonquin Round Table

Emily G
(Ching Shih)
05/31/05 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Silja:
I just love the new names. Makes me feel oh so sofisticated to sit down for lunch with al these amasingly smart women at The Algonquin Round Table
The Algonquin Round Table was a real place? *headdesk* D'oh, I suppose, should have known the admin/mod forum would be named after something like that ... \:\)

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
09/15/05 10:49 AM

Time for new status names! Taking suggestions.

Kivrin
(Ching Shih)
09/15/05 06:03 PM

Prominent women anarchists?
Emma Goldman, Lucy Parsons, Louise Michel, Marie Louise Berneri, Voltairine DeCleyre

19th Century Women Journalists?
Ida Tarbell, Nelly Bly...umm...

Wait a minute, have we already done these?

miercoles
(Ching Shih)
09/15/05 08:56 PM

Kivrin, I can't recall using either prominent women anarchists or 19th-century women journalists, but I love both ideas.

betsytacy
(Ching Shih)
09/15/05 11:36 PM

Mother Jones was certainly a rabble-rouser and a radical, although I'm not sure she qualifies as an anarchist.

Other 19th century women journalists: Fanny Fern, the first woman newspaper columnist in the US; Polly Pry, an early tabloid journalist; Mary Ann Shadd Cary, an antislavery advocate who started a newspaper for blacks in Canada; and Louisa Lawson, an early newspaperwoman in Australia.

Another suggestion would be heroines of children's fantasy books: Meg Murray (A Wrinkle in Time), Lucy Pevensie (the Narnia books), Hermione Granger (Harry Potter), Dorothy Gale or the more obscure Betsy Bobbin from the Oz books, Wendy Darling (Peter Pan), E. Nesbit's Anthea (does she have a last name?), and so on.

PrimulaMary
(Ching Shih)
09/16/05 05:15 AM

Kivrin, I love the women journalists idea -- does it need to be restricted to 19th century journalists, though?

Other possibilities (both 19th and 20th century) include the marvellous Harriet Martineau, Fanny Wright, Marguerite Higgins, Sonia Tomara, Jessica Mitford, and Helen Pearl Adams.

Kivrin
(Ching Shih)
09/16/05 11:17 AM

Oh, no. I think there are a lot of good possibilities for 20th century also.

CaitlinM
(Ching Shih)
09/16/05 11:47 AM

For 2oth-century women journalists, add Martha Gellhorn and Geraldine Brooks. If this idea is chosen, Deborah will have to make some tough choices!

Kivrin
(Ching Shih)
09/16/05 06:39 PM

Yes, she will! In the meantime, I've thought of another. Again...I can't remember if we've done this one before and I don't feel like scrolling through the entire thread...but, how about women winners of the Nobel Peace Prize?

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
09/17/05 06:38 AM

Excellent suggestions, everyone! I went with women anarchists.

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
04/03/06 04:47 PM

Wow, it's been a while. Okay, we need new status names. Taking suggestions...

LaSalleUGirl
(Ching Shih)
04/03/06 05:41 PM

How about girl sleuths? Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, Donna Parker, one or both of the Dana Girls, Cherry Ames.

majael
(Ching Shih)
04/03/06 09:28 PM

How about vampires?

• Jody (from Christopher Moore's Bloodsucking Fiends)
  • Genevieve Dieudonne (from Kim Newman's Anno Dracula world)
  • Lucy Westenra (from Dracula)
  • Victory Nelson (from Tanya Huff's vampire mysteries)
  • Elisabeth Bathory (from real life)

ETA: I have more ideas. By the way, none of these quintets are in any particular order.

James Bond heroines (from the novels, not the movies):

• Gala Brand
  • Vivienne Michel
  • Teresa di Vicenzo
  • Tatiana Romanova
  • Solitaire

Coolly competent swordswomen:
  • Adela de Otero (created by Arturo Perez-Reverte)
  • Gil Patterson (created by Barbara Hambly)
  • Chakaal (created by Sergio Aragones)
  • Brienne of Tarth (created by George R.R. Martin)
  • Eowyn (created by J.R.R. Tolkien)

I may have more to add later. Coming up with lists of five is fun.

betsytacy
(Ching Shih)
04/05/06 01:13 PM

Here are a couple of ideas to keep the discussion going.

Pioneering dancers
- Katherine Dunham
- Isadora Duncan
- Maria Tallchief
- Martha Graham
- Twyla Tharp

Writers of horse stories (and I'm not sure why this popped into my head)
- Marguerite Henry (Misty of Chincoteague etc.)
- Anna Sewell (Black Beauty)
- Mary O'Hara (My Friend Flicka)
- Enid Bagnold (National Velvet)
- Jane Smiley (Horse Heaven)
I couldn't come up with a fifth well-known children's writer for this category so included Jane Smiley.

Teen writers of the 1950s and 1960s
- Betty Cavanna
- Anne Emery
- Rosamund du Jardin
- Lenora Mattingly Weber
- Beverly Cleary

LaSalleUGirl
(Ching Shih)
04/05/06 01:41 PM

I love the pioneering dancers idea, and I just had to give majael props for making me laugh my head off with "Elisabeth Bathory (from real life)." Hee.

How about feminist theorists?

Betty Friedan (RIP)
Simone de Beauvoir
Gilbert and Gubar
Helene Cixous
Luce Irigaray
Julia Kristeva

Ada_Doom
(Ching Shih)
04/06/06 08:26 AM

It might be a bit contentious, but what about female world leaders? My (heavily-edited) list is:

Ellen Johnstone-Sirleaf
Aung San Suu Kyi (by right if not in practice)
Mary Robinson
Sirimavo Bandaranaike
Kim Campbell

If any of those are objectionable or too obscure, you could also have Benazir Bhutto, Indira Ghandi, or Angela Merkel. Not Margaret Thatcher however - I refuse to be her every time I post (hence I thought the theme might be too contentious!).

(Edited because I can't spell)

majael
(Ching Shih)
04/09/06 09:47 PM

Fictional baseball players (still not in any particular order):

• Jennifer T. Rideout (created by Michael Chabon)
  • Patricia ("Peppermint Patty") Reichardt (created by Charles Schulz)
  • Linda Sunshine (created by Barbara Gregorich)
  • Virna Wilton (created by Alison Gordon)
  • Julia Nevez (created by Sparky Lyle)

ETA: Female pirates.

Real:
  • Anne Bonny
  • Mary Read
  • Cheng I Sao
  • Charlotte de Berry
  • Gráinne ni Mhaille (the Pirate Queen of Connacht)

Fictional:
  • Nancy Blackett, Captain of the Amazon (created by Arthur Ransome)
  • Minerva Sharpe (created by Celia Rees)
  • Lai Choi San, the Dragon Lady (created by Milton Caniff from the memoirs of Aleko E. Lilius)
  • Black Sheba the She-Wolf (created by George MacDonald Fraser)
  • Captain Joanna da Silva y Montreale, a.k.a. La Culebra (created by Jeffery Farnol)

Auroranorth
(Ching Shih)
05/17/06 02:26 PM

Women presidential candidates from around the world, successful, unsuccessful and we-don't-know?

*Victoria Woodhull (US, 1872, 1892)
*Prudencia Ayala (El Salvador, 1930)
*Fatima Jinnah, (Pakistan, 1963)
*Vigdís Finnbogadóttir (Iceland, first woman in the world elected president, 1980-1996)
*Mary Robinson (Ireland, 1990-1997)
*Ségolène Royal (France, current)

Ludmilla
(Ching Shih)
05/17/06 04:45 PM

oooh... I love the female, fictional pirate suggestion (and coolly competent swordswomen, too)!

mst78
(Ching Shih)
05/22/06 09:12 PM

Has a decision been made on which status names we will be changing to?

Priscilla
(Gráinne ni Mhaille)
06/02/06 12:35 AM

Can I revive a suggestion from last year that I don't think got used? Kidlit heroines who want to become authors...I've resurrected last year's picks:

Anne Shirley, from Anne of Green Gables

Emily Starr, another LMM heroine, of course...if you had to pick one, I'd go with her. She's far more passionate about becoming a writer than Anne. And besides, she's a little more "obscure", isn't she?

Jo March, from Little Women

Joey Bettany, from the Chalet School books

Francie Nolan, from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Rebecca Randall, from Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

Vicky Austin, from Madeleine L'Engle's Austin family series

And two others who were suggested last time, which I haven't heard of:
Betsy Ray
Tish Sterling

SoIAmGlad
(Ching Shih)
06/02/06 11:38 AM

I'm only half-kidding when I suggest taking a cue from this McSweeneys\' list of roller derby names for lit majors as our status names.

Quote:
Tess of the D'Urberkills

Anna Scar-enina

Maul Flanders

Jane Scare
Maybe closer to Halloween? Maybe never . . .

Perthelia
(Ching Shih)
06/02/06 01:10 PM

SoIAmGlad, that sounds like the credit roll at the end of a Halloween Simpsons special, hehe.

Priscilla
(Gráinne ni Mhaille)
06/05/06 09:10 AM

That's a good one, SoIAmGlad ;\)

On topic, I was just randomly thinking of other status name possibilities and remembered that someone had earlier suggested women Nobel Prize winners. I thought there would be way too many to choose from such a list, and I headed to the Nobel website to discover just how many women had won the Literature Prize anyway. Get this: ten. Just ten women have won that prize in over a century! I mean, I don't think the Nobel is the standard of literary achievement, but still, a measly figure like ten?! I ask you!

Anyway, here's the list: (I copied out the quotes from their citations. Let's honour them, the lonely ten.)

Selma Ottilia Lovisa Lagerlöf, Sweden, 1909 -- "in appreciation of the lofty idealism, vivid imagination and spiritual perception that characterize her writings"

Grazia Deledda, (pen-name of Grazia Madesani, née Deledda), Italy, 1926 -- "for her idealistically inspired writings which with plastic clarity picture the life on her native island and with depth and sympathy deal with human problems in general"

Sigrid Undset, Norway, 1928 -- "principially for her powerful descriptions of Northern life during the Middle Ages"

Pearl Buck, (pen-name of Pearl Walsh, née Sydenstricker), USA, 1938 -- "for her rich and truly epic descriptions of peasant life in China and for her biographical masterpieces"

Gabriela Mistral, (pen-name of Lucila Godoy y Alcayaga), Chile, 1945 -- "for her lyric poetry which, inspired by powerful emotions, has made her name a symbol of the idealistic aspirations of the entire Latin American world"

Nelly Sachs, Sweden, 1966 -- "for her outstanding lyrical and dramatic writing, which interprets Israel's destiny with touching strength"

Nadine Gordimer, South Africa, 1991 -- "who through her magnificent epic writing has - in the words of Alfred Nobel - been of very great benefit to humanity"

Toni Morrison, USA, 1993 -- "who in novels characterized by visionary force and poetic import, gives life to an essential aspect of American reality"

Wislawa Szymborska, Poland, 1996 -- "for poetry that with ironic precision allows the historical and biological context to come to light in fragments of human reality"

Elfriede Jelinek, Austria, 2004 -- "for her musical flow of voices and counter-voices in novels and plays that with extraordinary linguistic zeal reveal the absurdity of society's clichés and their subjugating power"

I've read Pearl Buck and Toni Morrison and since the Nobel website included a link to a Nadine Gordimer short story, I've read something of her too. But I must admit that's it. I did see a translation of Jelinek's novel (I think it was called The Piano Teacher) during a random bookshop browse last week. Has anyone read it? And are English translations available for any of the other writers on this list?

ETA that I just realised there's another thread discussing literary award winners and the abysmally low count of women awardees. Oh well, I made the discovery via Chicklit status name speculations.

LaSalleUGirl
(Ching Shih)
06/05/06 09:40 AM

Priscilla, one of my English department colleagues just taught a course on Women Nobel Winners, so I'm fairly certain that texts for most of the authors are available in English. I can't find her syllabus online, but if I can get in touch with her, I'll report details in the Literary Awards thread.

I really like the idea of using the Nobel winners as status names (although, since I've always wanted to be Marie Curie, it might be cool to include non-literature winners as well).

majael
(Ching Shih)
07/23/06 09:44 PM

Bump.

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
07/28/06 06:36 AM

New names, finally!

Since this seems to be the summer of pirates, I went with majael's suggestion of female pirates.

polly#2
(Ching Shih)
07/28/06 11:52 AM

Arrrrr.

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
04/04/07 10:51 PM

It looks like our status names disappeared in the move, and I'm not sure if we can still have them. I'll investigate. In the meantime, let's have suggestions for new ones...

majael
(Ching Shih)
06/14/07 06:28 PM

After only two months and change, my first suggestion:

Female leaders of the far-future teen superhero group the Legion of Super-Heroes:

- Imra Ardeen aka Saturn Girl
- Nura Nal aka Dream Girl
- Projectra aka Sensor Girl
- Jazmin Cullen aka Kid Quantum

If we need a fifth, the Legion is due to elect a new leader in their next issue, and it's going to be a girl; we just don't know which one yet. (Possibilities include Kara Zor-El aka Supergirl, Tasmia Malor aka Shadow Lass, and Theena, who isn't a superhero at all, although she is a neat character and would make the best leader of the three.)

majael
(Ching Shih)
06/15/07 04:16 PM

I guess I'll just chime in with these every so often.

Fictional female cats:

- Princess Arjumand, from the Connie Willis novel 'To Say Nothing of the Dog'
- Tao, from the novel 'The Incredible Journey'
- Firsa Roofshadow, from the Tad Williams novel 'Tailchaser's Song'
- Rhiow, from Diane Duane's novels 'The Book of Night With Moon' and 'To Visit the Queen'
- mehitabel, from the Don Marquis... writings... about archy and mehitabel, including the musical 'Shinbone Alley'

JohnConstantine
(Ching Shih)
06/17/07 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: majael

Female leaders of the far-future teen superhero group the Legion of Super-Heroes:

If we need a fifth, the Legion is due to elect a new leader in their next issue, and it's going to be a girl; we just don't know which one yet. (Possibilities include Kara Zor-El aka Supergirl, Tasmia Malor aka Shadow Lass, and Theena, who isn't a superhero at all, although she is a neat character and would make the best leader of the three.)

Hee! I like this. Don't forget about one of my favorite Legionnaires, Tinya Wazzo aka Phantom Girl aka Phase! (She was never a Legion leader, but was always one of the critical Legionnaires and a total badass) This does my geeky little comic book-lovin' heart good...

majael
(Ching Shih)
06/17/07 01:23 PM

I would never forget about Phantom Girl; she's been among my favourites at times too. (And she'd make a better leader, at the moment, than Shady or Supergirl.) She's just not one of the odds-on favourites at the moment, though.

Bear
(Ching Shih)
06/18/07 07:15 AM

Oooh, I like the cat one, not leaset because my own cat, Ju Ju, is named after Princess Arjumand...

majael
(Ching Shih)
06/27/07 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: majael

The new leader turned out to be Supergirl, or Kara Zor-El if we're going by civilian names.

majael
(Ching Shih)
06/29/07 12:56 PM

Drummers (not in order):

Sheila E (Prince, solo)
Maureen Tucker (Velvet Underground)
Meg White (White Stripes)
Honey Lantree (Honeycombs)
Cindy Blackman (Lenny Kravitz, solo)

deborahAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
06/29/07 01:42 PM

Great suggestions, everyone. I just haven't seemed to be able to find the place to change the status names...Anne's Friend, if you have a minute to root through the UBB thickets, could you take a look?

Anne's FriendAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
06/29/07 05:25 PM

Yes, sure - will e-mail you in a moment.

LaSalleUGirl
(Ching Shih)
02/10/14 11:53 AM

Saw this and thought immediately of our status names!

http://www.themarysue.com/maggie-q-ching-shih-tv-show/