SeattleShrew
(Ching Shih)
08/10/04 04:00 PM
Black Coffee in Bed or Tea and Sympathy? The Caffeine Thread

So, what’s your poison? Do you take it black, or with whipped cream and two kinds of syrup? Will only one esoteric tea do, or will you drink any swill containing caffeine?

I love coffee; I take it with milk (not cream) – no sugar. At home I use a drip machine and occasionally a French press. I consider espresso best made by a professional, and enjoy cappuccinos and the occasional straight espresso when I’m feeling ornery. Formerly I disdained decaffeinated coffee, but at my advanced age it is decaf after dark or insomnia.

Keckler
(Ching Shih)
08/10/04 04:18 PM
Re: Black Coffee in Bed or Tea and Sympathy? The Caffeine Thread

I'm quite proud of myself for weaning myself off Starbuck's type drinks -- where I needed flavor shots and whipped cream to temper the espresso -- and really enjoying the regular coffee we make at home. For one, the coffee bill was getting ridiculous and for two, I've just learned that regular coffee has more caffeine.

I went from heavily sweet mochas in college to flavored lattes in my first publishing job to regular black coffee and milk (no sugar for me, either). I still need the milk. Although, every once in awhile, I will go out and get a mocha -- especially if I'm having "one of those days" and I still adore Gingerbread lattes in the autumn.

I'm also a big tea drinker. Earl Grey from Twinings is preferable but I also favor Bigelow's Lemon Lift and Constant Comment. Recently, I've been drinking a lot of green teas. Bigelow just came out with Earl Grey and lemon-flavored green tea that are pretty tasty.

My other major form of caffeine is Diet Coke. Cherry, lime, or plain, but absolutely no vanilla.

goo
(Ching Shih)
08/10/04 05:52 PM

Oh coffee. I would not be able to work without it. Strong espresso, with milk or without, no sugar. I have a stove top Italian espresso maker, which gets used very frequently. Macchiato if I need some froth. Cappuccino if I'm with my mum \:\)

I love a cuppa tea on occasion, any kind, but green is my favourite - boiling water, with the bag or ball dipped in for a few seconds only, and an ice cube. Or chai. Or Lady Grey with lemon. Or camomile and lavender.

Kopiko lollies are also great, and chocolate covered coffee beans.

Catness
(Ching Shih)
08/10/04 06:40 PM

Oh coffee, how do I love thee? If I were a poet, I would write great long sonnets of love to coffee.

I came late to coffee drinking. My whole life, I had been surrounded by people who added sweet and milk/cream to their coffee. Considering my distate for mixing certain flavors together, it's understandable that coffee would not have been high on my list of beverage choices. In my mid-20s, I was working late... okay, all night, trying to get a project done, I had that little Gevalia coffeemaker and a pound of coffee (I had wanted the coffeemaker for making tea) and that kept me up all night.

Oh coffee! I moved away from Wisconsin and coffee in a can at the same time. Coffee shop culture was just getting started when I left with three coffee shops opening in my slowly gentrifying neighborhood. Here in Seattle, everyone is all about the coffee. No, I don't drink Starbucks and I don't know anyone who does. Seattle's Best? Yeah, maybe if they start teaching their baristas how to stop oversteaming the milk.

I patronize local shops for my hardcore latte fixes. I buy the darkest beans I can get, usually Deadman's Reach from Raven\'s Brew . Lately, I have been having a flirtation with a dark blend called Oceania which I get at my local crunch granola store.

I cannot abide an insipid coffee. Black, bitter, and wonderful. If I can see light through the glass carafe, it is not strong enough.

naomism
(Ching Shih)
08/10/04 06:41 PM

Tea, please. My absolute favorite is Prince of Wales, followed closely by Earl Grey. Tetley actually has a green tea blend that I like as well. At the moment, with the whole pregnancy thing, I am caffeine free, and will probably remain so until I'm through nursing. Luckily, enough teas come in decaffinated varieties to keep me happy.

listersgirl
(Ching Shih)
08/10/04 08:34 PM

Caffeine kills my stomach and I don't like regular milk, so both coffee and tea mean that I end up being one of those people with obnoxious complicated orders.

I drink a lot of herbal teas - English toffee, cocoa spice, Bengal spice, licorice and ginger in particular. I've also started drinking more regular tea (Tetley's by preference, with soy milk and sugar - it's comfort food), much to the delight of my parents, who are heavy tea drinkers.

I've never been a coffee drinker, because of the caffeine, but in the past year I've discovered the joy of the decaf soy latte. It's like hot liquid crack.

Keckler
(Ching Shih)
08/10/04 08:44 PM

For those SF Bay Area folks -- or maybe even all of CA -- there's a great organic coffee I adore called Blue Bottle Coffee. I usually get it a Frog Hollow Bakery in the Ferry Building. It's sublime.

Mara2
(Ching Shih)
08/10/04 11:50 PM

I haven't yet had a coffee today, it's nearly 3 in the afternoon and people are backing out of my office slowly then running away quickly. I really need to look at lowering my caffeine consumption because I get so very cranky when I don't have any!

portuguesa_nova
(Ching Shih)
08/11/04 12:07 AM

I believe I'm aging at 9 times the rate of an average human being on the inside and 20 times on the outside because of my caffeine and nicotine consumption habits.

My Mediterranean-born other half got me addicted to two daily smoke/espresso breaks...I drink three cans of diet coke throughout the work day and usually have a couple of cups of tea at night.

Blech.

I feel sick just reading about it.

I don't know if its all psychosomatic, but I get headaches if I deviate from the routine.

art_geek
(Gráinne ni Mhaille)
08/11/04 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Catness:
Here in Seattle, everyone is all about the coffee. No, I don't drink Starbucks and I don't know anyone who does.
I do know Seattle people who do, but it's mostly those in my big downtown office building who I tend to think don't know any better. There's a distinct lack of cool indie coffee shops downtown so I usually just drink the office's coffee. (Which is, of course, Starbucks. I am so not a purist.)

Quote:
Catness:I cannot abide an insipid coffee. Black, bitter, and wonderful. If I can see light through the glass carafe, it is not strong enough.
Oh yeah. I have a particular love for diner coffee (so thick you can stand a spoon in it!) that's probably insane, but who can complain with a $1 botomless cup?

devilbrat1
(Ching Shih)
08/11/04 12:31 PM

Hello, My name is Sam and I am a Starbucks junkie. For this summer, the drink has been the java chip frap. I have one of these every morning. In the winter time I have a double shot white chocolate mocha with extra whip cream every morning. I don't put sugar in my coffee. If I get a regular coffee I use a little bit of caramel or condensed milk. If not available, a little bit of hot chocolate works. My bn discount comes in handy at times.

My Starbucks habit is something that I need to break. It's expensive. I keep saying this but I keep buying the coffee every morning. The one good thing that has come out of this habit is I bring my lunch to work everyday. Can't afford to buy both coffee and lunch everyday.

At home with dinner I have 1 cup of tea with brown sugar along with about 2 cups of water. I don't really drink colas or carbonated beverages. I average about maybe 3 cans of pepsi a year. I do drink a lot of water though. Throughout the workday, I drink about 7-10 cups of water. Throughout a given day, I probably drink about 15 cups of water. I am always thirsty.

carrotbat
(Ching Shih)
08/11/04 01:56 PM

I'm a (weekday) daily visitor to the Tully's in my office building, and about 90% of the time my drink is a nonfat mocha with Dilletante chocolate and no whipped cream (bleugh).

At home, I stick to tea. The CarrotMan and I have two entire kitchen drawers full of tea, out of seven drawers overall. I blame this overconsumption of space on my parents, who have been known to go to other countries (okay, got to Canada) for the sole purpose of buying tea.

Kivrin
(Ching Shih)
08/11/04 02:41 PM

I spent a lot of time working as an expresso barista in my late teens through my 20's. (Just Desserts in SF, for you Bay Areans!) and I grew very tired of coffee and coffee drinks. Even the smell of coffee. My coffeehouse coffee habit was very tied into a nicotine habit back in those days. I sort of lost the taste for coffee when I gave up the smokes.

I started drinking tea instead and developed quite an addiction to strong black teas. Lately,after many coffee-free years, I find myself ordering a coffee when I'm out and about, but more often I'll order a Chai.

On my tea shelf, I have a large box of Constant Comment, a large box of Yorkshire Gold, Ty-Phoo, Tazo Chai and Tazo Earl Grey, Republic of Tea Mango Ceylon, Republic of Tea Earl Greyer and Republic of Tea Chai.

My husband keeps a pound of good Santa Cruzan coffee on the top shelf of the tea shelf at all times, and once in awhile, I'll make a nice cup of coffee at home.

Santa Cruz is very similar to Seattle in its adoration of coffee. Within the few blocks of our main downtown area, there are at least 15 coffeehouses.

Chai is very popular here also. I prefer Nub Circus Chai but don't often go to the trouble to prepare it myself! I order it from the Expresso Cart, outside my favorite bookstore instead.

TraceyB
(Ching Shih)
08/11/04 03:19 PM

I believe I may be the only person of Swedish extraction who doesn't like coffee. I've never liked it, although I do like the smell.

For me, it's tea, Earl Grey, hot. I like most tea, actually, but Earl Grey's my favorite.

Summertime, we always have iced tea in the refrigerator. (Not the half-sugar version that's known as the "house wine of the South.") We've been making iced tea with a lovely black current tea from our local co-op.

FishDreamerAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
08/11/04 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by art_geek:
There's a distinct lack of cool indie coffee shops downtown so I usually just drink the office's coffee.
art_geek, I don't know if you work anywhere near me in downtown Seattle, but on Third Avenue across the street from the Washington Mutual tower is a Pegasus coffee (from Bainbridge Island). I think that's just south of Union. Also on Third Avenue, I think a block south of the Wells Fargo building is another one. Cross street might be James or Cherry.

I used to go to the Tully's down the street instead of the Starbucks in my building, but now I go to Pegasus. I also get their beans to take home, and am very happy with them. I like my coffee strong, and agree with Catness that it should NOT be possible to see light through my coffee. I do not, however, like French roast.

And hello if that doesn't pinpoint my location to anyone who knows Seattle! Oh, and I take my coffee with milk and sugar. I rarely have lattes unless I need a dessert kind of thing, and then I'll get one with cinnamon or coconut syrup. I used to drink them all the time, but then I spent some time scraping for bus fare to and from work every day and couldn't afford it.

miercoles
(Ching Shih)
08/11/04 04:17 PM

Quote:
I have a particular love for diner coffee (so thick you can stand a spoon in it!) that's probably insane, but who can complain with a $1 botomless cup?
There's a breakfast place in town that has a great cappuccino, and I admit to being biased because they actually serve it in a chunky mug. None of these dainty cappuccino mugs or paper cups I get elsewhere. Not enough coffee shops serve coffee in those thick, squat mugs that look like a ten-year-old shaped and glazed them in art class.

SeattleShrew
(Ching Shih)
08/11/04 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FishDreamer:
And hello if that doesn't pinpoint my location to anyone who knows Seattle!
No worries, I for one am not a Chicklit Stalker ... yet.

Catness - thank you much for the Raven's Brew link. I've been too lazy about seeking out special coffee. They seem quite reasonably priced, in addition to socially responsible and all that good jazz.

I too try to avoid Starbucks, SBC and Tully's. Not too difficult, except at the airport and in Las Vegas. Though I did get a coffee at the Aurora Larry's Peet's this morning ... talk about pinpointing locations!

goovie
(Ching Shih)
08/11/04 04:59 PM

I *am* a Chicklit stalker, but frankly, FishDreamer, I love you and all, but I'm just too lazy to stalk anyone that far away from me. \:\)

On topic, I am a coffee wuss--it's gotta be as light as possible, and full of cream and sugar, before I'll consider drinking it. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that I'll take chai or hot chocolate over coffee any day.

mjforty
(Ching Shih)
08/11/04 05:17 PM

I am a coffee fiend and I come from a long line of coffee fiends. Everyone in my family drinks coffee all day long. We can drink two shots of expresso right before bedtime and sleep just fine. I also need the coffee to be strong. I hate weak coffee and would rather not drink anything at all. I am also not a fan of flavored coffee and have no problem avoiding Starbucks since, when I do meet friends at Starbucks, I generally just order a redeye. I don't mind a cafe latte or cappacino after dinner but generally just a regular cup of coffee is what works best for me.

I do not like hot tea for some reason. Iced tea is fine but hot tea? No thank you.

I also drink way too much diet coke. My work supplies pop for free and so I think I'm drinking a six pack of pop a day on top of hte coffee.

Keckler
(Ching Shih)
08/11/04 05:22 PM

Quote:
For me, it's tea, Earl Grey, hot. I like most tea, actually, but Earl Grey's my favorite.
TracyB, are you a Trekkie?

athena98122
(Ching Shih)
08/11/04 05:55 PM

But goovie, there's so many stalker-worthy Chicklterati in Seattle!

Plus, y'know, me.

Coffee. When I'm at home, a pot a day. No Starbucks, obviously. Tully's is my chain of choice, but I live in a darned good neighborhood for coffee, so I generally don't have to worry about that.

Usually herbal teas at night. I used to have a serious peppermint tea addiction.

art_geek
(Gráinne ni Mhaille)
08/11/04 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FishDreamer:
art_geek, I don't know if you work anywhere near me in downtown Seattle, but on Third Avenue across the street from the Washington Mutual tower is a Pegasus coffee...
If I thought about it a little, I could totally stalk you, but I'm not gonna. I'm actually much closer to an Il Toretezonne (or however you spell it) and to Monorail Espresso, but I'm honestly just Lazy. (When I do get an espresso drink, I go to the Tully's in my building. They have a chocolate grinder which makes my Americanos scrumptious.)

FishDreamerAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
08/11/04 10:02 PM

I believe it's Torrefazione or something close to that. They do pretty good coffee, and I always get amused by their service style.

I love the grinder things at Tullys.

And as to the stalkers, I'm not so much worried about anyone who posts here, it's more the potential hordes of lurkers.

Oh, and I also drink tea. Particularly Scottish tea imported from Edinborough when I can get it, but also Earl Grey and Irish Breakfast tea and herbal teas and green tea. It's just more of a winter thing, because I don't like iced tea.

Catness
(Ching Shih)
08/11/04 10:45 PM

Just so you know, Starbucks bought Torrefazione and Seattle\'s Best last year.

Perthelia
(Ching Shih)
08/11/04 11:30 PM

I had the best experience in my office building Tully's when I finished reading Dan Savage's Skipping Towards Gomorrah and, upon reading the afterword, realized that he had written a great deal of the book in that very place.

That was before I moved away from Seattle, though. The other day I was trying to cross a street in my new hometown to get to one of the three Starbucks, and after five minutes of the light not changing, turned around and walked up the street to a wonderful local coffee shop that also had used books and high speed internet and sandwiches and big couches to sit on while you enjoyed them all.

As may be discerned, I like coffee. I like a mocha in the winter, an iced mocha in the summer, and I'll sidetrack through McDonald's to get SBC instead of drinking the dreadful swill they sell at the office. At home I have a grind and brew machine which has served me well for about five years. After my last pregnancy I was drinking decaf, but have been slowly adding regular back in until I've tipped the balance back. Now it's a midnight black french roast bean with a few leftover decaf beans tossed on top almost as an afterthought.

Edited because although it came afterward, it was an afterword.

PrimulaMary
(Ching Shih)
08/12/04 02:09 AM

I am a caffeine lover. I love coffee. I love tea. I particularly love Diet Coke with Lime, which is a gift from the gods.

My everyday tea blend is Lady Grey, which I drink black (like I drink most of my teas). I love new and different tea mixes, and right now I'm loving a blend of black tea and vanilla for the last cup of tea after dinner.

Coffee is a weekend/morning/workaday drink, and I like it simple -- black filter coffee at home, double shot lattes when out or at work. And it better be strong.

I will admit to Starbucks Frappuccinos in summer -- the regular and Mango Citrus Iced Tea versions are my faves.

Diet Coke with Lime is my standard cola beverage. Lemon Diet Coke is strictly a breakfast cola beverage, with Vanilla Diet Coke being more of an after-dinner or dessert option. (Cherry Diet Coke, of course, being the work of Satan.)

I'm lucky that I've got a system that's quite amenable to a reasonably high, steady caffeine intake. (The docs also tell me I need plenty of salt in my diet. I love the docs, although sometimes I'm a little worried that they went to the Hollywood Upstairs School of Medicine.)

Keckler
(Ching Shih)
08/12/04 03:03 AM

I have to admit, I don't like Lady Grey at all. I tried but it tasted of Band-Aids. Maybe it was just the Fortum & Mason blend?

Fiordiligi
(Ching Shih)
08/12/04 03:40 AM

I don't drink tea except on holiday in Cornwall when it goes with the scones and jam and cream! Then it is "tea, Earl Grey, hot" and yes I am a Trekkie. Never heard of Lady Grey.

Coffee? We use Lavazza Bar or Mako Gold in our Miele built-in coffee machine. Both are "professional" blends which we get from an old-fashioned Italian delicatessen in the "little Italy" part of Clerkenwell here in London. The machine grinds the beans before making the coffee and a combination of the beans and the pressure gives a very good "crema."

Daegaer
(Ching Shih)
08/12/04 04:28 AM

I like instant coffee. Maxwell House, Marks and Spencer's, anything but Nescafe, really. I also like ordinary filter coffee, but never drank much in the way of fancy coffee-shop ones. This may have been a matter of opportunity.

But tea - tea is so much more in favour in Ireland. I like ordinary tea or Earl Grey with milk, no sugar. Quite a lot of milk, mmmm. As I'm not meant to have any caffeine anymore, this makes me sad. Decaf isn't great, as I'm not supposed to have milk, and black tea/coffee tast icky to me. I've been drinking a lot of peppermint tea, or mixing peppermint and green tea.

listersgirl you said you drank tea with soya milk - how do you manage to stop the milk from curdling? If I do as suggested, and pour slightly cooled tea or coffee into soya milk it curdles. If I pour the milk in to the tea, it curdles. If I heat the milk slightly and then put the tea/coffee in it begins to curdle, tastes odd and by the time I get halfway down, it curdles. The only real success I've had is to bring the milk almost to the boil, then add really cool coffee and let it heat the coffee. What simple thing am I not doing?

sophietje
(Ching Shih)
08/12/04 08:00 AM

ooo, caffeine. I need some right now, but I'm too lazy to walk to the kitchen, so I'll write about it instead.

I have one cup of tea and one soda a day. Tea is always either Typhoo (but that's only because I seem to have a lot of it) or Barry's Gold. I make it strong and add easily a quarter again of milk (or a little less cream) and 2 spoons of sugar. By this point it tastes almost like hot chocolate. My soda of choice is either Dr Pepper or one of these new 1/2 calorie cokes/ pepsis. They don't have the disgusting aftertaste of diet (which I've never liked).

Whenever I pass a Starbucks or other specialty coffee place, I get a chai (venti, please). And my favorite coffee drink is a cappucino from one of those cheap machines at a gas station (or in my case at Tim Horton's). They're kind of like drinking a melted coffee ice cream shake.

Can you tell I like sugar? My dentist sure can.

TraceyB
(Ching Shih)
08/12/04 08:38 AM

Quote:
TracyB, are you a Trekkie?
Yup. I figured there'd be someone around here who'd get that reference!

crumpet2
(Ching Shih)
08/12/04 09:40 AM

Lavazza Rosso. I don't think I need to say more.

FishDreamerAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
08/12/04 11:49 AM

PrimulaMary, I am with you on the diet Coke with lime love. I also drink the lemon and sometimes the vanilla (depends on what's available at the store) but the diet cherry is VILE.

Coffee. Catness, I hadn't forgotten about our top three coffee companies becoming one last year. I never went to SBC so don't know if it changed anything, but Torrefazione seems to be about the same. It's a ways out of my way so I never go there.

I used to go to Tully's until the nice barista guy disappeared and was replaced by a rude woman. Pegasus makes better coffee. And I have a cup right here! I'm going to drink it now!

And I'm sorry, crumpet2, but I have no idea what Lavaza Rosso is. I'll go look it up.

ainsley
(Ching Shih)
08/12/04 01:03 PM

Every word of goovie's post holds true to me.

As for tea...keep the milk as far away as possible. And bring on the sugar! It's the one concession I make to being from the South. I'm cutting back on the sugar, though, because of the squashy factor.

I don't know much about tea teas, other than that I like Earl Grey, because so much of my energy is devoted to organic mint tea. Mint cures everything (well, allergies and gastrointestinal woes), and tastes great, so I don't venture far.

naomism
(Ching Shih)
08/12/04 03:42 PM

I love Southern sweet tea...but I do like milk or cream in my hot tea in the winter. I got hooked on "milk tea," which came in cans in vending machines, when I lived in Japan, many, many moons ago.

PrimulaMary
(Ching Shih)
08/12/04 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keckler:
I have to admit, I don't like Lady Grey at all. I tried but it tasted of Band-Aids. Maybe it was just the Fortum & Mason blend?
My standard Lady Grey is the Twinings blend, of which I'm incredibly fond. My dad calls it "chick tea" when he comes to visit, but guzzles it down anyway. I've never tried the Fortnum's blend -- maybe it's awful. I've always had a sneaking belief that the tins are the best thing about Fortnum & Mason teas.

MamaAlanna
(Ching Shih)
08/12/04 08:24 PM

Tea, any kind, hot, iced, herb, whathaveyou.

Only not -- definitely notnotNOT -- decaffeinated black tea. I bought a box once, used one bag, took one good swig, poured the rest down the sink and threw away the box of teabags. Tasted like aquarium water. Bleah! :p

Keckler
(Ching Shih)
08/12/04 10:03 PM

Quote:
Yup. I figured there'd be someone around here who'd get that reference!
That's just awesome.

Quote:
I've always had a sneaking belief that the tins are the best thing about Fortnum & Mason teas.
When you can get them open, that is.

Kivrin
(Ching Shih)
08/12/04 10:45 PM

It's interesting how many people here like Earl Grey and Lady Grey teas. I've had the Twinings Lady Grey, black, but I was afraid to put Half & Half in it because it seemed like it would curdle. It's a bit too lemony or something. I did like it though, but I prefer lots of cream in my tea--and sugar. I keep a large sugar bowl filled with sugar cubes on my kitchen counter.

I love iced tea too, but I never sweeten it, or put milk in it. I used to make jars of sun tea, but now I just buy a bottled unsweetened tea from the store-- Tejava ! I really love that tea.

I know that my insomnia is directly related to how much caffeine I consume each day, but decaf just doesn't do it for me. And herb teas? No thanks.

Mara2
(Ching Shih)
08/12/04 11:07 PM

Does anyone else quite like instant coffee or am I alone in my shame?

I do prefer plunger/brewed/coffee shop coffee, but I think my brain and my tastebuds just regard instant coffee as a completely different caffeinated drink. I do have a particular way I make instant though that noone else seems to get quite right - milk in first, precise addition of 1 flat tsp sugar etc.

Mr Mara, despite many admirable qualities, has yet to make me a cup of coffee that I've found drinkable.

On the tea front, I really like Twinings Lemon scented tea, and just good old Bushells black tea.

ainsley
(Ching Shih)
08/13/04 09:43 AM

How long does tea last? I know I'm selling my tea experience short because I use teabags (just wouldn't have a clue what to do with leaves), but how long is the tea good for?

felinity
(Ching Shih)
08/13/04 11:21 AM

Oh, tea, I couldn't get through the day without it! I'll generally drink any type if it's the only one available, although English Breakfast, Chai and Assam are all permanent fixtures in my kitchen. Not a fan of Earl Grey, although I do like Lady Grey if I'm in the mood for it.

ainsley, I've never had tea bags/leaves long enough (without using them) for them to have gone stale, so I couldn't say for sure, but I'd say it's definitely good for a couple of years. There's nothing there to go off, really, is there?

goo
(Ching Shih)
08/13/04 12:21 PM

Mara2 wrote:
 Quote:
Does anyone else quite like instant coffee or am I alone in my shame?
Pick me, pick me. I really like Moccona espresso, mocha kenya and indulgence, and even find Blend 43 quite drinkable. I use two teaspoons of coffee though, and milk always goes in the mug first.

Ugh ugh ugh International Roast. That has to be the worst coffee on the planet.

SeattleShrew
(Ching Shih)
08/13/04 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mara2:
my brain and my tastebuds just regard instant coffee as a completely different caffeinated drink.
Mine too. Nothing flavored, but I enjoy an occasional Nescafe. Has to be Mexican Nescafe though, which I used to get when I lived in San Diego. Is tolerable instant coffee a Latin American thing?

Quote:
Ugh ugh ugh International Roast
Do you mean General Foods International Blends? They are vile. And remember those awful commercials, where two perky women reminisced about their vacation in France and squealed about someone named Jean Luc? I seriously doubt "French Vanilla Nut" is available in Europe.

PrimulaMary
(Ching Shih)
08/14/04 02:46 AM

I can't remember who makes/distributes International Roast in Australia, but here are pictures of the tins in all their glory. Principally so you can avoid them.

Daegaer
(Ching Shih)
08/14/04 04:26 AM

Mara2, let me join you in your instant coffee shame! It's quite normal here to see instannt as perfectly drinkable.

Ooh, while I was on holiday, we made a day trip to Spain, and in a Spanish supermarket we couldn't resist byiing some of the apparently most popular brand of coffee. Called "Bonka". Hee hee! Yes, I am five.

najeena
(Ching Shih)
08/14/04 06:23 PM

I'm another trekker who lives near Seattle on the island where, until very recently, Seattle's Best Coffee was roasted. I drink my coffee black, and cut myself off about three hours before bed. It's true, we take it rather seriously here. I know people who put cinnamon in it, even cardamon. The band-aid taste- I find that in Prince of Wales tea. I'd rather have Darjeeling, thanks. Coffee, tea... anything but pop.

miercoles
(Ching Shih)
08/16/04 02:10 PM

Is there a good brand for chai tea bags? I keep getting chai at coffee shops, and that's a habit I can't quite afford.

Also, I'm on the lookout for a travel coffee mug, but I haven't had any luck. The two catches are: it must be sturdy and have a lid that closes well (so I can take it on the bus), and it must be microwaveable (so I can slowly drink the coffee throughout the day). If the sturdy ones have a plastic body, they usually have stainless steel somewhere inside for insulation. Maybe I'm just used to the crappy plastic ones I get for free when opening a checking account -- do the sturdy things really keep the coffee warm for hours?

Angiv
(Ching Shih)
08/16/04 05:29 PM

Twinings have nice Chai, but the bags stick together something awful. It is really good tea though, for bagged stuff. Especially nice with cake.

I love tea. I like coffee, but I love tea. When I didn't have a job, I could indulge my tea fetish with ease (I always found the money for tea and books), but now it's much harder. I take my tea seriously, and I like to have a whole pot of leaf tea. This is tricky when I leave the house just after 7AM, and am up all night if I consume caffeine after 3PM. I have piles of tea that are approaching or have passed their use-by dates. It makes me very sad.

I love Lapsang Souchong and Russian Caravan for their smokiness. I love Chai for its spice, Lady Gray for its citrusy zest. I love Assam for its malty goodness, and Kenya for its strength.

I recently met Rooibos, which is a wecome addition to my (not so) little tea collection. It's not really tea, is caffeine-free and low in tannin, and tastes yummy. Hurrah for Whittards !

Ria
(Ching Shih)
08/16/04 05:53 PM

Tea has a use-by date?

MamaAlanna
(Ching Shih)
08/16/04 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ria:
Tea has a use-by date?
I think Our Benevolent Government In Its Wisdom Has Decreed Use-by Dates On All Foodstuffs. (It's 30 years for Spam, BTW!)

In the case of tea, it might lose some flavor over time, since some of the volatile oils will escape. It should still be perfectly drinkable, since it can't spoil in the usual sense of the word. I'd ignore the 'use-by' date, myself.

Angiv
(Ching Shih)
08/16/04 06:30 PM

Well, it's a dried leaf, so eventually all the flavour evaporates. See me, trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about. If I'm honest, it's only very recently that I've ha tea long enough for it to reach its use-by date.

I mean, it's still drinkable, it's just not as nice.

voiceofreason
(Ching Shih)
08/16/04 08:27 PM

Yeah, I accidentally bought two large tins of loose Earl Grey a long time ago, and by the time I was done with the first tin, it just didn't taste as good as it had in the beginning. I only used a little bit from the second tin before I threw it out (and bought more, in a nice small container). Probably especially with teas that have essential oils added (e.g. Earl Grey), the oils tend to evaporate.

I had some really nice tea (from bags) at a relative's house. I think the company was called Emily Rose? There were a lot of different flavors (herbal and real tea), but I only tried the Earl Grey (called, I think, Organic Bergamot) and the English Breakfast (aka Commonwealth Mornings or something), which were both really good for tea from bags.

Mara2
(Ching Shih)
08/16/04 11:16 PM

Are other countries getting the flavoured black teas that are currently being unleased on the Australian market? Lipton is putting out caramel-flavoured tea, cookies and cream and vanilla.

The vanilla is passable, with milk and honey, but I just can't come at the idea of the other two.

And the ads! A woman is sitting down to a cup of tea in a glass mug, then all of a sudden she munches into it, because it's all lovely and gooey like caramel, but every time I see it I can't help but shudder at the thought of crunching into glass. Ech.

PrimulaMary
(Ching Shih)
08/16/04 11:48 PM

I haven't tried the mass-produced versions, but the Spoon deli in Brisbane has their own black tea and vanilla blend which I drink black. It's beautifully smooth and not overly sweet.

I haven't seen the ads, but I think when I do I'll suffer the same reaction!

Selena
(Ching Shih)
08/17/04 02:34 AM

Quote:
Are other countries getting the flavoured black teas that are currently being unleased on the Australian market? Lipton is putting out caramel-flavoured tea, cookies and cream and vanilla.
I have the vanilla tea and I quite like it. I've been drinking it (black) almost steadily since I bought it despite having many other teas on hand right now. I haven't seen any advertising for it, or the other two flavours you mention (and they do sound disgusting) - I just happened to spot the vanilla tea in the supermarket here in Canada and thought it looked interesting. Lipton's vanilla-flavoured tea is the first I've had, so I can't compare it any other brands.

Crescent Moon
(Ching Shih)
08/17/04 02:46 AM

I recently tried the new Lipton's hazelnut flavoured tea and it was decidedly odd. I tried it black and didn't like it, so then I put milk in and it tasted a little bit better, but I'm not going to buy it again. It seems to me they are trying to market the new flavours towards people who generally only drink coffee.

blithe spirit
(Ching Shih)
08/17/04 08:31 AM

I'm addicted to a new brand of tea called Stash. Their Vanilla Hazelnut tea is amazing. I drink it black and it's one of those teas that smells much stronger than it tastes, so I breathe it in, but it's not too sweet. They have a really nice Peach tea as well.

betso26
(Ching Shih)
08/17/04 10:18 AM

I hate to bring bad news, blithe, but I've been drinking Stash for years, so it's not new - but you're right that they do have really great teas.

I'm also a big fan of the Numi teas and Traditional Medicinals - especially the chais (with spun honey and cream - yum!)

blithe spirit
(Ching Shih)
08/17/04 11:44 AM

hey, that's okay - must be new to my supermarket. I'm just happy to have found them!

betso26
(Ching Shih)
08/17/04 12:24 PM

mmm humm! Keep trying more as they come to your market. I think it is Stash that has a double bergamot earl grey that is the tasty stuff.

miercoles
(Ching Shih)
08/17/04 12:59 PM

I couldn't find Twinings chai at the grocery store last night, so I bought some Stash chai. I'd never had that brand before, so this morning when I opened up Chicklit I was very glad to see blithe spirit's review!

And the chai was indeed very tasty.

fennel
(Ching Shih)
08/17/04 02:32 PM

I love coffee. Cheapo Tim Horton's coffee (milk, no sugar, and the place near me makes it nice and strong) or fancy Starbucks frothy drinks (although I try to support Second Cup, cuz Starbucks is trying to run them out of business). Unfortunately I have a low caffeine tolerance, which means I have to watch my coffee consumption, or I start to shake (I was raised to believe that decaf coffee is akin to the devil!). I've also discovered that I become addicted to the stuff quite readily. On a recent Cuban vacation I drank a ton of lattes because it was freezing and they were free; upon returning home I went back to normal caffeine consumption levels and had the worst headache I have ever had in my entire life. Not doing that again.

Another odd thing is I cannot make my own coffee. I must have a defective gene, or something, because no matter how carefully I try any coffee I make ends up tasting awful. I fare slightly better with tea!

I'm also prone to iced tea addiction (Nestea is my crack).

Loz
(Ching Shih)
08/18/04 01:25 AM

I love tea - always with two sugars, and the blacker the better. I don't know if it's a German thing, but my tea drinking habits always alarm my mostly-milk friends. If it's been a very bad day, I may add a smidgin of milk to my last cup of the evening, but usually I want tea dark enough to stain the cup.

I also love lemon tea, which I drink with honey rather than sugar - I often start my day that way in winter.

Oddly, I absolutely hate coffee. I've had about three cups in my life, at least one of which was extremely good (said the cofee lovers I was with), and none of which I could finish. Since I can't have cream/chocolate/syrup to make things more palatable, I think I'm a lost cause there.

setara
(Ching Shih)
08/18/04 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by betso26:
I'm also a big fan of the Numi teas
I bought Numi tea for the first time and just loved it. I got Ginger Oolong Tea because the description on the box was just too marvelous. It read:

The vivacity of ginger mingles delightfully with soulful Shui Hsein, releasing an entrancing orchid flavor that invites wakeful meditation.

Wakeful meditation… how could I resist? Mr. S told me that I got caught by some smart marketing scheme. According to him those guys must had known exactly who their target consumer was, and that I fit the mold perfectly. Well, maybe it is true, but after my first cup this morning I am glad I bought it. I don’t think I achieved a state o wakeful meditation, but I loved the tea nevertheless.

Kivrin
(Ching Shih)
08/19/04 06:11 PM

Setara--I just bought Numi Chai tea. Nice flavor, but it's much milder than I thought it would be. I think it might work better if I use two tea bags per cup.

So, with Chai on my mind...

Quote:
Is there a good brand for chai tea bags? I keep getting chai at coffee shops, and that's a habit I can't quite afford.
Miercoles--After searching high and low, I've come to the conclusion that there is no perfect chai in tea bag form. I spend $3 at my favorite coffee stand, out in front of my favorite bookstore, for the best cup of chai. It's the steamed milk. It's the twist of orange they float on the top of the milk. It's way expensive...isn't it? Stopping by the cart after a trip to the bookstore is almost an equal habit to the book shopping beforehand.

My coffee cart women use Nub Chai concentrate so I bought the concentrate and tried to make it at home and it still didn't turn out right.

I do like Nub, and Up N' Atom bulk chai blends, both local Santa Cruz companies. But, I rarely feel like going through the work of simmering the herbs, sweetening, adding the perfect amount of milk...etc...

So. Tea bags then! The best one I've found so far is Republic Chai . Second best would probably be Tazo Chai. I'll keep looking for the perfect tea bag for us though.

Thinking about flavored teas...

Republic of Tea makes a great Mango Ceylon. I like the Blackberry Sage too. (Alizarin mentioned it upthread I think)
Taylors of Harrogate has a beautiful Mango, and a lovely Blackcurrant, and a nice, robust Earl Grey, but they are difficult to find here, and once found, they do cost a great deal of money...

MamaAlanna
(Ching Shih)
08/21/04 04:11 PM

Yum, Taylors of Harrogate! One of the things I miss about England. I've still got part of a box that I'm hoarding.

Kivrin
(Ching Shih)
08/21/04 06:35 PM

MamaAlanna--Of the two places in my town that sell Taylors of Harrogate--One has gone out of business, and the other no longer wants to order it, as it doesn't sell well there. So. I've been searching and am happy to tell you, if all else fails...Amazon.com has it!

MamaAlanna
(Ching Shih)
08/21/04 08:04 PM

Oh, wow, thanks, Kivrin! I'll add some to my wish list! \:\)

Fiordiligi
(Ching Shih)
08/22/04 11:20 AM

Also, Taylors is owned by the wonderful Bettys (old-fashioned tea rooms in Yorkshire). They do mail order but I realise that this might be impractical for those of you in the US. They have a web site too.

jen in the rain
(Gráinne ni Mhaille)
08/22/04 11:15 PM

Santa Cruz Coffee Roasting Company makes an excellent, rich coffee called Chocolate Bluesbreaker. Made extremely strong, that stuff is my own personal crack.

Honest Tea is also divine. My favorite is the Gold Rush Cinnamon (though it's uncaffinated).

Perthelia
(Ching Shih)
08/22/04 11:50 PM

I finally found a store with a nice tea selection, including Numi which I hadn't heard of before this thread! I didn't get that, though; I did get Stash Chai tea bags, which worked pretty well with the addition of some sugar. I had been buying the Oregon Chai concentrate which is good, but the tea bags seem more economical.

They had both regular and double spice versions available. I think I'll try the double next time.

eanja
(Ching Shih)
08/23/04 04:04 PM

I love chai tea, but I got irked about the price of the special tea bags and eventually gave up and learned to make my own. Making it from scratch does take 10-15 minutes and leave you w/ tea leaves to clean up, so there are times when one doesn't want to do it. I've had a loose chai mix that worked pretty well, and plan to try making some up. The only awkward bit is the ginger, since I have no idea where you buy that dried, but I'm thinking the crystallized variety would keep and work OK.

I do like the Stash brand of bags though, and that's probably about where I was shooting when I came up w/ my own recipe.

Another quick substitute I've heard of, though I don't know how it compares economically, is to brew tea using a mix of regular tea bags and Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice, which is pretty much exactly chai spices w/out the tea in it.

melsy
(Ching Shih)
08/23/04 04:20 PM

Mmmm coffee... For a while I had a love affair with a particularly yummy fancy coffee called a Cafe Broadway -- hazelnut espresso with steamed chocolate milk and a mound of chocolate whipped cream on top. I still have them on occasion but I don't buy them as often since I bought my fantastic Italian stove top coffee percolator and coffee bean grinder.

I love the ritual -- 3 scoops of beans into the grinder; hold the button down for 10 seconds; pour water up to the fill line on the bottom half of the percolator; drop in the metal filter; lovingly spoon the ground coffee in, taking care not to waste a tiny grind of the precious; screw on the top; place it on a burner set to medium... In minutes, the smell of fresh brewed coffee fills my apartment. When I can hear it bubbling, I pull it off and pour it into a mug with a considerable amount of warm milk/half and half/whipping cream (depends on how decadent I feel). Then I stir in a little sugar and I'm in caffeine heaven.

There's a great book I read called The Devil's Cup that offers a history of coffee and is quite entertaining to read as it's also a bit of a travelogue. There's some fascinating stuff in this book -- did you know that Lloyds of London started out as a coffee shop?

Kivrin
(Ching Shih)
08/23/04 09:41 PM

Quote:
Santa Cruz Coffee Roasting Company makes an excellent, rich coffee called Chocolate Bluesbreaker.
Jen in the rain--I'm very fond of flavored coffees too, and enjoy Roasting Company's Hazelnut coffee every so often. I'll have to try the one you mention. Usually we buy Full City Roast or Sweet Italian for the house though. My husband is the big coffee drinker and dislikes flavored coffees. I had a quarter pound of Hazelnut once that took months for me to finish. Heh.

Nice to see another Santa Cruzan here. There's a few of us around.

mollymauk
(Ching Shih)
08/23/04 09:54 PM

green tea anyone? I tried a really nice one today made by Shirakiku, that came in a gorgeous box. I also got instant (rainbow colored) tapioca balls and big straws. Now I can make my own tapioca bubble tea with green tea and soy milk. I'm stoked.

Perthelia
(Ching Shih)
08/23/04 10:49 PM

Since I moved it's been really warm; last night it rained all night and was still raining at midmorning. Now, I've been subsisting on the 25 cent office swill or SBC from McDonald's on the weekdays, or Starbucks French Roast at home on the weekends. This morning when I went out to feed the meter, I dove into a coffee shop I'd never seen before and found myself ordering a double tall latte with a shot of almond. As Marge Simpson would put it, "It's bliiiiss...."

You can take the girl out of Seattle...

Meaux
(Ching Shih)
08/25/04 12:41 PM

Just reading the posts of Seattle origin makes me pine for coffee in Seattle. I went there on vacation this year and found the coffee to be just ridiculously tasty at all the places I went to (of course, I stuck to independent places whose names I can't now remember). Maybe the water is just better in Seattle?

Caffeine is what keeps me upright. It's the vert in my vertebrae and the, um, fein in my feindishness (self-indulgent misspelling). Always black, unless there's a little maple syrup available for the occasional lift.

My favorite summery treat: Flipnotics here in Austin makes a moonquake shake. That's vanilla ice cream, a banana, and two shots of espresso blended together. Shoots me to the mooooooon.

Catness
(Ching Shih)
08/25/04 01:34 PM

It's the milk, Meaux. It's how they steam the milk.

Meaux
(Ching Shih)
08/25/04 03:21 PM

But I drank that Seattle coffee black!

Catness
(Ching Shih)
08/25/04 03:32 PM

It's the fog! It's the rain!

FishDreamerAdministrator
(Ching Shih)
08/25/04 04:50 PM

I think it's the moisture and salt in the air, and the way they roast the beans around here. Or maybe just that we're a town of coffee snobs and therefore even the coffee at Denny's is good.

No, no personal experience there. Not in at least ten years, I think.

I drink coffee, although less now than I used to. Still heading to Pegasus every morning for my fix. I also love that Scottish tea Mr D gets me at the kilt shop in Ballard, and any kind of Earl Grey I've tried. Double bergamot even. I really like tea, but I like it strong to the point where it occasionally evacuates orally. I don't understand why, but it happens.

Irish Breakfast tea, English Breakfast tea, Oolong, Lapsang Souchong, Chinese tea, Jasmine tea, whatever. Not so fond of green tea, but I drink it occasionally. That and the Chinese tea are the only ones I drink straight.

Hot, please. I'll drink Thai iced tea or coffee, but no other kind cold. Even on 95 degree days I still want my coffee hot. Oh, the occasional iced latte is nice, but it's too much milk and not enough coffee. I get drip coffee, with cream and sugar.

naomism
(Ching Shih)
08/26/04 07:11 AM

Does anyone else drink/like Prince of Wales tea? It's not as smokey tasting as Lapsang Souchong, but has a distinct flavor.

eanja
(Ching Shih)
08/26/04 04:21 PM

Naomism, can you add milk to Prince of Wales? I love Keemun tea, which is slightly smoky, but much as I like the smell of Lapsang Souchong I don't drink it, because I really just prefer my tea with milk or cream, and Lapsang Souchong has to pronounced a smoky flavor for that too work. I don't like oolongs, earl gray or green teas (other than w/ certain kinds of food), for the same reason, although, oddly enough, I do like white tea on occasion. It's so light that it seems like a completely different beverage.

Fishdreamer, I also tend to default to really strong tea- probably from all my years of setting it to steep and forgetting about it. My default tea these days is a gunpowder assam from the local Indian supermarket- cheaper than T-bags and very strong.

naomism
(Ching Shih)
08/26/04 06:39 PM

I add milk to Prince of Wales, though I also like it without. Adding milk to my tea makes me feel decadent and hedonistic so I do it whenever I can.

Serendipity
(Ching Shih)
08/26/04 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by naomism:
Does anyone else drink/like Prince of Wales tea? It's not as smokey tasting as Lapsang Souchong, but has a distinct flavor.
Mmmmm, love Prince of Wales Tea! Have a big box of that, next to a big box of Lady Grey (which reminds me of Fruit Loops) - it's my evolution from Earl Grey. I actually had to make a special trip to another grocery store when I found out that mine didn't carry Prince of Wales.

Prefer it (PoW) with skim milk and one packet of Splenda. Mmmm...

As for green tea, I've grown wary of just any ol' green tea after developing severe stomach cramps after drinking some (does green tea go bad?). BUT... I discovered the wonders of Pu'hr green tea. Simply amazing. It feels like subtle, green energy (if that makes any sense).

Other than that, it's coffee for me. Starbucks or equal brew, half & half but no sugar.

Lady Di
(Ching Shih)
09/02/04 11:24 AM

ok, I drink iced coffee at home (Maxwell House) a refill on a nearly hourly basis. I'm hooked, I've had coffee since I was about 13 or 14 & only Maxwell House, I've had other instant coffees & perked & whatever. I like instant Maxwell House & I usualy only drink iced coffee all year around.

You should see me in the winter waiting for the train on the Blue Line, (otherwise known as the T or subway to non-Bostonians), I'm freezing, shrivering & I'm holding a Dunkin Donut's mug filled with Iced Coffee.

Forgive my ignorance, what is a Latte and is a Frappacino (can't spell today)close in comparison to Dunkie's Coffee Coolatta?

For lunch, I go to Dunkin Donuts & have a Medium Iced Coffee, light with 4 sugars. 4 sugars because its not really 4 sugars. I think it really amounts to about 3 sugars.

mollymauk
(Ching Shih)
09/02/04 12:18 PM

I tried Prince of Wales tea, and may now drink it everyday. Thanks naomism and Serendipity!

martie
(Gráinne ni Mhaille)
09/03/04 10:36 AM

My mum got these fancy-pants Murchie's (Murchy's?) teas as a gift and one of them is apricot. SO excellent! Normally I'm a coffee drinker, but there is something very zen about apricot tea.

Kelly_dup1
(Gráinne ni Mhaille)
09/10/04 12:13 AM

I work at a coffee place, but even BEFORE that I've been drinking coffee since I was 13.

My absolute favourite drink is a doppio macchiato with half a pump of toffee nut (or hazelnut if the place doesn't have toffee nut).

However, when I'm not out spending money on coffee I just drink coffee black, and preferrably a dark roast.

fennel
(Ching Shih)
09/13/04 09:32 PM

Mmmmmm, that Murchie's stuff is quite good. I should have snagged some before I headed back to Ottawa.

(martie, this is your sister (I think)...did you change usernames? ... and our-other-sister was going to grab some of the apricot tea before she moved, but didn't, so more for you!)

mrstripeypants
(Ching Shih)
10/12/04 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Lady Di:

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, what is a Latte and is a Frappacino (can't spell today)close in comparison to Dunkie's Coffee Coolatta?
Lady Di - Technically latte is Italian for milk (at least one person I know was very perplexed when ordering at a cafe in Italy.) In Starbuck's Speak it's espresso with steamed milk. I don't know from Coolatta. A Frappucino is coffee, milk, sugar and ice whizzed in the blender. Sound close?

LovelyPride
(Ching Shih)
01/20/05 01:44 PM

I recently discovered a great little tea house. There are so many varities that it's going to take me years to taste them all. *Rubs hands in anticipation* I love Spiced Chai, green tea (especially Sencha) and some of the Rooibos teas.

For the uninitated, Rooibos (pronounced Roy-Boss)is a tea plant that is native to Africa but has a slightly milder flavor than it's Asian cousin. My favourite is Provincial Rooibos which is blended with dried black currents and a few other herbs.

Morpheus
(Ching Shih)
03/17/05 03:13 PM

Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica is my favourite, and I'm headed back there on Tuesday to get some more!

crumpet2
(Ching Shih)
03/22/05 02:45 PM

I don't know whether this would be better in the "I just..." thread. I just got my esspresso machine fixed! It has been out of commission for more than 5 months. I am now fully recommitted to really good coffee.

Only Arabica beans for me. I just tried Illy, but I think my favourite (and much better priced) is still Lavazza Rosso. MmmmmMmmmmm! I can't wait to get home and make myself a cappucino. The stuff they drink here at work is so foul that even the smell of it gives me a headache.

LovelyPride
(Ching Shih)
03/22/05 03:03 PM

I've just had the smoothest tasting dark roast coffee I've ever had. It's organic and it's from a company called Kicking Horse Coffee. My dark roast blend of choice: Grizzly Claw.

sprog
(Ching Shih)
03/22/05 04:11 PM

I love Lavassa too, and also Oxfam's free trade East Timor coffee.

And I like Prince of Wales tea,and I've just discovered Lady Grey tea, which is like an Earl Grey but more tea and less bergamot (if that makes sense!)

And chai. MMMMMmmmmmm, chai. Think I might make some today because it's very rainy and cold

cygnet
(Ching Shih)
03/24/05 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kivrin:
[QB]Miercoles--After searching high and low, I've come to the conclusion that there is no perfect chai in tea bag form.
Kivrin, may I respectfully submit Honest Tea's Kashmiri Chai to your notice? I spent a long time very disappointed with chai tea in bags, but this actually does the trick nicely.

I'm also jumping on the Prince of Wales and Lapsang Souchong lovewagons, but my heart will always belong to Assam or Keemun. My favorite supplier is Teaism , in DC. They have a fabulous tea selection and a pretty darn good restaurant side, too.

Kivrin
(Ching Shih)
03/24/05 08:04 PM

Thanks, cygnet. I'm going to look for it tomorrow! I think our "natural foods" store will carry that brand.
I took my daughter to a gelato place today, specifically, so that I could get a big mug of their chai. And they were out of it! I was so disappointed. I sampled their chai gelato...and thought it was quite awful. Settled for a nice hot latte. Definitely in chai mode though lately. Something about this rainy weather, and having just finished a novel where the characters constantly drink chai ...so, anyhow, your post is very timely, because I am on the lookout once again for the perfect cup of chai.

Corinne
(Ching Shih)
04/04/06 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LovelyPride:
I've just had the smoothest tasting dark roast coffee I've ever had. It's organic and it's from a company called Kicking Horse Coffee. My dark roast blend of choice: Grizzly Claw.
[brag]My dad works at Kicking Horse Coffee; it's headquarters are in a small town called Invermere and it's a super neat place. He took me there last time I saw him and browsing the warehouse was especially intriguing. I was also allowed the honour of seeing the beans roasted. It's small and everyone is really friendly.[/brag]

He told me that they have "coffee tastings" performed in much they same way as a wine tasting. Swish and spit kind of deal. Me= Jealous.

Oh, my coffee habits consist of two cups of bold, black coffee in the morning and whatever I can easily get my hands on during the day.

SeattleShrew
(Ching Shih)
04/05/06 12:23 AM

My husband and I are just finishing up a tea sampler he received for Christmas. It is from Upton Tea Imports and every single tea was excellent. The website is full of good information, and their paper catalog is great too. I think we're becoming tea-philes. Tea-o-philes?

Nineveh
(Ching Shih)
04/27/06 05:54 AM

I was visiting a fellow ex-pat the other day (I'm an Australian living in Libya), and she had this great tea-brewing item - a stainless steel hollow stick with little holes in it; you fill it with tea leaves and put it in your tea cup, voila a single-cup brew of tea. Except she got it in France, and searching for "tea brewing stick" online has not been successful. Anyone know the name of this invention and/or where's the best place to find such brewing equipment online?
Thanks for any assistance. Must - drink - tea ...

cat
(Ching Shih)
04/27/06 09:24 AM

Nineveh, I have a teastick that a friend got me for my birthday! I tracked it down here (link via Mighty Goods ).

LaSalleUGirl
(Ching Shih)
04/27/06 03:13 PM

When I saw the word "teastick" in Today's Active Topics, I was totally intrigued. I was imagining a stick made of tea (sort of like a cinnamon stick, I guess). But that gadget is even better than what I had envisioned. I have got to get me one of those!

voiceofreason
(Ching Shih)
04/27/06 08:33 PM

I just saw a teastick for the first time in a store this past weekend -- I think we must be entering the Age of the Teastick, with so many of us becoming teastick-conscious simultaneously.

HelenLovesChickLit
(Ching Shih)
04/28/06 02:45 AM

I LOVE herbal teas...mmmmm, a nice ginger tea with lemon, or some oolong...
Also, I find myself a little addicted to green tea (which isn't the tastiest, but its bitterness can be soothing), and by heaven, have I effortlessly lost weight! I am almost certain I can attribute it to the tea, because I've only recently (say, three months) become a regular drinker, yet no other habit has changed, and I've lost about fifteen pounds.

Also, I believe green tea has about a third of the caffeine regular coffee has. I still try not to drink it late at night.

Crescent Moon
(Ching Shih)
04/28/06 03:54 AM

HelenLovesChickLit, try a little bit of honey with your green tea. At the moment I'm consuming white tea by the gallon because it's been so cold and rainy. White Tea is supposed to be even better for you than green tea.

I've also been drinking rosebud tea (just a handful of dried rosebuds. No actual tea). It has a really light taste and is beautiful looking and smelling. It's a bit on the pricey side though.

crumpet2
(Ching Shih)
04/28/06 10:34 AM

Lately, I head home at 2 pm to meet my daughter as she gets off the school bus. As she does her homework I make a top notch cup of Lavazza with a tablespoon of sweetened condensed milk in it. It's better than dessert! And I am so much better at helping her with her homework because it gives me the most marvellous sense of wellbeing. She calls it magic coffee because I usually add the milk first, unbeknownst to her, then the coffee. So it looks black until I take an ordinary spoon and stir and it turns milky coffee coloured. I think she may actually believe it's magic.

LaSalleUGirl
(Ching Shih)
04/28/06 02:41 PM

That sounds really good! (I love the "magic coffee" concept.) How long does the sweetenend condensed milk last once you've opened the can? I would love to try this, I'd just be afraid of wasting the milk.

LovelyPride
(Ching Shih)
04/28/06 07:18 PM

That sounds a lot like the Vietnamese coffee I tried at a local restaurant recently. They bring you a mug with sweetened condensed milk in the bottom and pour an equal amount of espresso onto it. Very tasty.

cat
(Ching Shih)
04/28/06 08:31 PM

Oh, you know what's fantastic? That kind of Vietnamese coffee, iced in summer. To. Die.

And, LaSalleUGirl, the sweetened condensed milk comes in really little cans, and I'd think that it would last at least 3-4 days in the fridge, probably more, after opening. It's powerfully preserved stuff (because of all the sugar).

crumpet2
(Ching Shih)
05/01/06 08:35 AM

I took the idea straight from a Vietnamese restaurant, actually. It's great iced, but I never have ice cubes at home, and it's great hot too. In the restaurants, it's café flitre rather than espresso. But it tastes the same, I find.

A can lasts a long time. It's so sweet it doesn't go bad, but it can dry out. I put plastic wrap over it and secure with an elastic. I indulge about 4 times a week, and the can lasts a few (2-3 weeks).

It's not even that bad calories-wise, since it's your milk and sugar all in one, and I forget how many are in one tablespoon, but not many.

Catness
(Ching Shih)
05/01/06 07:22 PM

I have that every day! Well, it helps that I'm actually in Vietnam.

Pflaume
(Ching Shih)
05/02/06 08:10 AM

Hee!

I think today it may actually be warm enough to switch from hot mocha to iced mocha. Coffee by itself makes me a bit quease, hence the milk. And the chocolate because I figure that a wee bit of chocolate is better than the 8-10 sugars I'd have to add to a latte!

If you're in Toronto, check out the Tea House, on the east side of Yonge, just above Rosedale. You, too, can have Dragon Pearl Jasmine for $75/100g!

Nineveh
(Ching Shih)
05/04/06 01:20 AM

Thanks so much, Cat. (Sorry about the late reply, I only get internet access once a week)

Louisa
(Gráinne ni Mhaille)
05/20/06 09:59 PM

I absolutely adore coffee! I've tried to let it go and do for days on end, but I really enjoy it! When a teen I started drinking it in the early morns with my mother. It was something of our special time before the day became busy with chores, family, school, etc.

Now adays I also love teas and prefer either Earl Grey or Irish Breakfast. I like green teas and am trying to drink green tea instead of coffee most mornings...

I am finding, however, with this new ritual that coffee is effecting me much more than it did in the past! Two cups and I've got the shakes! Yikes! LOL!

mst78
(Ching Shih)
05/21/06 05:15 PM

I have recently been turned on to Chai (pronounced as a single syllable and rhymes with 'pie'... word for tea in many parts of the world). Celestial Seasonings makes two really good Chai's called Chocolate Caramel Enchantment and Honey Vanilla White Tea. It's the first tea I've had with milk, and I LOVE it!!!!

LovelyPride
(Ching Shih)
05/21/06 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mst78:
Celestial Seasonings makes two really good Chai's called Chocolate Caramel Enchantment and Honey Vanilla White Tea.
I love white tea! The first time I drank it it was blended with cinnamon, cloves and some other spices. I've never had it unblended though. I'll have to see if I can find some.

Crescent Moon
(Ching Shih)
05/26/06 02:52 AM

My newest tea is a blend of normal tea and Rooibos. I actually thought I was just getting straight rooibos, which I will definitely look out for in the future because the taste is so nice.

I have a funny story inspired by this thread. I was telling my friend who is Vietnamese Australian that I would love to try vietnamese coffee. She looked confused so I described it and she laughed and said 'we just call it coffee'.

L8sleeper
(Ching Shih)
05/26/06 06:59 AM

Rooibos tea is very good. I used to make it for my father when he was receiving chemotherapy and RT. It really helps with the nausea. I've recommended it to a lot of my patients and friends with family on chemo.
I used to pick up fresh leaves at this little herb/root place in the east Village. Now Twinings has a packaged tea bag version (Red Bush tea). It's okay, not as strong.

LovelyPride
(Ching Shih)
05/26/06 09:41 PM

I like the flavour of Rooibos but I find the unblended stuff to be a little bland. I buy a herbal blend called Provencial Rooibos from The Metropolitan Tea Company; it's blended with dried currents and herbs.

naomism
(Ching Shih)
08/03/06 01:04 PM

Tea bag or loose leaves?

I normally use tea bags because it's faster and the decaf versions of some of my favorites only come in bag form. So, during the week, either with breakfast or at work, I use tea bags.

However, on the weekends when I'm feeling more leisurely, I just can't seem to get the day off to a good start until I've had some Ceylon Breakfast made from the leaves loosely packed into my tea ball. In some ways, loose tea is more fragrant (maybe just from opening the tin, but I swear the actual tea cup smells differently than when I use a tea bag).

I'm also convinced that tea made from water heated in a kettle (bag or loose) tastes better than water heated in the microwave. I use the microwave at work because every electric tea pot I've bought for work has ended up developing mold. I use a kettle on a gas stove at home. Does anyone else taste the difference between microwaved tea water and kettle tea water or am I delusional?

meesh
(Ching Shih)
08/03/06 05:04 PM

I can't vouch for an actual difference in the taste of the waters, but I personally always have felt that heating the water in the microwave seems unnatural.

Sarai
(Ching Shih)
08/03/06 06:50 PM

I agree, meesh. My sister went over to the US a couple months ago and was so amazed that everyone seemed to boil their water in the microwave! I've never seen anybody do that over here (Australia).

I'm so in love with chai lattes, but can't seem to make them at home to anywhere near the standard that you can get in a cafe. Anyone have any hints?

Crescent Moon
(Ching Shih)
08/03/06 10:51 PM

Sarai, have you tried googling a recipe? I made chai at home once but I’m too lazy to do it on a regular basis so I just use teabags (Twinings I think).
On a side note a pet peeve of mine is the use of ‘chai latte’ in coffee houses. Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t ‘chai’ imply that it is a sweet, milky tea flavoured with spices? If so why stick latte on the end? It just seems to me to be a gimmick to attract coffee drinkers. Not that I want to be a Chai Nazi about it or anything.

amateur
(Ching Shih)
08/04/06 01:34 AM

Quote:
Does anyone else taste the difference between microwaved tea water and kettle tea water or am I delusional?
If you're delusional, naomism, then so am I, because I taste it too. It may be from heating the water in a different kind of material... water interacts differently with ceramic than with metal, I think.

dazey
(Ching Shih)
08/04/06 05:39 AM

Quote:
If you're delusional, naomism, then so am I
And also the entire populations of the UK and Ireland. The idea of microwaving tea fills me and every other UK/Irish person I've mentioned it to with utter revulsion. Water needs to hit the tea boiling or the oils aren't released right. You don't get tea like that.

It's not metal, though, because most electric kettles are plastic.

sophietje
(Ching Shih)
08/04/06 08:21 AM

It's been too hot here for the last week to user the gas stove, so I've been using the microwave. I bring the water to a full boil (it takes about 12 minutes for my 5 cups) and then I pour it into my teapot where the teabag is waiting. It doesn't taste that much different. Whenever I've microwaved just a cup, I put the bag into the hot water (rather than the water onto a bag), and then it does taste different. I wonder if that's the issue.

crumpet2
(Ching Shih)
08/08/06 07:36 AM

And have you noticed how the tea goes scummy/foamy on top in a microwaved cup of water?
Yuck.

mini-mart
(Ching Shih)
10/10/07 07:52 PM

For the first time ever, I'm the proud owner of a coffeemaker. No more having to choose between instant coffee or a walk to the Coffee Time at the corner. (Really... I can't be expected to do anything that required putting on pants BEFORE I've had coffee. That's madness!)

My bf told me of a great place to buy coffee in Kensington market so I'm gonna load up on half a dozen kinds and have a delightful new blend every morning.

Erin W
(Ching Shih)
10/12/07 08:50 PM

I didn't know this thread was here--otherwise I would've come by to sing the praises of hot tea much sooner.

My favorite brands here in the US of A are Bigelow, Celestial Seasonings, and Tazo's "Awake" for the early mornings. Usually I have three or four different flavors in the cupboard (and two in my desk at work), so I can drink them according to mood. When I need to buy more, I just walk up and down that aisle in the grocery store and pick out the ones that sound yummy.

I don't like fruit teas at all--I like black tea, with spices. Right now Beaners has a Cinnamon Spice tea that I love.

I've never cared for coffee, even in all its iced mocha variations.

naomism
(Ching Shih)
10/18/07 04:34 PM

I'm a Twinings person, myself. In my cupboard currently are: (loose leaves) Ceylon Breakfast, Earl Grey, Darjeeling, and Lady Grey; (bags) Prince of Wales and English Afternoon (which they no longer make in a decaf version); (non-Twinings) Choice Organic White.

Love them all!

vanillabean
(Ching Shih)
10/21/07 05:19 PM

Black coffee in the morning for me---I tried going without caffeine for a bit, because I know it's not the healthiest for me. It lasted two weeks tops, when I wasn't able to function during the day due to my caffeine withdrawal! I love hot tea at night, decaf, by the Great Lakes Tea and Spice Company. http://www.glteaandspice.com/

Their chamomile is excellent.

Kivrin
(Ching Shih)
10/21/07 10:14 PM

I've had to cut way back on my caffeine consumption. Insomnia. Really bad insomnia. I was fairly used to drinking four or five mugs of very strong black tea each day. There's a definite withdrawal reaction in going from five cups to one per day. Now, I limit myself to one mug of tea in the morning. It's rough, but, I have to say, I am sleeping better at night. And I think it has helped lower my stress level a bit also.

So, I'm looking for strong decaf tea now. I discovered that Bigelow has a decaf Constant Comment, which is nice for the late afternoons. Does anyone know if PG Tips, Yorkshire Gold, or Typhoo make a decaffeinated tea? Has anyone tried the Twinings Chai?

I came across this brand last year some time, Zhena's Gypsy Tea-Gypsy King Chai. It comes pretty close to a perfect tea bag Chai. They also make a very good mint tea, which is almost identical to a Traditional Medicinals one called Gypsy Cold Care, a blessing to have in the house when you aren't feeling well.

vanillabean
(Ching Shih)
10/24/07 10:49 AM
Re: Black Coffee in Bed or Tea and Sympathy? The

I've just put in an order for teas at Adagio Tea, which is such a fun site. I don't even know what I ordered! caramel, hibiscus, a green tea, jasmine oolong....

http://www.adagio.com/

They have quite a bit of decaf there as well.

Online shopping is dangerous to my budget! :)

polly#2
(Ching Shih)
01/11/08 05:27 AM

Any advice about flasks or vacuum mugs?

These mornings I want to make double quantities of coffee or tea at breakfast and sip away during a morning's study. My otherwise perfectly serviceable metal IKEA flask isn't up to the task. Nothing - not a bottle brush, or bulk salt or a cloth wrapped round the handle of a wooden spoon - will clean the tea/coffee/hard water deposit. Anything put in this flask from now on will become a brown tannic caffeinated beverage, coftea.

Advice? Good models of flask? Widemouthed vacuum mugs I'll be able to clean perfectly? Is any flask, no matter how good, going to develop a coffee or a tea identity? Will I have to bite the bullet and invest in two flasks?

LaSalleUGirl
(Ching Shih)
12/03/08 01:33 PM

Have any of you seen this hilarious blog post (accompanied by napkin drawings) about the writer's love affair with coffee?

http://tinyurl.com/6lwkpv

I particularly loved the chart of coffee and bagel preferences over time.

grapevyne
(Ching Shih)
04/03/09 12:12 PM

I loved that LaSalleUGirl. I understood his short time with blueberry bagels since my son (17) is going through his own love affair with blueberry bagels right now.

My current love affair is with Indian Mocha Chai. I brew it from loose leaf then add honey and heavy cream. We are currently separated due to my need to lose a few pounds. I hope nobody mentions that I am cheating with Twinings Prince of Wales (loose leaf) and Bigelow Earl Grey (tea bags).

Kivrin
(Ching Shih)
04/03/09 07:56 PM

I'm currently enjoying another of Zhena's Gypsy teas--this one is a Raspberry Earl Grey blend and it is so delightful. What a wild combination.

mini-mart
(Ching Shih)
04/07/13 03:15 PM

Having recently given up coffee, I am now a huge fan of the selection at David's Tea. Favourites include Stormy Night (cinnamon and chocolate), Red Velvet Cake (self-explanatory), and Forever Nuts (bright pink and delightful).

I also have a tin of Kiwi's Big Adventure because the name was so damn cute but... yeah, I don't really care for kiwi.

StephA
(Ching Shih)
04/09/13 09:09 AM

Mmmmm, mini-mart, I also enjoy David's Tea tea. I've tried and liked Stormy Night, but I haven't had the others you mention.

Love Tea #7 (black tea, chocolate, strawberries, rose petals) is my current favourite for caffeine.

And Strawberry Rhubarb Parfait is my favourite herbal.

GingerCat
(Ching Shih)
04/13/13 09:29 AM

I hav tried to give up coffee several times and have sometimes managed it for several months at a stretch, but eventually I give in and return to it. I find coffee both comforting and uplifting in the morning, and nothing else seems to work quite as well. I put cream and sugar in it which doesn't help in terms of healhfulness, but I've decided I can live with a little cream and sugar in the morning. I only drink one cup per day anyway.

Having said all that, those teas sound amazing. I'm going to check them out right now.

CaitlinM2
()
04/15/13 01:51 AM

I like coffee a great deal, but never have it at home these days, only when I'm out. I should haul out my Toddy set-up sometime and make cold-brewed concentrate again, as it keeps well in the fridge. I always had it cold, diluted with milk instead of water, thereby giving me the nutrition of a glass of milk but the full strength of coffee.

Nowadays, I drink lots of tea at home, mostly black and made with loose leaves. My regular teas are from Peet's. They have annual special-issue blends called Holiday and Anniversary Breakfast Blend that I like in the morning, or I like another blend of similar weight called Pride of the Port. I'm not big on a lot of flavored teas, but I stock up on another Peet's annual release called Winter Solstice, which is a light black tea with a subtle orange and spice flavor. I also like some teas from Mariage Freres, which I'm glad to be able to find locally, but since they are quite expensive I don't make them everyday choices.

mini-mart
(Ching Shih)
04/19/13 04:50 PM

Hi StephA. I tried the Strawberry Rhubarb Parfait you mentionned and I think I've a got a new favorite!