Page 15 of 16 « First<1213141516>
Topic Options
#91068 - 09/12/11 08:07 AM Re: BiblioPhil, Library Thing, et al. [Re: Sylver]
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

VOH, essay, and Sylver, I've just sent you GoodReads friend requests.
#91070 - 09/12/11 11:29 PM Re: BiblioPhil, Library Thing, et al. [Re: TraceyB]
essay
Ching Shih

Got it, as you probably know...
#91528 - 04/19/12 01:17 PM Re: BiblioPhil, Library Thing, et al. [Re: essay]
Amanda the Nasty
Ching Shih

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT

I'm friends with a few of you on GoodReads already. Here's my link for those that I haven't added: http://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM2MDMzMTg1NTI6MzY0

Edited by Amanda the Nasty (04/19/12 01:17 PM)

#91885 - 02/12/13 11:30 AM Re: BiblioPhil, Library Thing, et al. [Re: Amanda the Nasty]
mini-mart
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

Bumping up this thread, hoping to get some more buddies on GoodReads. I'd love to browse your bookshelves! I should also mention that The Blue Castle is now on my favorites list on GoodReads, thanks to many many recommendations from chickliterati.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/9676611

#91927 - 03/28/13 10:56 PM Re: BiblioPhil, Library Thing, et al. [Re: VegetarianOnHiatus]
essay
Ching Shih

I thought this might be a good place to start this discussion, though I don't know who will see it. I learned today that Amazon has bought Goodreads. A fair percentage of my friends on the site are coworkers or former coworkers in the Indie store I work for, and many if not most of them are planning to drop off of Goodreads in protest. I really don't blame them, but on the other hand, I feel like I connect with some people who aren't as invested in the Indie vs. Amazon conflict and don't really want to throw out those connections wholesale.

On the other hand, I am not all that inclined to write book reviews or even rate books for Amazon. I've done it selectively in the past for writers I want to support, but definitely not for other books that have regular reviewing channels.

Is anyone else facing some dilemmas around all this, or is this all a bit too rarified?

#91932 - 04/01/13 12:58 PM Re: BiblioPhil, Library Thing, et al. [Re: essay]
Kivrin Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

I've been following the news about it, essay. I posted something about it on my FB page. I was sad to read about it. I think of Goodreads as a community, and Amazon as...well. Not. I too, once upon a time ago, wrote a couple book and cd reviews for Amazon, but felt like my reviews were out in a void somewhere. I do not especially like the idea of my Goodreads reviews becoming public on Amazon, nor do I like the notion of Amazon now tracking me based on those reviews and the books I have up on Goodreads. I don't know if this is something that would actually happen though.
#91933 - 04/02/13 07:55 PM Re: BiblioPhil, Library Thing, et al. [Re: Kivrin]
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia

I was not happy to hear about this either, and I've been thinking about it a lot, so please bear with me as I get it all out. :)

It's difficult to avoid Amazon completely these days, but I've been trying to use it less and less, simply because I want to support brick-and-mortar bookstores and other businesses. I also think Amazon has engaged in a lot of shady practices; I don't trust them at all. So I was upset about their buying Goodreads just on principle. Why must Amazon take over everything?!? It's frightening. Beyond that, I'm worried about them really changing Goodreads, which I could see happening in some or all of the following ways:

1. According to Publishers' Weekly, Goodreads had been toying with the idea of selling books themselves (perhaps through some other online merchant?), so I initially feared Amazon just bought Goodreads to shut down the competition, and would basically fire everyone, neglect the site, and let it languish, as they've done with Shelfari. That now seems unlikely, but I definitely have other worries!
2. Call it snobby, but I worry about an influx of Amazon shoppers taking over Goodreads and posting obnoxious reviews/comments. Goodreads is far from perfect, but I do think the level of discourse there is at a higher level than a lot of other internet communities.
3. I worry about reviews or wishlists being shared between the two sites and really, really hope this doesn't happen automatically. I do not want my stuff to be shared between two sites that serve completely different purposes for me.
4. I also worry that Goodreads will just become overrun with Amazon ads and Kindle-related stuff.

Regarding the plans to tie the Kindle to Goodreads, I've read a lot of the Goodreads member comments on the acquisition, and I'm amazed by how many people want their book progress on their Kindle to automatically update their progress on Goodreads, or the books they buy on Kindle to be automatically added to their "To Read" list. Is it that difficult to just do it yourself? To the extent that I use it (not often), I consider my Kindle private and would not want anything appearing on Goodreads automatically. And it just seems weird that a (up to now) neutral books site is going to start favoring one ereader over all the other ereaders and tablets.

If you look at the comments on the founder's blog post on this topic, there are plenty of members urging him not to "let" Amazon do this or that. The sad thing is, the founders of Goodreads seem to think they'll have some kind of influence. But this was an outright purchase. They only have influence as long as Amazon allows them to--which basically means they have no influence at all. That's the sad thing about the situation.

#91942 - 04/06/13 05:56 PM Re: BiblioPhil, Library Thing, et al. [Re: GingerCat]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Saw this and thought of this thread:

12 Alternatives to GoodReads

#92456 - 02/06/15 11:33 PM Re: BiblioPhil, Library Thing, et al. [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

I'm not sure who, if anyone, will see this given that the site here has sadly become somewhat an echo chamber, but at the end of last year I decided to finally join Goodreads. I haven't explored or done much yet, other than manually upload the 15-plus years' worth of reading I have (non-digitally) recorded, filling in with anything else that comes to mind, and I'm not entirely sure how it'll serve me, given that I've never really been into giving star ratings and such, though perhaps I should start in this context.

At any rate, I'm definitely interested in the social aspect and I'd love to connect with some Chickliterati there, as you all have steered me to some great books over the years. Please feel welcome to add me as a friend, and you may also hear from me, based on the profile links you've left in this thread.

Find me here: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/37853460-caitlin

#92457 - 02/09/15 11:34 PM Re: BiblioPhil, Library Thing, et al. [Re: CaitlinM2]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Holy moly, you did all that MANUALLY?! I'm always so daunted by that prospect that I give up ten books in....
Page 15 of 16 « First<1213141516>

Moderator:  Kivrin, FishDreamer 
Hop to: