Page 26 of 26 « First<2223242526
Topic Options
#91240 - 12/11/11 02:17 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book... [Re: deborah]
UCLAgirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Los Angeles

Years ago--let's say 25--I read a murder mystery in which the killer used different methods to kill a variety of people, some of whom I think were random victims. Here's what I remember:

1) It was set in England, although I don't remember if it was London, another city, or a small town.
2) Some of the deaths were not bloody, but still gruesome, like the shop clerk who was suffocated with spray foam in (her?) nose and mouth while unconscious.
3) All of the murders took place leading up to Christmas, or possibly Christmas through Epiphany, and I think there may have been a "12 Days of Christmas" theme.

#91394 - 01/16/12 08:28 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book... [Re: deborah]
Vetivert
Ching Shih

Loc: London

Most embarrassingly, I find myself having to ask for your help about a book which I am sure I asked about before in here. I cannot find my original post and any responses, unfortunately, so I throw myself on your mercy again.

The book has a girl in her late teens as the heroine. She goes on holiday to Scotland, I think with an older female relative, and gets caught up with various ghosts who used to live there. She also likes to draw patterns with plants, and is compared by other characters to William Morris. Her name is Romilly. I'm sure the book has "autumn" in the title somewhere.

Thanks!

#91395 - 01/17/12 05:15 AM Re: Help me with the title of this book... [Re: Vetivert]
Anne's Friend Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Cambridge, United Kingdom

Vetivert, is it The Autumn People? I don't know it, but it looks possible?
#91396 - 01/17/12 10:06 AM Re: Help me with the title of this book... [Re: Anne's Friend]
Vetivert
Ching Shih

Loc: London

Anne's Friend, you are most definitely now my friend too! That is it, huzzah! I really can't thank you enough for solving my middle of the night dilemma. The things that will keep you awake just can't be predicted sometimes!
#92019 - 07/16/13 04:33 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book... [Re: Vetivert]
coops456
Ching Shih

Loc: Essex, UK

Saw this and immediately thought of this thread! From blogger kimbofo of Reading Matters:

Last week I received an intriguing email from a part-time reference librarian in the US. One of his patrons is desperate to track down a specific book. Here are the main clues:

Apparently the book was set in Australia, but may not have been written by an Australian.
It was a literary novel not genre.
It was possibly published in the late 1980s or early 1990s and certainly no later than 1995.
It involved a slum district outside a major city (Sydney? Perth?) that involved living on steep cliffs or in an abandoned open-pit mine. Apparently the characters were outcasts or simply very poor, and had scratched out dwellings of a sort that were more or less vertical to one another.
It may have been inspired by Dante's Inferno but the novel was meant to be contemporary and not a futuristic dystopia, though the place described apparently doesn't really exist.

#92036 - 07/22/13 09:12 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book... [Re: deborah]
UCLAgirl
Ching Shih

I've found it! Since at least 2007, I've been trying to remember the title of a book I read about early 15th-century Scotland, in which the heroine was modeled on the real-life heroine Catherine Douglas/Kate Barlass. While I didn't care for a lot of it at the time, my memories of it suggest that I might like it better today.

I remembered that it had a lot of discussion of Church doctrine, and a truly tragic encounter with plague, but for the life of me, I could not come up with the author or title. And neither could anyone else, apparently, because I've posted about it here at least four times.

Finally, last week, I found it: The World, The Flesh and the Devil by Reay Tannahill. And it wasn't easy, because it's been out of print for a number of years; I could only find used copies via Amazon and eBay. One of them is mine, now. I hope it turns out to be worth the trouble.

#92037 - 07/23/13 08:47 AM Re: Help me with the title of this book... [Re: UCLAgirl]
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Oh, hooray!! A lost-book success story! I hope you like it!
#92038 - 07/24/13 10:26 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book... [Re: StephA]
Kivrin Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

I love it when that happens. Now, if only we could solve coops456's book mystery, because it sounds like something I'd like to read!
#92043 - 07/30/13 12:57 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book... [Re: deborah]
Cristel

Loc: The Netherlands

I have read a book about a girl who finds herself without a job and finds one working for a business man as his PA. His former PA leaves to spend more time with her grandchildren. The business man has got a lot of plants in his office and a dog on timeshare with his neighbour who I believe is elderly. The business man has a girlfriend who doesn't like dogs. He travels a lot and leaves the main character in charge of arranging his life. The elderly female neighbour falls down and isn't able to get up, the dog warns them. And ofcourse... They fall in love!!

Does anybody know the title or author of the book I described?

I have been trying to remember the title for weeks. Very frustrating!

Edited by Cristel (07/30/13 01:00 PM)

#92437 - 08/31/14 10:20 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book... [Re: Cristel]
UCLAgirl
Ching Shih

Years ago, I read a novel about a woman in 20th century England who moves to Cornwall and discovers a connection to a woman in Elizabethan England who came to a tragic end. One or both of them was named Anthea or Althea, and they both were redheads. I think the modern-day woman had a romance with a local doctor.

Any thoughts?

Page 26 of 26 « First<2223242526

Moderator:  Kivrin, FishDreamer 
Hop to: