Page 4 of 26 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#26341 - 07/17/06 02:32 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
Bookcrosser
Ching Shih

Loc: California

I'm trying to find a book I read as a child, during the mid to late 1960s. I thought it was called The Hideaway House, Hide-a-Way House, or something very similar. However, I haven't been able to find it on Google. I can't remember the author.

It had a green cover that I would remember distinctly if I saw it. It was about a pioneer girl and her family who lived in a sod house on the Plains. I believe they had a separate undergound hiding place in case of Indian attack, and although my recollection is fuzzy, I have the impression that they had to hide in their undergound hiding place for a long time at one point.

Any idea, anyone? Thanks in advance!

#26342 - 07/17/06 03:31 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
Kivrin Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Little House on the Prairie?
#26343 - 07/17/06 04:41 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
Ria
Ching Shih

Loc: Massachusetts, USA

No, it's not that, because the only book in which they live in a sod house is a book in which there are no Native Americans.
#26344 - 07/21/06 09:31 AM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
lhooq
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: St. Louis, MO

VoiceofReason, could #1 be The Gift of the Pirate Queen by Patricia Reilly Giff? I remember a diabetic coma in that one (brought on by ice cream at Friendly's, I think.)
#26345 - 07/22/06 06:00 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
graceless
Ching Shih

Loc: Illinois

This is what I remember about the book. It took place in Seattle before Pearl Harbor and throughout World War II. It's a YA novel. The protagonist is a teenage girl, who might have fallen in love with a boy by the end of the novel. Since it takes place in Seattle there is the fact that many of her male relatives worked at a aircraft factory. There was also a big deal about black market goods.

#26346 - 07/24/06 01:18 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
CircleGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: TN

HELP!

I remember buying this book at a book fair in 6th or 7th grade, so it would have been early-mid 80s. The plot line is rather "Lord of the Flies" - an unspecified plague kills all humans over the age of 12 or 14, leaving only the kids to fend for themselves. The protagonist is 10 or 11 with a baby brother. The finale takes place at a farm house after a war between kids. I remember clearly that aspirin plays a large role in the resolution. I can't remember title, character names, author, anything except the plot was haunting, especially for a 10-year old.

Anyone? Thanks in advance for any help!

#26347 - 07/28/06 11:18 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
baileysmom
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Vancouver, BC

This is a long shot but here goes.
My husband is looking for a book he read 15+ years ago. It is a supernatural/medical thriller about a boy who could talk to Mars (the God of war) through a crow. When he grows up, he becomes a doctor and discovers the cure for AIDS. Mars says if he cures it another disease is coming called arvid(s). He remembers the paperback had a yellow cover with crows on it. He thinks there are two books in the series but he is not sure.

#26348 - 07/30/06 04:06 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
Kivrin Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Quote:
I'm trying to find a book I read as a child, during the mid to late 1960s. I thought it was called The Hideaway House, Hide-a-Way House, or something very similar. However, I haven't been able to find it on Google. I can't remember the author. It had a green cover that I would remember distinctly if I saw it. It was about a pioneer girl and her family who lived in a sod house on the Plains. I believe they had a separate undergound hiding place in case of Indian attack, and although my recollection is fuzzy, I have the impression that they had to hide in their undergound hiding place for a long time at one point.
Bookcrosser--I've got it now! Caddie Woodlawn ! I remember the green cover--it was Caddie running through the grass, I think.

#26349 - 08/02/06 01:54 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
Newt
Ching Shih

ken_m, it's been ages since I read it, but could your book possibly be Acts of Faith by Erich Segal? The Jewish girl/Catholic boy/secret baby thing fits.
#26350 - 08/02/06 03:18 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I am sure it's not that, Newt. At least I know that no one became anyone's sex slave (especially not the sex slave of "some older man who in my memory looks like Baron Haarkonen from Dune") in Erich Segal's Acts of Faith. It's a great book, though, and I should re-read it sometime soon!
Page 4 of 26 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  Kivrin, FishDreamer 
Hop to: