Page 294 of 295 « First<291292293294295>
Topic Options
#92445 - 10/06/14 01:32 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
essay
Ching Shih

The best kind of obsession there is, LaSalleUGirl. As for keeping up with things here, I just subscribe to this thread and notification pops up in my email.

I'm currently reading Harvest by Jim Crace, for my book group. I felt a bit of resistance initially to reading another literary historical novel, but it's grown on me.

#92446 - 10/30/14 10:17 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: essay]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Glad to see you around, LaSalleUGirl. I thought of you a couple of months back, when I read first Code Name Verity and then Trapeze, both about female SOE agents working with the Resistance in occupied France in WWII. Specifically, what I thought was, I bet LaSalleUGirl would eat this up.

As for what I'm reading right now, that would be When the Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, by Anne Fadiman, which I have been meaning to read for years. I am about halfway through and finding it very interesting.

#92447 - 10/31/14 04:31 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: CaitlinM2]
CaitlinM2

Gah, I meant (obviously), The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, no When about it.
#92448 - 11/10/14 09:30 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: CaitlinM2]
CaitlinM2

I thought The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down was excellent. I was reading the 15th Anniversary edition, and Fadiman's afterword was very interesting, not only because she includes updates on all the people who figure heavily in the book, but also reflects on how she regards her process and what she wrote years later.

I went on to read One Soufflé at a Time: A Memoir of Food and France, by Anne Willan, which was fun. I'm a sucker for culinary-related memoirs. I've now just begun Americanah, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

Edited by CaitlinM2 (11/10/14 09:30 PM)
Edit Reason: UBB tag fail.

#92449 - 12/11/14 02:35 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: CaitlinM2]
CaitlinM2

Anybody else out there reading anything?

I recently finished The Humanity Project, by Jean Thompson[/i], which I liked but didn't love.

I'm now halfway through Frog Music, by Emma Donoghue. I've only read one of Donoghue's previous books, Slammerkin, which I found relentlessly bleak, but picked this up because I thought it was interesting that it's based on true events, and remembered that Kivrin recommended it here.

#92450 - 12/15/14 08:11 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: CaitlinM2]
Kivrin Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

I hope that you enjoy Frog Music, Caitlin.

I've been reading all sorts of books lately, from poetry to science-fiction. I recently read a new poetry collection by Eavan Boland, A Woman Without A Country. She is such a strong poet. Jonathan Carroll's newest, Bathing The Lion is another recent read. I fear I may be through with my love affair with Mr. Carroll. He seems to be recycling themes and plots now and has become somewhat predictable. I read Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi. It was the first book I've read by her and I'd definitely read more of her books. I read a science-fiction which I enjoyed called The Best of all Possible Worlds by Karen Lord. I can solidly recommend it as worthwhile reading. Right now, I've just started reading a book called We Are Called To Rise by Laura McBride. Not sure about it yet.

#92460 - 10/16/16 04:35 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Kivrin]
coops456
Ching Shih

Loc: Essex, UK

I've just started Rachel Lichtenstein's latest, Estuary: Out from London to the Sea. I enjoyed her book on Brick Lane and, since I live at the mouth of the Thames Estuary myself, it was an obvious choice.
#92464 - 08/12/18 12:21 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: coops456]
UCLAgirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Los Angeles

I know it's been nearly two years since the last post, but is anyone still out there?

Right now I'm reading Illumination Night, one of Alice Hoffman's early books. It took me a long time to find her, but that means that there are a lot of her books for me to read--and she's one of my favorite authors now.

#92465 - 08/12/18 05:10 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: UCLAgirl]
liz_isabella1
Ching Shih

Loc: Milton Keynes, England

There’s still a light flickering!

I’ve only read Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman - I should try some of her other stuff.

I’ve just finished The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin. I froze just turning the pages. Not a bad story, but a bit scenery chewy in places.

#92466 - 08/14/18 04:13 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: liz_isabella1]
Anne's Friend Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Cambridge, United Kingdom

Hello!

*happy smile to see people here*

In the last couple of days, there's been a new development on Facebook, where Deborah has set up a new group called 'Chickliterati'. Many familiar faces are already there...

If you can't find it, or you need an invite, you can message me here, or find me on Facebook at facebook.com/pnt12

Page 294 of 295 « First<291292293294295>

Moderator:  Kivrin, FishDreamer 
Hop to: