Page 16 of 18 « First<1415161718>
Topic Options
#28735 - 06/17/06 07:56 PM Re: Dirty Deeds and the Doctor's Jeeps: The Chicklit Mondegreen Thread
cheftracy
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: St. Louis, MO

***poof***
#28736 - 06/17/06 07:59 PM Re: Dirty Deeds and the Doctor's Jeeps: The Chicklit Mondegreen Thread
cheftracy
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: St. Louis, MO

I'm so glad I found this thread. At work we listen to a station that plays 70's, 80's 'and anything else we want' and there is a song that is on all the time and I CANNOT for the life of me figure out one word.

I'm not talkin 'bout the ????????
and I don't want to change your life,
But ....... and the stars are out
And I'd really love to see you tonight...

What is he not talking about???

(If this is a double post, sorry, I may have posted before I was finished, but couldn't see if it went out or not.)

#28737 - 06/17/06 11:47 PM Re: Dirty Deeds and the Doctor's Jeeps: The Chicklit Mondegreen Thread
nanners
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: pa

It's England Dan & John Ford Coley from a time period a long time ago

"I'm not talking 'bout moving in,
And I don't want to change your life.
But there's a warm wind blowing,
The stars are out, and I'd really love to see you tonight."

{This is not from memory! Thank whoever for google)

#28738 - 06/29/06 11:01 AM Re: Dirty Deeds and the Doctor's Jeeps: The Chicklit Mondegreen Thread
CheshireCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL USA

That is so funny the "moving in" song was posted because I was just watching The Long Kiss Goodnight, and Samuel L. Jackson and Geena Davis are riding around in his car, he's singing along to that song:
"I'm not talking bout the linen
And I don't wanna change your life..."

Geena Davis just says, "moving in," real casual, and Samuel L. says, "What?" and she says, "It's moving in. The song's not about linen."

It was that scene that first set me straight when that movie came out, and I still think it sounds like linen, too.

#28739 - 06/29/06 01:54 PM Re: Dirty Deeds and the Doctor's Jeeps: The Chicklit Mondegreen Thread
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Heh. I always thought it was "I'm not talking 'bout the limit."
#28740 - 07/09/06 06:07 PM Re: Dirty Deeds and the Doctor's Jeeps: The Chicklit Mondegreen Thread
magnolia42
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Irving, TX

When I was five years old, I did not yet have the word "obstacles" in my vocabulary. Thus, the words became...

"I can see clearly now the rain is gone.
I can see all lobster claws in my way."

It was really quite the visual image in my five-year-old brain. The rain was very heavy, and serious flooding had ensued, washing up large crustaceons onto the shore. Watch out! Don't step on that lobster claw!

#28741 - 07/12/06 05:03 AM Re: Dirty Deeds and the Doctor's Jeeps: The Chicklit Mondegreen Thread
mini-mart
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

My friend used to sing "cross-eyed bear" instead of "the cross I bear" in Alanis' "You Oughta Know".

But I'm worse. Until a friend of mine sang it at karaoke, I didn't know The Beatles had a "ticket to ride". I thought they had a "secret giraffe", which would actually be much cooler.

#28742 - 07/12/06 08:03 AM Re: Dirty Deeds and the Doctor's Jeeps: The Chicklit Mondegreen Thread
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

A secret giraffe would be the coolest thing ever.

Quote:
My friend used to sing "cross-eyed bear" instead of "the cross I bear" in Alanis' "You Oughta Know".
Similarly, there's a famous old hymn that sometimes confuses children, who become disappointed when they find out that they're not singing about a friendly ursine: it's "Gladly the Cross I'd Bear," not "Gladly, the Cross-Eyed Bear."

#28743 - 07/12/06 11:01 AM Re: Dirty Deeds and the Doctor's Jeeps: The Chicklit Mondegreen Thread
mini-mart
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

A secret giraffe would be cool. That's why I didn't understand why "she don't care."

If I had a secret giraffe, I would care for it.

#28744 - 07/13/06 01:13 PM Re: Dirty Deeds and the Doctor's Jeeps: The Chicklit Mondegreen Thread
fastiller
Ching Shih

When I was young, the “offers” being given to The Rhinestone Cowboy were “old folks”, as in:

Quote:
And old folks comin’ over the phone.
 Quote:
Then, I swear he says:
Rock you in iambic pentameter

Of course, I’m sure he doesn’t, but I have no idea what he does say because I can’t make any other words fit.
~ ~ken_m
I’m guessing you're meaning at the end of the song. It goes thusly:

Quote:
Oooh, out in the street
Out in the street
Out in the daytime
Out in the night

Oh, we gonna rock down to Electric Avenue
And then we'll take it higher

Out in the street
Out in the street
Out in the playground
In the dark side of town

Hey, we gonna rock down to Electric Avenue
Oooh, yeah
(And then we'll take it higher)
Rock it in the daytime
((We gonna rock down to Electric Avenue)
Rock it in the night
(And then we'll take it higher)
(Electric Avenue)...
Full lyrics here . What bothers me is that that site is “oldielyrics.com; that song can’t be an oldie, I’m too young to have loved as a teenager a song that is now considered an oldie!

Page 16 of 18 « First<1415161718>

Moderator:  PrimulaMary 
Hop to: