Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#29539 - 11/01/00 11:55 AM Gratitude journals
della femina
Ching Shih

Loc: Birmingham, England

I know that Deborah says that her gratitude journal has been a real blessing, and that countless others are as glad they started keeping theirs as she is. So I've decided to get sorted and finally start keeping one of these.

Have any of you kept a gratitude journal? What benefits, if any, has it brought to your life?

#29540 - 11/01/00 01:34 PM Re: Gratitude journals
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

Della, obviously I'm some sort of journalling idiot, but I don't know what a gratitude journal is. I do get the idea that you use it to, er, express gratitude. But is it private? Or do you share with the gratitude-ees?

I'm intrigued by the idea, but would love some explanation.

#29541 - 11/01/00 01:54 PM Re: Gratitude journals
della femina
Ching Shih

From what I can make out, you're supposed to write down at least five things for which you are grateful each day. I don't think there are any rules, per se, about who you can or cannot share this journal with; in fact, I'd imagine that sharing it with others would be encouraged, if you feel comfortable enough to do so.

The whole idea comes from Sarah Ban Breathnach's bestseller Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy, which became wildly popular after Oprah talked it up to no end on her talk show.

If anyone else has a more concise, clear, accurate answer to cat's question, please feel free to share it with us!

[This message has been edited by della femina (edited November 04, 2000).]

#29542 - 11/03/00 08:18 PM Re: Gratitude journals
sobell
Ching Shih

Loc: Alameda, CA, USA

No, that seems about right.

I don't keep a gratitude journal per se; instead, I exercise my idiosyncratic form of prayer by thanking God for five good things daily before I go to bed. It's actually been a wonderful way to raise my spirits (so to speak...) when I've had a wretched day.

I realize this isn't going to be a workable thing for folks who don't practice a particularly Judeo-Christian form of spirituality, but the general idea of noting five things daily is a solid one.

#29543 - 11/04/00 12:43 PM Re: Gratitude journals
della femina
Ching Shih

I think, though, that even if you don't believe in any sort of higher power to whom you should give thanks for the blessings in your life, most people wouldn't be able to find anything wrong with just BEING thankful and recognising those things for which they are grateful.

I'm starting mine tonight! I bought a new notebook for it and everything.

#29544 - 06/05/01 01:25 PM Re: Gratitude journals
Keckler
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA

That sounds like a really great idea. I did it once when I got in a fight with my then-boyfriend and I wanted to remember what I loved about him. I still have the list, I think I should start it again since I married the guy and now add a lot more things to it.
#29545 - 11/03/01 12:30 PM Re: Gratitude journals
Skeptopotamus
Ching Shih

Some friends from my freshman year of college had a couple of what I guess you could call joint journals, stored on one girl's computer. One was a list of things we'd change if we could, and the other (started in reaction to the frequently negative tone of the first) was a list of things to be happy about, which I guess fits in with this idea of a gratitude journal. I'm not sure if we used them as therapy or what we got out of them exactly, but they were a lot of fun to reread after a few weeks/months had passed. I wish I still had a copy!
#29546 - 07/15/06 05:12 AM Re: Gratitude journals
mini-mart
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

I tried a gratitude journal in high school and found that I was most thankful for the lessons and laughter in my life. So my "gratitude journal" is now made up of daily three-line entries: one thing I learned that day, one thing that made me laugh and a third separate thing for which I'm grateful.

On some days, I find all three things right here on the boards!

#29547 - 07/19/06 11:12 PM Re: Gratitude journals
essay
Ching Shih

I like this very much, mini-mart . I took a class last fall in which I learned that the poet William Carlos Williams kept a journal called 'Things I Missed Until Today', which struck me as an excellent kind of journal to keep, though I haven't gotten around to keeping one of my own yet.Thanks for reminding me of it.
#29548 - 08/01/06 08:31 PM Re: Gratitude journals
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

mini-mart, I meant to tell you at the bookswap how much I liked your three-line idea. I'm not a good journal-keeper by any means, but I was inspired to start a gratitude journal of my own. (Three days and counting...)
#29549 - 08/02/06 12:15 AM Re: Gratitude journals
mini-mart
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

I'm glad to hear that, LaSalleUGirl!

I find it the idea of a gratitude journal much easier to approach now that I only try to write those three things every night.

#29550 - 09/09/06 03:19 PM Re: Gratitude journals
vanillabean
Ching Shih

i have a gratitude journal, but its hard to remember to write in it daily--besides my list of 5 things is usually the same, with "books" being right up there! \:\)
Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  StephA 
Hop to: