Page 9 of 9 « First<56789
Topic Options
#29704 - 01/05/05 05:19 PM Re: Journalling, privacy and trust
Kitkat
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Sheffield

Steph, if I use loose paper or a thin notebook I can carry my journal around with me all the time but then I worry about someone going in my bag. I know there's little chance of this happening but I am a born worrier.

I do have a locked tin that I keep my full journals in but the one I am using is the one I don't have locked away as sometimes I do need it on me, well I like to have it on me at all times ideally but at present I am using a hard backed book which is heavy to carry around all the time.

#29705 - 08/04/05 07:50 AM Re: Journalling, privacy and trust
Auroranorth
Ching Shih

Quote:
This brings up an interesting aspect of online journalling: how much should you be able to divulge? For example, I've written about things in my online journal that I wouldn't dare mention to some people in real life. One of my good friends cheated on her boyfriend, which I discussed online in an (albeit friends-only) entry. Was I wrong to do that, since it was the sort of information that I would never have talked about to any of my friends offline? Or was it within bounds, give that she had put me in an awkward position (knowing that I was also friends with her boyfriend) and it was something that I needed to discuss, process, and get advice about?

I think the ethics of online journalling can get very sketchy sometimes.
 Quote:
Writing about stuff involving other people in a personal journal that no one else will get to read is one thing, but it's another (IMO) to put it on the web where potentially anyone can get it. Wasn't there an intern in Washington who found out the hard way recently? I seem to remember reading something about it not so long ago...
Blog Interrupted

Did anyone else read the recent Salon piece about the nanny who was fired after her boss read her blog?

As far as privacy goes:
1. If it's online and not protected, it's fair game.
2. If it's someone else's email/lj/blog/whatever and they want you to read it, fine. My parents share an email address and prefer it that way. My mom gets dog stuff and dad gets drum stuff and neither reads the other person's messages because my dad doesn't want to know about hip displasia and my mom doesn't want to know about beat patterns.
3. If you want to discuss personal stuff, get people's permission and think what would horrify you if people found it on the web about you before you post something that might embarass other people.
4. People who read other people's private journals/mail are committing massive and permanent breaches of trust. Unless you are convinced that the person is suicidal/on drugs, DON'T. They will remember and hold it against you, as clearly above posters do.

#29706 - 12/16/05 04:09 AM Re: Journalling, privacy and trust
Sanchia
Ching Shih

Loc: Bangalore, India

Reading through some of the above posts, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes:

Why share a journal online? And I mean an honest-to-goodness, self-indulgent, me-me-me journal, not a blog of reviews and opinions. Some of you seem to feel that a journal of that sort is private; others seem to put it up online and worry about people they know looking at it or finding it.

I had a blog on which I posted random essays and poems; I now have an entirely private livejournal and is completely password protected. It's really not for anyone to see. It's my rubbish, all my fears and anxieties and joys, but it's not for anyone else.

So I'm not sure. Reading people's journals is supposed to be voyeuristic (and I've had someone read mine when I was younger, so I understand the feeling of violation), but if you worry about your privacy, why post it online at all?

#29707 - 12/16/05 01:23 PM Re: Journalling, privacy and trust
goo
Ching Shih

Loc: London, UK

I find my writing improves if I'm writing for an (imagined) audience - the fact that it's going to be published helps me clarify my thoughts. I don't broadcast my personal journal, but if some random inhabitant of the internet were to stumble across it, then great. I hope I'm providing them with some enjoyment.

From another perspective, I enjoy reading stranger's personal journals, both online and on paper. It is voyeuristic, but it's also fascinating - the minutiae of life and hopes, motivation and drama. I worked in a charity shop for quite a while, and occasionally people would donate their diaries - by design or accident I never knew. I still have several. Online journals have the added element of being more likely to be fake than those on paper, so you have the extra fun of determining if the stories are legit or attention-whoring, and if the latter - why? Great fun.

I guess, to me, it's no different to reading a published diary, except they're usually more interesting for being real. I don't think I would ever read my child's diary, though, unless it was absolutely necessary for their safety. Reading the diary of someone with which you have a trusting relationship is a different thing altogether.

Page 9 of 9 « First<56789

Moderator:  StephA 
Hop to: