Page 10 of 12 « First<89101112>
Topic Options
#29999 - 01/04/05 06:09 PM Re: Quill and Vellum -- Tools of the Trade!
Kitkat
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Sheffield

Starbucksweetie - true, I don't think using a binder would feel 'special' somehow which is what puts me off the idea but what Trudy says is quite interesting, using a binder is more versatile. What would you class as more important, the ease of carrying a journal around or the feel of writing in it? I do carry mine around so do need something portable.
#30000 - 01/05/05 05:16 PM Re: Quill and Vellum -- Tools of the Trade!
Kitkat
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Sheffield

Every New Year I think about keeping a page a day diary aside from my appointment diary but one which states all my actions and feelings for each day, using the set date format but I used to do this in the past and eventually found it too restricting. Does anyone else do this or do you think keeping a journal type diary the best way to do it? With the page a day idea you do have every day logged and don't miss anything but it can be very restricting.
#30001 - 01/05/05 10:59 PM Re: Quill and Vellum -- Tools of the Trade!
janice-christina
Ching Shih

Loc: australia

#30002 - 01/23/05 04:51 PM Re: Quill and Vellum -- Tools of the Trade!
TacoBellChihuahua
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Netherlands

Three years ago I travelled to Australia and bought a simple spiral book, a Quill 570 A5 notebook. I've had many notebooks and binders over the years, most are unused, but somehow this one keeps filling up. I'm using cheap Bic Matic 0.7 mm pencils because I've been known to erase whole sentences and also because they are very light. I've grown so comfortable writing in this notebook I've started to worry now that the notebook is three-quarters full; what notebook to buy that lives up to the trusted Quill?

I know exactly where to buy the Quill 570, here:
http://buckhams.com.au/products.php?cat=86&from=0&max=15
Unfortunately, Buckams only sells to the Australian school system. They don't sell overseas \:\( So much for that idea. I then looked at the Rhodia spiral notepad:

http://buckhams.com.au/products.php?cat=86&from=0&max=15
but I don't like the graph paper.

Then I thought about this one:
http://www.bookfactory.com/journals/journals.html#
but it doesn't have a spiral back and it's, well, posh-looking. My notebooks must be ready to be used and abused (coffee-stains, dog-eared, a page torn out, etc). They are not for journals per se, but contain invented names, diagrams and sketches, half a dozen starts of chapters, loose phrases that I picked up and thought were cool to use somewhere, a lot of plot questions and very little answers.

So can anyone recommend a spiral-bound, ruled notebook, preferably with hard plastic cover (and if they have the words Quill 570 on them - I'll take those too \:D )

Thanks for reading.

Taco

#30003 - 01/23/05 11:36 PM Re: Quill and Vellum -- Tools of the Trade!
janice-christina
Ching Shih

Loc: australia

#30004 - 05/08/05 10:24 AM Re: Quill and Vellum -- Tools of the Trade!
CheshireCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL USA

I have become a fan of the Moleskine books. I have a pocket sized sketch which I journal and sketch in and it is always with me. It is the book I put thoughts in when not at home. I have a larger lined Paperblanks which very much imitates the style of the Moleskine, with a pocket in the back, rounded corners, elastic to keep it closed and a bookmarker, but it has a very pretty cover, sort of tortoise shell looking. I actually found it at Trident in Boston (but I do not live there like many of you). This is the formal journal but it does not get used as much as the Moleskine.

My work uses what has become my favorite pen, an eGlide from Avery. So now I have several of these smuggled home, and in my purse, in the car... I also carry around a Micron technical pen with sepia ink, this works great for both sketching and journaling. It keeps a consistent, uniform thin line even if you let your pen rest on the page or press down harder.

My boyfriend and I are buckling down and saving for the epic two month Europe trip, and I am going to stock up on Moleskines before I go. I'm really looking forward to writing on the trains. An art teacher of mine once mentioned that when traveling, if you make sketches of buildings, landmarks, etc. rather than taking photos, you will remember your trip much better because you were really looking. So in anticipation, I have begun sketching (in the Moleskine) the buildings at the university where I work on my lunch breaks, to get in good practice. I also like to sketch the inside of bars. I like the way sketches are interspersed with words in that journal. The sketches function just like the words, I think. And I actually like the way a journal looks if it has been written in with many different colored inks.

#30005 - 05/14/05 09:45 PM Re: Quill and Vellum -- Tools of the Trade!
michelleb
Ching Shih

Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally posted by TacoBellChihuahua:
Three years ago I travelled to Australia and bought a simple spiral book, a Quill 570 A5 notebook. I've had many notebooks and binders over the years, most are unused, but somehow this one keeps filling up. I'm using cheap Bic Matic 0.7 mm pencils because I've been known to erase whole sentences and also because they are very light. I've grown so comfortable writing in this notebook I've started to worry now that the notebook is three-quarters full; what notebook to buy that lives up to the trusted Quill?
Taco , I would be happy to send you a supply of the 570s - when I saw some yesterday I immediately thought of your post. If you are interested, email me so we can discuss.

#30006 - 05/19/05 09:59 AM Re: Quill and Vellum -- Tools of the Trade!
Corinne
Ching Shih

Loc: Castlegar, British Columbia, C...

Eek. Evil thread. EVIL!

Japan is everyone's worst enemy when it comes to stationary. I've splurged way too much in the last 9 months! (17 notebooks, anybody?)

The thing is, Japan is obsessed with cute. Everything is so adorable you just can't help but "adopt" it and take it home. Pens! Mechanicle Pencils! Notebooks! Post-its! Folders! Pencil cases! I want it all!

*cough*

Yes, so...if you aren't looking to blow a budget on stationary, Japan is not for you. \:\)

#30007 - 05/19/05 10:19 AM Re: Quill and Vellum -- Tools of the Trade!
lsugaralmond
Ching Shih

Loc: London

Does anyone know of a good recipe journal that can be purchased on-line or in London? I have been searching for one for ages. It has to have room to both write my recipes in (preferably with dividers for different types of food) and also have wallets for keeping recipes clipped from magazines in.
Help me! I have bits of paper lying loose all over the kitchen. My organisation-loving soul is struggling to cope.

#30008 - 05/19/05 02:49 PM Re: Quill and Vellum -- Tools of the Trade!
Albacore
Ching Shih

Loc: Ottawa

No a ready-made journal, but I prefer to keep my recipes in plastic sheet protectors in a three-ring binder. I can take out just the page I'm working from and clip it to the shelf, it's easy to add new things to the appropriate section, and spills are easily wiped off!
Page 10 of 12 « First<89101112>

Moderator:  StephA 
Hop to: