Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#30760 - 06/01/00 08:03 AM Grammar Books
Audra Estrones
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia

My favourite it for sure The Deluxe Transitive Vampire, which is just a grammar handbook, but it is so funny, and so cheesily gothic (on purpose) that I just keep reading, to see what the next sample sentence will be.
#30761 - 06/01/00 08:49 AM Re: Grammar Books
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

That's a great book! It's by Karen Gordon, who's written several grammar books in that cheesy-gothic vein. I have The Well-Tempered Sentence: A Punctuation Handbook for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed. She also wrote The Disheveled Dictionary: A Curious Caper Through Our Sumptuous Lexicon. That's one I want to get. (Like I have room for any more books on language; my shelves are already groaning under the strain of about 150 such volumes!) Still. That's never stopped me before.

Gordon knows how to write some amusing sentences. Here are a couple of samples:

"He wanted to eat her peachy, creamy complexion with his souvenir spoon from Yellowstone Park."

"She always carries bandages with her but will give them only to bleeding people to whom she has been formally introduced."

"Simca Cosmos, past and present president of the Femmes for Fatality, attended the convention on mortality at the Hotel Artaud."

There really are some very fun, accessible books on grammar and style and punctuation out there. Patricia T. O'Conner's Woe is I: The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English is a good one. I think she's just written one called Words Fail Me...I should check on that.

[This message has been edited by deborah (edited June 01, 2000).]

#30762 - 06/02/00 09:24 PM Re: Grammar Books
Dacia
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: North Texas, US

One I like, even though it's not funny, is Elements of Style, the old Strunk and White book. It's just so basic, and covers everything, all in barely 100 pages. It's a classic.
#30763 - 06/07/00 01:00 PM Re: Grammar Books
kitten
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, ON

How do I not have Karen Gordon's books!? I have A University Grammar, which is a bit of a pain to read, but pretty thorough. I can't tell you who wrote it, since I am not near it at the moment, it being at home, and me being at work, and home and work not being the same place.
#30764 - 06/08/00 07:41 AM Re: Grammar Books
kitten
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, ON

After reading about Karen Gordon, I immediately went to indigo.ca and put several of her books on my wish list. Thank you for bringing her to my attention.
#30765 - 02/18/02 01:30 PM Re: Grammar Books
silverflux
Ching Shih

Loc: New York

I ordered from my local B&N Woe is I: The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English by Patricia T. O'Conner.

I have heard many good things about this book. I really hope I learn from it, a lot!

Another excellent grammar book is Warriner's English Grammar and Composition. I just bought the 1957 edition.

Good Luck!

#30766 - 12/30/02 08:33 PM Re: Grammar Books
Pflaume
Ching Shih

I asked this over in Words to the Wise, and had my thread closed since there were already other threads. I feel like a naughty little girl

Anyway, I'm doing some fact-checking at work, and can't resist copy editing as well. And I want some good resources, and wondered if anyone had any opinions on:

The Canadian Style: A Guide to Writing and Editing (Secretary of State Staff: 1996)
Editing Canadian English (Editors Association of Canada: 2000)
Guide to Canadian English Usage (Oxford: 2001)

Also: Latest-model-style vs. the old classics. Anyone have any opinions on old as opposed to new style manuals?

All this has made me decide to read the William Safire books a friend of my dad's gave him to give to me (yes, even my parents' friends, who I've nver met, know what a language geek I am!)

#30767 - 07/23/03 01:16 PM Re: Grammar Books
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

According to this article , the 15th edition (due out next month) of The Chicago Manual of Style is going to include a section on grammar and usage. Better yet, the section is written by Bryan Garner, whose Dictionary of Modern American Usage holds a place of honor on my desk. It sounds like that one's being updated, too. Good additions to my Christmas list!
#30768 - 07/23/03 04:28 PM Re: Grammar Books
Catness
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

A new CMS? ::swoon::! And it's coming so soon too!
#30769 - 08/08/03 08:40 PM Re: Grammar Books
Sars
Ching Shih

Slate.com's reviewer reamed Garner's contribution. [sniffle] I imagine it's probably not his fault that the grammar section is so all over the place; his Modern American Usage has a new edition coming out soon and I can't WAIT.

Sars = dork.

#30770 - 07/06/04 09:03 AM Re: Grammar Books
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The New Yorker had a pretty negative review of "Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation" by Lynne Truss. I thought some of the ChickLiterati might be interested in the review .
#30771 - 07/29/04 10:56 PM Re: Grammar Books
Raven
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL

I just got Garner's Modern American Usage.

I... I love it soooo very, very much. I want to love it and hug it and squeeze it and name it GOD.

*sniffle*

I've just moved into a position as Process Maven, which is fabulous, but I've been reviewing/proofing process documents written by sysadmins almost full-time since. There are times when reading through Garner is all that consoles me.

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  Ria 
Hop to: