Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#30804 - 07/10/00 12:36 PM Why I love reference material
kitten
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, ON

I love English dictionaries because I get a kick out of tracing word histories. I have a couple older dictionaries and am just dying to get a copy of Dr. Johnson's book.

I love specialized dictionaries because I have a thing for collections, in general.

Why do you love your reference material? Is it because you can't stand to be wrong (I'm just teasing), or is there another reason?

#30805 - 07/12/00 09:57 AM Re: Why I love reference material
Gayle
Ching Shih

Loc: Cape Breton, Canada

Because I looooove to learn things. I love to be able to have histories of things at my fingertips. I often flip randomly through my reference books and read entries.
#30806 - 07/12/00 01:50 PM Re: Why I love reference material
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Well, actually, kitten, I can't stand to be wrong.

I'm a trivia junkie. I love learning little bits of information on every topic imaginable. If I learn a new word, I want to know its origin. I have a collection of Asimov's non-fiction writing about all kinds of different things - the Bible, Shakespeare, the history of science and technology - because I like to browse through them. Ditto for An Incomplete Education. It's just so much fun!

#30807 - 07/13/00 07:48 AM Re: Why I love reference material
kitten
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, ON

Wouldn't it be great to work for some sort of trivia company? When I was in I think grade 4, you couldn't pry my Giant Book of Trivia away from me. Some kids thought I was a wicked loser because I could explain why 'ghoti' was pronounced 'fish,' but teachers loved me! Probably that trivia book was the start of me thinking that half the population are morons. There were *way* too many people who didn't think the stuff in my book was fascinating.

By the way, I don't relish being wrong either.

#30808 - 10/10/00 11:56 AM Re: Why I love reference material
C76
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Ontario, Canada

I love reference materials because I consider them a source of intellectual salvation and inspiration.

They also manage to remind me of all the things I have yet to learn.

#30809 - 10/11/00 04:28 AM Re: Why I love reference material
Joy
Ching Shih

Loc: London

I like to own reference works because I like to look things up. If a question is bugging me, I want the answer!

The Boy and I spent the two weeks before our wedding bothering everyone we knew to find out why there are two tides a day, when the moon only passes overhead once a day. Now we have a good geology book.

#30810 - 11/10/00 10:45 PM Re: Why I love reference material
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

So Joy, why are there two tides a day? Now I want to know! It seems like I should know this, but I don't.

Edited to add, I am an etymology freak. My big dream is to own the leather bound full OED. Some day I will reward myself with it, if my husband doesn't get there first.

[This message has been edited by FishDreamer (edited November 10, 2000).]

#30811 - 12/17/00 08:51 PM Re: Why I love reference material
licorice
Ching Shih

Loc: New York - the state, not the ...

Quote:
Originally posted by kitten:
Some kids thought I was a wicked loser because I could explain why 'ghoti' was pronounced 'fish,' but teachers loved me!

So, why IS ghoti pronounced fish...and what on earth does that mean? ;\)

I enjoy finding answers with reference materials, but I'm even more thrilled when it creates further questions. I can't really explain it, but having a knowledge base that launches me into looking for further answers is my idea of heaven.

#30812 - 12/17/00 11:19 PM Re: Why I love reference material
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

licorice, I think George Bernard Shaw originated this little gem:

gh - pronounced like the "gh" in cough
o - pronounced like the "o" in women
ti - pronounced like the "ti" in nation

= fish.

I feel sorry for ESL students, I tell you.

#30813 - 12/18/00 05:36 PM Re: Why I love reference material
licorice
Ching Shih

Loc: New York - the state, not the ...

Thanks. Crazy English language - I'm certain this is precisely how the cliche "Can't live with it, can't live without it" began. Unless, of course, another trivia fiend in here knows its true orgin. hee!
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Ria 
Hop to: