Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#30829 - 10/07/00 11:03 AM Symbols
hula
Ching Shih

Loc: Victoria, BC

I would really like to find a good cross-cultural reference book that outlines common (and uncommon) symbols, archetypes, etc. I remember there being a very good one in my university library but do you think I can remember what is was called?

It listed symbols alphabetically, and had great concise entries on almost everything. Often it included conflicting interpretations from different societies, or eras.

Does anyone own something like this? I've checked online but there is nothing nearly as comprehensive as what I'm looking for.

#30830 - 10/08/00 08:34 AM Re: Symbols
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

hula, I'm not sure if these will be what you're looking for:

J.E. Cirlot's A Dictionary of Symbols has helped me on many occasions. My only beef is that it has way too few illustrations.

Ernst Lehner's Symbols, Signs and Signets is great but has the opposite problem: all illutrations, next to no explanations.

Usually between the two of these I can figure out what I need.

I presume you've looked at:
http://www.symbols.com

I love this one because it has both a verbal and a graphic index.

[This message has been edited by deborah (edited October 08, 2000).]

#30831 - 10/08/00 09:49 AM Re: Symbols
hula
Ching Shih

Loc: Victoria, BC

Thanks, Deborah - Cirlot's is the one I used in university.

I have never seen symbols.com (because that would have been entirely too obvious and logical for me!) I took a look and it seems to be excellent if one is looking for an actual graphic sign. I bookmarked it but I think I'm going to try and get a copy of both of the books you posted.

#30832 - 10/10/00 10:43 AM Re: Symbols
kitten
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, ON

I'm not at home right now, and my books are all packed anyway, but we have the Women's Dictionary of Sacred Symbols and Objects (I think that's what it's called), and another one or two. Okay, so this doesn't help you at all. Maybe I'll post again in a month or so when they are unpacked. But the Women's Dictionary is neat. It isn't done alphabetically, but rather by shape. There's the chapter on circular motifs, triangular, etc.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Ria 
Hop to: