Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#30873 - 05/17/01 09:34 AM Art and Craft of Lexicography
kitten
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, ON

I have a new book to read: Dictionaries: the Art and Craft of Lexicography. Well, I actually bought it about 6 years ago, but for some reason I never got around to reading it.

I always thought it would be neat to help write a dictionary. Oh sure, it would be dry and more than a little tedious, I'm sure, but wouldn't it be neat to say you worked on one?

#30874 - 05/17/01 11:07 AM Re: Art and Craft of Lexicography
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Oh, kitten, I would love to work on a dictionary!

Of course, I'd be the one shrieking in meetings about how I don't care that 90 percent of Americans are saying "nauseous" when they mean "nauseated," we're still not changing the definition of "nauseous" in our dictionary. So, I'd be fired pretty quickly. It would be fun while it lasted, though.

#30875 - 05/17/01 02:58 PM Re: Art and Craft of Lexicography
kitten
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, ON

I hear you. In fact, there's a chapter called Attitudes Toward Usage and the Notion of Correctness. I'm not there yet, though.
#30876 - 04/01/02 01:10 PM Re: Art and Craft of Lexicography
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

Ooh, how did I miss this before? I'd love to work on a dictionary too. Not a dictionary of contemporary usage though, because I'd be screaming right along with you. It's one thing to get colloquial when you're playing with words and you know how to use them properly, it's something else to be willfully ignorant. Why do people not care that they sound ignorant and uneducated?

I can see a dictionary (glossary?) of Chicklit usage. Someone started that thread, I think in Generalities.

#30877 - 04/01/02 01:26 PM Re: Art and Craft of Lexicography
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

Edited because apparently it was only on my work computer that you couldn't see the first post. Grr.

[This message has been edited by FishDreamer (edited April 01, 2002).]

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Ria 
Hop to: