Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#30902 - 10/22/02 05:30 PM I need ________! And quickly, too.
Ria Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Massachusetts, USA

I've been meaning to start a thread for general reference queries, requests for good references on specific topics, etc. As it happens, I have a really specific request today with which to start the topic.

I find myself far away from the MLA style guide, and in desperate need of the citation-formula for web pages. How do you do it, what if there's no author listed, etc. etc. Can somebody help? I'm sure most, if not all (Angiv!) of the Chickliterati own the MLA book...

#30903 - 10/22/02 09:49 PM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
Masha
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

The only thing I have on hand is a fourth edition from way back in the olden days (1995), but this is what it has to say:

Quote:
Your citation of an electronic text should contain the following items:

1. Name of the author (if any)
2. Title of the text (underlined)
3. Publication information for the printed source
4. Publication medium (Online)
5. Name of the repository of the electronic text (e.g., Oxford Text Archive)
6. Name of the computer network
7. Date of access

This is one of the examples given (forgive the lack of indentation):

Hardy, Thomas. Far from the Madding Crowd. Ed. Ronald Blythe. Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1978. Online. Oxford Text Archive. Internet. 24 Jan. 1994

I'd change that "Internet" to the actual URL of the site, and I'd think a "last updated" date would be more useful than "date accessed." But, then I have plenty of issues with the MLA, including but not limited to the damn underlining, which is nothing but a hangover from the days of typewriters.

Hope that helps, Ria, or at least holds you over until someone with a newer edition shows up.

[This message has been edited by Masha (edited October 22, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Masha (edited October 22, 2002).]

#30904 - 10/23/02 09:33 AM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
Ria Moderator
Ching Shih

Thanks, Masha! That's great. And as for 1995 being the olden days... that's the edition I own, so it's not so terribly old.
#30905 - 10/23/02 12:07 PM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
Library Girl
Ching Shih

Loc: North Carolina

Here is the info straight from the horse's mouth ( MLA ):

Scholarly Project

Victorian Women Writers Project. Ed. Perry Willett. Apr. 1997. Indiana U. 26 Apr. 1997 .

Professional Site

Portuguese Language Page. U of Chicago. 1 May

1997 .

Personal Site

Lancashire, Ian. Home page. 1 May 1997 .

There is more on the page under "How do I document sources from the World Wide Web..."

"Name of the author, editor, compiler, or translator of the source (if available and relevant)

[This message has been edited by Library Girl (edited October 23, 2002).]

#30906 - 10/23/02 12:18 PM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
Catness
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

I've got the 1999 edition, the formula looks about the same. I'll include it for your reference:

Quote:

To document an online professional or personal site, begin the tnry with the name of the person who created it (if given and relevant), reversed for alphabetizing and followed by a period. Continue with the title of the site (underlined) or if there is no title, with a description such as Home page (neither underlined nor in quotation marks); the name of any institution or organization associated with the site; the date of access; and the network address.

Dawe, James. [u]Jane Austen Page[u]. 15 Sept. 1998 .

(Imagine a .5 hanging indent on the citation.)

I agree with Masha about the underlining and the last updated instead of last access.

Pawing through the MLA, I reminded of how much I dislike it. Feh.

#30907 - 10/23/02 08:34 PM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

This is a great idea for a thread. I've meant to start something like this a million times and never got around to it.

I have no questions right now, but I will. Thanks, Ria.

#30908 - 11/01/02 10:02 PM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
Masha
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Does anyone know of the top of her head what the standard style guide is for papers in the social sciences? I'm proofreading a political science thesis and I'm wondering about footnotes.
#30909 - 11/01/02 10:23 PM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
voiceofreason
Ching Shih

Loc: Brookline, MA, USA

Hey y'all, does anyone know if there's a special way to address the wife of an Anglican bishop? I know the Bishop is the Right Reverend Mr., but if I introduced the Bishop and his wife, would I say "The Right Reverend Mr. and Mrs. Smith" or do I have to say "The Right Reverend Mr. Smith and Mrs. Smith" or is there some other way altogether.
#30910 - 11/02/02 09:19 PM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
Ria Moderator
Ching Shih

Masha, I'm about 99% sure it's APA.

voiceofreason, The Right Rev. Mr. and Mrs. Smith sounds good to me. I'd call and ask my grandmother, but she's several countries away.

#30911 - 11/09/02 11:23 PM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
ainsley
Ching Shih

Loc: north carolina

i made it through four years as a polisci major and used mla on every paper. in my experience, all social sciences except psych either do not care or use mla.
Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Ria 
Hop to: