Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#30912 - 11/21/02 01:46 AM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
Ryo
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: New York

Masha and Ria :

Finally! A use for the geeky knowledge I stored up while working on the English list of a textbook publisher!

Yes, generally speaking, social sciences follow APA ( American Psychological Association ) guidelines, English/linguistics follow MLA ( Modern Language Association ) while journalists prefer CMS ( Chicago Manual of Style ), and the hard sciences go with CBE ( Council of Biological Editors ) style.

I have a strange fondness for MLA, which causes problems because my writing partner is a firm believer in CMS. Is it wrong that I have an attachment to a citation format? \:\)

#30913 - 11/21/02 09:42 AM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
Ria Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Massachusetts, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryo:
I have a strange fondness for MLA, which causes problems because my writing partner is a firm believer in CMS. Is it wrong that I have an attachment to a citation format? \:\)
No, not at all, because I completely agree about the superiority of MLA.

#30914 - 01/27/03 11:40 AM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
kers
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I too have an attachment to MLA. I'm getting an education degree and have had to switch to APA after almost a decade of MLA. There are no words to describe my hatred of APA. It makes no sense to my brain.

Does anyone know anything about the evolution of the different styles? I'm curious about why, for example, APA eschews quotations in favor of summaries and why you cite entire documents rather than specific pages (ie, "(Kers, 2003)" instead of "(Kers, p. 34)").

#30915 - 03/18/03 04:03 PM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
Ria Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Massachusetts, USA

*bump*
#30916 - 03/18/03 04:23 PM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
Reni
Ching Shih

Oops. I knew there was probably a thread like this around here somewhere. Anyone know of good books or websites illustrating architectural terms? I've found a few myself, but I'm sure there are some chicklit experts out there.
#30917 - 03/18/03 04:46 PM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
Masha
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Reni, I don't have a specific site to recommend, but maybe this page (from Voice of the Shuttle) can help. Like most VoS links, they're academic sites, and as such more reliable than a general search would turn up.
#30918 - 05/01/03 09:42 AM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
curlgirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Boston, MA, USA

I'm doing a research project for my boss that involves finding out the actual publication dates (month, day, year) of a number of books. For the American editions I've been going through old issues of Publishers Weekly; for British editions, the Times Literary Supplement, mainly looking for the publishers' ads stating "issued today" or the like. However, some of the other editions I'm supposed to be finding dates for are Canadian or "Colonial" editions (most of these are from the 1920s-1950s). Does anyone know of some publishing industry publications from these areas that might have this information (and that I might actually be able to find in a US library)?
#30919 - 06/18/03 04:36 PM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
tangentgirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Long Beach, CA

Curlgirl, you still doing this? You might talk to the reference librarian at the best library in your area. She or he should have something for you.
#30920 - 08/12/04 04:03 PM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
VegetarianOnHiatus
Ching Shih

Loc: Somerville, MA, USA

Thanks so much to Ria for directing me to this thread.

I was hoping that one of you could help me think of a name for my much-loved car. This week it survived a brush with death (one mechanic told me that the transmission was going, resulting in much weeping and gnashing of teeth; another mechanic changed a valve and now it runs again), so I'd like to name it after a fictional or mythological character who also survived a brush with death. Male or female; my car has no gender thus far. Does anyone have any suggestions or know where I can go to find such a thing?

#30921 - 08/12/04 05:38 PM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
Promethea
Ching Shih

Mark Twain: reports of its death were greatly exaggerated. Plus Twain was pretty cool and travelled a lot.

Not fictional, however (though not his real name). How about Orpheus - travelled to the Underworld but returned?

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Ria 
Hop to: