Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#30932 - 05/17/05 01:38 PM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

Does anybody know of a guide or guides that would help me in copyediting a book with a lot of foreign-language quotes (seriously, everything from Albanian to Zulu) that need to have pronunciation guides appended? The author of the book has provided pronunciation guides in many cases, but they are not rendered in a standard way. They should be given informally (no schwas and other standard linguistic markers--this is a fun little gift book, not a reference book, so I don't want to make it inaccessible) but need to be consistent. My instinct is to consult foreign-language-to-English translation dictionaries (which I will need to do anyway to check the translations of the quotes) and then standardize the pronunciations according to some system that I hope to find in a book rather than create from scratch. Any ideas?
#30933 - 04/11/06 09:47 AM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
SoIAmGlad
Ching Shih

Loc: Pennsylvania

I'm editing an invitation and looking for a more elegant way to express the final course of champagne and chocolates. Right now, it follows the section headed, "Entree" and it's called, "After Dessert Is Cleared" which seems awfully clunky.

I've tried looking for an antonym for "aperitif" with no luck. Does anyone know if there's a name for this course?

#30934 - 04/11/06 10:03 AM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
Ada_Doom
Ching Shih

Loc: Worcester, UK

Digestif? It's the antonym for an aperitif in the sense of an alocoholic drink to aid digestion. Usually a cognac or port, but it might apply in this case.
#30935 - 04/11/06 10:47 AM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
SoIAmGlad
Ching Shih

Loc: Pennsylvania

Thanks, Ada_Doom. The event coordinator didn't like the sound of that word, so we ended up with "After Dessert." It's better than the original wording, at least.
#30936 - 09/29/06 02:44 PM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

I need to know if there's some online resource than provides definitive transliterations into English for non-English place names. I'm writing a paper in which I need to mention that someone was exiled to a place called Akka/Acre in what is now Israel, but was then recognized as Palestine. I've seen the name of the town rendered (with and without various diacritics) as Akka, 'Akkŕ, ‘Akko, Akko, Acco...and several others. I realize some of these lean toward the Arabic, some toward the Hebrew, and so forth. (Let's not even get into what the Greeks called it! Antiochia Ptolemais? Way to come up with a snappy name for a town, dudes...) Since Israel's in possession of it now, I'm inclined to go with the Hebrew. But is there some authoritative source online I can consult? Googling isn't getting me much.
#30937 - 09/29/06 08:51 PM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
Ria Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Massachusetts, USA

Try to find how it is written in English in a UN-produced document. UN translators (are supposed to, and I think almost always do) use place names that are those recognized/preferred in diplomatic circles. They get briefings and written materials that tell them such things.
#30938 - 09/30/06 06:37 AM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

Thanks, Ria! That's a good idea. I've found several UN maps that have it as 'Akko, so I'll probably run with that.
#30939 - 09/30/06 07:05 AM Re: I need ________! And quickly, too.
bunnicula
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada

If you would like to cover your butt, you could also put the other common spellings in a footnote.

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  Ria 
Hop to: