Page 5 of 8 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#30980 - 07/30/04 01:26 PM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
Catness
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

Heya, ProfessorMcSmartyPants! Welcome to chicklit!

To make your quoted text easier to read, check out the UBB FAQ which provides all sorts of instructions on how to code in UBB. It's very easy once you get the hang of it.

Also, have a gander at chicklit's shiny, new FAQ .

Of course, we'd love to know more about you, so hop on over to our meet and greet thread .

#30981 - 08/10/04 11:28 AM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
LauraT
Ching Shih

Loc: Redwood City, CA, USA

anotherjen, the public library in my college town did that too. They had one of those price sticker guns (except these stickers had the due date on them) and slapped a sticker on the front of every book. It worked ok, since all the hardbacks had the clear covers on them, and all the paperbacks are slick already, but I would have hated to be the person who had to peel all of them off after the books were returned!
#30982 - 09/15/04 06:22 AM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
tripichik88
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Northwest of Normal in Eugene,...

Quote:
I feel like a dolt for not thinking about the downsizing that auto-checkout machines might cause. Although I do prefer them (because I am frequently crabby and antisocial), I hate to support anything that could lead to fewer library jobs!
After reading this thread, I feel very fortunate to be a volunteer at the Eugene Public Library which moved into shiny new digs in December 2002. So lovely to live in a town where the voters repeatedly demonstrate their support of the library by approving bond issues. Alas, I have no head for figures or I'd recall the specifics of how our townspeople read a phenomenal number of books per person per year. They volunteer in great numbers too.

Our automated check-out pioneered the use of RFID tags in Oregon. The system isn't quite as effortless as it was depicted in the original glowing descriptions: we had visions of being able to check out huge stacks of books in seconds. IRL the books must be carefully stacked in short piles on the sensor, but the touchscreen system works so well that all check-out stations function as self-check. Many relish the privacy afforded by a self-check system. Circulation staff are readily available to help, troubleshoot, accept fee payments, and hand out holds, lots and lots of holds. Check-in is also automated -- a conveyor belt transports books through a system of scanners and sorters.

Despite all this automation, the number of paid staff has increased, in part to meet the increased demand that I understand always results when a library expands in a new site. Many staff members now have more interesting jobs since they're no longer stuck doing the mind-numbing chores required to check in and rough sort books at the old site. The new library offers far more programs, especially for teens. Hmmm, I guess this really belongs in a "When good libraries get better" thread.

#30983 - 12/02/04 10:36 PM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
sophietje
Ching Shih

Loc: Buffalo, NY, USA, Earth, The U...

I'm not sure where exactly I should post this, but here seems as good as any.

So in order to win an award for biggest asshat in the universe, the only budget that our county executive put forth includes closing all of the Buffalo and Erie County libraries . Dec 7th is the last day to borrow books and they must all be returned by dec 28th. We're also losing snowplowing(!), the zoo, the parks, blah blah blah, but it's the libraries that has everyone spitting angry.
The county exec says we can avoid this scortched-earth approach if the county board agrees to a 1% sales tax increase (making it 9.25%), but evindently he's not willing to make bigger sacrafices like firing his personal driver who earns $81,000/year.

So this isn't really a case of "when good libraries go bad"... more like "when an excellent library get screwed."

#30984 - 12/03/04 03:20 AM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
blueberry
Ching Shih

Loc: Jhb, RSA

sophietje that is shocking. And the site says they're shutting down all the libraries! They cut the new books budget to all Johannesburg libraries in 2000, and I was mortified, but at least they didn't shut them down. That is just not justifiable.

#30985 - 12/03/04 06:56 AM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
Promethea
Ching Shih

It must be a bargaining stunt, surely? No sane council could seriously propose closing all libraries? Assholes. The best of luck with that campaign, I can think of few more important.
#30986 - 12/03/04 07:38 AM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

What? What??!!

Sorry for all the punctuation, but this is a pretty dire situation. It really does sound like a bargaining stunt. And even if it is, and they have no real intention of following through, that's a bullshit thing to put the public and all the library employees through.

#30987 - 12/03/04 09:20 AM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
sophietje
Ching Shih

Loc: Buffalo, NY, USA, Earth, The U...

I also think this is a bargaining stunt. The county exec had no support for the tax hike, so he tried a different approach. He picked things that are most likely to get the public outcry, so the citizens will push the legislators to agree to the 1% tax hike insted. The problem is that there are currently not enough votes for the tax hike, and if they do nothing, this "red budget" will go into effect automatically on Dec 7th.

I think at the least it is making everyone appriciate the libraries more. I've never even been in the main branch, and I'm missing it already.

#30988 - 12/31/04 10:46 PM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
LibraryGoddess
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by ProfessorMcSmartyPants:
Just a point of clarification. Librarians have masters degrees and don't usually check out books. The people that you see at the check out desk are usually clerks (usually a civil service job) or student aides.
Thanks for pointing that out. ;\) I am a school librarian, so I do everything, but in Public and University Libraries, the Librarian rarely touches the circulation computer, if ever. The ladies (or men) behind the circ desk rarely even have a college degree much less the required Master Degree to be a Librarian. It always makes me cringe when someone refers to the clerks as librarians. I guess after spending $60,000 to be a Librarian, I get kind of bent out shape about it. ;\)

Regarding a town getting rid of its libraries...
I read an article a few years ago about a particular county in Washington. The residents wanted a referendum about the County Library. Certain RESIDENTS wanted to vote to stop funding a county library. I am not sure what happened with it, but I am pretty sure that it was on the ballot as a question. Can you imagine? It isn't just the people who do the funding/budgeting in the governmental bodies, but now it seems some people don't want their taxes to support a library. I can't even comprehend the thinking that is behind this sort of thinking!

#30989 - 01/01/05 07:10 AM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
Happy Birthday dazey
Ching Shih

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Quote:
The ladies (or men) behind the circ desk rarely even have a college degree much less the required Master Degree to be a Librarian.
Actually, when I was a library assistant (doing circulation etc.) every last one of us had university degrees, and mostly pretty good ones. The pay was lousy and we were mostly not using our qualifications, but there they were. That was a university library in the UK, though, so those might be relevant variables.

Page 5 of 8 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  Ria 
Hop to: