Page 7 of 8 « First<45678>
Topic Options
#31000 - 10/31/05 01:38 PM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
klaradyn
Ching Shih

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa

I found out today that in my local library the Jane Austen books are shelved in the Young Adult section.
#31001 - 11/05/05 10:00 PM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
LibraryGoddess
Ching Shih

Jerusha, there are ways in an automated catalog to search when you are unsure of how to spell the author's name or if you are unsure of the exact title.

Say, for example, I am looking for "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire", I can just type in "Goblet" in the Title field and it will give me every book with the word Goblet in the title. I use this feature a lot in my library when I sort of know the title I am trying to find for a kid, but not completely.

If you are unsure of the way to spell an author's last name, most card catalogs have a browse type feature where you can type in just the first few letters of the last name and go from there.

Each card catalog is different, depending on the system (brand) it is, but they all have really neat features like that. Next time sit down and just play around with it. You might be surprised!

#31002 - 12/02/05 05:54 PM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
Jerusha Mac
Ching Shih

Loc: SF East Bay

Thanks, LibraryGoddess! I just tried it out w/just the word "Geisha" and it didn't bring up the Arthur Golden book, but "memoirs" did (eventually).
#31003 - 12/28/05 12:55 AM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
aharrington
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Rochester, NY

As a librarian, I have to add - when you can't find something, ask for help at the reference desk. LibraryGoddess gave a very good explanation of the browse feature on the online catalog. I'm so happy that Jeruscha Mac was able to find what she needed! I might have also tried a keyword search using the words Geisha and Arthur Golden. If those words are in a book's record, it will come up
#31004 - 01/15/06 09:32 AM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
cocojosie
Ching Shih

Loc: Stockholm/Oxford

My local library has been transformed into a hairdresser's and a liquor store. A liquor store owned by the state, I might add, since that is the way things are done in Sweden.
#31005 - 02/14/06 09:27 PM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
di
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Michigan, USA

Don't know if I just came into the whole computerized system after they had perfected it at my library -- but I've had little problem with it. I love how I can put things on hold online right from home. My library is also part of a coalition of libraries; so I can reserve things from other libraries, too, and have them sent to my library for pick-up. Nothing's perfect, of course, but my experience has only been good so far.

#31006 - 02/15/06 04:29 AM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
liz_isabella
Ching Shih

After a period of not using public libraries (there was a blacklisted card, and a fight, and pain, and it's a long story) I have returned and found to my horror that you have to pay R3 per book you'd like to hold or reserve. R3! Paying for the right to reserve! What has the world come to?

#31007 - 02/16/06 08:02 PM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
chickeninthewoods
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago area

Yikes. I wonder if it's an attempt to deter people from reserving a book and then forgetting/changing their mind? That's terribly annoying to staff, even if the extra work isn't substantial. We instituted various small "annoyance" costs like that at libraries I've worked in -- just to make people stop and think about what they're doing.

But still, I'd hope reserving a book, at the very least, would be free.

#31008 - 02/17/06 06:13 AM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
liz_isabella
Ching Shih

I think you're right, that it's to deter people from just not bothering to come pick books up. Then again, our library system is perpetually underfunded that they don't even send out renewal notices anymore. Either you return your books on time or you get fined. If you're fine exceeds R50, then you get blacklisted. And that's a real nightmare to fix. Still, it's an inconvenience.

#31009 - 02/17/06 02:32 PM Re: When good libraries go bad ....
Pflaume
Ching Shih

liz_isabella: What currency is 'R'?
Page 7 of 8 « First<45678>

Moderator:  Ria 
Hop to: