Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#31035 - 05/30/01 05:15 PM "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
Angiv
Ching Shih

Loc: Scotland

I've just counted, and I have "Teach Yourself" books for 13 different languages. That's not counting the 6 languages I already speak.

The 13 are (in no partcular order): Dutch, Icelandic, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Russian, Serbo-Croat, Portuguese, Spanish, Malay, Welsh, and Scots Gaelic.

I doubt that I'll ever get around to learning all these languages, but I can't resist the urge to buy the books second-hand.

Do any of you do this? Have you ever successfully taught yourself a language from one of these books? What languages do you wish you could learn from a book?

#31036 - 05/30/01 08:28 PM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
Masha
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Latin: An Intensive Course has sat near my desk for going on three years now. So far, the osmosis method of language acquisition is not working. Somehow, the only teach-yourself books that appeal to me are for dead languages or others that I will never be required to speak out loud. Sheesh, imagine teaching a correct French accent from a book. Is such a thing even possible?
#31037 - 05/31/01 09:26 AM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I have a pile of "teach yourself Russian" books and tapes. I learned Russian in college (over 20 years ago, yikes), and am really re-learning it. It was going pretty well until last fall, then my Master's program started kicking my butt and I had to stop the extraneous study. I'll get back into it after I graduate.

I'd like to learn Latin, too, but since Masha's field-testing has proved that the osmosis method doesn't work (*sigh*), that will have to wait.

#31038 - 05/31/01 01:13 PM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
kitten
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, ON

I have Colloquial Greek: A Complete Language Course sitting here with me. But since I never bought the accompanying tapes, it's useful for reading but I need Tzimmi to help me with my pronunciation. But for the most part it just sits in my desk drawer waiting for me to open it.
#31039 - 05/31/01 01:26 PM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
Sars
Ching Shih

I taught myself ASL out of a book but promptly forgot all of it a week later. Still have the book, though.

Are there any Internet-based learning courses for language?

#31040 - 05/31/01 09:09 PM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
Angiv
Ching Shih

I'm sure Sars knows this already...

this site has some, and links to loads of other cool language related nonsense. It's one of my favourite sites. This and others can be found in the chicklit library .

I haven't looked at any of these lonweb courses, but I refuse to believe that they can provide the same feeling of potential I get from picking up a book that promises to teach me a whole new language. Can't beat it.

#31041 - 12/07/01 07:39 AM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
sarkycat
Ching Shih

Hey! isn't that Russian one mine?
#31042 - 12/07/01 01:37 PM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
Angiv
Ching Shih

No, but I do still have your Italian one, and I think one of the two Welsh books on my shelf belongs to the evil old bag lady.
#31043 - 12/23/01 07:40 AM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
nanliza
Ching Shih

I've got a pile of teach yourself German books, since I have to learn it by February. Uh-oh. I'm not doing that well. I've also got Italian books, which went a lot better than the German but still not very well. I thought it would be easier because I was raised bilingually (English and Welsh) but it's really not. I hated German the first time round (did it for a year when I was fourteen) and I can't believe I have to learn it in order to go to Vienna in a few months. Apart from which, someone told me that the Viennese have a really incomprehensible accent. I can't wait...
#31044 - 01/03/02 03:45 PM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
listersgirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

Can anyone recommend a good teach-yourself book for Italian? I'm going there to visit a friend in July, and have absolutely no background in this language (and would really like to at least be able to read signs!)
Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Ria 
Hop to: