Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#31045 - 01/19/02 02:08 PM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
sarkycat
Ching Shih

Loc: Scotland

Russian, German, Italian, Greek, Swahili.

So far all I have gleaned from these books is that the Swahili for Hippopotamus is Kiboko.

#31046 - 01/19/02 07:34 PM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
cailinoBAC
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Russian and Italian. I did learn some Spanish, and my Dad just bought the linguaphone a few days ago, so I might practice. And I will learn those languages. Eventually.
#31047 - 01/20/02 11:50 AM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
sixta
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I like the "Breakthrough" series by MacMillan - lots of pictures and reasonably up to date and non-stilted. I've got the Spanish 1 & 2 borrowed the Italian one - it was hilarious, (I'm easily amused) and fun to use, so I'd recommend that one. Whereabouts are you going in Italy? Great language to learn if you just want to make yourself understood, tricky if you want to speak it with a modicum of elegance. I've got piles of Berlitz phrase books - not quite the same. Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, German, French.
#31048 - 04/05/02 10:02 PM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
sarkycat
Ching Shih

I now have Teach Yourself Old English. Yes, that's right, Anglo-Saxon. I am beyond help. I originally bought it for Angiv, but she's not getting it.
#31049 - 04/22/02 05:05 PM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
sophietje
Ching Shih

Loc: Buffalo, NY, USA, Earth, The U...

ohhhh.... I know this is an old topic, but I have to chime in (I'm new here, so I didn't see this before, of course!)

I also collect Teach Yourself books. I love linguistics and any chance to learn even a few phrases to illistrate linguistic (especially historical) points in my head.

My Teach Yourself books are:
Swedish, Irish, Welsh, Arabic, Modern Greek, Hindi, Beginner's Chinese, and Begginer's Hindi Script.
I also have a plethora of other language-teaching books (mostly from high school, college courses) including:
Portugese, French, German, Russian, Dutch, Gothic, Old English, Latin, Italian, Irish, Danish, Yiddish, [editied because I forgot Afrikaans... too close to Dutch ].

I'm also addicted to the language tapes 'Language/ 30'. The only language that I stuck with for the whole of a book on my own was Portugese.

I'm very glad to see other language addicts.

[This message has been edited by sophietje (edited April 22, 2002).]

#31050 - 05/18/02 06:26 AM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
Angiv
Ching Shih

sophietje, never apologise for bumping up old topics. We like it.

i bought a Czech phrase book a few weeks ago. I've never looked at a book like that with the conviction that I couldn't learn the language. Until now. I really don't think I'll ever be able to speak Czech. It's a little depressing...

#31051 - 05/18/02 09:07 AM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
Jessa
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Just a suggestion: If you have a good ear, consider buying textbooks from a university bookstore. I have a really good ear for every language except French, which explains why I have to go to the Alliance Francaise and torture myself. Therefore, learning out of a book isn't too bad.

I always think that knowing how to conjugate and apply generally (and then just building vocab) is ultimately better than learning how to say, "Excuse me, are you the porter? I am looking for a burgundy suitcase."

#31052 - 05/19/02 04:48 AM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
Daegaer
Ching Shih

I'm a dead language addict, and have books for Classical Greek, Classical Latin and Classical Hebrew. I'm a bit wary of the actual Teach Yourself series, though, as their Teach Yourself Biblical Hebrew is awful. I don't think it's helpful at all.

Lovers of Latin might like to look at C.J. Cherryh's website - before she became a full-time author, she taught Latin in highschool, and has her own, "grammar-light" teaching method (you learn grammatical rules without wading through grammatical terms). It's very easy to follow, but she hasn't updated it in a while.

For modern languages, I have a book and tape set, and a different book for Arabic. Have I opened them in the months and months since I got them? No, and neither did the previous owner, because they were brand new when I seized them in the second-hand bookshop.

Edited to add: my brother was throwing out a Teach Yourself Afrikaans - no prizes for guessing it didn't make it past my hands.

[This message has been edited by Daegaer (edited July 02, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Daegaer (edited July 02, 2002).]

#31053 - 06/12/05 09:27 AM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
cocojosie
Ching Shih

Loc: Stockholm/Oxford

I love Colloquial Japanese -- I've tried quite a bit of teach-yourself-Japanese books and this is by far the best one. Comes with handy CDs for listening and repeating, too.
#31054 - 06/12/05 04:50 PM Re: "Teach Yourself (insert language of choice)" books
Daegaer
Ching Shih

Ooh, cocojosie, I just got Colloquial Japanese! I haven't had a chance to do more than glance at it yet, though.
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Ria 
Hop to: