Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#31074 - 11/28/04 02:13 PM Style Manual Quizzes
Linda Adams
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Northern Virginia

This is a site I ran across that has a series of quizzes based on The Associated Press Stylebook. They cover commonly confused words, hyphenation, and possessives.

AP Stylebook Quizzes

#31075 - 11/30/04 05:15 AM Re: Style Manual Quizzes
Si Wang Mu
Ching Shih

Loc: Victoria

Oh my god, do you know how many of those there are? This could be the procrastinatory death of my paper writing! Although, those quizzes are a lot harder than I expected, so may turn out to be useful!
#31076 - 12/06/04 09:05 AM Re: Style Manual Quizzes
Rainee
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: upstate New York

I taught journalism at a college in Nebraska, and one of the books I required for my News Writing and Reporting class was the AP Stylebook. Every semester, I had students who were enrolled in my course as well as in an English composition course, and many of them used to spend time in my office complaining to me about the fact that conventional English rules and AP Stylebook rules are not always in agreement -- very true. The discrepancy bothered some of them terribly.

Thanks, Linda. That's a great link!

#31077 - 12/30/04 05:46 AM Re: Style Manual Quizzes
literaryvamp
Ching Shih

Loc: British Columbia

Those are really great. It really bothers me that my grammer has gotten worse since high school. 80% on the first test, 40% on the second. I'm so ashamed. But I am learning a lot of new rules...
And I'm also paranoid about writing this post now. Thanks ;\)

#31078 - 01/06/05 10:14 PM Re: Style Manual Quizzes
essay
Ching Shih

Linda Adams, these AP stylebook quizzes are a lot of fun, even though they reveal that I should probably not set my sites on becoming a copy editor any time soon. Thanks for posting about them.

And I do know what literary vamp means about the paranoia about posting that sets in after taking one of them.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Ria 
Hop to: