Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#32013 - 07/04/06 09:51 AM Re: Buying Computers and Their Bits
Crankybroad
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Atlanta, GA

I have a MacBook Pro that I got about 2 weeks ago. While it does get a little warm after a few hours of use - I tend to sit in bed with it propped up on my legs -but not uncomfortably hot.
I am in love with this computer. My school computer is a Dell laptop (I am a teacher and I bring my laptop home but I am not comforable using my school computer for my own internet browsing) and it is great also - but heavy. My husband just got a Sony and it was pricey but a piece of crap. It makes all sorts of weird noises and the sound is horrible. Awful awful awful!!
I have a preference for Macs anyway. This MacBook replaced my old faithful purple iMac I've had since 1998. Still runs beautifully but it is not compatible with the new printers and we just replaced the HP printer we bought when I got the iMac. In 1998. I hope this Mac lasts as long because it was not cheap.

#32014 - 07/13/06 09:42 PM Re: Buying Computers and Their Bits
essay
Ching Shih

I thought about starting a new thread for this topic, but maybe I'll post here for now. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience where the new computer turns out not to be quite as user friendly as the old. I bought my new computer a couple of months ago, but am still typing this on the old, as it just feels more comfortable to use, despite the fact that the 'n' key keeps falling off midsentence. I need to switcho over to that one and in fact I often do post from there, but I'm finding switching over completely harder than I thought, despite certain obvious advantages. Anyone else gone through this experience, or am I just odd?
#32015 - 07/13/06 10:58 PM Re: Buying Computers and Their Bits
ken_m
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by essay:
I thought about starting a new thread for this topic, but maybe I'll post here for now. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience where the new computer turns out not to be quite as user friendly as the old. I bought my new computer a couple of months ago, but am still typing this on the old, as it just feels more comfortable to use, despite the fact that the 'n' key keeps falling off midsentence. I need to switcho over to that one and in fact I often do post from there, but I'm finding switching over completely harder than I thought, despite certain obvious advantages. Anyone else gone through this experience, or am I just odd?
I may be misunderstanding you, but I certainly don't think your reaction is odd. When the Win95 interface was released, I HATED it, after I had spent so much time learning how to make Win3.1 do its thing. In time I got used to it.

Then, when the WinXP interface was released, I just rebelled. (Stupid f'ing bubbles!) I figured out how to make WinXP have the look and feel of Win95, and kept at it.

There is also the situation (if you are like me) that your old computer had everything installed on it that you liked (including all those useful bits of shareware and freeware and the programs whose master CDs never quite survived your last move) and now you have to go through the pain and suffering of setting up the new PC. Then, I found a utility that would just mirror my old set-up on my new PC, sot hat became much less painful.

What, exactly, has changed that you don't like about the new machine? There may be something that can be done to make the transition less painful.

#32016 - 08/21/06 10:58 AM Re: Buying Computers and Their Bits
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Thanks to an accident involving a glass of wine, my idiot cat, and my beloved laptop, I am now computer-less. I have the DTs. Seriously. I have a tablet-PC for work (which I'm allowed to bring home), and LaSalleUBoy has a computer, but at some point I'm going to need to get a replacement. Sigh. I really liked the flexibility of having a laptop, but I don't think I can afford a new one. I might have to go back to having a desktop.

I realized I don't really have a question. I just needed to mourn my poor, pretty, wine-drenched Dell.

#32017 - 08/23/06 12:41 PM Re: Buying Computers and Their Bits
Sarahndipity
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Now that I am gainfully employed, Husband and I are looking to buy a new desktop computer to replace this poor ancient Dell that I got in 2000.

At the current time, we use it mainly for internet access. I use Microsoft Money for our finances. (I'm not married to that program, but it came with this computer and I am comfortable with it now.) I also do some web design, basically as a hobby. I designed and maintain a website for my mother, who is a writer. I use Dreamweaver for that. Naturally I also need typical office and word processing functions. I'm planning to go to graduate school for library science next fall, and will need the computer for that as well.

We'd prefer not to have to buy a new computer for another five years or so again. We're not techies or gamers, function is our priority.

So my question is--What do we need? How much memory should we be looking for, what kind of processor, etc? We could use a new monitor, but our printer is fine. And of course, we want to get as much as we can for as little money as possible. Thanks for any advice.

#32018 - 08/24/06 09:35 AM Re: Buying Computers and Their Bits
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

Hi Sarahndipity. Here's what Professor Frink (my husband) suggests:

Quote:
Set a budget and squash a computer into it. The computer will last as long as they don't put any new software on it. As soon as they do, it'll appear slower in their eyes.

If they want it to last for five years (probably an unnecessarily long lifespan, given the declining costs), they should get about 2 Gb of RAM (or 1 Gb and ensure they have the capability to upgrade in a year or two), and about 500 Gb of storage (at least 200 Gb to start with a dual-layer DVD burner to offload those movies and aim for future upgrading). Processor should be dual-core. A bazillion USB 2.0 ports. For convenience, make sure there's some on the front, as well as microphone & speaker ports on the front. If they ever want to upgrade its guts, avoid integrated components. (It'll cost more up front to do so.)

Having said all, this, just buy another cheap Dell and replace it in two years. It'll cost less, they'll have the latest technology, and they'll be so much happier than they think right now.
Hope that helps!

#32019 - 08/25/06 08:16 PM Re: Buying Computers and Their Bits
ken_m
Ching Shih

To add to Professor Frink's advice, I notice that you mention you are hoping to re-use your old printer. That may be a problem. Some new boxes ship with USB only, and your old printer (this is an assumption based on age) may not have one.

Whether this should affect your choice of computer or spur you to buy a new printer is, of course, up to you.

#32020 - 08/26/06 11:52 AM Re: Buying Computers and Their Bits
capsizing
Gráinne ni Mhaille

You can also purchase an adaptor to connect a non-USB printer to a USB port.
#32021 - 02/20/07 10:21 PM Re: Buying Computers and Their Bits
nanamik
Ching Shih

Bumping this thread to ask for advice about labtops. I want to buy a new labtop for 1000 dollars, I need something very basic. I kinda want to get a imac because they look cool but do I really need it or will I be satisfied with something cheaper?
#32022 - 02/21/07 09:17 AM Re: Buying Computers and Their Bits
Pflaume
Ching Shih

Where are you? Our IT guy suggests MDG Canada. In fact, I'm going at lunch to buy a laptop from them, with all the bells and whistles and a 19" screen, for about $1399. But they start at around $699 for a basic system.

Unless you're already a Mac person, I'd suggest you think hard before switching. Personally, I couldn't live without the right mouse button, and Macs don't have them.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  miercoles, voiceofreason 
Hop to: