#32096 - 09/21/05 03:31 PM Re: Science under attack
Vertiginous Annie
Ching Shih

Err - I meant MORTAL. Not moral. Oops.
#32097 - 11/09/05 09:35 AM Re: Science under attack
miercoles Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

I guess I didn't think they'd be brazen enough to do it, but the state of Kansas has outright redefined science so that it's not limited to natural explanations. I'm shocked at that arrogance, and while I know they're only aiming this at evolution, I wonder how many people think that things like friction and gravity are just "magic".

Quote:
I think my schools may have been rare gems.
Vertiginous Annie, as far as Catholic schools go, I think your experience is fairly typical. This is based on an informal polling of friends who went to Catholic school, and the Catholic Church's general acceptance of evolution as a scientific theory . What I've always appreciated about the Catholic Church's position is that while they assert that God was involved at some point, they admit that is outside the realm of science.

#32098 - 11/09/05 10:43 AM Re: Science under attack
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

In promising news, the voters of Dover, Pennsylvania have thrown the school board that backed intelligent design out on their ears.
#32099 - 11/09/05 12:13 PM Re: Science under attack
Catness
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

All I've got to say to that is: Heeeeeee! There's some natural selection in action, eh?
#32100 - 11/09/05 12:22 PM Re: Science under attack
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
I was taught evolution in high school - and I went to a Catholic all-girl hs. But it probably was not a typical school.
I think it is typical - for all its many, many faults, the Church is pretty sensible on all that sort of thing these days. I grew up Catholic (I am now very, very lapsed) in a 90% Catholic country and went to Catholic primary and secondary schools, and not once, ever, did I hear anyone suggest that evolution was anything but scientific fact. The accepted idea was that Genesis is just an allegory, not literal truth. As miercoles says, the Church basically believes that God created the universe, wound it up, and just let it go. So even when I was a kid I - along with lots of Americans, I know - would have found it baffling that evolution is in any way controversial.

#32101 - 11/09/05 03:34 PM Re: Science under attack
Vertiginous Annie
Ching Shih

On anaother board, I was finding out that my experience was not rare at all. Refreshing.

I think perhpas I've just been exposed to a lot more fundamentalism lately than in years prior - and I was starting to worry about religion in general.

#32102 - 11/09/05 10:28 PM Re: Science under attack
voiceofreason Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Brookline, MA, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by TraceyB:
In promising news, the voters of Dover, Pennsylvania have thrown the school board that backed intelligent design out on their ears.
Praise the Flying Spaghetti Monster! Almost restores my faith in democracy, that does.

#32103 - 11/10/05 02:07 PM Re: Science under attack
Mistral
Ching Shih

Whew! That makes me feel a *little* better about my state.
#32104 - 11/11/05 01:29 PM Re: Science under attack
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

This morning's Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Pat Robertson is arguing that Dover, PA residents deserve to be snubbed by God . What does that mean exactly? I think we should petition the Flying Spaghetti Monster to get some bolts of lightning (or giant meatballs?) ready to hurl at Rev. Robertson...
#32105 - 12/06/05 09:10 AM Re: Science under attack
miercoles Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

The NY Times has an interview with Michael Rose about evolutionary biology. Among other things, he notes how dangerous it is that Bush doesn't use the word 'evolve' when talking about the bird flu pandemic. Bush uses the word 'develop', but the technical term for what the virus might do is 'evolve'. Has no one pointed out to Bush, or to the creationists, that a virus "developing" is actually evolution in action? Or do they deny that it's evolution? I'm really curious as to how they rationalize this.

I'm wondering how this denial of evolution will affect any public education efforts if we do end up with a bird flu epidemic. Will people keep arguing against evolution if it's happening under their noses?

Page 6 of 6 « First<23456

Moderator:  miercoles, voiceofreason 
Hop to: