Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#33091 - 12/05/02 02:37 PM Re: Going to San Francisco
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

Masha, I pass through Brisbane every day on my commute--I had no idea that carnitas lurked there! Please give directions.

La Taqueria is definitely good (it's on Mission between 24th and 25th, east side of the street). El Farolito is more of a dive but has great tacos al pastor (their vegetarian tacos are also yummy).

If you're in Chinatown and need lunch, go not for Chinese food but for Vietnamese: the #40 with pork at Golden Flower on Jackson is the best lunch ever. (It's a rice noodle salad with imperial rolls and grilled meat. Yum, yum, yum. They also have good pho.)

In Berkeley, it's definitely fun to wander around campus and around Telegraph. Gourmet Ghetto in north Berkeley (near Chez Panisse) is fun too. College Ave. and Rockridge have good shopping, as do the Fourth Street shops in west Berkeley. There's lots of good food in the area--I can post East Bay recommendations if you like. if you like to swim, bring your suit and see if your friend can get you into the Julia Morgan-built pool at Cal. Since you mentioned the Berkeley libraries, definitely go hang out in the big reading room--lovely. If you have a car, you might want to drive up into the Berkeley hills, if it's clear, for the gorgeous views over the bay.

I posted a ton of SF recommendations in the other thread, which are still valid. I'll bump it up.

Oh, also, Mitchell's is great ice cream (locally made) and they have cool flavors, but you don't necessarily have to go to the shop (you'll get the best selection of flavors there, though)--lots of local places sell it.

#33092 - 12/07/02 01:22 AM Re: Going to San Francisco
evebackwards
Ching Shih

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I think I'll print this page off and take it with me.
I was thinking of avoiding Fisherman's Wharf altogether, but there are sea lions, aren't there? They're the big reason I want to go, despite the warning that it'll be Wharfneyland.
If I plan to be walking around, should I invest in a raincoat?
How safe are SF and Berkeley? I'm petite and female, can I walk around alone at night?
No one I'm staying with has a car. Is there any way to get to the Berkeley hills without one?
all this incriminating evidence
would surely haunt me
if someone broke into my house.

#33093 - 12/09/02 12:27 PM Re: Going to San Francisco
Masha
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Wow, cat, even when I was living in Brisbane, it seemed like most Bay Area natives had never even noticed it. They must have their stars up by now; pretty, isn't it?

Ok, so for Brisbane carnitas, you turn toward the mountain off of Bayshore at the strip-mall-looking thing (there's a Subway there and a bank, among other things) stoplight. Then you follow the road up the hill, past the first stop sign, and there's a taco shop on the left. I don't remember the name of the shop, but the owner's name is Moises and he's quite nice.

I'd suggest other Brisbane attractions, but that's about all there is.

#33094 - 12/09/02 03:27 PM Re: Going to San Francisco
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Quote:
If I plan to be walking around, should I invest in a raincoat?
How safe are SF and Berkeley? I'm petite and female, can I walk around alone at night?
eve--definitely bring some rain gear! It's raining in this part of the planet at this very moment. The rains have indeed begun.
As far as walking around alone goes, I think it depends on the neighborhood, like most cities. When I lived in the Market St./ Mission area, I felt perfectly safe, but I think that's because it was my neighborhood. Some women would not have walked home after work at 2 in the morning alone like I did. I think if you stay aware of your surroundings, stick to well-lit areas, and mind your safety, walk with purpose, you'll be fine walking by yourself. Taxis are very easy to come by in SF and Berkeley too. You can always take a cab, if it's very late at night.
I second all of cat's Berkeley suggestions and add one more neighborhood in SF--Potrero Hill is a fun place to walk around as far as food goes. I'm assuming SF Barbeque is still there? And the lovely fantastic Klein's Deli? Great sandwiches!

#33095 - 12/09/02 04:47 PM Re: Going to San Francisco
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

After my evening last night, I will add some Berkeley suggestions: First, eat at Breads of India (on Sacramento at Dwight). No reservations, tiny, bright, cash-only, best naan ever, delicious regional specialties and breads with an ever-changing menu. Highly recommended.

Also, I went to a great pub in Berkeley last night, the Albatross. Tons of games (I went with my brother for their trivia night--we led after three rounds but were killed on the music round and came in fifth), and friendly with good drinks and so on. It's on San Pablo a block and a half north of University. It seemed like a great place to hang out.

Edited to add: thanks, Masha! I think I should have said that I drive by Brisbane exit on the freeway--I didn't mean to imply that I pass through in a way that enables me to notice parts of the town. But I will seek out the carnitas some day soon. Anything for pork fried in its own fat, you know.

#33096 - 12/10/02 01:26 AM Re: Going to San Francisco
candydarling
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Quote:
Originally posted by evebackwards:
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I think I'll print this page off and take it with me.
I was thinking of avoiding Fisherman's Wharf altogether, but there are sea lions, aren't there?
Yeah, there are sea lions...but I don't know, I don't find it very fun myself. Actually, that area is funny because so few people who are there actually live in San Francisco. But I guess every city has touristy areas,
 Quote:

Me too, and whenever I take the bus late at night in the Mission, I get bothered by people. I still feel relatively comfortable in that area because it is my neighborhood, but it is not the safest place in the world. My parents get upset when I take the bus home late at night, but I think if you stick to well-lit places and stuff, it'll probably be okay.

#33097 - 12/15/02 02:05 PM Re: Going to San Francisco
LauraT
Ching Shih

Loc: Redwood City, CA, USA

Definitely go to City Lights - it's one of my favorite bookstores ever. And historic too. North Beach is a great area with lots of good restaurants.

Has anyone mentioned Coit Tower? It's touristy, but if you go up to the top you can get a great view of the city.

If you're going to go to Pier 39, keep on walking down toward the Marina and Fort Mason, and you can see some good views.

#33098 - 05/11/03 12:01 AM Re: Going to San Francisco
Page
Ching Shih

Loc: Seattle, WA

I went to SF with my sister last year-it was disgustingly fun, but I have to say that I found City Lights bookstore a little meh...

I did love North Beach, however. My favorite place was probably the MOMA, and the adjacent Yerba Buena park...mmm...art and sunshine!

I'm planning another trip this August, in celebration of my birthday, and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for "SF on the cheap".

#33099 - 06/30/03 03:04 PM Re: Going to San Francisco
slgorman
Ching Shih

Loc: Morgan Hill, CA, USA

If it's not foggy, check out the great view from the peaceful UCSF Library . Enter off Parnassus, walk straight back past the reference section and pick out a comfy leather chair and enjoy. On a clear day you can see Golden Gate Park, the spires of the GG Bridge, the Marin Headlands, and if you look to the right downtown. It's free (unless you have to park) and near a MUNI stop (N-Judah line, exit at UCSF and follow the crowd up the elevators).
#33100 - 07/11/03 04:38 PM Re: Going to San Francisco
rockfox
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: San Francisco

A few tips for SF on the cheap:

Check out the Stern Grove Festival ,with free performances almost every weekend in the summer. If you go, dress warmly, it gets pretty foggy in that part of town.

You can get free and fun walking tours of San Francisco neighborhoods nearly every day through San Francisco City Guides .

Admission to the fantastic new Asian Art Museum is free the first Tuesday of every month.

Walks through Golden Gate Park and across the Golden Gate Bridge are amazing and are always free.

Also, you should check out the Guardian’s Best of the Bay , the Weekly’s Best of San Francisco , and the Chron’s Visitors Guide .

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Hop to: