Page 18 of 20 « First<1617181920>
Topic Options
#83789 - 07/18/07 10:22 PM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read? [Re: miercoles]
Sarah Kathryn
Ching Shih

Loc: Suburban Maryland

miercoles, if you want to combine John Steinbeck with road-tripping, I'd recommend his memoir, Travels with Charley. He drives US highways from the East Coast to the West Coast and back with just his dog and, especially when he gets to California, writes brilliant prose about the scenery and comments thoughtfully about how much things have changed since the horse-and-buggy days of his childhood. I don't usually enjoy his writing, but as far as I'm concerned, he's at his most likeable and interesting here.

(And Essay, thanks! I've got one week until I leave, and I'm still really excited, to the point where I get annoyed at how my job takes up valuable time that could be spent reading up on where I'm going...)

#83815 - 07/19/07 10:15 PM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read? [Re: Sarah Kathryn]
miercoles
Ching Shih

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Ooh, thanks Sarah Kathryn -- we'll have our dog with us, so that's perfect.
#84565 - 10/08/07 05:37 PM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read? [Re: miercoles]
viva
Ching Shih

Loc: Houston TX

Here's one: Kenya and Tanzania. In January - yay!

Any recommendations?

#84583 - 10/11/07 02:30 AM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read? [Re: viva]
finedarkchocolate
Ching Shih

Loc: Scotland

morocco in march - whadya say?
#84659 - 10/20/07 11:06 PM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read? [Re: miercoles]
kandiam
Ching Shih

Miercoles, I hope you have a very easy move, and a wonderful trip west. You can't go wrong with Steinbeck for western imagery, and don't hesitate to dip into vintage Joan Didion (Play It As It Lays). It's hard not to recommend a bit of Raymond Chandler and Dasiell Hammett for noir mood and Sandra Tsing Loh for satire. Kevin Starr's history of California is the best around; the State Librarian of California, he's written a sprawling 5-volume series, but also a condensed version just out this year. I'd also highly recommend Marc Reisner's Cadillac Desert, that frames water politics around California's history (and is gloriously readable).

Welcome to California!

#84665 - 10/21/07 11:41 PM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read? [Re: kandiam]
kandiam
Ching Shih

I'm heading to South Australia and the North Island of New Zealand. What should I read? (Many thanks in advance!) Without other advice I'll be browsing Mary Martin Bookshop on Rundle St in Adelaide...a find if ever there was one.
#84814 - 11/07/07 11:21 AM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read? [Re: kandiam]
library hooligan
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Australia

kandiam, have you read The Bone People by Keri Hulme? It's set in New Zealand, and although it's heartbreaking in places, her descriptions of New Zealand are gorgeous to read.
#84850 - 11/12/07 09:46 PM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read? [Re: library hooligan]
turtlegirl

Loc: new york city

I'm travelling to Berlin this week. Any quick ideas. I know about movies "wings of Desire," etc, but so much about literature.
#84852 - 11/12/07 11:05 PM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read? [Re: turtlegirl]
kandiam
Ching Shih

Thanks millions, hooligan! The Bone People has been mouldering on a back shelf for ages...I'd even (gasp) forgotten about it. Thanks for the nudge.
#84853 - 11/13/07 12:36 AM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read? [Re: kandiam]
Crescent Moon
Ching Shih

Loc: Australia

Kandiam: Just off the top of my head: Famous Australian authors include Bryce Courtenay (Of The Power of One fame, although most of his other books are set in Australia), Tim Winton, Peter Carey (Oscar and Lucinda etc) and Miles Franklin (My Brilliant Career). Maybe these are all a bit too obvious??

I have a YA book somewhere that is set in a NZ farming community. I can dig it up if you want. I also have lots of random university press YA books that are set in various parts of Australia.

Page 18 of 20 « First<1617181920>

Hop to: