Page 3 of 20 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#33524 - 02/11/04 06:27 PM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
Betula
Ching Shih

Loc: Arlington, VA

Stephsdad, Edward Abbey wrote a wonderful essay about rafting down the Colorado through Glen Canyon before the dam (but with the knowledge of its coming). I think it's included in Down the River and possibly also in The Serpents of Paradise. And there's always Powell's account of his exploration of the Grand Canyon.

Both states have excellent rock exposures - I never travel in the west without the appropriate Roadside Geology of ... book. Funny, I grew up in Arizona, but I can only think of natural history-ish books.

New Mexico: Rudolfo Anaya's books really have the right "feel" to me. I enjoyed Bless Me, Ultima (coming of age story set in the 40's) and raced through the Sonny Baca books, i.e. Zia Summer. I think the Baca books will remind you of Hillerman, although with somewhat weaker plots and writing. And The Milagro Bean Field War by John Nichols is terrific in its depiction of culture and class battles over land/water rights.

(Just a quick edit 'cause there was only one War, according to the title)

#33525 - 02/17/04 11:12 AM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephsdad:
Going to Northern Arizona and New Mexico in April. Have read all the Hillerman books and love them. Any recommended travelogues or fiction that captures the area.
While searching for something completely unrelated, I came across this list of what this site calls Native American mysteries that I thought might be useful.

#33526 - 02/19/04 07:39 PM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
kittythedog
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Austin, TX

For New Mexico, I recommend Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather.

For Italy, a cute one is The Secret of Santa Vittoria by Robert Crichton. I second the nomination of the Ferenc Mate book, it is less sweet than Frannie.

Kwe-- if you go to Amazon and search "California missions" there are several results that look useful.

I am going to Monterey Bay in March and Hawaii in December. I am mostly interested in nature stuff, but I am also interested in some fiction. I am going to try to get through Cannery Row for the first time since seventh grade. Any other suggestions?

#33527 - 02/19/04 08:02 PM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
Platinum
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, IE

Quote:
Originally posted by Kwe:
In May I'll be travelling to Denver, San Fran and Las Vegas. Any reading suggestions?
The Tales of the City books. Oldies, but goodies.

#33528 - 02/25/04 12:38 PM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
kinder
Ching Shih

Loc: Kinderhook, NY

For light SF/Bay area reading try Dianne Day's detective series. The books take place during the pre and post SF earthquake era in 1906(?).
The first in the series is The Strange Files of Fremont Jones. Another title is Emperor Norton's Ghost. There is even a title set the in Monterey Bay area- The Bohemian Murders.

For a more contemporary slant, try Marcia Muller's msyteries featuring Sharon McCone. I prefer the older ones.

I lived in the Bay Area for 10 years and can highly recommend it as a place to visit- short term or long term.

#33529 - 02/26/04 09:43 AM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
xenopi
Ching Shih

Loc: Paradise City

Quote:
Any suggestions for Germany (especially Dresden)?
Slaughterhouse Five.

#33530 - 02/26/04 10:36 AM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

Quote:
Originally posted by Kwe:
In May I'll be travelling to Denver, San Fran and Las Vegas. Any reading suggestions?
Is there a guide book about the various Missions?
I don't know about what to read about Denver, but I can tell you where to go if you run out of reading material while you're there: the Tattered Cover. On a business trip with a fair amount of downtime, I was staying a block from the one in Lower Downtown (in a great hotel--the Luna), and I had a great time browsing.

#33531 - 05/22/04 10:09 PM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
setara
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta/Canada

My husband and I are heading to Europe this summer and taking the kids along (ages 13, 11 and 6). We are renting a car and doing a loop starting at Frankfurt, then going to Strasburg and Colmar in France, from there to Zurich, and finally Northern Italy, Florence and Venice.

I will be thankful for any suggestions of books, in special anything for the kids and books on Venice for myself, either fiction or non-fiction.

#33532 - 05/23/04 02:48 PM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

setara, since you'll be going through Switzerland, it might be fun for the kids to read some of the Heidi books. Though I remember going through Switzerland and expecting goatherds and small girls and mountain huts at every turn, which was disappointing.

On Venice, you might look for an abridged version of Ruskin's The Stones of Venice on the architecture. It's wonderful but long-winded Victorian art theory (beautifully written, though), hence the wide availability of abridgements.

In Florence, you should certainly go to Vivoli for the gelato. It is wonderful. It's just steps from Santa Croce, so you can get your scoops and go sit in the big piazza--heaven. Also, a good casual, bustling, friendly trattoria that I think kids would like is I Latini.

#33533 - 07/04/04 12:07 AM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
strwbrygal
Ching Shih

We'll be heading to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and San Diego in mid-July... suggestions? I've never been to the western US, so I'm pretty excited! Thanks in advance. \:\)
Page 3 of 20 <12345>Last »

Hop to: