Page 4 of 20 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#33534 - 07/04/04 10:42 PM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
calrunner
Ching Shih

Loc: San Diego, CA

strwbrygal-

I could make some suggestions for Los Angeles and San Diego. It would help immensely to know what you like to do - are you a beach person, museum junkie, star gazer (Hollywood, Beverly Hills), theme park wizard. . .

If you could give me a bit more information, I'm sure I could be of assistance. Best wishes on your trip!

#33535 - 07/05/04 12:31 PM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
Doppelganger
Ching Shih

Loc: Vancouver, BC

If you're looking for fiction, maybe Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? It'd be interesting to compare Thompson's drug-skewed portrayal of Vegas in the early '70s with Vegas today. And, though the second half slows down and loses focus a bit, it's still an entertaining book.
#33536 - 07/06/04 10:33 AM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
Reni
Ching Shih

Cadillac Desert, by Marc Reisner - all about water infrastructure in the west - very interesting.

Really, it is.

#33537 - 07/06/04 10:43 AM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

I second Reni's suggestion. What a great book.

Also on L.A., try Mike Davis's City of Quartz.

#33538 - 07/06/04 09:24 PM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
strwbrygal
Ching Shih

Thanks for all of the recommendations! I've already consumed Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - definitely a good suggestion-- thanks!
When I travel, I tend to enjoy either fiction or nonfiction that pertains to the history of a place, or to an historical moment. However, all of the topics that you mentioned sound interesting to me (beach person, museum junkie, etc) with the exception of "theme park wizard." I'll read (or at least make a valiant effort) to read just about anything. ;\)

#33539 - 07/07/04 09:57 AM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
gurpgrrl
Ching Shih

Loc: Knoxville, TN

I hope to make it to Sapporo, Japan in the fall to visit my sister. What should I read? I would enjoy history books, pop-culture info, travel guides, literature set in Japan, or genre novels set in Japan. I guess I also need a simple introduction to the language. Thanks!
#33540 - 07/07/04 06:02 PM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
naomism
Ching Shih

Loc: Iraq

The Rei Shimura series by Sujata Massey would probably be a good start since the books are about a Japanese-American. They're mysteries but I like them more for all the pop culture references about life in Japan, especially if you're an American.

For literature and history, The Izu Dancer by Yasunari Kawabata, I Am [a] Cat, by Natsume Soseki (funny though kind of long), and The Tale of Genji by Murasaki (also long and unfinished), are all good. Liz Dalby's Tale of Murasaki is also excellent.

#33541 - 07/08/04 09:51 AM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
gurpgrrl
Ching Shih

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Thanks for the suggestions, naomism! I will look for these at work today. I'm especially excited about the mystery series you mentioned; that's EXACTLY what I want. I once read all of Edna Buchanan's crime thrillers before a trip to Miami, and I felt like I really understood the different areas of the city because of her books.
#33542 - 07/11/04 11:37 PM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
ainsley
Ching Shih

Loc: north carolina

I'm heading to Boston and that general area in late October/early November. What should I read? History, literature, whatever, I want to know more about eastern Massachusetts!
#33543 - 07/12/04 07:27 AM Re: I'm travelling to ______. What should I read?
betso26
Ching Shih

Loc: Vermont

Ainsley, go classic and read or reread Henry David Thoreau, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Louisa May Alcott and Nathaniel Hawthorne then go to all their houses and the historic sites and museums in Concord - don't forget the Sleepy Hollow Cemetary and Walden Pond. I would think for late October it would be a really neat time to check it out - it's a really fun and engaging trip and not far at all from Boston. Check out this brief description
Page 4 of 20 « First<23456>Last »

Hop to: