Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#34380 - 09/20/04 06:00 AM Re: Book sales and fairs
Promethea
Ching Shih

I don't get it - what's the advantage over a library, assuming that you're not housebound with illness? I'm probably missing something.
#34381 - 09/20/04 06:19 AM Re: Book sales and fairs
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

Well, as I understand it, you can keep things as long as you want, and buy them if you decide to; neither is an option with libraries. But I haven't looked into it very much; maybe Frannie Glass can elaborate a bit more.
#34382 - 09/20/04 01:22 PM Re: Book sales and fairs
Frannie Glass
Ching Shih

Loc: San Diego

Deborah, you're exactly right.
You put books on your wishlist, then they mail you up to 6 at a time (depending on your payment level). Included with the books are pre-paid envelopes so you can return the books. Then you get to keep them for as long as you want.
As soon as you return a book (or 2, or 6 ) \:\) , they send you that many off of your list. If you manage it right (which I never do), you can have a constant cycle of books coming in and out.

The turn around time for mailing back a book and getting a new one is about 2 weeks, so having 6 in rotation would probably work best for all you book devourers. =) I generally end up sending all my books back at once, which really isn't the ideal way to do it, but it works, and it's kind of fun to get a stack full of books in the mail.

The real upside for me over a library is that there are no late fees. It doesn't matter when I remember to send them back, I just don't get more books until I do. That's also nice if I'm just not in the mood to read one of the books yet- there's no pressure to read it and no need to renew it.

I still use my library regularly, but I find myself putting books on my list at booksfree that I wouldn't necessarily pick up at the library. I have no idea why that is.

The other plus that Deborah mentioned is that you do have the option to purchase the books if you fall in love with them. (Or if they fall in your bathtub. That was sad.) Because all of the books are paperbacks and most are used, the cost for the books is very low. Most of the books are in great condition, so the fact that they're used isn't really a deterent to buying them.

As I posted previously, there are some slight downsides, in that their selection is somewhat limited, and since they only deal in paperbacks they don't have any newly released hardcovers. However, if they're not your only source for books and you're a rabid collector of late fees, they're a great supplement. (I fully realize that the amount I'm paying to them for the service is probably equivalent to the amount I'd be paying in late fees, but part of me just wants to support this great idea!)

Wow, that was long. I hope it made sense, my brain isn't completely awake yet. If anyone has any questions about things I didn't mention, feel free to ask! =)

#34383 - 09/21/04 12:14 PM Re: Book sales and fairs
StephA Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The Trinity College 29th Annual Friends of the Library Book Sale will be held from October 22nd until October 26th, 2004, in Seeley Hall at the University of Toronto.

Friday, October 22, 6 pm - 10 pm ($4 admission)Saturday, October 23, 10 am - 8 pm
Sunday, October 24, Noon - 8 pm
Monday & Tuesday, October 25-26, 10 am - 8 pm.

No admission charge after opening night.

Credit (VISA, MC, AMEX) and debit cards and personal cheques (with adequate identification) are accepted.

http://www.trinity.utoronto.ca/Library/booksale.htm

#34384 - 09/21/04 12:31 PM Re: Book sales and fairs
blithe spirit
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario

And before that is the Victoria College Booksale:
Alumni Hall and the Chapel, Old Vic
91 Charles Street West
Toronto
Subway stop: Museum

Starts Thursday, September 30 (5 pm - 10 pm)
$3 admission charge first day only, Students free with ID
Continues Friday (10-8), Saturday (10-6), Sunday (11-5), Monday (10-9)

I've found some great finds at both the Vic and Trinity sales!

#34385 - 09/29/04 10:11 AM Re: Book sales and fairs
Impudent Dandelion
Ching Shih

Loc: Canada

If you happen to be in the Ottawa area, the Friends of Library and Archives Canada Used Book Sale is taking place at the Carlingwood Shopping Centre (on Carling Avenue near Woodroffe) from Friday, October 1 to Sunday, October 3.
#34386 - 10/07/04 01:56 PM Re: Book sales and fairs
lex
Ching Shih

Loc: mostly Canada

The Vancouver Public library will be having a huge sale from Oct. 21-22.

Here's the info:

at 350 West Georgia Alice MacKay Room.
October 21 10am-9pm
October 22 10am- 6pm
October 23 10am-6pm
October 24 1pm-5pm

Thousands of books on sale to the public

New selections everyday

Cash and carry.

Please bring your own bags.

#34387 - 10/12/04 01:52 PM Re: Book sales and fairs
StephA Moderator
Ching Shih

*bump*
#34388 - 10/13/04 11:43 AM Re: Book sales and fairs
Therese from Clinton Twp
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Metro Detroit

Good afternoon, all,
I will be heading to a very good used book sale at the Clinton-Macomb Public Library, Main Branch, in Clinton Twp, Michigan, Thursday evening. It starts at 12 p.m. and runs to 8 p.m., on Thursday. I believe it runs until 5 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. Here is the website for it: http://www.cmpl.org/Events/Default.asp

If you can come on Thursday evening, look for a 40-ish, petite redhead accompanied by a short, 50-ish gentleman with curly gray hair. We will be there from around 5 to 7 p.m. Have fun! I know I will!

#34389 - 01/31/05 12:23 PM Re: Book sales and fairs
StephA Moderator
Ching Shih

Contact Editions in Toronto is moving, and is having a huge sale! When I was there on Saturday, it was 75% off for used stock, and 50% off for new.

They're on Mount Pleasant, just south of Eglinton.

Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  StephA 
Hop to: