Topic Options
#34390 - 03/10/05 02:20 PM Re: Book sales and fairs
StephA Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Brooklyn, NY ­
SEEKING PARTICIPANTS (AND SPONSORS) FOR THE FOURTH
ANNUAL BROOKLYN ALTERNATIVE SMALL PRESS FAIR

The Fourth Annual Brooklyn Alternative Small Press Fair is scheduled for Sunday, June 5, 2005, noon to 6 p.m., and will take place at Camp
Friendship, located at 339 Eighth Street near Sixth Avenue in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

They are currently recruiting participants and sponsors for next year’s event. The participant fee is $10. Potential participants need not
be based in Brooklyn; it is open to any small press or author able to attend. The deadline for participant applications and fees is April 1, 2005.

The Brooklyn Alternative Small Press Fair was begun in 2002, and has been expanding steadily since then. It is a six-hour event where local small publishers exhibit their publications and information about their organizations, and authors perform live readings throughout the course of the event. The goals of the Brooklyn Alternative Small Press Fair are to provide a marketplace for local small presses, poets and writers who have created distinctive publications, recordings and electronic presentations; to increase public awareness of the high quality and diversity of contemporary small press publishing and self-publishing, and to provide an opportunity for networking with the public as well as within the local literary community. Live performances throughout the day are an integral part of the event because this draws a different level of attention from the public attending the event - a live performance can be far more engaging than a static display of publications. The public is invited to sample a diverse selection of small press publications from local small presses, chapbooks made by writers, and poets, as well as examples of
electronic publishing, spoken word CD recordings, literary crafts, and much more.

Ph/Fax: 718-832-2310

#34391 - 04/04/05 01:48 PM Re: Book sales and fairs
StephA Moderator
Ching Shih

There is a HUGE book sale in Philadelphia the weekend of April 29th-May 1st at Logan Square Circle. It's run by the Free Library of Philadelphia's Friends of the Free Library.

Friday, April 29 from 3pm to 6pm.
Saturday April 30th and Sunday May 1st from 10am to 6pm.

You can visit http://www.centercityphila.org for more info.

#34392 - 04/04/05 04:04 PM Re: Book sales and fairs
polly#2
Ching Shih

Loc: Ireland

The exceedingly eclectic and sometimes surprisingly good Trinity College Dublin annual book sale is on, in the Exam Hall, from 17.30 Thursday 7th April to Saturday 9th.
#34393 - 05/13/05 07:40 AM Re: Book sales and fairs
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

The Central branch of the Mississauga Public Library (Ontario) always has books for sale, and they're not just old library books. The MPL gets loads of donated books, and I have a tip from an insider that they get pretty good donations. I went and checked it out last week and it's not bad. The good: not too picked over, reasonably well-organized, very fair prices, many a steal. The bad: The stands are scattered all through the library, with only one centralized section on the second floor, so you have to check all over the place. Apparently they tend to put the better books on the stands just outside the entrace.

The MPL also has "themed" sales planned, for which they cull and hoard. Here are the next few sales:

Saturday, May 14: Textbooks

Saturday, May 21: Computer Books

Saturday, May 28: Business Books

Saturday, June 4: Art books

Saturday, June 11: Cookbooks

There's free parking in the parking garage underneath the library. (Warning: the parking garage is very poorly signed inside. Good luck finding the area closest to the library.)

#34394 - 05/16/05 10:48 AM Re: Book sales and fairs
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

It probably would have been helpful if I'd stated in my previous post that all Saturday MPL sales start at 9 a.m.
#34395 - 05/16/05 03:27 PM Re: Book sales and fairs
Sureshot26
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago

Chicago's annual Printer's Row Book Fair is gearing up for its next installment on June 11-12. The fair blocks off Dearborn Ave. between Polk and Congress and Polk between State and Clark; it's easily accessible via public transit but there's little parking nearby.

Vendors for the fair include independent bookstores from Chicago and beyond, used bookstores, antiquarian bookstores, and the big national chains. Many author events and fun activities for kids are planned. The fair is also great if you're into collecting signed books. I went last year and had a fantastic time - definitely worth a stop if you're in the area.

More info can be had at the official web site, including a list of all the authors that are scheduled to appear:

Printer\'s Row Book Fair

#34396 - 05/17/05 08:29 AM Re: Book sales and fairs
goovie
Ching Shih

Loc: chicago, il

I love the Printer's Row Book Fair. My wallet, however, does not.
#34397 - 05/17/05 08:38 AM Re: Book sales and fairs
Sureshot26
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago

You know what else doesn't love the Printer's Row Book Fair? My arms, when I forget to bring a backpack to tote my goodies. I about dislocated both elbows last year.
#34398 - 06/08/05 08:40 AM Re: Book sales and fairs
StephA Moderator
Ching Shih

In Toronto: the annual Oxford University Press book sale.

Thursday, June 23, 2005, from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., in the warehouse at the rear of 70 Wynford Drive. Closest major intersection is Don Mills/Eglinton. Limited parking available ONLY at The Japanese Centre, located at 6 Garamond Court.

Paperbacks are $2.00, hardcovers $4.00. Cash only. Exact change and small bills appreciated. Proceeds go to World Literacy of Canada.

#34399 - 06/08/05 04:11 PM Re: Book sales and fairs
harper
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

I can't wait for my first Printers Row Book Fair. I will be there on Saturday in my chicklit t-shirt and with a big bag for books!
Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  StephA 
Hop to: