Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#34916 - 07/08/04 09:44 AM Fundraisers and other charitable events
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

I came here to post about the Toronto Rape Crisis Centre's upcoming yard sale, and realized we could probably use a topic for such events that aren't specifically book-related. Feel free to post about fundraisers and charitable events (anywhere in the world) that are of likely interest to readers of this board. If the thread gets busy enough, we'll subdivide it geographically.

Anyway: The notice I just got in the mail says the Toronto Rape Crisis Centre is having a yard sale on Saturday, July 14, 2004, from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. No location is given but you can call Cynamin at 416.597.1171, ext. 234, for details. They are looking for donations of items for the sale, which obviously could include books.

#34917 - 07/27/04 01:56 PM Re: Fundraisers and other charitable events
StephA Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Many of you will have heard about the crazy rain and flooding in Peterborough a couple of weeks ago.

From the Ontario Library Association's Web site:

Quote:
The Peterborough Public Library and post office were among the public buildings considered to be hardest hit. Special collections of historical documents, periodicals and magazines know as the Peterborough Collection were severely damaged by the flood waters.

In a Canadian Press story, Chief Librarian Becky Rogers was quoted as saying that "the wave swept through the building's lower level taking with it the Peterborough Collection, other books, computers, files, desks and chairs." The Peterborough Collection is largely irreplaceable.

To help Peterborough Public Library rebound from the damage of the floods last Thursday, an OLA Special Fund has been set up to take donations to help this hard-hit institution. A donation receipt will be issued by OLA for income tax purposes. The Library receives all funds collected but without the administration necessary to collect the money and issue receipts.

Chief Librarian Becky Rogers has asked OLA to thank all who have phoned and sent messages. Although she obviously appreciates everyone's concern, she needs everyone to hold their messages while the serious estimates of damage continue to be tallied. Becky is happy to report that she is receiving significant help. Sir Sanford Fleming College which has a Preservation program is working closely with her already, and students of the program are volunteering at the flood site. The Canadian Conservation Institute, an agency of the Department of Canadian Heritage, and the Ontario Association of Archives have also been in contact with her to offer help.

On some levels, the Library is also lucky with its insurance inasmuch as it does cover the situation because sewage is involved. If it had just been water damage, the Library would have been completely uninsured. However, there are massive deductibles to be covered; major funds are going to be needed before the Library can re-establish the situation and return to some level of normalcy.
You can use your VISA or MasterCard and donate online to the OLA Peterborough Public Library Flood Fund, or donate by phone toll-free at 416-363-3388 or 1-866-873-9867. Alternatively, make cheques out to "OLA Peterborough Public Library Flood Fund" and send them to the Ontario Library Association at 100 Lombard St., Suite 303, Toronto, ON M5C 1M3.

#34918 - 07/29/04 07:46 AM Re: Fundraisers and other charitable events
StephA Moderator
Ching Shih

Coach House Press in Toronto is trying to save its home from demolition. Find out more and (if you like) sign an online petition here .
#34919 - 08/20/04 10:10 AM Re: Fundraisers and other charitable events
Ekaterina_dup1
Ching Shih

Loc: USA

We here in Tampa were spared the brunt of Hurricane Charley, but many of our neighbors didn't fare so well.

There are many ways to help; given the music lovers here at Chicklit, I thought this one was interesting. Clear Channel Radio is sponsoring an auction of celebrity guitars to directly support American Red Cross relief efforts. The auction site is here.

Of course, Red Cross donations can always be made directly at their site.

Thanks for looking!

#34920 - 09/26/05 02:49 PM Re: Fundraisers and other charitable events
StephA Moderator
Ching Shih

Women and Words is a literary luncheon that benefits Penny Lane - a home for abused teen age girls and abandoned and neglected children in Los Angeles.

Women authors gather to discuss and sign their books, including Denise Hamilton, Helie Lee, Shirlee Taylor Haizlip, Jane Juska, Cassandra King and Martha Beck.

The event takes place Saturday, Oct. 15 at The Olympic Collection in West Los Angeles from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

The event is a fundraiser for Penny Lane, a non-profit social service agency that operates residential treatment facilities, a special Los Angeles Unified School District non-public school, foster care, adoption services, outpatient mental health clinics and a variety of other services for youth who would otherwise be homeless.

The cost for the event, which includes talks by each author, book signings, as well as a delicious breakfast and lunch, is $75. Early registration is advised since space is limited. For more information and to register, go to www.womenandwords.com to download the registration form.

www.womenandwords.com
www.pennylane.org

#34921 - 09/26/05 03:45 PM Re: Fundraisers and other charitable events
Laura_AZ
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Arizona, USA

Am I allowed to pimp the fact that I'm walking in the Arizona 3-Day walk for Breast Cancer next year, and need sponsors/donations? I won't post my link until I hear back. Thanks!
#34922 - 09/27/05 06:41 AM Re: Fundraisers and other charitable events
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

Yes.
#34923 - 09/29/05 11:22 AM Re: Fundraisers and other charitable events
Laura_AZ
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Arizona, USA

Okay! My donation page is here . And if anybody has any good fundraising ideas, please let me know! I'm a first-timer at this. (p.s. - Bonus! You get to know my *real name*!)
#34924 - 10/03/05 05:56 AM Re: Fundraisers and other charitable events
Star
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Damascus

I come from a third world country and it;s hard sometimes to find some books that are available in other parts of the world.I also find difficulty buying a lot of books because English books are expensive and I end up buying translated versions although I like reading novels in their native language I can only buy books between the pries 1$ to 3$
anyone interested in helping me ? please!
We don't have credit cards in my country.

#34925 - 10/03/05 03:30 PM Re: Fundraisers and other charitable events
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Star, I'm really not sure what you want to accomplish here. This is a thread about fundraisers and charitable events. Are you asking for people to send you books? In any case, you must stop spamming the forums with this repetitive post! If you have a question about this, email a moderator.
Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  StephA 
Hop to: