Page 1 of 43 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3550 - 11/02/00 12:34 PM Books that Become Movies
sisabet
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I have this weird thing about finding out that a book is being made into a movie and I have to then read that book. I don't necessarily have to see the movie (Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon comes to mind). Drivel like The Bridges of Madison County/Message In A Bottle does not count. I remember sitting in a movie theater a couple of years back and seeing an early trailer of Stir of Echoes. As soon as I spotted the flash - "based on the novel by Richard Matheson - I started a city-wide hunt for the book (which was hard since it was not being reissued until closer to the film's release date).
Does anyone else share my peculiar obsession/compulsion? Better still, any recommendations?

#3551 - 11/02/00 12:44 PM Re: Books that Become Movies
cynical
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Philadelphia, PA

I don't really find that I do that as a habit, but I absolutely did it in the case of Girl, Interrupted. I read the book as soon as I heard about the movie and then saw the movie after.
#3552 - 11/02/00 12:53 PM Re: Books that Become Movies
sisabet
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I have this other thing where I'm kind of turned off a book if I don't like who is in the movie. I know it is very irrational, but I am extremely opinionated about what actors I dislike and Winona Ryder is one of them. Now that the hype over the movie is dying down, I'd like to read the book - but not an edition with Ryder on the cover- Ugh. (Another strange thing about my habit - even though I'm reading the book because it is a movie, it is a point of honor with me to not read the "movie edition" of the book. - I know, and I promise to seek help as soon as I get a job with benefits)
#3553 - 11/02/00 01:54 PM Re: Books that Become Movies
sunflow
Ching Shih

Loc: Brighton, UK

I only do that if it's a book that has already piqued my interest. I have to run out and buy it as soon as I can, before the "movie version" is the only one in stores. I still haven't read The English Patient, because I can only find ones with Ralph Fiennes on the cover. Now, I love me some Ralph Fiennes, but not on the cover of my books. It just seems a discourtesy to the author to imply that people will only want to read the book if it's been turned into Hollywood tripe or approved by a celebrity.
#3554 - 11/02/00 10:26 PM Re: Books that Become Movies
Lady Agnew
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA

Oh, um, I do this too. Not to the extent where I'll run out to get a book just because a movie was made of it, but if I see a movie and I liked it, I'll try to find the book and flip through it, like The Godfather or The Talented Mr. Ripley, neither of which I actually read, the first because it is *the* definitive potboiler and the latter because it was too dif't from the movie and I didn't like the style (repressed). I will also pick up a book at random if a movie was made of it, like Smilla's Sense of Snow (which was okay and I didn't finish).

Three books I read that I picked up because they had been adapted to the screen, and which I liked:

Silence of the Lambs is better than the movie, and the movie is awfully good. I liked this book so much that it overrode the movie in my mind. (highest accomplishment)

High Fidelity is a book that I read before I saw the movie, and it ruined the flick a little. Liked both.

Strip Tease by Carl Hiaasen, by which I discovered Hiaasen, and I only flipped through it not because I'd seen the movie, oh God no, but because a movie had been made of it. I love Hiaasen -- he's zany.

#3555 - 11/03/00 01:14 PM Re: Books that Become Movies
sisabet
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I agree that Striptease was a great read and I am very fortunate that I have not seen the movie. Actually, I think the part I like the best is reading the book and then seeing the film - the book is never improved upon but I find it interesting to see how the filmmakers vision of the book plays out: if they are true to the storyline, preserve the characters, how does it deviate and why? Was it for exposition purposes or Hollywood convention? Sometimes I never get around to seeing the movie, but it's nice to know it is there.
Right now I'm reading "The Sweet Hereafter" by Russell Banks, unfortunately I saw the movie a couple of years ago. So far I'm enjoying the book more.
My sister wants to know if everyone's favorite comfort read, "A Wrinkle In Time" has ever been made into a movie? Anyone know?

#3556 - 11/03/00 01:38 PM Re: Books that Become Movies
cynical
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Philadelphia, PA

I thought the film adaptation of High Fidelity absoutely killed the charm of the book. I was so very disappointed as that was a top ten favorite book of mine.
I thought Accidental Tourist on the other hadn was one of the best adaptations I have ever seen.
I guess I am pretty militant about reading a book first if I can come to think of it. If I have not already done so unwittingly, you know, I mean read it on my own with no screenplay in sight.

#3557 - 11/03/00 02:35 PM Re: Books that Become Movies
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

I just found out yesterday that one of my favorite books is being made into a movie starring Brad Pitt, with Julia Roberts in negotiation to play opposite him. It's a book I'd classify as science fiction, and there are three major women in the book so I can just imagine they are going to combine these women into one or get rid of one, make one really minor, and make the other Julia Roberts. I am NOT happy! I am very afraid to go see it, since the story is so complex and I know they're going to ruin it. I just know it!

Replay by Ken Grimwood. Story of a man who dies of a heart attack at (I think) 48 and comes back as 18, and keeps dying at the same time and coming back later every time. So he gets many chances to relive his life and fix the things he did wrong before.

#3558 - 11/03/00 09:19 PM Re: Books that Become Movies
Orlando
Ching Shih

Loc: Australia

I guess I do this to a certain extent - if it's a movie that I think I want to see. I hate seeing a movie before I've read the book - I just find that it colours my reading of the book too much. Sometimes, even just knowing they've made the movie does this too especially if, like sisabet, I don't like who is in the movie.
Once I've read the book I can then feel free to like or dislike the movie without it ruining my "vision" of how it should be.
I've just read The Virgin Suicides and High Fidelity and I'm waiting to see the films - High Fidelity particularly because I really liked the book and I'm intrigued to see how they manage to transfer it to a movie. To me, it seemed an inherently English book and I'm wondering how it will work in an American setting.
I don't know if they've made A Wrinkle in Time into a movie, sisabet, but that's one book that I hope they never do - I just can't see it working at all!

- edited because I got those damned italics wrong again!

[This message has been edited by Orlando (edited November 03, 2000).]

#3559 - 11/03/00 10:30 PM Re: Books that Become Movies
sisabet
Gráinne ni Mhaille

-I can't get these italics at all so don't feel bad.

I don't think a film will necessarily ruin a book if it is done well. Another plus is that a classic story has the chance of reaching a wider audience. I was 10 when I saw The Secret of NIMH and loved it. I was thrilled to find the book "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH" and was shocked by how different and more complex it was than the movie (maybe that is when my obsession began). I never would have read the book if I had not enjoyed the movie and that would have been a shame. None of my nephew's friends have ever heard of Madeline L'Engle, much less A Wrinkle In Time. Sometimes you must go to great lengths to get the word out.

Great Movie Adaptations:
To Kill A Mockingbird
Silence of the Lambs
James and the Giant Peach
High Fidelity (I loved the movie)
Pride and Prejudice (BBC version - love those BBC versions)
The Cider House Rules (even though the movie was so dif from book I thought it preserved the spirit)

I am suffering from a block of any more - help me out here

almost forgot
Worst Adaptation of All Time:
Demi Moore's The Scarlett Letter

Page 1 of 43 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Kivrin, FishDreamer 
Hop to: