Page 3 of 43 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3570 - 11/19/00 02:39 PM Re: Books that Become Movies
Faria
Ching Shih

Loc: Erie, PA

I'm a teaching assistant at my college for a freshman writing class entitled "Coming of Age in America," and in order to get credit for the course, I am writing a paper comparing Huck Finn and Stephen King's long short story "The Body". Well, this weekend I rented the movie Stand by Me, which is based on King's short story. I have to admit that I loved it! I thought it really brought to life the spirit of the book, and the pain of growing up was so real.

Just finished the book version of High Fidelity...loved it! Can't wait to see the movie.

#3571 - 11/21/00 05:18 AM Re: Books that Become Movies
Lady Agnew
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA

I don't look on book to movie translations as a reader, but as a person looking at movies for their own sakes. It's fascinating how many movies are based on books. Famous movies, so-so books.

Like Forrest Gump, The Graduate, The Godfather, The Wizard of Oz, The Grifters, Cabaret, Gone with the Wind, Shoot the Piano Player, Birth of a Nation, Last Picture Show, Dr. Strangelove; or How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb, etc. Some of the most famous movies ever were based on books. Some brilliant, great films were made out of books that are blah. Has anyone ever read Puzo's The Godfather? And, conversely, great books rarely become great movies.

#3572 - 11/26/00 10:45 PM Re: Books that Become Movies
sisabet
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Lady Agnew - when I was 12 I found a copy of The Godfather at my grandmother's house and loved it - but that opinion could be partly based upon the the thrill of reading a "forbidden" book. My uncle found it later and moved it out of reach (Very strict upbringing).
#3573 - 12/02/00 03:19 AM Re: Books that Become Movies
Caphricacorn
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I was at the b&n a few weeks ago and picked
up "Fight Club". It's now on my Christmas list

#3574 - 12/05/00 04:07 PM Re: Books that Become Movies
SweetSue61
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Las Vegas, NV , USA

After having seen the movie I cannot read the book. I feel as if the book has been tainted, or rather how I would imagine the characters to look and things like that.
Remember Interview with a Vampire? The stink that caused because the readers were just horrified to hear that Tom Cruise would play Lestat. I can think of no movie where the characters were so true to the book. I think Tom Cruise was the only one to play Lestat.
I'm told The Green Mile is also true to the book. But having seen the movie first I don't know if that is true.

#3575 - 12/06/00 07:25 AM Re: Books that Become Movies
Lady Agnew
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA

Reading the book afterwards is one of my favorite things: I find interesting books that way, and if it's really good or engrossing, the book will supercede the drama onscreen. For instance, I saw Silence of the Lambs before reading the book, but I liked the book much better and I see, in my mind's eye, the material in the book when I think back to the book/movie.

Movies can't really do that to a favorite, much-loved book. Even the greatest of them can't really feel as intimate as the printed word: just how I'm built.

#3576 - 12/08/00 12:11 PM Re: Books that Become Movies
hula
Ching Shih

Loc: Victoria, BC

I read Bastard out of Carolina this summer and wondered whether the movie would be any where near as good. Anyone read/seen them both?

I'd like to watch the movie, but not if I'm going to have some godawful Simon Birch experience.

#3577 - 12/10/00 08:56 PM Re: Books that Become Movies
listersgirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

I definitely with those people who read the book rather than see the movie. If I see the movie first, then read the book, my imagination is totally stunted, and it's too distracting finding the parts that the filmmakers left out.

Of course I can never manage to resist a movie adaption of a favorite book, even though I know the movie will never compare to the book. Yup, that was me running out to see High Fidelity as soon as it was released (luckily that time I wasn't too distraut, although they felt like two different stories).

Mostly, though, I think movie people should stick to making movies from short stories. How can you possibly fit a full length novel into a 2 hour film and expect to be remotely faithful to the book? I mean, the English Patient practically left out all my favorite storylines.

#3578 - 12/11/00 12:26 PM Re: Books that Become Movies
sunflow
Ching Shih

Loc: Brighton, UK

There are definitely instances in which the movie is better than the book. Robert Altman's The Player comes instantly to mind - the book was a fun and easy read, but just a step above pulp. The movie was incredible. All the intrigue and humor of the book was heightened, and Altman added layer upon layer of self-referential themes that could have only been created in film. The story was just better suited to that medium.
#3579 - 01/01/01 10:53 AM Re: Books that Become Movies
harper
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

this is my first post (i just found the site today -- happy new year to me!!), and i have to share how thrilled i am to have found this place!!

now on topic, for those of you that like silence of the lambs, i highly recommend the first hannibal lecter book, red dragon, and the movie made from it, manhunter. both are excellent.

the virgin suicides is one of my favorite books ever, and i was very worried when i heard a movie was being made of it (and being directed by sofia coppola), but i was pleasantly surprised by the film. i thought it was a good adaptation

on a final note, i'm also one of those people who hate having a "movie version" of a book. i searched in vain for a non-matt damon version of the talented mr. ripley but had no luck.

[This message has been edited by harper (edited January 01, 2001).]

Page 3 of 43 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Kivrin, FishDreamer 
Hop to: