Page 1 of 23 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#36848 - 03/17/01 08:29 PM Grammar Question
ms.strident
Ching Shih

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

All my grammar knowledge comes from reading or from the gut (i.e. what sounds/feels correct), I have no actual training so I get stuck from time to time. Or perhaps my grammar always sucks and I've never noticed. Anyway...

Should I say

1) Semantics is the problem there.

2) Semantics are the problem there.

My gut says 1) but my English major friend says 2) because semantics is plural.

So do I go with my gut or my friend?

#36849 - 03/17/01 08:50 PM Re: Grammar Question
Shelly
Ching Shih

Loc: Baltimore, MD, US

It'd be 'Semantics is the problem here.'

You never have one 'semantic' -- that's an adjective. 'Semantics' is a noun, not some sort of pluralization of the adjective (we don't pluralize adjectives in English, anyway). It's not a plural. It's a different part of speech. It's a field of study. It's a way of life. Et cetera.

Compare it to saying 'psychology is the problem here.'

[This message has been edited by Shelly (edited March 17, 2001).]

#36850 - 03/18/01 02:44 PM Re: Grammar Question
ms.strident
Ching Shih

Thanks, Shelly. I was using 'economics' for comparison and we all tangled up in nouns and adjectives. It was late at night and we'd had a few beer* and the conversation turned to grammar - yeah, I'm a nerd.

To anyone not from Newfoundland that would be 'a few beers' but according to my Newfoundland and Labrador linguistics teacher we're preserving old language forms around here and most people have a few beer instead of a few beers - oh yeah, even more of a nerd!

[This message has been edited by ms.strident (edited March 18, 2001).]

#36851 - 03/18/01 03:48 PM Re: Grammar Question
Shelly
Ching Shih

Loc: Baltimore, MD, US

Discussing grammar in the middle of the night makes one a nerd?

Oh, dear.

#36852 - 03/19/01 11:05 AM Re: Grammar Question
ms.strident
Ching Shih

Well, if other Chickliterati discuss grammar in the middle of the night, that makes it a cool thing to do. I was mistaken. I'm not a nerd, I'm cool, and I rock. And so do you, Shelly!

This is what I get for holding myself up to the standards of the rest of the world instead of the illustrious standards of Chicklit.

#36853 - 06/03/01 10:13 AM Re: Grammar Question
Erink
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Washington DC, USA

I have another grammar question- someone help me, please. Are you:
racist towards smb or
racist against smb.
Also, am I correct in assuming that "racist" by itself is actually a neutral word, meaning that you have strong feelings about a certain race but not whether or not the feelings are negative?

#36854 - 06/03/01 02:27 PM Re: Grammar Question
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

According to my American Heritage College Dictionary:
 Quote:

racism: 1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. 2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race. racist: adj. or n.

Based on those definitions, I'd always consider "racist" or "racism" as perjorative, not neutral, words. That's because I consider the attitude described in those definitions to be abhorrent.

As to the first part of your question, my gut feeling is that one is "racist towards smb," but I have no definitive source on that.

[This message has been edited by TraceyB (edited June 03, 2001).]

#36855 - 06/14/01 01:34 PM Re: Grammar Question
Reni
Ching Shih

Actually, I don't really think that the adjective 'racist' can take a prepositional phrase. But that's also a gut feeling, so there you go.

My question is punctuation-related. Does anyone know of standard guidelines for using single quotes vs. double quotes? I often use single quotes when I'm referencing a word (or letter, or phrase) as a word, rather than the meaning of that word - like I did above. Whereas I'll use double quotes as shudder quotes to indicate some kind of strange inflection, or to report dialog, etc. But I'm not sure whether I just made up those rules in my little head or whether there are general rules on the subject. Anyone have any thoughts?

#36856 - 06/14/01 04:53 PM Re: Grammar Question
RaisinGrrl22
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Providence, RI, USA

Unfortunately, Reni, it depends on where you're from. The rules for quotations are, oddly (or not) different for the UK and the US. So in the US I'd say

In his book, A Brief History of Fishcakes, Snoozy McBoringPants writes, "The fishcake has been a tasty treat throughout time. 'I love them,' says Arlene."
Where in the original text i'm quoting, the single quotes are doubles.

in the UK, it's

In his book, A Brief History of Fishcakes, Snoozy McBoringPants writes, 'The fishcake has been a tasty treat throughout time. "I love them," says Arlene.'

but i think that in the US, the only time you use single quotation marks are with the quote-in-quote case. so your first line ought to read,
 Quote:
Actually, I don't really think that the adjective "racist" can take a

i could be wrong, but i hope this is helpful....

p.s., i agree with you about the prepositional phrase issue

edited because i can't type.

[This message has been edited by RaisinGrrl22 (edited June 15, 2001).]

#36857 - 01/21/02 11:58 AM Re: Grammar Question
hula
Ching Shih

Loc: Victoria, BC

Help! My boss insists that "decision making" must always be hyphenated, i.e. decision-making. Shouldn't it only be hyphenated in cases like "decision-making process" or "decision-making skills"? Is it hyphenated when "process" is implied in the sentence? I have a document that uses this phrase about 8000 times and I need to know whether to remove all those hyphens that look so wrong.

Can anyone help me?

Page 1 of 23 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Angiv, Catness 
Hop to: