Page 1 of 84 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#44196 - 10/23/02 12:17 AM NaNoWriMo support thread
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

I know several of you are planning to participate in NaNoWriMo , which is almost upon us, and I thought you might like to have a support thread.
#44197 - 10/23/02 04:27 PM Re: NaNoWriMo support thread
Invinciblegirl
Ching Shih

Loc: texas

While I definitely think I just bit off more than I can chew, I'm curious to know if anyone is doing any pre-November prep like outlines, anything like that?

I'm kind of just organizing it in my head. I also want to hear if any of you who did it last year have any good tips or tricks to share.

#44198 - 10/23/02 04:34 PM Re: NaNoWriMo support thread
voiceofreason
Ching Shih

Loc: Brookline, MA, USA

I just signed up, and I know that if I realistically want to write anything that makes sense, I need to do some outlines and planning, but I think I'm going to wing it anyway -- I'll save the fancy stuff for next year. My first year as a nanovelist will be all about churning out the words (It's especially easy for me to say this because it allows me to be lazy and defer freaking out until later). I do have some characters floating around in my head, though. And I think there's going to be a kidnapping, because everyone loves a kidnapping. Or pirates. Can't go wrong with pirates. Kidnapped by pirates? I think maybe someone already wrote that one.
#44199 - 10/23/02 05:09 PM Re: NaNoWriMo support thread
goovie
Ching Shih

Loc: chicago, il

Thanks for starting this thread, deborah! This is my first year "officially" doing NaNoWriMo (I missed the sign-up deadlines last year by one day, but I tried to write the novel anyway -- "tried" being the key word there), and I've got some basic ideas for characters and plot, but other than that, I'm just going to sit down at my computer on November 1 and see what happens.

I think dazey started a Chickliterati thread in the "Missed Connections" section of the NaNoWriMo forums; come over and say hi.

#44200 - 10/24/02 03:16 AM Re: NaNoWriMo support thread
dazey
Ching Shih

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Yes, that would be me (posting as brandnewgun over there). I'm definitely spending more time posting about the NaNovel at the moment than planning it. Nothing committed to paper or screen yet.

I bought some index cards (because, frankly, I love index cards) and I'll spend a couple of days writing down things that appeal to me on those. I've also thought about doing a few cards with "spark words", like we've used in the fiction workshop here. I'm thinking about using one per day to spark off the writing (so they'd be themed around what I think I'm going to write), or just using them when I get stuck.

So far, I have two texts to write about: Shakespeare's Full Fathom Five poem from the Tempest, and a Kirsty MacColl song, He's On The Beach. It's a ghost story. Those are my details. It's going to be fine.

edited to add: did I mention that the girlie and I have just acquired full-time custody of her 15-year-old daughter? Ideal novel-writing conditions. How do proper parents do this?

[This message has been edited by dazey (edited October 24, 2002).]

#44201 - 10/24/02 08:02 AM Re: NaNoWriMo support thread
Invinciblegirl
Ching Shih

Loc: texas

Well, like I was saying to the 3WA kids last night, there's always ninjas. Story gets slow? Time for some ninjas.

Man, this is going to be one huge steaming pile of crap. I fully expect to go Jack Nicholson on this one.

"If you hear me typing, or if you don't hear me typing..."

#44202 - 10/24/02 08:15 AM Re: NaNoWriMo support thread
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm a little concerned. This will be my first foray into fiction writing since ... high school. (I graduated almost 10 years ago.)
I'm not sure I even know how to write. This is definitly going to be difficult.

#44203 - 10/24/02 03:06 PM Re: NaNoWriMo support thread
Catness
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

Quote:
Originally posted by Invinciblegirl:
Well, like I was saying to the 3WA kids last night, there's always ninjas. Story gets slow? Time for some ninjas.

And monkeys! Don't forget monkeys! Or ninja monkeys who got their training from the Master Ninja Lemurs of Madagascar.

Then it's time for a dream sequence!

I'm only kind of kidding.

#44204 - 10/24/02 03:49 PM Re: NaNoWriMo support thread
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

Okay, I did it. I signed up. I am crazy.

Just in the last couple of days, it started sounding like a great idea, so I decided to go for it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Yay!

#44205 - 10/24/02 03:58 PM Re: NaNoWriMo support thread
shrew
Ching Shih

Monkeys? Cool! Ninja monkeys, even better. How about pirate ninja monkeys? They could kidnap The Magic Bat of Balthazar. And a... a penguin. yeah!

But me, I like the penguins. heh.

I'm signed up, but I have only this vague little shimmer of a half-formed story line. Not even half-formed, more like half-baked. I'm kind of hoping for mystical inspiration to arrive at midnight on Nov. 1.

Page 1 of 84 12345>Last »

Hop to: