Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#45190 - 08/08/04 03:35 PM Books for Writers about Writing
LovelyPride
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta, Canada

There was a thread for books about writing for writer's but it hasn't been posted on for a while so I thought I'd start a new one.

I recently found a book called Playwriting: The Structure of Action by Sam Smiley. While it is written for aspiring and established playwrights, there is also some great information and advice for all writers and styles of writing.

I'm also in the process of tracking down Poetics by Aristotle. Sometimes translated as On Poetics. It's the theories on which all of the Western World's modern literary theory is based on.

Okay, your turn! Any recommendations you'd like to make?

#45191 - 08/08/04 04:57 PM Re: Books for Writers about Writing
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

LovelyPride, in general I would say that it's never too late to post in a thread! We like to see old threads come back. That said, I went through this forum and didn't see a thread that was exactly this kind of thing--basic books on writing--so I'm going to leave this open.

The one book on writing that I really love and often reread is Brenda Ueland's If You Want to Write. I find it very inspiring.

#45192 - 08/09/04 03:08 PM Re: Books for Writers about Writing
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

I read one of these over vacation, which I mentioned in another thread but I thought it was wonderfully inspirational so I'll put it here too:

Terry Brooks' Sometimes the Magic Works: Lessons from a Writing Life. I ran across it at the library and it's short, easy to read, and a lot of fun. I intend to find myself a copy so I can read it again when I need a boost.

#45193 - 08/10/04 11:24 AM Re: Books for Writers about Writing
LauraT
Ching Shih

Loc: Redwood City, CA, USA

Ursula LeGuin's Steering the Craft is really good, and has lots of exercises that work well with a writing group. I also like J. M. Straczynski's Scriptwriting book, as well as Julia Cameron's The Right to Write and Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird for more 'inspirational' takes.
#45194 - 08/11/04 07:22 AM Re: Books for Writers about Writing
Daegaer
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I'll second your recommendation of Steering the Craft, LauraT, I found it useful and very practical. I also loved Bird by Bird.

I found myself tearing out my hair at Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg (Wild Mind isn't quite as bad, but I was still annoyed. So you feel wild, do you, Nat? that's nice. Now piss off) - I far prefer practical advice to mysticism.

#45195 - 08/11/04 10:32 AM Re: Books for Writers about Writing
xenopi
Ching Shih

Loc: Paradise City

Ha! Writing Down the Bones just grossed me out, I can't even explain it, I had some physical reaction to Nat's hippy dippy approach.

I've used The Making of a Poem: a Norton Anthology of Poetic Forms by Mark Strand and Eavan Boland quite a bit.

Theodore Roethke's essays on writing are pretty good, too. Also check out Triggering Town by Richard Hugo.

Bonus: for a novel disguised as a writing manual, check out Geoff Schmidt's Write Your Heart Out: Advice from the Moon Winx Hotel. The writing exercises at the end of each chapter are hilarious.

#45196 - 08/11/04 10:37 AM Re: Books for Writers about Writing
lex
Ching Shih

Loc: mostly Canada

I must be in the minority, because I love Natalie Goldberg's books. I also liked John Gardner's The Art of Fiction and Jack Hodgins' book A Passion for Narrative.
#45197 - 08/11/04 12:23 PM Re: Books for Writers about Writing
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

I liked Goldberg's Long, Quiet Highway enough to pick up Writing Down the Bones, so lex you're not entirely alone. Of course, what I took from her books was an interest in Buddhism rather than writing, but it was still worth it. I liked the former better.

I have a Gardner book from my writing class days that I should dig up. I can't remember if I actually read it or not. I like writerly autobiographies, like Eudora Welty's One Writer's Beginning and May Sarton's One House by the Sea and Journal of a Solitude.

I'd forgotten about Sarton. I need to look for those books and read them again, I think I'd get more out of them now than I did when I discovered her in my teens.

#45198 - 08/11/04 12:29 PM Re: Books for Writers about Writing
dazey
Ching Shih

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

I liked Writing Down the Bones, too, but then I can be a bit of a hippie at times. I've never really found a book that's more technical/ practical that said anything much to me - though the practical aspects of the writing class I did recently were great.

May Sarton! I haven't really read much of her non-fiction - I suspect I probably should, as I love her fiction.

#45199 - 08/11/04 12:45 PM Re: Books for Writers about Writing
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia

Deborah wrote a good book bundle on this topic, which some of you may find helpful. Plus there is a thread about the book bundle in the forum section that's devoted to discussing chicklit articles.

Sorry for not linking to either the book bundle or the thread; I'm at work and don't want to take the time to figure out how to do it. I'll come back and edit my post on the weekend.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Hop to: