Page 13 of 13 « First<910111213
Topic Options
#51153 - 10/24/05 10:27 AM Re: The Nonfiction Book Club
ots
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Maryland

Almost done with school - May 2006! So, I'm thinking of joining the non-fiction book club for the last half of next year. Is the list establised yet? Are you taking suggestions?

If so, here are a couple:

The Travels of a T-Shirt in a Global Economy - Pietra Rivoli

F.I.A.S.C.O. - Frank Partnoy

The Right to Privacy - Ellen Alderman & Caroline Kennedy

Spook - Mary Roach

#51154 - 11/18/05 09:01 AM Re: The Nonfiction Book Club
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

I would like to announce that PrimulaMary is going to be taking over the nonfiction book club for 2006. She's begun assembling the list and could use your suggestions, so please make them asap. Thanks!

I would like to suggest the following:

Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism by Robert Pape (comes out in paperback in early May 2006, but absolutely worth buying in hardcover, in my opinion. I don't think this book's gotten nearly the attention it ought to have, because it challenges the prevailing "wisdom" about who commits suicide terrorism, why, and in what numbers.)

Always with the frivolous reading suggestions...that's me!

#51155 - 11/18/05 11:18 PM Re: The Nonfiction Book Club
Kivrin Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

You are certainly not one to shy away from intensity, Deborah!

PrimulaMary--Brava! No suggestions at present, but I know I saw some interesting books on the nonfiction table recently, while browsing the new fiction. I'll have to take another look over the weekend and report back.

#51156 - 12/06/05 12:29 AM Re: The Nonfiction Book Club
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

I have a couple of suggestions, after my last trip to the book store to buy presents.

Big Bang: the Origin of the Universe by Simon Singh looks pretty interesting, and was on the shelf of best sellers so it should be accessible.

I also think Victoria Finlay's Color: A Natural History of the Palette might be interesting. (UK edition is apparently titled Colour: Travels Through the Paintbox although I can't swear they're the same book.)

Another possibility is Sand in my bra , a compilation of women's adventure travel stories. I've wanted to read it for years.

These are all out in trade paperback in the US now.

Oh, and a plug for the book I just bought myself that I've been wanting to read for ages: Meditations for the Humanist: Ethics for a Secular Age by A. C. Grayling. It's a bunch of essays on different topics such as (from the back cover): love, perseverance, revenge, racism, religion, history, loyalty, health, and leisure. And I read the one on nationalism while I was still in the store.

I also like autobiographies a lot, but I don't have any in mind right now.

ETA I thought of an autobiography I've been meaning to read! In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke. It's out in both trade and mass market paperback here, and it looks pretty interesting. I always prefer autobiographies to biographies, somehow.

#51157 - 12/09/05 05:55 PM Re: The Nonfiction Book Club
PrimulaMary Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: London, UK

Deborah, you have my undying admiration (again). Picking six books has been hard.

Thanks all so much for your suggestions. I've particularly tried to take your suggestions for genre and older non-fiction into account. It's incredibly difficult to find books that are readily available in various parts of the world, but I hope you'll all find something interesting in this list. (You'll want to know, I'm sure, that I'm already terribly excited about next year, when some of the books I've been longing to include will be out in paperback all over the world, instead of just here.)

Drumroll, please:

January/February: The Good Women of China: Hidden Voices by Xinran. Discussion begins on 28 February.
March/April: The Future Eaters: An Ecological History of the Australian Lands and People by Tim Flannery. Discussion begins on 30 April.
May/June: Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism by Robert Pape. Discussion begins on 30 June.
July/August: Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky. Discussion begins on 31 August.
September/October: And The Band Played On: Politics, People and the AIDS Epidemic by Randy Shilts. Discussion begins on 31 October.
November/December: Travels in West Africa by Mary Kingsley. Discussion begins on 31 December.

They're fairly diverse range of books, and I hope everyone will find at least one or two books there that interest them. For me, some are old friends and some I'm very excited about approaching for the first time.

#51158 - 12/09/05 06:39 PM Re: The Nonfiction Book Club
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

That is an excellent list, PrimulaMary! Well spread out and all of interest (even if you didn't pick any of my suggestions!).

It is hard to pick, isn't it?

#51159 - 12/12/05 10:44 AM Re: The Nonfiction Book Club
StephA Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Great looking list! Good job!!
#51160 - 01/01/07 11:40 PM Re: The Nonfiction Book Club
Perthelia
Ching Shih

Loc: Issaquah, Washington

Just bumping this up to see if the club is still going to be active in 2007? I've gotten a lot of great books from it and would love to see it continue.
#51161 - 01/14/07 04:12 PM Re: The Nonfiction Book Club
ScarletSweetPea
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Scenic South County, Maryland,...

I'm up for one, but I'm brand-spankin' new and not at all good at organizing things.

Edited to add a few nonfiction books that have piqued my interest:

As Nature Made Him: The Boy Who Was Raised As a Girl by John Colapinto (someone mentioned this one a while back)

CandyFreak: A Journey Through the Chocolate Underbelly of America by Steve Almond (I just got it for Christmas)

Crows: Encounters With the Wise Guys by Candace Sherk Savage

The Habit of Being by Flannery O'Connor (letters)

Anything by Karen Armstrong

Even if these aren't used by a book club, perhaps my mentioning them here will pique someone's interest.

Page 13 of 13 « First<910111213

Moderator:  Kivrin, Bear, LaSalleUGirl, PrimulaMary, StephA 
Hop to: