Page 3 of 21 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#51188 - 08/24/00 02:39 PM Re: The next Book Club selection
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

Psycholica, thanks for the tip about The Whiteness of Bones. It's too bad, but we should probably put that one off for a while. We can just move all the other selections up a notch, or we can discuss which book we'd like to insert in its place.
#51189 - 08/26/00 11:52 PM Re: The next Book Club selection
Psycholica
Ching Shih

Loc: Utah

Thanks, deborah. I was a bit worried that others would insist we continue with it and just get it from the library. I just really hate our local libraries and don't frequent them. The books tend to be badly beaten, sometimes missing pages, sometimes very marked up, and I just can't deal with that. It's hard enough for me to buy used books for university. I'd rather buy the book and take my chances.
#51190 - 12/02/00 02:18 PM Re: The next Book Club selection
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

It's time to start fielding suggestions for the next few selections for the main book club. We have two more to go before we run out, so please put your two cents in soon! And since we've only done one non-fiction book in the first six months of this site's existence, let's have suggestions for both fiction and non-fiction choices. Please re-read the guidelines contained in this thread before making recommendations.

I'll reiterate my interest in reading West with the Night by Beryl Markham.

I look forward to reading your suggestions and ideas!

#51191 - 12/03/00 09:25 PM Re: The next Book Club selection
Kivrin Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

I've made a list of non-fiction and fiction that I'd like to read sometime so I'll go ahead and post it here and see if anyone seconds my selections. Here goes~~

Fiction:
The Orchid Thief, by Susan Orlean
Kalimantaan, by C.S. Godshalk
Swimming In The Congo,by Margaret Meyers
Anil's Ghost, by Michael Ondaatje
The Ground Beneath Her Feet, by Salman Rushdie
The Book Borrower, by Alice Mattison
The Last Life, by Claire Messud
Gut Symmetries, by Jeanette Winterson
Art and Lies, by Jeanette Winterson

Non-Fiction:
Manifesta, by J. Baumgardener and Amy Richards
Cunt, by Inga Muscio
The Professor and The Madman, by Simon Winchester
Ex Libris, by Anne Fadiman
The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath
Baby Precious Always Shines: Selected Love Notes between Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas
Memoirs of a Beatnik, by Diane Di Prima

#51192 - 12/08/00 11:45 AM Re: The next Book Club selection
Bear Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

The Ground Beneath Her Feet isn't great, I'm afraid...I don't even think it would that interesting to discuss.

Cunt is okay, although a bit sad - she seems to think that she's the first feminist to use the word. And the fact that she wrote an entire book about 'cunt' as a concept and never once mentioned Germaine Greer is inexcusable, considering the fact that Greer not only wrote a famous essay called 'Lady Love Your Cunt' but also edited the 'Cuntpower' issue of Oz magazine which featured an amazing article about female sexuality and reclaiming the word cunt which was a million times sharper and smarter than Muscio's entire book. But I think the book would be fun to discuss. As would Ex Libris - quite perfect for this site!

#51193 - 12/08/00 12:55 PM Re: The next Book Club selection
pinkvodka
Ching Shih

Loc: Austin

o/t
Susan Orlean's The Orchid Thief is non-fiction.
end o/t

#51194 - 12/10/00 03:35 PM Re: The next Book Club selection
Kivrin Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Oh. I thought it was a novel based on real events. I stand corrected then.

I definitely think that Ex Libris should be on the list.I love the cover of this book.
I'm all for more non-fiction and essays as I will choose fiction every time over the other unless I am pushed a little.

#51195 - 12/12/00 12:02 PM Re: The next Book Club selection
hula
Ching Shih

Loc: Victoria, BC

I've been wanting to read Ex libris. I think another non-fiction that could go on the list is Natalie Angier's Woman.
#51196 - 12/13/00 08:39 AM Re: The next Book Club selection
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Ex libris is part of an upcoming Book Bundle so we'll have the chance to discuss that book there. It is a fantastic book, though, and I urge everyone who likes this site to read it.
#51197 - 01/02/01 05:53 PM Re: The next Book Club selection
sunflow
Ching Shih

Loc: Brighton, UK

Would anybody else be interested in reading Zadie Smith's White Teeth? It is definitely the critic's darling right now, and I'm curious to see what all the fuss is about.
Page 3 of 21 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Kivrin, Bear, LaSalleUGirl, PrimulaMary, StephA 
Hop to: