Page all of 14 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#52311 - 05/25/01 01:15 AM Best comic books
sunflow
Ching Shih

Loc: Brighton, UK

I'm getting in touch with my inner ten-year-old boy, and would like to read some good comic books. (Damn The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay. As if I didn't already spend too much money on books and music.)

The problem is, I have absolutely no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

#52312 - 06/02/01 10:25 AM Re: Best comic books
harper
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

well, i'm not sure that this is 10-year-old boy stuff, but the comics (i assume you're looking for graphic novel/traditional comic books info not bloom county/calvin & hobbes-type comics) i have been directed to by my comic-inclined friends are the neil gaiman sandman series (outstanding!) and the batman/dark knight books (i'm blanking on the author right now).
#52313 - 06/12/01 11:10 AM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

Loc: Maryland, USA

Without knowing what kind of stories you like...

Sandman is excellent fantasy/horror. It's also eleven volumes in all, which makes it a rather expensive experiment if you don't like it.

So, some single volume collections/graphic novels that you might try:
Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns -- Batman. 'Nuff said.
Kyle Baker's Why I Hate Saturn -- funny, and (compared to the rest of these) realistic.
Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen -- if you like Victorian lit, this is a riot.
James O'Barr's The Crow -- if you like being depressed.

#52314 - 06/13/01 03:49 AM Re: Best comic books
Joy
Ching Shih

Loc: London

I'd recommend anything by Miller (but particularly the Electra series, drawn by Sienkewicz (sp)), anything by Baker, anything by Alan Moore (particularly From Hell). I recently enjoyed Chris Ware's Jimmy Corrigan, which is just incredible.

If you like autobiographical comics, Lynda Barry is great. Twisted Sisters is an excellent anthology of women cartoonists, mostly autobiographical.

#52315 - 06/20/01 04:28 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Astro City by Kurt Busiek, Brent Eric Anderson, and Alex Ross is outstanding. They're basically trying to recpature the wonder and glory of old-time super-hero storytelling. Wonderful looks behind the mask

(edited to add more)

If you want Batman, I agree with Strega; Dark Knight is incredible. I'm also a big fan of Year One, also by Miller. If you want to go cheaper, you can find copies of The Killing Joke by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland for a nice price. Personally, I think it's the finest Joker story of them all. Miller's a god, though. You can't go too wrong with anything by him. I loved his Daredevil mini with John Romita Jr on the pencils.

Books of Magic is a beautifully drawn story (Bolton, Vess, Hampton, and Johnson), with a pretty nifty Gaiman story.

If you like magic and adventure, Thieves & Kings is at the top of my list. It's available in graphic novel format, but it's an ongoing series (Mark Oakley is the author and he puts them into trades every now and then). It's my favorite book out there. very complex, very different than just about anything else out there, I think.

[This message has been edited by JohnConstantine (edited June 21, 2001).]

#52316 - 07/10/01 01:24 PM Re: Best comic books
fullmoon
Ching Shih

Loc: Davis, CA, US

I can't believe someone hasn't mentioned Strangers in Paradise yet. It's somewhat different from the superhero/magical creature kinda thing (take love triangle and mingle it in with an evil female organization), but it's good stuff.
#52317 - 07/11/01 07:56 AM Re: Best comic books
Mistral
Ching Shih

The Asterix books! They might be kinda hard to find in the US, though. They're huge in Europe. About this little Gaulish villiage, the only one not taken over by the Romans. The only reason it hasn't been is because the druid (Getafix) brews a magic potion that conveys superhuman strength. Asterix is this little guy who drinks the potion. His sidekick is Obelix, who fell into a vat of it when he was a baby and doesn't need to drink it anymore. He's a menhir delivery man. Oh, I can't do them justice, but they're really funny and smart.
#52318 - 07/11/01 12:19 PM Re: Best comic books
Masha Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Hee! I remember my college French teacher trying to explain to us why Asterix is so cool. Something was obviously lost in the translation. Are they available in English? Wasn't there supposed to be a movie with Gerard Depardieu?

And playing the part of Stupid Girl today will be Masha: Where does one find these, ahem, graphic novels? Do regular bookstores have them hiding someplace, or do I have to brave the testosterone- and Stridex-reeking comic-book stores?

[This message has been edited by Masha (edited July 11, 2001).]

#52319 - 07/11/01 01:32 PM Re: Best comic books
sunflow
Ching Shih

Most bookstores seem to carry some of them, but not exactly a wide selection. I've found very few of the series mentioned here, and the ones I did find were far along in the series. I'm sort of a nut about always starting at the beginning, so that won't work for me.

I did order Sandman's Preludes and Nocturnes a couple of weeks ago, and haven't heard back from the store. Probably time to go harass them.

On a similar note, how does one get involved with a long-running series, like the X-Men? I hate to just start buying in the middle because I saw the movie and can figure out the rest of it. I'm a great believer in chronology. (Mainly because I just hate having any plot point spoiled.)

I think it may be time to brave the local comic book store and hope they aren't terribly condescending to a woman who has no idea what she is talking about (only in regard to the comics, of course).

#52320 - 07/11/01 10:23 PM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

Depending on the location, chains like Borders tend to have a shelf or two of the best-selling trade paperbacks & graphic novels. And you can certainly get some through Amazon & other online stores.

I wish I could tell you comic shops don't reek of testosterone and Stridex (heh). A lot of them don't -- I've had good luck and never run into the usual stereotypes, but I've heard plenty of horror stories.

To find a shop, try: www.the-master-list.com
There are some reviews of stores, submitted by customers -- although the list is huge, so the number that have reviews is still fairly small.

Edited to add: The X-Men is tricky, because there are multiple series set in the X-Men universe, with who knows how many writers. I've never read it, so I can't be much help. But I've gotten into a few comics by starting in the middle and then collecting the ones I'd missed -- comics tend to be more self-contained, so it's not as disconcerting as reading a novel by starting in the middle. It's more like watching a TV show; you can pick up the story, although you may not get some references.

[This message has been edited by Strega (edited July 11, 2001).]

#52321 - 07/12/01 09:22 AM Re: Best comic books
Mistral
Ching Shih

Masha - I just looked on amazon.com & you can get lots of Asterix books there! Even my especial favorite - Asterix in Switzerland. They're only about nine bucks each, and, believe me, they're worth it. And if your French teacher was right, and they lose something in the translation, I'm not sure I'd live if I read them in French. I won't be going to amazon later to order lots...um, no siree...
#52322 - 07/17/01 03:06 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by sunflow:
On a similar note, how does one get involved with a long-running series, like the X-Men? I hate to just start buying in the middle because I saw the movie and can figure out the rest of it. I'm a great believer in chronology. (Mainly because I just hate having any plot point spoiled.)

I think it may be time to brave the local comic book store and hope they aren't terribly condescending to a woman who has no idea what she is talking about (only in regard to the comics, of course).

Well, for something like X-Men, there really are a number of different starting points that work fairly well. i.e., When all the "new" X-Men (Wolvie, Storm, Nightcrawler, etc.) joined, or the first issues after the film came out. But with a serial like this, you're jumping into the middle. It's just the way it is, especially with a writer like Chris Claremont, who's written more X-Men comics than God. (He's sort of fond of long, dangling plot threads that he picks up three years later.) I say dive in with one of the trades (The Dark Phoenix Saga would be my recommendation), grab a few of the other trades when you can and just start reading the series. They've recently changed writers, and gone in different directions with some of the titles, so now's a good time.

Most stores these days are just happy to see a new face interested in comics. (the smarter ones also see this is a chance to sell a whole butt-load of product...)

fullmoon, you're right about SiP. Moore's bloody brilliant. A smart and fearless book.

Tara Tallan was doing a lovely book called Galaxion, but I haven't seen an issue in pretty much forever, so it may have died. Damn shame. Nifty space adventure stuff.

Colleen Doran is still doing A Distant Soil and her trades are usually pretty easy to find, and reasonably priced. The comics she's putting out right now are also notable for the backup features, which preview the work of some other very talented folks. She's been one of the stars of the indy world for quite a long time.

Also, and as per usual, Strega is right again.

#52323 - 07/17/01 09:01 PM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

Heh. Actually, I'm gonna hijack this thread now. Well, a little. But I've been thinking about this lately, and it might be an issue for new readers, so it kinda relates...

I find that a lot of comics are, well, ugly. And given how much of the story is visual, it's a problem for me. It's like watching a tv show where the story's good, but everything's badly lit or out of focus. I'm willing to believe that some of it is a style issue, since there are some books where I think, "Yeah, technically this is nice, but... I don't like it." That's fine. But it seems like I'm spending a lot of time saying, "This is a good story; pity the art's so lousy."

I'm curious if this is just me, or if everyone knows this and only I'm surprised by it, or if I'm spoiled since Arkham Asylum was one of the first things I read. Or if I'm just wrong (perish the thought). Mostly because I wonder if that turns off potential comic readers.

[This message has been edited by Strega (edited July 17, 2001).]

#52324 - 07/18/01 01:03 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Well, there definitely are some nasty-ass books floating around out there, and some pretty crappy artists still getting work (Jon Bogdanove, Bret Blevins, Erik Larsen, and Rob Liefeld, I'm glaring in your direction), but I really do think a lot of it is a matter of style. Of course, I'm not reading very many Vertigo books or their ilk lately, and I have noticed in the past that with their emphasis on "darker" storytelling occasionally have someone drawing who has a need to make the art as ugly as the actual plot...

It's interesting that you mention Arkham Asylum. From your post, I'm assuming you're a fan of the book, but Bill Sienkiewicz has been frequently ripped for his "ugly" artistic style. (you should read some of the nasty things people wrote about him when he was on New Mutants!)

#52325 - 07/18/01 01:56 PM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

Dave McKeon did Arkham Asylum. Or are we talking about different things?
#52326 - 07/19/01 12:35 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Nope, you're right. My addled brain got it mixed up with a different book. Of course, McKean gets ranted on for being "ugly" too, on occasion.

*note to self: McKean did Arkham, Sienkiewicz did Elektra...*

#52327 - 07/19/01 01:25 PM Re: Best comic books
Joy
Ching Shih

Loc: London

An important tip for anyone getting into the Asterix world: originally, Asterix was written by Goscinny, and drawn by Uderzo. Then Uderzo died, and Goscinny started writing and drawing them, with a significant decline in quality.

So make sure whatever you buy doesn't just say "Goscinny and Uderzo's Asterix", but makes clear that the text is by Goscinny.

#52328 - 07/24/01 04:06 AM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Oh, I love Dave McKean. When I applied to art college, many years ago, I put his name on the application form as an example of an artists I admired.

I agree with Strega that so much comic book art is bad, bad, bad. I think that's the reason why I don't really like superhero comics (I love the '60s and even '70s ones, when the art is cheesy but not so '17-year-old-in-a-life-drawing-class'). But of course, htere's still plenty of amazing art there. Marc Hempel, who did all but one issue of the art for 'The Kindly Ones', from Sandman is amazing. I've been a Sandman fan since, jesus, about 1990, but I always hated most of the internal art (not, of course, the covers). Then in 1995 along came Marc Hempel and made me very happy.

Then of course there's Peter Bagge (yeah, it's nasty but Hate is still one of the funniest comics ever), whose art I adore. Ditto Jaime Hernandez of Love and Rockets fame. And the wondrous Dan Clowes. Anyone who doesn't think comic books can be literature should get Clowes's Ghostworld and any Love and Rockets book now.

#52329 - 07/24/01 08:19 AM Re: Best comic books
Almeda
Ching Shih

In re getting started on X-Men:

IMHO, a lot of their best stuff happened in the 80s, but that's just 'cause that's when I was reading it most compulsively, in all likelihood. :-> Marvel *is* doing something rather cool, though - they're pubbing big compilation volumes with huge masses of continuity (in black and white, alas, on newsprint), so if you want to see where X-Men, Captain America, The Avengers, the Fantastic Four, etc, started, go get yourself 'The Essential ...' All major comic shops ought to carry them, or you could try Amazon.

#52330 - 07/24/01 02:57 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by Bear:
Oh, I love Dave McKean. When I applied to art college, many years ago, I put his name on the application form as an example of an artists I admired.

I agree with Strega that so much comic book art is bad, bad, bad. I think that's the reason why I don't really like superhero comics (I love the '60s and even '70s ones, when the art is cheesy but not so '17-year-old-in-a-life-drawing-class'). But of course, htere's still plenty of amazing art there. Marc Hempel, who did all but one issue of the art for 'The Kindly Ones', from Sandman is amazing. I've been a Sandman fan since, jesus, about 1990, but I always hated most of the internal art (not, of course, the covers). Then in 1995 along came Marc Hempel and made me very happy.

Then of course there's Peter Bagge (yeah, it's nasty but Hate is still one of the funniest comics ever), whose art I adore. Ditto Jaime Hernandez of Love and Rockets fame. And the wondrous Dan Clowes. Anyone who doesn't think comic books can be literature should get Clowes's Ghostworld and any Love and Rockets book now.

Interesting. I really liked the work that Mike Dringenberg did on Sandman and Kelley Jones always does nice, if weird, work. I've never cared too much for Shawn McManus's work as a rule (what was up with all the grins?), and Jill Thompson's wasn't her best work (check out the Lil' Endless book she just did for some really nifty stuff, though; it's a gorgeous book), but overall I always thought Sandman had pretty terrific interior work.

I give you P. Craig Russell's work on "Ramadan". Great story, terrific art. Nice, nice, book.

#52331 - 07/25/01 01:10 PM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

I think most of the Sandman run is pretty typical – there are exceptions, like Ramadan, but most of the issues are not things I'd look at for the art. It seems as if during World's End it seemed as if they started making an effort, because it, Kindly Ones and The Wake are much better.

I don't think it was bad in the sense of being totally incompetent, but it wasn't attractive – does that make sense? As far as illustrating the story, it's fine, but I'd like it if the art could be appreciated on its own.

#52332 - 07/27/01 01:03 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by Strega:
I don't think it was bad in the sense of being totally incompetent, but it wasn't attractive – does that make sense? As far as illustrating the story, it's fine, but I'd like it if the art could be appreciated on its own.

What did you think of Kingdom Come and/or Marvels, by Alex Ross?

#52333 - 07/29/01 11:20 AM Re: Best comic books
Snacky
Ching Shih

Loc: Worcester, MA USA

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnConstantine:
What did you think of Kingdom Come and/or Marvels, by Alex Ross?

Oh, man I love me some Alex Ross! Both Kingdom Come and Marvels are beautiful, but I'd have to pick Kingdom Come as having the best combination of story and art. Some of the illustrations Ross did for that are simply amazing.

re: Sandman art. Yup, "Ramadan" is gorgeous, and my favorite Death ever is Dringenberg's from "The Sound of Her Wings," but I have to agree with Strega that most of the earlier art is just okay, although I think Brief Lives, rather than World's End, is the turning point, with Jill Thompson's work. It may not be her best, but she did a wonderful job with all the Endless in that one, especially Delirium. And for a perfect combination of art and story, you can't do much better than World's End, with the different artists' styles matching the story being told. I particularly love Mike Allred's art for "The Golden Boy."

Bad art? JohnConstantine, word on Rob Liefeld. If he never picked up a pen again, I'd be happy. And how about Frank Quitely? Do you think he's doing them that ugly on purpose?

Where to start with X-Men? Almeda suggested the "Essential" books, and these are really good.Essential X-Men #1 starts with the relaunch of the New X-Men (Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Banshee and Colossus) back in 1975, and goes on from there. They're inexpensive for the amount of story you get, but they're black and white reprints on cheap paper, so they're more about the story than the artwork. If you want the see the full color artwork, you're better off with the TP, or buying up the back issues. If you decide to start with a trade, I agree with JohnConstantine, Dark Phoenix is a good one. I also like Inferno, or if you want to start in the 90s, try the "Age of Apocalypse" collections.

Now's a good time to start reading the X-Books, actually. Marvel's at a sort of relaunch point, and they've split up the characters into 3 books, killed off some of the others, and tied up some old storylines. The three main X-books are Uncanny X-Men, X-treme X-Men, and New X-Men. There's also Ultimate X-Men, which takes all the same characters, and starts them over again, without all the years of continuity.

And if you have history questions, here's a handy FAQ for the X-Men:
http://www.enteract.com/~katew/faqs/racmxFAQ/

And finally, bringing it back to the point, two great books to try: The Authority and Planetary. Both were created by Warren Ellis, although he's no longer writing The Authority.

Planetary is about "mystery archeologists" who go all over the world, exploring strange and fantastic stuff. The Authority is a superhero book for the new millenium - sort of "what would superheroes be like if they existed in the real world?" They'd smoke, and have drug problems and have a gay couple on the team, just to start. Both books are great stories, with lots of intense action.

#52334 - 07/29/01 01:27 PM Re: Best comic books
sunflow
Ching Shih

I finally found Preludes and Nocturnes. I enjoyed it, but I also felt a little bit like the entire purpose was to set up the future story. It just wasn't very satisfying on its own.

And I think I am missing about 3/4 of the references. I was very proud of myself for a minute, thinking I'd found the origin of your name, John -- then I went to the bookstore and found a whole separate series for John Constantine. And now I read this thread and see that there is an Arkham Asylum that has nothing to do with Sandman. Sheesh. I appreciate a good in-joke, but I feel like I'm being left out of the party.

That didn't stop me from picking up the next book, as well as the first Preacher book. That one intrigued me -- it looks really warped, in the best way possible.

#52335 - 07/29/01 07:27 PM Re: Best comic books
Snacky
Ching Shih

Quote:
I finally found Preludes and Nocturnes. I enjoyed it, but I also felt a little bit like the entire purpose was to set up the future story. It just wasn't very satisfying on its own.

And I think I am missing about 3/4 of the references. I was very proud of myself for a minute, thinking I'd found the origin of your name, John -- then I went to the bookstore and found a whole separate series for John Constantine. And now I read this thread and see that there is an Arkham Asylum that has nothing to do with Sandman. Sheesh. I appreciate a good in-joke, but I feel like I'm being left out of the party.

That didn't stop me from picking up the next book, as well as the first Preacher book. That one intrigued me -- it looks really warped, in the best way possible.

sunflow, keep going with Sandman. I promise, it's worth it. Yes, the first arc is a settling in, and "setting up" period, both for Gaiman and the artists, but it gets better, much better, from there.

As for the comic book references, at the time DC hadn't launched its Vertigo imprint, and since Sandman was a makeover of an old comic book hero from the 40s, they wanted the stories to be part of the "mainstream" DC Universe. So that's why all the other DC characters, like John Constantine and Martian Manhunter, and places like Arkham Asylum, pop up in these stories. After this, Gaiman doesn't really use them anymore, except at the very end.

And yes, Preacher is very twisted. You'll love it!

[This message has been edited by Snacky (edited July 29, 2001).]

#52336 - 07/29/01 10:16 PM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

Kingdom Come was nice -- I wasn't completely satisfied by the story, but the art is lovely.

For Warren Ellis, I'd recommend Transmetropolitan to someone who hasn't read a lot of comics. I'm catching up on Planetary and enjoy it, but (as sunflow mentioned with Sandman) there are lots of comic references and I know I'm not getting all of them.

Preacher is a complete riot; I loved it. It's not for the easily offended, though. Or the easily disgusted, for that matter.

#52337 - 07/30/01 12:48 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by Snacky:
Bad art? JohnConstantine, word on Rob Liefeld. If he never picked up a pen again, I'd be happy. And how about Frank Quitely? Do you think he's doing them that ugly on purpose?

Where to start with X-Men? Almeda suggested the "Essential" books, and these are really good.Essential X-Men #1 starts with the relaunch of the New X-Men (Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Banshee and Colossus) back in 1975, and goes on from there. They're inexpensive for the amount of story you get, but they're black and white reprints on cheap paper, so they're more about the story than the artwork. If you want the see the full color artwork, you're better off with the TP, or buying up the back issues. If you decide to start with a trade, I agree with JohnConstantine, Dark Phoenix is a good one. I also like Inferno, or if you want to start in the 90s, try the "Age of Apocalypse" collections.

I'm not minding Quitely all that much. His Beast reditions are interesting, and at least Cyclops is "Slim" again. It's kind of nice to see some different body types for a change. However, I will admit Quitely's style is a little strange.

I've got to disagree with any recommendation of "Inferno" as an X-Men storyline to read. One of the real low points in the series, and proof that not every summer should have a massive X-over. Sure, it tied up some loose ends, but I'd say it tried to do way too much. (it also had a major art flub at the end that was just embarrassing. of course, Bob Harras was the editor then, and he's proven himself to be quite shame-free).

sunflow done said:
 Quote:

FYI: Constantine first showed up as part of Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing, so the character goes back even further...

A Season of Mists is probably my favorite Sandman storyline. Creepy Kelley Jones art, a nasty little story, a bunch of old gods, and Lucifer's vengeance. (I actually turned that sucker into a short play, once upon a writing class...)

I'm also enjoying Judd Winick's [Barry Ween, Boy Genius[/i]. Very funny, if you're not easily offended, and enjoy potty-mouth humor. It helps if you can blot out The Real World: San Francisco from you memory...

#52338 - 07/30/01 01:25 PM Re: Best comic books
Midnight Creeper
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Quote:
For Warren Ellis, I'd recommend Transmetropolitan to someone who hasn't read a lot of comics. I'm catching up on Planetary and enjoy it, but (as sunflow mentioned with Sandman) there are lots of comic references and I know I'm not getting all of them.

Preacher is a complete riot; I loved it. It's not for the easily offended, though. Or the easily disgusted, for that matter.

Planetary is indeed good stuff. It is, however, perhaps more rewarding to longtime DC/Marvel readers, since it makes references to characters, settings, or objects from titles in those comic book universes. Which is to say, the Planetary team runs across stuff such as analogues of the Fantastic Four or the Hulk. Not the "real" thing, mind you, but rather the Planetary version.

As for Preacher, I found it to be vile and offensive and far too fond of artwork that glories in depictions of blown-apart heads. It's one thing to try to be shocking and provocative if you have a point; this title, in my opinion, simply likes being smug, crude, and loud. I know I'm in the minority on this one, though.

Strangehaven is a book that has excellent artwork and some intriguing characters, but it is produced so slowly and erratically that it's hard to follow the story. Something to do with an eccentric "Northern Exposure" type of English village with a sinister secret and a bunch of crypto-Masons running amuck. Also, there's a dead woman in a fish tank.

The Authority has a lot of the look and feel of Planetary and is apparently a successor to the earlier Stormwatch. Good art, interesting characters, lotsa graphic violence. People get slaughtered by the thousands, and even the heroes can and do die. However, the villains tend to be simply Eeevil (and also usually Republicans or Tories) and one-dimensional (at least in the first two collections). This works fine in some cases where the bad guys simply enjoy the power of unadulterated naughtiness, but not so fine in other cases. Villainy needs a nice mixture of motivations, for the sake of variety of nothing else.

Also, I'm getting hooked on Sam & Twitch, a spinoff from Spawn. I've never read an issue of the parent series in my life, but I'm a sucker for detective/police stories. This title focuses on two homicide detectives that investigate the usual strange stuff. The artwork is kinda murky sometimes, but the dialogue is vivid and (expletive deleted) forceful.

#52339 - 07/30/01 02:02 PM Re: Best comic books
fullmoon
Ching Shih

Loc: Davis, CA, US

Quote:
Originally posted by Snacky:

sunflow, keep going with Sandman. I promise, it's worth it. Yes, the first arc is a settling in, and "setting up" period, both for Gaiman and the artists, but it gets better, much better, from there.

Right. Doll's House is what sold me on the series. It's still my favorite.

Ironically, I must be the one person here who preferred virtually every other artist to the work in The Kindly Ones. I just preferred detail to utter simplicity, I guess *sigh*

#52340 - 07/30/01 04:37 PM Re: Best comic books
Snacky
Ching Shih

Quote:
I'm not minding Quitely all that much. His Beast reditions are interesting, and at least Cyclops is "Slim" again. It's kind of nice to see some different body types for a change. However, I will admit Quitely's style is a little strange.

It's not the bodies, it's the faces. Just too lumpy for me, especially Jean and Wolverine. But I do like the change in Beast.

Quote:
I've got to disagree with any recommendation of "Inferno" as an X-Men storyline to read. One of the real low points in the series, and proof that not every summer should have a massive X-over. Sure, it tied up some loose ends, but I'd say it tried to do way too much. (it also had a major art flub at the end that was just embarrassing. of course, Bob Harras was the editor then, and he's proven himself to be quite shame-free).
[/B]

See, to me, it was one of the better X-overs. Not quite as many teams to worry about then, and I thought it tied up the Madelyne Pryor story quite well. Plus, I love the way Silvestri drew the X-Men. The story is not without its flaws, and the less said about Bob Harras, the better, but I still think it was a good arc, with Sinister used to great effect, before he became a cliche. Of course, this could just be my nostalgia talking - I became an X-Men fan back in the 80s, so those teams (Aussie X-Men and the New Mutants, not so much X-Factor) have a place in my heart.

But then again, I have actually admitted to liking the "Fatal Attractions" X-over in public, (there, I did it again!) so my taste in storylines is probably questionable, at best.

#52341 - 07/31/01 06:46 AM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

Quote:
A Season of Mists is probably my favorite Sandman storyline. Creepy Kelley Jones art, a nasty little story, a bunch of old gods, and Lucifer's vengeance. (I actually turned that sucker into a short play, once upon a writing class...)

Hah, I ripped off one of the stories in Season of Mists too! I was about 16 at the time, and it was the one about the boy's boarding school. I still think that's one of the best, creepiest short stories I've ever read. And such a great ending...

#52342 - 07/31/01 11:37 AM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Quote:
Hah, I ripped off one of the stories in Season of Mists too! I was about 16 at the time, and it was the one about the boy's boarding school. I still think that's one of the best, creepiest short stories I've ever read. And such a great ending...

hee! That was the story that I dumped from my script (hey, I had to slash and burn some stuff and pad out like crazy on the "A" story in some spots so it'd actually work!). It's a nifty, nasty story, though. Did you know Neil did some additional stories featuring the two dead boys? They made a major appearance as Dead Boy detectives in the Vertigo crossover thing "The Children's Crusade".

fullmoon, you're not alone. While I didn't dislike the art for The Kindly Ones, it was hardly my favorite period for the series.

Snacky, you're forgiven. I was a big fan of Silvestri's stuff, too. (especially the second chapter of his Brood Saga. Loved the little intros of the characters he and Claremont did as they were battling the Brood. "This is Colossus. He's as strong as he looks." *snap!* Only time there was a better scene of Colossus killing someone was during the Mutant Massacre, when he took out that spinning dork. yow!) I wonder why Silvestri doesn't draw anymore? Too busy with the business end of Top Cow? Shame.

#52343 - 08/10/01 12:47 PM Re: Best comic books
Pyewacket
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Mt. Vernon, WA, USA

I loved Ghost World. Funny, sad, heartbreaking, real. Has anyone seen the movie yet?
#52344 - 08/10/01 02:26 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyewacket:
I loved Ghost World. Funny, sad, heartbreaking, real. Has anyone seen the movie yet?

I've been reading all the raves about it, but there's just a touch of the "See how arty and cool I am?" about it that makes me a little leery. I hope I'm wrong, and that's just the anti-trend boy in me getting growly.

#52345 - 08/10/01 03:58 PM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

But Steve Buscemi is in it! And he already looks like a Dan Clowes character!

Nothing could keep me away from that film. I hope I'm not disappointed.

BTW, did anyone see the cameo from Ghost World's Bob Skeetes in the current issue of Love and Rockets? Fucking brilliant.

#52346 - 08/13/01 01:17 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Quote:
But Steve Buscemi is in it! And he already looks like a Dan Clowes character!

Nothing could keep me away from that film. I hope I'm not disappointed.

BTW, did anyone see the cameo from Ghost World's Bob Skeetes in the current issue of Love and Rockets? Fucking brilliant.

There's a new Love & Rockets out? And I missed it? Oy. Just shoot me now.

#52347 - 08/21/01 12:18 AM Re: Best comic books
sunflow
Ching Shih

Why has no one here mentioned Maus? I just read it for a class, and am appalled that I never even heard of it before. I already ran to my local library and checked out the sequel.

So far as I know, it's the only graphic novel to win the Pulitzer prize.

#52348 - 08/21/01 07:09 AM Re: Best comic books
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

I was surprised that no one mentioned Maus either, but I figured we were focusing more on superhero-ish or traditional types of comics. Maus is brilliant.

If we're talking about great comics in general, well then: I love Aline Kominsky-Crumb, Roberta Gregory, Julie Doucet, Lynda Barry, R. Crumb, Charles Burns, Art Spiegelman, Joe Matt, Seth, Leslie Sternbergh, Mary Fleener, Carol Tyler, Carol Lay...among others.

And I've not read a lot of Dan Clowes' work but I think now that I've seen (and enjoyed) Ghost World I will make an effort to check him out.

Old guy who rules: Winsor McKay.

#52349 - 08/21/01 02:40 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

One of my college history professors used to include Maus on her required reading list. Someone else on the faculty got into a snit about it (as did a parent or two): she basically told them it won a Pulitzer, so fuck you. Brilliant piece of work. Love Speigelman.

BTW, you can't go too wrong with Moebius, either.

#52350 - 08/21/01 04:37 PM Re: Best comic books
Chickie77
Gráinne ni Mhaille

"Ghost World" was great. A really good sense of humor combined with complete unpredictability. Thora Birch is my hero.

I dig the Sandman series, but my favorite short series ever is an offshoot of it using the Death character, "Death: The High Cost of Living." Chris Bachalo does the artwork, and he has a nice, clean style. Death doesn't look quite so much like Patti Smith in it.

Also, Johnen Vasquez (sp?) "Squee" series is twisted and fun as all hell. They turned his drawing style into a Nick cartoon called "Invader Zim," and it's the same style of subversive funny.

As far as the X-Men, what about picking it up at right after the Muir Island saga? The teams split into manageable portions, Peter David was writing X-Factor, and Jim Lee was still drawing X-Men. Anything before that can be gleaned off the "Ultimate" guides.

#52351 - 08/22/01 05:09 AM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

Quote:
There's a new Love & Rockets out? And I missed it? Oy. Just shoot me now.

John, you could probably still get a copy of it. It's only the second one of the new series, and as they're only coming out every five months or so I'd say each issue has a long shelf life. The current one is great - I'm a Xaime fan, mostly, but Beto's 'Julio's Day' series is lovely. And the Xaime story - about Maggie realising that she's become 'normal' and boring - is just brilliant (Bob Skeetes appears as a customer in the bar where Hopey works).

Oh, I second deborah's praise of Julie Doucet. I love her stuff. And I really like Dame Darcy as well.

#52352 - 08/22/01 01:53 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Quote:
John, you could probably still get a copy of it. It's only the second one of the new series, and as they're only coming out every five months or so I'd say each issue has a long shelf life. The current one is great - I'm a Xaime fan, mostly, but Beto's 'Julio's Day' series is lovely. And the Xaime story - about Maggie realising that she's become 'normal' and boring - is just brilliant (Bob Skeetes appears as a customer in the bar where Hopey works).

Yeah, and the guys at my shop are pretty cool about reorders and finding obscure stuff. (They grabbed up a bunch of copies of Mike Ploog's adaptation of L. Frank Baum's Life and Adventures of Santa Claus off a remainders list, so we got $25 books for like $8. woo!) I love Maggie and Hopey. Those stories rule.

#52353 - 10/06/01 05:08 PM Re: Best comic books
inkdot
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Canada

I'm big into X-Men. I like their new book, "Ultimate X-Men" although I've fallen behind of late. I was pretty upset when they stopped "Generation X". I really liked the characters, particularly Jubilee.

#52354 - 10/09/01 12:59 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

The Ultimate line of books from Marvel have been very nice. Kubert's been doing some nifty art on the X-title, and Bagley's doing his best work ever on the Spidey book. Personally, I think the Spidey book is just a touch better. It's sooo much fun to see a more active and updated Aunt May. They had this great bit in one of the last issues where she tries having a sex talk with Peter, and he gets sooo embarrassed... Beautiful.

Also, Mark Oakley just wrapped up his latest chapter in the spawling Thieves & Kings epic, and has collected another trade. He's got a nice offer going where if you order the first three, you get the fourth free. It's a fantastic book (as you may have noticed from my incessant plugging) and worth the money.

#52355 - 10/09/01 01:37 PM Re: Best comic books
chinchilla
Ching Shih

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA

Quote:
Also, Johnen Vasquez (sp?) "Squee" series is twisted and fun as all hell. They turned his drawing style into a Nick cartoon called "Invader Zim," and it's the same style of subversive funny.

Big fat word. Johnen also did a wonderful short series about a female artist called "I Feel Sick." Absolutely brilliant and always hysterically funny. The psychic woman who lives downstairs is always yelling thru the ceiling, "Die in that car crash already!" Clever stuff, if you like the twisted sort of thing.

Another favorite that a friend turned me on to is "Kabuki" by David Mack. He combines watercolors, post-it notes, and any other thing you can think of in the non-linear comics he writes. Other writers fill in the gaps on characters like Scarab & Tigerlily with more traditional artwork but it all manages to blow me away. For a taste, check out noh tv , the website that gives a bit of background to the Kabuki world.

[This message has been edited by chinchilla (edited October 09, 2001).]

#52356 - 01/04/02 10:06 AM Re: Best comic books
mastvam
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Portland, OR

A dusty thread, but I couldn't resist posting after I saw the comments about Preacher. I ran into one of these "graphic novels" (compilation of about four comics) a while back and loved it. I have too many reading/entertainment addictions for my current budget, so I haven't sought out any more of these books yet, but I will eventually. Some of it was pretty disgusting, but not as bad as I got from the descriptions here, and it all fit in with the dark themes and evil ideas of the plot, so I had no problem with the, um, more intense elements of the story.

Maybe I just read a milder outing in this universe, though.

Also, if anyone is still interested in this topic, what do people thing about The Tick? We just got a few of these comics for Christmas, and I haven't had a chance to read them yet, but I remember from the last time that I ran into them that they run circles around the cartoon and the live action series that is currently running.

Wow I feel like a geek. My first post on this site and it's on the comics thread!

#52357 - 01/04/02 04:44 PM Re: Best comic books
badverb
Ching Shih

Loc: n'yawk

I heart The Tick. Especially after having grown up on the traditional Batman, Spiderman and Wonder Woman.

Other than that, y'all have covered all the superhero-type comics I like; I just wanted to put in a good word for Adrian Tomine, who rules and is a nice storyteller. The comic is called Optic Nerve.

#52358 - 01/04/02 04:55 PM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

Badverb, I too love Adrian Tomine. Have you read his story about being on Jane Pratt's talk show? Genius.

I have to say I kind of hate Preacher (apart from the Anne Rice piss-take one). My boyfriend said recently that Grant Morrison's idea of what's cool seems to be that of a 14 year old boy - gross mutilation, 'sexy bird with big gun' etc - and I agree. I mean, I thought Kill Your Boyfriend was really cool when I was about 18, but not quite so much anymore. His current work in the X-Men is okay though (um, Morrison's, not my boyfriend).

#52359 - 01/05/02 02:31 AM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

mastvam - Uh, which book was it? The gore-factor definitely increases as you go along. I just reread the series this week, oddly enough. I dunno, I agree with Bear that it's sort of juvenile... but I am too, so it's okay! I guess it's like watching a James Bond movie; completely ridiculous, but sometimes I'm in the mood to see heads explode. And there really is some great, funny dialogue.

The Tick is just great. It was actually one of the first comics I read, actually. It was one of those, "Comics? Oh come on...Okay, I'll look at it... heh. Ha ha. Bwah ha ha! Okay, gimee more! Now!"

#52360 - 01/07/02 09:39 PM Re: Best comic books
graceless
Ching Shih

Loc: Illinois

Probably the only comic book I have read is Ghost World. I haven't seen the film, but with Thora Birch and Scarlett J. ( I won't even attempt to spell her name correctly) I am sure to enjoy that as well. I related to it immensely.

#52361 - 01/08/02 03:27 PM Re: Best comic books
Minerva
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I, too, loved The Tick! It was my first exposure to a comic which wasn't in in the Sunday newspaper. From there, I progressed to Lenore, Milk and Cheese (although I must confess to feeling like a total punk whenever I read that one), and Bone. I always wanted to read the more traditional super-hero comics, but never knew where to start.

Lately I have take quite a liking to Japanese comics. The illustrations are so beautiful that even when the storylines leave me baffled, I still enjoy the comic. My current favorites are X/1999, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Revolutionary Girl Utena.

[This message has been edited by Minerva (edited January 08, 2002).]

#52362 - 01/09/02 02:33 AM Re: Best comic books
Nicosia
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Vancouver, BC

Lenore.

A dead eight year old and her adventures with small fuzzy animals.

It's cute and so disturbing.

#52363 - 01/09/02 03:54 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

I adore The Tick. (I don't enjoy the tv show as much, or the cartoon. They're good, but don't match the sheer insanity and ability to bring the funny that the comics did) The original comics are the best.

Night of a Million Zillion Ninjas.

hee.

"We are a hedge."

hee!

"Would you care to partake in my processed cheese products and machine urine?"
Heeheeheeheeheeheeheehee!

A friend of mine even joined M.O.A.V..

#52364 - 01/09/02 05:45 PM Re: Best comic books
WriterGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: once Atlanta, GA; now Brooklyn...

Hey, Jhonen Vasquez fans: does anyone remember a Squee issue with four pages within titled "Tickle Me Hellmo"? I had it posted outside my door my senior year in college, but I think I lost the photocopy while moving out. If anyone could tell me which issue that was so I could track it down and share its sick goodness with my beloved ones, I'd be grateful.

[Edited so I can go write "UBB, not HTML" on the board five hundred times.]

[This message has been edited by WriterGirl (edited January 09, 2002).]

#52365 - 01/16/02 01:18 AM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

If you want a "what to read" list, you might check out www.artbomb.net

I have some quibbles with the reviews (I don't think they give enough details for new readers) which I'll probably be beaten down for elsewhere. But it is a nice resource. Warren Ellis is one of the contributers, if that helps.

#52366 - 01/16/02 05:59 PM Re: Best comic books
chinchilla
Ching Shih

WriterGirl, it's included in the Squee's Wonderful Big Giant Book Of Unspeakable Horrors , which is kind of steep but worth the price to me. This site lists other issues as well but doesn't specify about the contents.
#52367 - 01/20/02 05:04 AM Re: Best comic books
fujikosmurf
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Anyone ever read Colleen Doran's A Distant Soil?

The storyline is crammed with about a dozen different genres, and it didn't hit a real stride until #13, but the art is some simply wonderful black and white stuff - a bit girly, but really intricate and well done.

Doran was pretty young when the story started (and I think it shows in the early issues) but it really developed quite well once they got into space. Interesting stuff.

I've been in a big comic lull since Sandman ended and Books of Magic changed writers, but this one has helped a bit. And I really can't tear myself away from the art.

#52368 - 01/20/02 06:11 AM Re: Best comic books
Ananda
Ching Shih

Loc: PA, US

I liked Preacher, but I felt sort of let down by it. Something in Dixie Fried that I kept hoping was a horrible mistake. And as you go on, the violence and gore seems to be "because I can" a bit. But I liked the characters, and the dynamic (up to a point.) I loved Amy, and I liked the story about Tulip and her father. It's worth reading, but I can definitely understand why someone might hate it.

I just started Bone over Christmas, and it's pretty adorable. Just a cute, creepy little fantasy.

#52369 - 01/23/02 01:47 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by fujikosmurf:
Anyone ever read Colleen Doran's A Distant Soil?

The storyline is crammed with about a dozen different genres, and it didn't hit a real stride until #13, but the art is some simply wonderful black and white stuff - a bit girly, but really intricate and well done.

Doran was pretty young when the story started (and I think it shows in the early issues) but it really developed quite well once they got into space. Interesting stuff.

I've been in a big comic lull since Sandman ended and Books of Magic changed writers, but this one has helped a bit. And I really can't tear myself away from the art.

Yep. I have most of them. (including a nifty Colleen Doran sketch, signed and numbered) It's really quite good, but she gets hurt with the irregular publishing sched. Consistancy is crucial for an indy (even if Image is doing your distribution) in building and sustaining readership, and she's struggled to do it.

I've been a little disappointed in the lack of development with some of the gang of earthlings she collected for the assualt; some of them are pretty vanilla and that's not great. However, most of the rest of the cast is well written, and the art is gorgeous.

Two more issues of Amelia Rules! came out, so now they're up to four. Whee! Now, if Kurt Busiek would just heal faster (I hear he got lead poisoning, and he hasn't been able to focus enough to write much) and we could get some more Astro City...

#52370 - 01/23/02 07:08 PM Re: Best comic books
Willow431
Ching Shih

Loc: New York

I just bought the first 3 Sandman books; I'm so excited! I got them from the college bookstore - apparently they're now offering an English comp class where the entire reading list is the Sandman series. I'm so jealous - when I took it, the most exciting course they had was Russian lit...
#52371 - 01/24/02 03:33 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by Willow431:
I just bought the first 3 Sandman books; I'm so excited! I got them from the college bookstore - apparently they're now offering an English comp class where the entire reading list is the Sandman series. I'm so jealous - when I took it, the most exciting course they had was Russian lit...

That's so cool. Nice to see the comics gettin' a little respect. Closest my school ever came was the history prof that had Maus on the reading list for one of the European History classes.

#52372 - 01/24/02 05:37 PM Re: Best comic books
Willow431
Ching Shih

Quote:
That's so cool. Nice to see the comics gettin' a little respect. Closest my school ever came was the history prof that had Maus on the reading list for one of the European History classes.

It's funny that you should mention Maus, because today I just noticed that it's one of the required books for another English comp class. I couldn't figure out what the theme of that course is, though, because none of the other books were comics or related to history. But apparently, we're big on comics here at the U of R...

#52373 - 01/26/02 02:25 AM Re: Best comic books
october
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Hope this wasn't mentioned earlier, 'cause I just skipped to the most recent post, but JohnConstantine, do you remember about, oh, 8 years ago when the Sandman story, 'Ramadan' won some sort of literary award, and they changed the rules so a comic book couldn't be nominated again?

I used to run a comic a comic warehouse, and was the nvy of my friends. My favourites are,

Mage
Love and Rockets
Hate
Naughty Bits
Elfquest (Oh, lay off)
Sandman
Hellblazer
Bone

I couldn't believe when an earlier poster mentioned, "Why I Hate Saturn". I got that when it originally came out. I love that book.

"Why did oyu drink an entire bottle of scotch? Oh, I forgot, you're a writer."

"I answered the door. It was beer. And Ricky."

I mentioned this in the 'Literary Namesakes' thread. My son's middle name is John, after John Constantine.

#52374 - 01/27/02 12:47 AM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

I believe you're thinking of A Midsummer Night's Dream, which won best short story at a World Fantasy Con, prompting a change to the rules.

It's just a convention award, though; fan popularity determines half the nominees. The rules change is still funny, though.

#52375 - 01/27/02 01:43 PM Re: Best comic books
october
Ching Shih

Damn. I'm dumb.
#52376 - 01/28/02 12:50 AM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

Oh no, you're not! I vaguely remembered it, and was bored enough to look it up, that's all.

(Being bored is often my secret to seeming clever.)

#52377 - 01/28/02 04:44 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Quote:
I believe you're thinking of A Midsummer Night's Dream, which won best short story at a World Fantasy Con, prompting a change to the rules.

It's just a convention award, though; fan popularity determines half the nominees. The rules change is still funny, though.

Strega's right. It's irritating that they chaged the rule, though. The Sandman story deserved it, and it wasn't just because of some pretty art. (Needless to say, it was some very pretty Charles Vess art)

Reminds me of when Garry Trudeau (Doonesbury) won a Pulitzer for Editorial Cartooning and the usual editorial cartoonists comdemned the committee for daring to select a satirical strip. Sometimes the categories should be stretched a little to recognize great work.

Anyway.

I'm buying comics this weekend. Should be a new Hunter: The Age of Magic and Hellblazer for me, at least. But I really want the new Thieves & Kings (write faster M'Oak!) and Barry Ween.

#52378 - 01/28/02 05:39 PM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

Quote:
Reminds me of when Garry Trudeau (Doonesbury) won a Pulitzer for Editorial Cartooning and the usual editorial cartoonists comdemned the committee for daring to select a satirical strip. Sometimes the categories should be stretched a little to recognize great work.

Didn't something similar happen with Bloom County and Breathed's coverage of vivisection?

#52379 - 01/29/02 04:13 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Quote:
[QUOTE]Didn't something similar happen with Bloom County and Breathed's coverage of vivisection?

Don't know. Don't recall the vivisection thing, but I bet it was priceless.

I miss Bloom County. Hell, I even kinda miss Outland, and that was a (very) pale substitute.

#52380 - 01/29/02 04:36 PM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

The vivisection issue was dealt with when Opus went to visit his mother who was supposedly being tortured by Mary Kay cosmetics. It was brilliant - it was really funny, but it was really sharp, and managed to both name a big bunch of companies who test(ed) stuff on animals and highlight the awfulness of those test - in a surprisingly effectivly comical way. Who can forget the Mary Kay commandos...
#52381 - 01/30/02 11:26 AM Re: Best comic books
october
Ching Shih

Strega Thanks, but if you've checked out the Stupid Injuries thread, you'll note that I am, in fact, dumb as a post. And usually falling over them.

Rumour has it that the Mary Kay storyline is what got Bloom County canned. Apparently, the company sued, hence the change to Outland. Keep in mind, my factual reporting on this board doesn't have a great history, so I could be full of shit.

Best Bloom County, ever;
Psst. Argh!
Psst. Argh!
"Rightguard a wee bit chilly this morning."

and,
"A boy and his penguin."
"A penguin and his boy."
"Two dips and a dad."

[This message has been edited by october (edited January 30, 2002).]

#52382 - 01/31/02 03:33 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

heh. Now I remember the vivisection storyline. Boy, where is the brain?

A great strip, period. How many others would have a tribute to someone like the late Michael Conrad and make it work? "Let's...be careful...out there."

Then there's the whole brain-switching of Steve Dallas...

#52383 - 02/02/02 03:33 PM Re: Best comic books
october
Ching Shih

Oh, shit, I know! A kinder, gentler more sensitive Steve Dallas. I completely preferred him as the skirt-chasing, frat boy of yore. So glad when he changed back.

"Sorority girls with small noses."
"Who told you my weakness?!"

Hee.

#52384 - 02/11/02 11:28 AM Re: Best comic books
DevilDoll
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Milwaukee WI USA

I don't think anyone mentioned these two "superhero" comics, but I confess that by the time I got to the end of the thread I may have forgotten.

As far as X-books, Exiles is a great book to pick up. You don't really need to know a ton of continuity, as the whole point of the book is to mess with the Marvelverse by bouncing the Exiles from one dimension to another.

It took me a long time to admit that I actually like a book written by Judd Winick, but there you have it. I laugh out loud every month.

On the other end of the spectrum is Alias, written by the Brian Michael Bendis. It's a superhero book, but it's not. It's part of Marvel's Max line, which is geared toward adult readers. Dark, doesn't drop anvils on your head to make a point, unfolding slowly. Great book

Both of these books are newer, still in single digits as far as issue numbers, so it wouldn't take much to catch up on back issues if you were so inclined.

#52385 - 02/11/02 05:12 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

DevilDoll, I'm lovin' Exiles too. Of course, I'm actually a fan of Judd Winick's. (His strip Frumpy the Clown was hilarious!) His Green Lantern is just ok, but Barry Ween is such nasty fun.
#52386 - 02/11/02 06:33 PM Re: Best comic books
DevilDoll
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Milwaukee WI USA

*happy sigh* Exiles. Can't say enough good stuff about it. And it actually comes out on time. So it can be done. *looks pointedly at Ultimate X-Men*

As far as Judd Winick, my reluctance in mentioning his name stems from the fact that people who don't know how awesome he is tend to scoff. I've had to lobby hard for Exiles in some quarters, to the point where I automatically gird myself before mentioning his name, knowing that the skepticism is sure to follow.

So it makes me happy to see the first post following mine was not skeptical at all.

Just got my first taste of Barry Ween this morning, actually, in Wizard Edge. And went, "Crap! Another thing to spend money on!"

*wanders off to find Monkey Tales*

#52387 - 02/12/02 04:07 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by DevilDoll:
As far as Judd Winick, my reluctance in mentioning his name stems from the fact that people who don't know how awesome he is tend to scoff. I've had to lobby hard for Exiles in some quarters, to the point where I automatically gird myself before mentioning his name, knowing that the skepticism is sure to follow.

Believe me, I understand. I tell people, "I have proof something good can come out of MTV's The Real World", show them Exiles, Barry Ween, or Frumpy, and then explain that they're done by Judd, guy from the SF year who always seemed a little boring and whiny.

"Fuckin' with the wrong ten-year-old..."

#52388 - 03/02/02 08:13 PM Re: Best comic books
Willow431
Ching Shih

Y'all probably don't need this, but I found a great Sandman annotations site. I've found it really helpful as I read Sandman for the first time, because it keeps track of the characters and plots and explains all the allusions to other comics (which I haven't read), Greek mythology, fairy tales, etc. Gaiman certainly is well-read...

[This message has been edited by Willow431 (edited March 02, 2002).]

#52389 - 03/08/02 12:22 PM Re: Best comic books
Annie
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but The Ballad of Halo Jones is a great story. Alan Moore wrote it and Ian Gibson drew the series of three books (which you can now get in one volume). It was originally a story in 2000AD. I never liked much of the other stuff in that comic, but this "girl" story is marvellous.
Such attention to detail, a fully dimensional world and real characters.

It's my second pick after Love and Rockets. I love Maggie and Hopey

#52390 - 04/11/02 05:22 PM Re: Best comic books
shameless
Ching Shih

Loc: northampton, ma, usa

My cats names are Maggie and Hopey!
My husband and I are thinking of getting 2 more & can't think of a good duo pair but it will most likely come from comics or fiction. (He's a comic book author...)
I also like Luba (duh!), but am currently in love with Batgirl (oh, the spare dialogue, yum...), and Batman Detective.
I hate, hate, hate Neil Gaiman. Sorry.
Others I've tried recently are Hopeless Savages and Slow News Day, but I didn't really like them. Apex is amazing (a series about the life of bees). And for a while I was really into Zero Girl. Alias looks good though (nothing to do with the show). And though I used to like Dan Clowes when I was in college, the whole Ghost World thing has freaked me out a bit. Plus he hates Superheroes and the X-Men. What's up with that? Spiderman is a cutie-pie.

#52391 - 04/11/02 06:39 PM Re: Best comic books
sunflow
Ching Shih

Has anyone read anything by Daniel Clowes besides Ghost World? How does it compare?
#52392 - 04/12/02 05:17 AM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

Um, a lot of it is very different; basically, liking Ghost World is no guarantee of liking nay of his other stuff, most of which is very, very grotesque. Some of it is really funny, but while I love his drawing style, sometimes the sheer ickiness ('The Sensual Santa', anyone?) gets a little too much for me.
#52393 - 04/12/02 12:37 PM Re: Best comic books
sobell
Ching Shih

Loc: Alameda, CA, USA

Completely different comic-based query: anyone reading Earth X and Universe X from Marvel? Anyone?

Because I just finished them and boy, do I feel like I somehow missed the point. Anyone with a clue as to either of these, please have mercy and help meeeeeee! Help me to understand exactly what was going on in those two stories. Please?

[This message has been edited by sobell (edited April 12, 2002).]

#52394 - 04/12/02 02:54 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by sobell:
Completely different comic-based query: anyone reading Earth X and Universe X from Marvel? Anyone?

Because I just finished them and boy, do I feel like I somehow missed the point. Anyone with a clue as to either of these, please have mercy and help meeeeeee! Help me to understand exactly what was going on in those two stories. Please?

I gave up on Earth X after 6 issues. It just never clicked for me. Of course, they sold it like it was a Marvels/Kingdom Come kind of book and it...wasn't. I love Alex Ross, but he really should stick to painting and working with Kurt Busiek. I completely ignored Universe X, as I saw no indication it was going to grab me any more than the first one did. Sorry I can't help!

I am going comics shopping this weekend, though. Must...increase...geekiness...quotient!

#52395 - 04/12/02 05:09 PM Re: Best comic books
sobell
Ching Shih

JohnConstantine, thank you. I was in my local shop last weekend, doing my part to keep the place in business, and picked up both TPBs. I really was expecting another iteration of Kingdom Come, but it's just leaden.

So I'll still to the usual series: Lucifer (a Sandman spin-off that's surprisingly well-done), The New X-Men (because I love the new creative team), Green Arrow, Midnight Nation, Rising Stars, The Authority, Planetary, and The Monarchy.

Needless to say, I'm currently grooving on the titles that subvert the tights-n-flight genre. Any other suggestions?

#52396 - 04/13/02 10:25 PM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

sobell, are you reading Alan Moore's America's Best Comics stuff? Tomorrow Stories in particular is a collection of parodies/pastiches of Golden Age comic stereotypes. I think it's hysterical. It seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it title, but it looks like we have some reading in common (Lucifer, the JMS titles, & Planetary) so you might enjoy it.

And I'll ask you (and anyone else here) for opinions of The Authority and The Monarchy. I've been reading the Planetary collections as they come out, and I love them even though I don't get half of the references. The other titles keep tempting me, but I don't know much about them and tend to worry that they'll be too meta for me to appreciate. (I'm not even sure where I got that impression, actually.)

Since I went shopping today, I'll also mention that Greyshirt continues to impress me. I think I'm going to reread the 4 existing issues tonight because the plotting and continuity impresses the hell out of me.

#52397 - 04/15/02 12:03 PM Re: Best comic books
sobell
Ching Shih

So I had this long response typed out and then my browser crashed. There needs to be a word for that phenomenon.

Anyway --

Strega, I recommend buying the five StormWatch TPBs: Force of Nature, Lightning Strikes, A Finer World, Change or Die and Final Orbit. These will introduce you to the main characters of both The Authority and The Monarchy.

I love The Authority, but that's because I love how it twists the superhero conceit: the characters are unapologetic about asserting that their ability to save the world means they can dictate what a good world should be like. Plus, the series isn't afraid to kill people off, and when the writers re-introduce the dead, it's just to point out that such things are Not Good. I appreciate that. (mutter mutter Jean Grey mutter mutter Phoenix mutter mutter Madeline Pryor mutter mutter) There are two TPBs so far -- they're a good introduction. I personally get obsessive about series and whatnot, so I have the Authority/Planetary crossover TPB and the spinoff Jenny Sparks series as well.

Monarchy gets a bit meta for me in spots -- the premise is that the founders (Jackson King and Christine Trelane), who used to work with the members of the Authority back in Stormwatch days, don't like how the Authority's doing things. So the two books are indirectly presenting competitive paradigms for superhero obligations -- which can be cool, but Monarchy tends to dissolve into self-referential loop-de-loops sometimes.

And I'll check out your recommendations -- yippee!

[This message has been edited by sobell (edited April 16, 2002).]

#52398 - 04/15/02 02:23 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

sobell, if you haven't already, then Starman is a must-read. The series ended with #80, but damn if it wasn't a fine run.

I've been hearing really good things about Hellboy, and since it's Mignola art, I'll eventually get it.

The Thessaliad just finished up; some of Sean McManus' best work in years. One of the better Sandman spin-offs, IMHO.

I've enjoyed Green Arrow but the latest issue felt kinda off. It's like Kevin Smith suddenly realized, "Hey! I can make Black Canary be naked! Fan Boy dream achieved!" However, the new Big Bad is interesting.

#52399 - 04/16/02 11:06 AM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

Cool, now at least I know where to start. I'll check out the StormWatch books next time I'm shopping.

And I knew I was forgetting something: Enigma, which is out in TPB after many years. It's excellent. And definitely subversive, in quite a few ways.

#52400 - 04/16/02 03:14 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

One interesting Stormwatch note: they actually published #25 a year in advance. Now there's some time-travel for you! I wasn't thrilled with the result, once they caught themselves back up, but I give them credit for not backing away from it. A neat idea.
#52401 - 04/26/02 06:56 PM Re: Best comic books
LoolaLady
Ching Shih

I really want to read Daniel Clowes' Ghost World; it sounds like such a good comic.

A comic I used to like long ago but don't now is the Archie line. It's just so repetitive and stupid.

#52402 - 05/10/02 01:06 AM Re: Best comic books
essay
Ching Shih

I happened upon the work of Posy Simmonds in an English language bookstore in Paris last summer. This is not so much a comic as a graphic novel. It's called Gemma Bovery. It's a very absorbing update of Madame Bovary, but in this case 'Emma' is portrayed by a British woman who is part of the wave of Brits who have each bought up a little property in the French countryside. I read it all the way back on the plane and enjoyed it a lot. I was disappointed to find that Simmonds doesn't seem to have made it over here, because I'd like to keep up with her work...
#52403 - 05/10/02 06:36 PM Re: Best comic books
hispanic barbie
Ching Shih

Loc: Nashville TN

anyone else like Electra?

I was a bit disappointed to hear the Alias gal is going to play Electra in a movie. I don't care how great of a 'master of disguise' she is she's just not my idea of Electra

#52404 - 05/19/02 01:11 PM Re: Best comic books
evebackwards
Ching Shih

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i'm all about hothead paisan, johnny the homicidal maniac, and ghost world.
all this incriminating evidence
would surely haunt me
if someone broke into my house.

#52405 - 07/05/02 06:06 AM Re: Best comic books
lynda
Ching Shih

Loc: Voorhees, NJ USA

A really great comic that I read last month that is brand new is Fade from Blue..great characterizations of women...

You can find info at http://www.secondtosomestudios.com

The new one comes out soon I cant wait!

#52406 - 07/08/02 10:44 AM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

I'm a tiny bit behind, so I finally took a look at the Eisner Award nominees . I'm still catching up on winners from past years, so I can't offer much insight on the selections. I am surprised that Alan Moore wasn't nominated for anything this time, considering he was all over the list last year.

[This message has been edited by Strega (edited July 08, 2002).]

#52407 - 07/12/02 04:29 AM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

Speaking of Alan Moore reminds me how much I love Top Ten. I can't wait for the second book to come out in paperback, because the hardback is ridiculously expensive.

And I ahve to share my joy with my fellow bomics fans...guess who I'm interviewing next month?

NEIL GAIMAN! I am so, so excited and nervous. I was arranging another interview and asked the PR guy did they ahve anything else coming up soon. He said "yeah, there's this really interesting guy, his anme's neil Gaiman..."
Cue ear splitting screech from me.

Now I just have to chose what I dorkishly will bring him to sign...

#52408 - 07/12/02 04:40 AM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

Speaking of Alan Moore reminds me how much I love Top Ten. I can't wait for the second book to come out in paperback, because the hardback is ridiculously expensive.

And I ahve to share my joy with my fellow bomics fans...guess who I'm interviewing next month?

NEIL GAIMAN! I am so, so excited and nervous. I was arranging another interview and asked the PR guy did they ahve anything else coming up soon. He said "yeah, there's this really interesting guy, his anme's neil Gaiman..."
Cue ear splitting screech from me.

Now I just have to chose what I dorkishly will bring him to sign...

#52409 - 07/12/02 10:00 AM Re: Best comic books
Masha Moderator
Ching Shih

NEIL GAIMAN! Could you be any cooler, Bear?

So maybe this is when I should ask about diving in to the Sandman series. I've only recently discovered that I live two blocks away from one of the best comic shops in my city, but I'm afraid that I will be mocked (perhaps secretly rather than openly) if I start buying the graphic novels this late in the game. But that's silly, isn't it? They're classic comics literature, right? It's like buying Salinger, isn't it? It's a phase we all must go through, some later than others, right?

Uh, yeah, I'm a bit nervous about this.

#52410 - 07/12/02 03:50 PM Re: Best comic books
sobell
Ching Shih

Neil Gaiman? This is where I swoon like a seventh grader at an N'Sync concert. He's sooooo dreeeeeeeeamy.

Seriously -- I love his stuff, and his interviews always read like good fun, and his weblog cracks me up.

(I did meet him when he was doing book-signings, and had him sign my copy of Good Omens. He was some kind of tasty, too.)

And to answer Strega's post -- yeah, I was kind of surprised at the Eisner noms myself, but not being too comic insider-y, I can't tell if I'm surprised because my perception of the market is so narrow, or because the noms are surprising in general. I had that reaction when my Friends of Lulu voting ballot came in the mail too -- "Okay. I need to read more."

#52411 - 07/13/02 01:25 AM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

Bear, that is insanely cool. And no pressure or anything, but for the love of all that's holy, make him tell you who the mysterious Las Vegas God in American Gods is. And then tell me, because I'm tired of puzzling over it.

(Um, or is it common knowledge now? I stopped looking for info online a while ago, so I may have missed a revelation.)

Masha -- Yes, that's silly. (I mean that reassuringly, not mockingly.) Nobody'll blink at you, and you may well get compliments for buying them. Honest.

sobell -- Yeah, I'm vaguely aware of most of the nominees, from lurking at the Ellis forum, but like I said, I'm way behind. (I'm just now getting to Jimmy Corrigan.) The fact that the summary blurb says the choices were diverse makes me think it's unusual, but I dunno.

Ooo, you're a Friends of Lulu voter? Oooo.

#52412 - 07/15/02 10:53 PM Re: Best comic books
Lucrezia
Ching Shih

Loc: USA

Go for it, Masha. No one's going to look down on you for buying Sandman. And by the way, if you do find a good store (especially one near an El stop), please let me know. I spend nine months out of the year stranded in one of the northern suburbs, where the only shop actually is run by one of those rare but unpleasant fanboys who has a bad attitude and won't let you open the graphic novels until you've bought them. (Seriously, though, he's the one comic book store owner I've ever met that wasn't perfectly friendly and approachable. Most of them are really nice.)

And Bear? I've never been this shade of green before.

#52413 - 07/16/02 09:27 AM Re: Best comic books
Masha Moderator
Ching Shih

Lucrezia, I've been in to Chicago Comics exactly once, but they were nice enough. It's on Clark just north of Belmont, so the Belmont El station is just around the corner. A guy I work with also likes Graham Cracker Comics , which is farther down Clark (uh, around Wrightwood, maybe?), which is close enough to the Diversey and Fullerton stops. Maybe the next time you make it down to the city, you can be my comic Virgil?
#52414 - 07/16/02 02:34 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Bear's so excited, she posted twice. Hee. (I tease because I'm jealous)

Next time I see Neil, I'm going to ask him to sign my first edition copy of Angels & Visitations: A Miscellany, since I've already got autographs of my favorite two Sandman stories ("Three Septembers and a January" and the one about the wolves that I can't recall the title). (he said gloatingly)

Current rave-ups:

Spider-Man: Blue, by Loeb & Sale. A great look at the tragic romance of Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy. Beautiful book. Same team and style as Daredevil: Yellow.

Fables by Bill Willingham. Can't recall who's doing the art off the top of my head, but it's good. A Vertigo title taking a look at what happened to the fairy tales. The fables that survived live in Fabletown now, where a divorced Snow White runs the show on behalf of the King (Cole, as I recall), with Bigby B. Wolf as the Sherrif. darkly funny. Prince Charming as a con-man gigolo.

Thieves & Kings. I know, I know. I rave about it every time. But big stuff is starting to happen and Mark Oakley is really starting to let it rip. I can safely say I have no idea what he's going to do next, and I like it.

#52415 - 07/16/02 03:24 PM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

The first issue of Fables sold out, so DC has made it available for download . For free. So if you missed buying a copy, you can sample it, find out what you missed, and decide if you want to pay for the next issue.

I think that's brilliant, personally.

#52416 - 07/16/02 06:30 PM Re: Best comic books
Daegaer
Ching Shih

Oooh, oooh, Bear, please find out who that forgettable god is, so Strega and I can die happy! And why is he so forgettable? I've been obsessing over this since I read American Gods.

Oh, topic, right. I've read some Sandman and had a copy or two of Preacher pushed at me. Neither did much for me, it was pretty much a meh case. (Well, for Preacher it was ugh, meh). Seeing as everyone suggests Sandman, is there hope for me as a comics reader is it didn't do anything for me? I used to love Asterix, and always headed straight for Wormy and Yamara, which used to be printed in Dragon.

#52417 - 07/16/02 09:53 PM Re: Best comic books
Lucrezia
Ching Shih

Loc: USA

Masha, I can't think of anything I'd like better, but you'd have to wait a while -- I don't get back into town until the end of September.

And since you asked, Daegaer, I'll take this opportunity to plug two books I liked and which are very, very different from Sandman in style and content: Mail Order Bride by Mark Kalesniko and Box Office Poison by Alex Robinson. The former is about a Canadian comic book store owner and his Korean mail-order bride, and how neither of them gets what they expected (or wanted) out of their marriage; the latter is not only funny and well-written but also economical , since you get something like 600 pages (and one joke aobut Sandy Duncan) for $30.

#52418 - 07/17/02 02:35 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Daegaer, now you've got me seriously missing Snarfquest. *sigh* Come back, Larry Elmore! Come back!
#52419 - 07/19/02 03:30 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Snipped from Neil Gaiman's blog:

Quote:

Q:
1) London: Foyles is now adverising your upcoming Bloomsbury event in its window, which is nice. Any details on the content of this? Is there any chance you'll be reading the whole thing, or will it just be a chapter? And do you happen to know if it will be possible to buy there a copy of Coraline with Mckean's illustrations, or your reading on CD, or will we have to settle for What They Think People in the UK Want?

Thanks for your time.
Paul

1) I don't know. I think I'm being interviewed by someone-to-be-determined, and I'm sure there will be a reading but probably only 20 minutes of one. You could ask Foyles what the format of these things normally is.

If you're in the UK and you as an individual want a copy of the American edition of Coraline, American Gods , or whatever, you should probably buy it from an online bookseller like Amazon.com or B&N.com. (If you want a pre-signed copy try DreamHaven.)

The editions on sale in the UK will be the Bloomsbury editions -- which means Dawn French reading the book (which is pretty damn spiffy, you must admit) and the unillustrated book. Because of rights and territories and what have you, the US edition won't be sold in shops in the UK, any more than the UK edition will be in shops in the US.

Incidentally, there are really rather nice e-cards for the UK edition of Coraline out now here at the Bloomsbury site. I like the middle one best, but the one on the right is kind of strange.
(Neil)

Bear, is the "someone-to-be-determined" that Neil mentions you?

#52420 - 07/19/02 03:54 PM Re: Best comic books
sobell
Ching Shih

strega and JohnConstantine, I'm so glad you mentioned Fables. As it turns out, my local comics shop still had copies of #1, so I was able to get myself all caught up. So now I have another comic to read. Given that The Authority more or less wrapped up (they'll be doing one-shots) and Midnight Nation is done, I've been looking for a few good titles.

Also, for those who are big fans of the WildStorm Universe -- I picked up the new Stormwatch imprint yesterday. Good stuff -- a commando team that kills superheroes, as opposed to being superheroes themselves.

#52421 - 07/20/02 07:09 AM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

John, alas it is not me. I think that's a public event. I just get to talk to him all alone in a hotel room, heh heh.

Seriously, I am so excited about this interview. This man has been a hero of mine since I was 15. I keep wondering what I should ask him to sign....

And Daegaer, I think you might like Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen a lot. Small H and I are huge fnas of it! It's set at the end of the 19th century, and all of the characters are figures from sensational novels or stories of the time - so we've got Fu Manchu, Mr Hyde, Myecroft Holmes....It's absolutely wonderful. It's available in v. expensive hardback, but I know that Sub City on Wicklow street still have the original comics, which would be much, much cheaper.

#52422 - 07/21/02 06:00 PM Re: Best comic books
Daegaer
Ching Shih

Lucrezia and Bear, thanks for the suggestions! Alas, poor paycheque!
#52423 - 07/22/02 03:45 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Quote:
John, alas it is not me. I think that's a public event. I just get to talk to him all alone in a hotel room, heh heh.

Seriously, I am so excited about this interview. This man has been a hero of mine since I was 15. I keep wondering what I should ask him to sign....

See, now I'm forced to hate you for all eternity. *turns even greener with envy*

Have him sign something weird and obscure. Like The Life and Times of the Emperor Heliogopholis. Bet THAT would get a reaction.

#52424 - 07/24/02 04:39 PM Re: Best comic books
Daegaer
Ching Shih

I got issue 1 of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen today. It's really, really good, and I just may be a convert to the ways of comics. The shop only had nos. 1 and 6 though, which was sad. Still, I was told that it'll be re-printed in paperback in September, and also that Volume 2, issue 1 is out tomorrow!
#52425 - 07/25/02 05:29 AM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

Oh my God! I didn't know it was coming out today! I'm so happy! Right, off to Sub City....
#52426 - 09/07/02 04:39 PM Re: Best comic books
mithryll
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Quote:
Most bookstores seem to carry some of them, but not exactly a wide selection. I've found very few of the series mentioned here, and the ones I did find were far along in the series. I'm sort of a nut about always starting at the beginning, so that won't work for me.

I did order Sandman's Preludes and Nocturnes a couple of weeks ago, and haven't heard back from the store. Probably time to go harass them.

Don't wory about dealing with the comic book stores....I've had good and bad experiences. The good is probably when they just ignore you, the worst is when they suddenly realize a real live girl is in their presence! Just remember the comics are arranged to be easy to find -- alphabetically.

Sandman series is great -- and you can get all of them in graphic novel form from amazon. All of Gaiman's writing is amazing -- not just his comics.

X-men is VERY tricky. I read them for years -- starting back when there was only one or two titles. They lost me when they started introducing a new title almost every month. For one thing, it just got to be way too expensive. Now I'm back to only reading the Wolverine series.
The best suggestion I have for starting them is to look into the graphic novels first. They combine all the comics for a specific storyline, so you are sure to get all the parts. Then you can decide if you really want to get involved in the mess of the XMen universe.
Plus, the graphic novels are usually from the earlier years. The movie doesn't follow any real XMen storyline, and they really combined a bunch of characters so that they don't give a true representation -- like Rouge for one. But the earlier comics are closer to the movie than the present ones.
Anyway-- enough rambling!
Good Luck!

#52427 - 09/08/02 12:59 AM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

Quote:
Just remember the comics are arranged to be easy to find -- alphabetically.
In all the stores I've been to, they're sorted by publisher first, then title. Which is so damn insane that after ten years, I still can't believe it really works that way. [stifles rant] If you're lucky, you may find a display with selected titles arranged by author.

Comic buyers are used to it, but it is very off-putting to new buyers. Item #75 in "How comics are screwed up."

While I'm here, not that I'm anxious about it or anything, but Bear, did you get that Gaiman interview? Share!

#52428 - 09/11/02 07:34 AM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

Strega, I'm sorry, I should have shared earlier!

He was great. We had lunch together in a v. fancy hotel, so now I can say that I have driven around in a limo [i[and[/i] eaten caviar with Neil Gaiman! He was pretty cool, and very interesting. He also told me how to contact none other than Alan Moore (!!!!!) which is fucking amazing. I would say more, but I'm going to write an extended version of the interview for Chicklit, so you can read it all properly then rather than my rushed summary.

He mentioned his time in Dublin in his online journal at his website (it'd be around the 20th August). Glad he had fun!

By the way, Part Two of the second volume of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is out now. So soon! Hurray! And it's very, very good....

#52429 - 09/12/02 06:38 PM Re: Best comic books
Willow431
Ching Shih

I just got the new Aimee Mann CD, Lost in Space (excellent, by the way), and I love the artwork by Seth. Do any of you read his series Palooka-Ville ? It looks pretty cool.
#52430 - 10/10/02 05:33 AM Re: Best comic books
Daegaer
Ching Shih

Alas. I never used to read comics, then I made the mistake of having a look at this thread. And made it worse by going to the comic shop. Now I seem to be hooked on the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and 100 Bullets. There's also the very long and very expensive series Wolf and Cub which I'd really like to read, if I could get away with standing round in the shop "browsing" for several hours. So very weak...
#52431 - 02/03/04 02:12 PM Re: Best comic books
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

bumping for Deyrtyd
#52432 - 03/19/04 05:06 PM Re: Best comic books
melsy
Ching Shih

Have any of you ever read any of Osamu Tezuka's work?

A couple of years back I came across a five book series he did called Adolf that was absolutely brilliant -- follows the lives of three men named Adolf before, during and after WWII: Hitler (obviously), a young Jewish boy growing up in Japan and his German/Japanese best friend. The books span a rather long time period and involve numerous characters and subplots. Tezuka's art is amazing -- beautifully realistic yet stylized backgrounds and very cartoony characters.

Tezuka also wrote Metropolis, Astroboy, and The Jungle King (which was the inspiration for The Lion King).

A couple of days ago, I came across more of his stuff that I didn't even know existed. Apparently he wrote a multivolume graphic novel epic on the life of Buddha. I immediately ordered the first two volumes. Of course, now I am looking at my Visa bill and slapping my own hand for being such an impulse shopper.

Has anyone here read Kapilavastu or The Four Encounters and can tell me that all my hard earned money is being well spent?

#52433 - 04/02/04 05:01 PM Re: Best comic books
melsy
Ching Shih

Well, I got my Tezuka fix in the mail (yay for Amazon!)

The translation work is not the greatest -- some of the dialogue is pretty cheesy -- but it's certainly an interesting book. The 2nd volume was better than the first so I am looking forward to volumes 3 and 4.

#52434 - 04/08/04 05:49 PM Re: Best comic books
Frannie Glass
Ching Shih

Loc: San Diego

I haven't read either of the ones you asked about, but I loved Metropolis and Adolf... which is the one about Buddha? Might have to do some shopping of my own.... =)
#52435 - 04/13/04 04:31 AM Re: Best comic books
Lady Agnew
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA

Has anyone else read Fray? Joss Whedon's continuation of the Slayer mythology hundreds of years into the future. It's like the first season of Buffy, only in comic form. The run was eight issues and took forever to come out -- there were delays of a year and more -- but the entire book is collected in one volume . I love Melaka Fray, the futuristic Slayer, but the story's arc is not the complete story and from what I've read from various sources, Whedon is amenable to continuing the series but he hasn't said anything more encouraging.

I think I liked the series so much because it was so, so much like Buffy: the Vampire Slayer Year One.

#52436 - 05/13/04 03:15 PM Re: Best comic books
melsy
Ching Shih

Frannie Glass -- the first volume in the Tezuka Buddha series is called Kapilavastu, the second The Four Encounters, the third Devadatta and the fourth (which doesn't get released until June is The Forest of Uruvela. They're all available through amazon.com. I am hoping the later volumes will be better than the first two -- as I said, the translation work on this set is not fantastic. The books are interesting but certainly not on a par with Adolf or Metropolis.
#52437 - 05/24/04 03:54 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

For people that like Whedon, he's writing an X-title for Marvel for the next year. Astonishing X-Men, I believe. I looks pretty good. He seems to understand the history of the characters, and is looking to do something heroic with the book, rather than the dark, moody, anti-hero, psychodrama that's been the dominant paradigm recently.
#52438 - 05/24/04 06:49 PM Re: Best comic books
amateur
Ching Shih

Quote:
something heroic
Heroism in a superhero book... who knew? :p

I'm definitely curious about Astonishing... if it's the one that John Cassaday's illustrating, I've seen preview pages and they looked really good [except Emma Frost looks like the unholy spawn of Paris Hilton and Cameron Diaz].

#52439 - 03/10/06 04:21 PM Re: Best comic books
majael
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

Resurrecting this thread.

I collected comics for about a decade or so, from the early '80s to the early '90s. Mostly DC, but not exclusively. Some titles I regularly purchased, for nostalgia's sake:

Blue Devil
Atari Force (don't laugh--it was great!)
Legion of Super-Heroes
New Mutants
Sergio Aragones' "Groo the Wanderer"
Elfquest
All-Star Squadron
Infinity, Inc.
Booster Gold
Jonni Thunder a.k.a. Thunderbolt
Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld

Then in the early '90s, I stopped collecting comics. See, Teen Titans did this really long drawn-out storyline where they rearranged their entire roster over the space of a couple of years. Part of this included bringing in a whole bunch of uninteresting characters from the future. One month they decided to make some extra money this way: there'd be four versions of the Titans comic that month. The first half of the book would all be the same story; the second half would have origin stories for two of the new characters. So if you were a true collector, you'd buy four comics and get two-and-a-half comics worth of story. It was so obnoxious I stopped collecting right there (despite the fact that this cut me off from Sandman, Groo and Legion, all of which I missed terribly).

Almost ten years later, my Legion jones became unbearable and I started collecting it again. I've got a big hole to fill in terms of back issues, but I'm chipping away at it slowly. And then just recently I've been sucked into Infinite Crisis, and when that's done I can see myself getting things like 52 and Justice League. I'm going to have to work pretty hard at restraining myself from going nuts every week at the comic store.

#52440 - 06/20/06 09:45 AM Re: Best comic books
majael
Ching Shih

Women-in-comics-related websites I've been reading recently: When Fangirls Attack , which is run by these people , and Girl Wonder , a worthwhile endeavour. Any comic book fans around here could do a lot worse than checking out all these sites, if in fact you aren't doing so already.

Actually I've been reading a lot of comic-book-related blogs recently. Some are extremely insightful and some are hilarious and some are informative and some are two or three of those things. And there's no end to them, and they all link to each other, so you can just keep reading forever.

#52441 - 06/20/06 08:53 PM Re: Best comic books
eanja
Ching Shih

Loc: Boston, MA, USA

Majael, I have just spent the last two hours back-tracking links from the sites you mentioned, and I haven't got more than one entry back from the most recent in either one.

Thanks much for the links. I'm not sure I have anything to offer back, unless Girl Genius counts as a valid women in comics link.

#52442 - 06/20/06 10:38 PM Re: Best comic books
majael
Ching Shih

I don't see why it wouldn't. I'm a Foglio fan already, though. Ever read the novel Phil Foglio cowrote with Nick Pollotta - Illegal Aliens? Funny stuff.
#52443 - 06/23/06 03:39 PM Re: Best comic books
Teria
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by Joy:
An important tip for anyone getting into the Asterix world: originally, Asterix was written by Goscinny, and drawn by Uderzo. Then Uderzo died, and Goscinny started writing and drawing them, with a significant decline in quality.

So make sure whatever you buy doesn't just say "Goscinny and Uderzo's Asterix", but makes clear that the text is by Goscinny.
This was reaaally long ago but I want to add a small correction: It was René Goscinny who died. He was the guy who wrote most of the funny text. Uderzo did the brilliant drawings but his sense of humour is that of a dirty old man, and the newer Asterix issues are perfectly drawn but badly written. Not funny anymore at all.

But if any of you can get the early copies, I recommend them highly.

#52444 - 07/04/06 12:08 AM Re: Best comic books
SoleilSmile
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: San Francisco

Greetings, I'm new and I would like to add in addition to Elf Quest:

Kodocha by Miho Obana

Ranma 1/2

and Club 9.

Manga has a plethora of chick lit titles. I love 'em-love 'em-love 'em!

#91940 - 04/04/13 03:38 PM Re: Best comic books [Re: SoleilSmile]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

How have I never realized that this thread existed?! As if I didn't have enough to read already....

(mini-mart inspired me to go looking through old threads....)

I'm taking a MOOC on comic books and gender (more on that in another thread), so I'm reading Strangers in Paradise and Rachel Rising this week. I think this thread might help me flesh out my comics TBR list for "further reading" when this MOOC is over.

Page all of 14 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: