Page 1 of 14 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#52311 - 05/25/01 01:15 AM Best comic books
sunflow
Ching Shih

Loc: Brighton, UK

I'm getting in touch with my inner ten-year-old boy, and would like to read some good comic books. (Damn The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay. As if I didn't already spend too much money on books and music.)

The problem is, I have absolutely no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

#52312 - 06/02/01 10:25 AM Re: Best comic books
harper
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

well, i'm not sure that this is 10-year-old boy stuff, but the comics (i assume you're looking for graphic novel/traditional comic books info not bloom county/calvin & hobbes-type comics) i have been directed to by my comic-inclined friends are the neil gaiman sandman series (outstanding!) and the batman/dark knight books (i'm blanking on the author right now).
#52313 - 06/12/01 11:10 AM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

Loc: Maryland, USA

Without knowing what kind of stories you like...

Sandman is excellent fantasy/horror. It's also eleven volumes in all, which makes it a rather expensive experiment if you don't like it.

So, some single volume collections/graphic novels that you might try:
Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns -- Batman. 'Nuff said.
Kyle Baker's Why I Hate Saturn -- funny, and (compared to the rest of these) realistic.
Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen -- if you like Victorian lit, this is a riot.
James O'Barr's The Crow -- if you like being depressed.

#52314 - 06/13/01 03:49 AM Re: Best comic books
Joy
Ching Shih

Loc: London

I'd recommend anything by Miller (but particularly the Electra series, drawn by Sienkewicz (sp)), anything by Baker, anything by Alan Moore (particularly From Hell). I recently enjoyed Chris Ware's Jimmy Corrigan, which is just incredible.

If you like autobiographical comics, Lynda Barry is great. Twisted Sisters is an excellent anthology of women cartoonists, mostly autobiographical.

#52315 - 06/20/01 04:28 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Astro City by Kurt Busiek, Brent Eric Anderson, and Alex Ross is outstanding. They're basically trying to recpature the wonder and glory of old-time super-hero storytelling. Wonderful looks behind the mask

(edited to add more)

If you want Batman, I agree with Strega; Dark Knight is incredible. I'm also a big fan of Year One, also by Miller. If you want to go cheaper, you can find copies of The Killing Joke by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland for a nice price. Personally, I think it's the finest Joker story of them all. Miller's a god, though. You can't go too wrong with anything by him. I loved his Daredevil mini with John Romita Jr on the pencils.

Books of Magic is a beautifully drawn story (Bolton, Vess, Hampton, and Johnson), with a pretty nifty Gaiman story.

If you like magic and adventure, Thieves & Kings is at the top of my list. It's available in graphic novel format, but it's an ongoing series (Mark Oakley is the author and he puts them into trades every now and then). It's my favorite book out there. very complex, very different than just about anything else out there, I think.

[This message has been edited by JohnConstantine (edited June 21, 2001).]

#52316 - 07/10/01 01:24 PM Re: Best comic books
fullmoon
Ching Shih

Loc: Davis, CA, US

I can't believe someone hasn't mentioned Strangers in Paradise yet. It's somewhat different from the superhero/magical creature kinda thing (take love triangle and mingle it in with an evil female organization), but it's good stuff.
#52317 - 07/11/01 07:56 AM Re: Best comic books
Mistral
Ching Shih

The Asterix books! They might be kinda hard to find in the US, though. They're huge in Europe. About this little Gaulish villiage, the only one not taken over by the Romans. The only reason it hasn't been is because the druid (Getafix) brews a magic potion that conveys superhuman strength. Asterix is this little guy who drinks the potion. His sidekick is Obelix, who fell into a vat of it when he was a baby and doesn't need to drink it anymore. He's a menhir delivery man. Oh, I can't do them justice, but they're really funny and smart.
#52318 - 07/11/01 12:19 PM Re: Best comic books
Masha Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Hee! I remember my college French teacher trying to explain to us why Asterix is so cool. Something was obviously lost in the translation. Are they available in English? Wasn't there supposed to be a movie with Gerard Depardieu?

And playing the part of Stupid Girl today will be Masha: Where does one find these, ahem, graphic novels? Do regular bookstores have them hiding someplace, or do I have to brave the testosterone- and Stridex-reeking comic-book stores?

[This message has been edited by Masha (edited July 11, 2001).]

#52319 - 07/11/01 01:32 PM Re: Best comic books
sunflow
Ching Shih

Loc: Brighton, UK

Most bookstores seem to carry some of them, but not exactly a wide selection. I've found very few of the series mentioned here, and the ones I did find were far along in the series. I'm sort of a nut about always starting at the beginning, so that won't work for me.

I did order Sandman's Preludes and Nocturnes a couple of weeks ago, and haven't heard back from the store. Probably time to go harass them.

On a similar note, how does one get involved with a long-running series, like the X-Men? I hate to just start buying in the middle because I saw the movie and can figure out the rest of it. I'm a great believer in chronology. (Mainly because I just hate having any plot point spoiled.)

I think it may be time to brave the local comic book store and hope they aren't terribly condescending to a woman who has no idea what she is talking about (only in regard to the comics, of course).

#52320 - 07/11/01 10:23 PM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

Loc: Maryland, USA

Depending on the location, chains like Borders tend to have a shelf or two of the best-selling trade paperbacks & graphic novels. And you can certainly get some through Amazon & other online stores.

I wish I could tell you comic shops don't reek of testosterone and Stridex (heh). A lot of them don't -- I've had good luck and never run into the usual stereotypes, but I've heard plenty of horror stories.

To find a shop, try: www.the-master-list.com
There are some reviews of stores, submitted by customers -- although the list is huge, so the number that have reviews is still fairly small.

Edited to add: The X-Men is tricky, because there are multiple series set in the X-Men universe, with who knows how many writers. I've never read it, so I can't be much help. But I've gotten into a few comics by starting in the middle and then collecting the ones I'd missed -- comics tend to be more self-contained, so it's not as disconcerting as reading a novel by starting in the middle. It's more like watching a TV show; you can pick up the story, although you may not get some references.

[This message has been edited by Strega (edited July 11, 2001).]

Page 1 of 14 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: