Page 10 of 14 « First<89101112>Last »
Topic Options
#52401 - 04/26/02 06:56 PM Re: Best comic books
LoolaLady
Ching Shih

I really want to read Daniel Clowes' Ghost World; it sounds like such a good comic.

A comic I used to like long ago but don't now is the Archie line. It's just so repetitive and stupid.

#52402 - 05/10/02 01:06 AM Re: Best comic books
essay
Ching Shih

I happened upon the work of Posy Simmonds in an English language bookstore in Paris last summer. This is not so much a comic as a graphic novel. It's called Gemma Bovery. It's a very absorbing update of Madame Bovary, but in this case 'Emma' is portrayed by a British woman who is part of the wave of Brits who have each bought up a little property in the French countryside. I read it all the way back on the plane and enjoyed it a lot. I was disappointed to find that Simmonds doesn't seem to have made it over here, because I'd like to keep up with her work...
#52403 - 05/10/02 06:36 PM Re: Best comic books
hispanic barbie
Ching Shih

Loc: Nashville TN

anyone else like Electra?

I was a bit disappointed to hear the Alias gal is going to play Electra in a movie. I don't care how great of a 'master of disguise' she is she's just not my idea of Electra

#52404 - 05/19/02 01:11 PM Re: Best comic books
evebackwards
Ching Shih

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i'm all about hothead paisan, johnny the homicidal maniac, and ghost world.
all this incriminating evidence
would surely haunt me
if someone broke into my house.

#52405 - 07/05/02 06:06 AM Re: Best comic books
lynda
Ching Shih

Loc: Voorhees, NJ USA

A really great comic that I read last month that is brand new is Fade from Blue..great characterizations of women...

You can find info at http://www.secondtosomestudios.com

The new one comes out soon I cant wait!

#52406 - 07/08/02 10:44 AM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

Loc: Maryland, USA

I'm a tiny bit behind, so I finally took a look at the Eisner Award nominees . I'm still catching up on winners from past years, so I can't offer much insight on the selections. I am surprised that Alan Moore wasn't nominated for anything this time, considering he was all over the list last year.

[This message has been edited by Strega (edited July 08, 2002).]

#52407 - 07/12/02 04:29 AM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Speaking of Alan Moore reminds me how much I love Top Ten. I can't wait for the second book to come out in paperback, because the hardback is ridiculously expensive.

And I ahve to share my joy with my fellow bomics fans...guess who I'm interviewing next month?

NEIL GAIMAN! I am so, so excited and nervous. I was arranging another interview and asked the PR guy did they ahve anything else coming up soon. He said "yeah, there's this really interesting guy, his anme's neil Gaiman..."
Cue ear splitting screech from me.

Now I just have to chose what I dorkishly will bring him to sign...

#52408 - 07/12/02 04:40 AM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Speaking of Alan Moore reminds me how much I love Top Ten. I can't wait for the second book to come out in paperback, because the hardback is ridiculously expensive.

And I ahve to share my joy with my fellow bomics fans...guess who I'm interviewing next month?

NEIL GAIMAN! I am so, so excited and nervous. I was arranging another interview and asked the PR guy did they ahve anything else coming up soon. He said "yeah, there's this really interesting guy, his anme's neil Gaiman..."
Cue ear splitting screech from me.

Now I just have to chose what I dorkishly will bring him to sign...

#52409 - 07/12/02 10:00 AM Re: Best comic books
Masha Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

NEIL GAIMAN! Could you be any cooler, Bear?

So maybe this is when I should ask about diving in to the Sandman series. I've only recently discovered that I live two blocks away from one of the best comic shops in my city, but I'm afraid that I will be mocked (perhaps secretly rather than openly) if I start buying the graphic novels this late in the game. But that's silly, isn't it? They're classic comics literature, right? It's like buying Salinger, isn't it? It's a phase we all must go through, some later than others, right?

Uh, yeah, I'm a bit nervous about this.

#52410 - 07/12/02 03:50 PM Re: Best comic books
sobell
Ching Shih

Loc: Alameda, CA, USA

Neil Gaiman? This is where I swoon like a seventh grader at an N'Sync concert. He's sooooo dreeeeeeeeamy.

Seriously -- I love his stuff, and his interviews always read like good fun, and his weblog cracks me up.

(I did meet him when he was doing book-signings, and had him sign my copy of Good Omens. He was some kind of tasty, too.)

And to answer Strega's post -- yeah, I was kind of surprised at the Eisner noms myself, but not being too comic insider-y, I can't tell if I'm surprised because my perception of the market is so narrow, or because the noms are surprising in general. I had that reaction when my Friends of Lulu voting ballot came in the mail too -- "Okay. I need to read more."

Page 10 of 14 « First<89101112>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: