Page 11 of 14 « First<910111213>Last »
Topic Options
#52411 - 07/13/02 01:25 AM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

Loc: Maryland, USA

Bear, that is insanely cool. And no pressure or anything, but for the love of all that's holy, make him tell you who the mysterious Las Vegas God in American Gods is. And then tell me, because I'm tired of puzzling over it.

(Um, or is it common knowledge now? I stopped looking for info online a while ago, so I may have missed a revelation.)

Masha -- Yes, that's silly. (I mean that reassuringly, not mockingly.) Nobody'll blink at you, and you may well get compliments for buying them. Honest.

sobell -- Yeah, I'm vaguely aware of most of the nominees, from lurking at the Ellis forum, but like I said, I'm way behind. (I'm just now getting to Jimmy Corrigan.) The fact that the summary blurb says the choices were diverse makes me think it's unusual, but I dunno.

Ooo, you're a Friends of Lulu voter? Oooo.

#52412 - 07/15/02 10:53 PM Re: Best comic books
Lucrezia
Ching Shih

Loc: USA

Go for it, Masha. No one's going to look down on you for buying Sandman. And by the way, if you do find a good store (especially one near an El stop), please let me know. I spend nine months out of the year stranded in one of the northern suburbs, where the only shop actually is run by one of those rare but unpleasant fanboys who has a bad attitude and won't let you open the graphic novels until you've bought them. (Seriously, though, he's the one comic book store owner I've ever met that wasn't perfectly friendly and approachable. Most of them are really nice.)

And Bear? I've never been this shade of green before.

#52413 - 07/16/02 09:27 AM Re: Best comic books
Masha Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Lucrezia, I've been in to Chicago Comics exactly once, but they were nice enough. It's on Clark just north of Belmont, so the Belmont El station is just around the corner. A guy I work with also likes Graham Cracker Comics , which is farther down Clark (uh, around Wrightwood, maybe?), which is close enough to the Diversey and Fullerton stops. Maybe the next time you make it down to the city, you can be my comic Virgil?
#52414 - 07/16/02 02:34 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Bear's so excited, she posted twice. Hee. (I tease because I'm jealous)

Next time I see Neil, I'm going to ask him to sign my first edition copy of Angels & Visitations: A Miscellany, since I've already got autographs of my favorite two Sandman stories ("Three Septembers and a January" and the one about the wolves that I can't recall the title). (he said gloatingly)

Current rave-ups:

Spider-Man: Blue, by Loeb & Sale. A great look at the tragic romance of Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy. Beautiful book. Same team and style as Daredevil: Yellow.

Fables by Bill Willingham. Can't recall who's doing the art off the top of my head, but it's good. A Vertigo title taking a look at what happened to the fairy tales. The fables that survived live in Fabletown now, where a divorced Snow White runs the show on behalf of the King (Cole, as I recall), with Bigby B. Wolf as the Sherrif. darkly funny. Prince Charming as a con-man gigolo.

Thieves & Kings. I know, I know. I rave about it every time. But big stuff is starting to happen and Mark Oakley is really starting to let it rip. I can safely say I have no idea what he's going to do next, and I like it.

#52415 - 07/16/02 03:24 PM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

Loc: Maryland, USA

The first issue of Fables sold out, so DC has made it available for download . For free. So if you missed buying a copy, you can sample it, find out what you missed, and decide if you want to pay for the next issue.

I think that's brilliant, personally.

#52416 - 07/16/02 06:30 PM Re: Best comic books
Daegaer
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Oooh, oooh, Bear, please find out who that forgettable god is, so Strega and I can die happy! And why is he so forgettable? I've been obsessing over this since I read American Gods.

Oh, topic, right. I've read some Sandman and had a copy or two of Preacher pushed at me. Neither did much for me, it was pretty much a meh case. (Well, for Preacher it was ugh, meh). Seeing as everyone suggests Sandman, is there hope for me as a comics reader is it didn't do anything for me? I used to love Asterix, and always headed straight for Wormy and Yamara, which used to be printed in Dragon.

#52417 - 07/16/02 09:53 PM Re: Best comic books
Lucrezia
Ching Shih

Loc: USA

Masha, I can't think of anything I'd like better, but you'd have to wait a while -- I don't get back into town until the end of September.

And since you asked, Daegaer, I'll take this opportunity to plug two books I liked and which are very, very different from Sandman in style and content: Mail Order Bride by Mark Kalesniko and Box Office Poison by Alex Robinson. The former is about a Canadian comic book store owner and his Korean mail-order bride, and how neither of them gets what they expected (or wanted) out of their marriage; the latter is not only funny and well-written but also economical , since you get something like 600 pages (and one joke aobut Sandy Duncan) for $30.

#52418 - 07/17/02 02:35 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Daegaer, now you've got me seriously missing Snarfquest. *sigh* Come back, Larry Elmore! Come back!
#52419 - 07/19/02 03:30 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Snipped from Neil Gaiman's blog:

Quote:

Q:
1) London: Foyles is now adverising your upcoming Bloomsbury event in its window, which is nice. Any details on the content of this? Is there any chance you'll be reading the whole thing, or will it just be a chapter? And do you happen to know if it will be possible to buy there a copy of Coraline with Mckean's illustrations, or your reading on CD, or will we have to settle for What They Think People in the UK Want?

Thanks for your time.
Paul

1) I don't know. I think I'm being interviewed by someone-to-be-determined, and I'm sure there will be a reading but probably only 20 minutes of one. You could ask Foyles what the format of these things normally is.

If you're in the UK and you as an individual want a copy of the American edition of Coraline, American Gods , or whatever, you should probably buy it from an online bookseller like Amazon.com or B&N.com. (If you want a pre-signed copy try DreamHaven.)

The editions on sale in the UK will be the Bloomsbury editions -- which means Dawn French reading the book (which is pretty damn spiffy, you must admit) and the unillustrated book. Because of rights and territories and what have you, the US edition won't be sold in shops in the UK, any more than the UK edition will be in shops in the US.

Incidentally, there are really rather nice e-cards for the UK edition of Coraline out now here at the Bloomsbury site. I like the middle one best, but the one on the right is kind of strange.
(Neil)

Bear, is the "someone-to-be-determined" that Neil mentions you?

#52420 - 07/19/02 03:54 PM Re: Best comic books
sobell
Ching Shih

Loc: Alameda, CA, USA

strega and JohnConstantine, I'm so glad you mentioned Fables. As it turns out, my local comics shop still had copies of #1, so I was able to get myself all caught up. So now I have another comic to read. Given that The Authority more or less wrapped up (they'll be doing one-shots) and Midnight Nation is done, I've been looking for a few good titles.

Also, for those who are big fans of the WildStorm Universe -- I picked up the new Stormwatch imprint yesterday. Good stuff -- a commando team that kills superheroes, as opposed to being superheroes themselves.

Page 11 of 14 « First<910111213>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: