Page 12 of 14 « First<1011121314>
Topic Options
#52421 - 07/20/02 07:09 AM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

John, alas it is not me. I think that's a public event. I just get to talk to him all alone in a hotel room, heh heh.

Seriously, I am so excited about this interview. This man has been a hero of mine since I was 15. I keep wondering what I should ask him to sign....

And Daegaer, I think you might like Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen a lot. Small H and I are huge fnas of it! It's set at the end of the 19th century, and all of the characters are figures from sensational novels or stories of the time - so we've got Fu Manchu, Mr Hyde, Myecroft Holmes....It's absolutely wonderful. It's available in v. expensive hardback, but I know that Sub City on Wicklow street still have the original comics, which would be much, much cheaper.

#52422 - 07/21/02 06:00 PM Re: Best comic books
Daegaer
Ching Shih

Lucrezia and Bear, thanks for the suggestions! Alas, poor paycheque!
#52423 - 07/22/02 03:45 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Quote:
Originally posted by Bear:
John, alas it is not me. I think that's a public event. I just get to talk to him all alone in a hotel room, heh heh.

Seriously, I am so excited about this interview. This man has been a hero of mine since I was 15. I keep wondering what I should ask him to sign....

See, now I'm forced to hate you for all eternity. *turns even greener with envy*

Have him sign something weird and obscure. Like The Life and Times of the Emperor Heliogopholis. Bet THAT would get a reaction.

#52424 - 07/24/02 04:39 PM Re: Best comic books
Daegaer
Ching Shih

I got issue 1 of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen today. It's really, really good, and I just may be a convert to the ways of comics. The shop only had nos. 1 and 6 though, which was sad. Still, I was told that it'll be re-printed in paperback in September, and also that Volume 2, issue 1 is out tomorrow!
#52425 - 07/25/02 05:29 AM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

Oh my God! I didn't know it was coming out today! I'm so happy! Right, off to Sub City....
#52426 - 09/07/02 04:39 PM Re: Best comic books
mithryll
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Quote:
Originally posted by sunflow:
Most bookstores seem to carry some of them, but not exactly a wide selection. I've found very few of the series mentioned here, and the ones I did find were far along in the series. I'm sort of a nut about always starting at the beginning, so that won't work for me.

I did order Sandman's Preludes and Nocturnes a couple of weeks ago, and haven't heard back from the store. Probably time to go harass them.

On a similar note, how does one get involved with a long-running series, like the X-Men? I hate to just start buying in the middle because I saw the movie and can figure out the rest of it. I'm a great believer in chronology. (Mainly because I just hate having any plot point spoiled.)

I think it may be time to brave the local comic book store and hope they aren't terribly condescending to a woman who has no idea what she is talking about (only in regard to the comics, of course).

Don't wory about dealing with the comic book stores....I've had good and bad experiences. The good is probably when they just ignore you, the worst is when they suddenly realize a real live girl is in their presence! Just remember the comics are arranged to be easy to find -- alphabetically.

Sandman series is great -- and you can get all of them in graphic novel form from amazon. All of Gaiman's writing is amazing -- not just his comics.

X-men is VERY tricky. I read them for years -- starting back when there was only one or two titles. They lost me when they started introducing a new title almost every month. For one thing, it just got to be way too expensive. Now I'm back to only reading the Wolverine series.
The best suggestion I have for starting them is to look into the graphic novels first. They combine all the comics for a specific storyline, so you are sure to get all the parts. Then you can decide if you really want to get involved in the mess of the XMen universe.
Plus, the graphic novels are usually from the earlier years. The movie doesn't follow any real XMen storyline, and they really combined a bunch of characters so that they don't give a true representation -- like Rouge for one. But the earlier comics are closer to the movie than the present ones.
Anyway-- enough rambling!
Good Luck!

#52427 - 09/08/02 12:59 AM Re: Best comic books
Strega
Ching Shih

Loc: Maryland, USA

Quote:
Just remember the comics are arranged to be easy to find -- alphabetically.
In all the stores I've been to, they're sorted by publisher first, then title. Which is so damn insane that after ten years, I still can't believe it really works that way. [stifles rant] If you're lucky, you may find a display with selected titles arranged by author.

Comic buyers are used to it, but it is very off-putting to new buyers. Item #75 in "How comics are screwed up."

While I'm here, not that I'm anxious about it or anything, but Bear, did you get that Gaiman interview? Share!

#52428 - 09/11/02 07:34 AM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

Strega, I'm sorry, I should have shared earlier!

He was great. We had lunch together in a v. fancy hotel, so now I can say that I have driven around in a limo [i[and[/i] eaten caviar with Neil Gaiman! He was pretty cool, and very interesting. He also told me how to contact none other than Alan Moore (!!!!!) which is fucking amazing. I would say more, but I'm going to write an extended version of the interview for Chicklit, so you can read it all properly then rather than my rushed summary.

He mentioned his time in Dublin in his online journal at his website (it'd be around the 20th August). Glad he had fun!

By the way, Part Two of the second volume of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is out now. So soon! Hurray! And it's very, very good....

#52429 - 09/12/02 06:38 PM Re: Best comic books
Willow431
Ching Shih

Loc: New York

I just got the new Aimee Mann CD, Lost in Space (excellent, by the way), and I love the artwork by Seth. Do any of you read his series Palooka-Ville ? It looks pretty cool.
#52430 - 10/10/02 05:33 AM Re: Best comic books
Daegaer
Ching Shih

Alas. I never used to read comics, then I made the mistake of having a look at this thread. And made it worse by going to the comic shop. Now I seem to be hooked on the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and 100 Bullets. There's also the very long and very expensive series Wolf and Cub which I'd really like to read, if I could get away with standing round in the shop "browsing" for several hours. So very weak...
Page 12 of 14 « First<1011121314>

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: