FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

bumping for Deyrtyd
#52432 - 03/19/04 05:06 PM Re: Best comic books
melsy
Ching Shih

Loc: Canada

Have any of you ever read any of Osamu Tezuka's work?

A couple of years back I came across a five book series he did called Adolf that was absolutely brilliant -- follows the lives of three men named Adolf before, during and after WWII: Hitler (obviously), a young Jewish boy growing up in Japan and his German/Japanese best friend. The books span a rather long time period and involve numerous characters and subplots. Tezuka's art is amazing -- beautifully realistic yet stylized backgrounds and very cartoony characters.

Tezuka also wrote Metropolis, Astroboy, and The Jungle King (which was the inspiration for The Lion King).

A couple of days ago, I came across more of his stuff that I didn't even know existed. Apparently he wrote a multivolume graphic novel epic on the life of Buddha. I immediately ordered the first two volumes. Of course, now I am looking at my Visa bill and slapping my own hand for being such an impulse shopper.

Has anyone here read Kapilavastu or The Four Encounters and can tell me that all my hard earned money is being well spent?

#52433 - 04/02/04 05:01 PM Re: Best comic books
melsy
Ching Shih

Well, I got my Tezuka fix in the mail (yay for Amazon!)

The translation work is not the greatest -- some of the dialogue is pretty cheesy -- but it's certainly an interesting book. The 2nd volume was better than the first so I am looking forward to volumes 3 and 4.

#52434 - 04/08/04 05:49 PM Re: Best comic books
Frannie Glass
Ching Shih

Loc: San Diego

I haven't read either of the ones you asked about, but I loved Metropolis and Adolf... which is the one about Buddha? Might have to do some shopping of my own.... =)
#52435 - 04/13/04 04:31 AM Re: Best comic books
Lady Agnew
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA

Has anyone else read Fray? Joss Whedon's continuation of the Slayer mythology hundreds of years into the future. It's like the first season of Buffy, only in comic form. The run was eight issues and took forever to come out -- there were delays of a year and more -- but the entire book is collected in one volume . I love Melaka Fray, the futuristic Slayer, but the story's arc is not the complete story and from what I've read from various sources, Whedon is amenable to continuing the series but he hasn't said anything more encouraging.

I think I liked the series so much because it was so, so much like Buffy: the Vampire Slayer Year One.

#52436 - 05/13/04 03:15 PM Re: Best comic books
melsy
Ching Shih

Frannie Glass -- the first volume in the Tezuka Buddha series is called Kapilavastu, the second The Four Encounters, the third Devadatta and the fourth (which doesn't get released until June is The Forest of Uruvela. They're all available through amazon.com. I am hoping the later volumes will be better than the first two -- as I said, the translation work on this set is not fantastic. The books are interesting but certainly not on a par with Adolf or Metropolis.
#52437 - 05/24/04 03:54 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

For people that like Whedon, he's writing an X-title for Marvel for the next year. Astonishing X-Men, I believe. I looks pretty good. He seems to understand the history of the characters, and is looking to do something heroic with the book, rather than the dark, moody, anti-hero, psychodrama that's been the dominant paradigm recently.
#52438 - 05/24/04 06:49 PM Re: Best comic books
amateur
Ching Shih

Quote:
something heroic
Heroism in a superhero book... who knew? :p

I'm definitely curious about Astonishing... if it's the one that John Cassaday's illustrating, I've seen preview pages and they looked really good [except Emma Frost looks like the unholy spawn of Paris Hilton and Cameron Diaz].

#52439 - 03/10/06 04:21 PM Re: Best comic books
majael
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

Resurrecting this thread.

I collected comics for about a decade or so, from the early '80s to the early '90s. Mostly DC, but not exclusively. Some titles I regularly purchased, for nostalgia's sake:

Blue Devil
Atari Force (don't laugh--it was great!)
Legion of Super-Heroes
New Mutants
Sergio Aragones' "Groo the Wanderer"
Elfquest
All-Star Squadron
Infinity, Inc.
Booster Gold
Jonni Thunder a.k.a. Thunderbolt
Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld

Then in the early '90s, I stopped collecting comics. See, Teen Titans did this really long drawn-out storyline where they rearranged their entire roster over the space of a couple of years. Part of this included bringing in a whole bunch of uninteresting characters from the future. One month they decided to make some extra money this way: there'd be four versions of the Titans comic that month. The first half of the book would all be the same story; the second half would have origin stories for two of the new characters. So if you were a true collector, you'd buy four comics and get two-and-a-half comics worth of story. It was so obnoxious I stopped collecting right there (despite the fact that this cut me off from Sandman, Groo and Legion, all of which I missed terribly).

Almost ten years later, my Legion jones became unbearable and I started collecting it again. I've got a big hole to fill in terms of back issues, but I'm chipping away at it slowly. And then just recently I've been sucked into Infinite Crisis, and when that's done I can see myself getting things like 52 and Justice League. I'm going to have to work pretty hard at restraining myself from going nuts every week at the comic store.

#52440 - 06/20/06 09:45 AM Re: Best comic books
majael
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

Women-in-comics-related websites I've been reading recently: When Fangirls Attack , which is run by these people , and Girl Wonder , a worthwhile endeavour. Any comic book fans around here could do a lot worse than checking out all these sites, if in fact you aren't doing so already.

Actually I've been reading a lot of comic-book-related blogs recently. Some are extremely insightful and some are hilarious and some are informative and some are two or three of those things. And there's no end to them, and they all link to each other, so you can just keep reading forever.

Page 13 of 14 « First<1011121314>

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: