Page 4 of 14 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#52341 - 07/31/01 06:46 AM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
A Season of Mists is probably my favorite Sandman storyline. Creepy Kelley Jones art, a nasty little story, a bunch of old gods, and Lucifer's vengeance. (I actually turned that sucker into a short play, once upon a writing class...)

Hah, I ripped off one of the stories in Season of Mists too! I was about 16 at the time, and it was the one about the boy's boarding school. I still think that's one of the best, creepiest short stories I've ever read. And such a great ending...

#52342 - 07/31/01 11:37 AM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Quote:
Originally posted by Bear:
Hah, I ripped off one of the stories in Season of Mists too! I was about 16 at the time, and it was the one about the boy's boarding school. I still think that's one of the best, creepiest short stories I've ever read. And such a great ending...

hee! That was the story that I dumped from my script (hey, I had to slash and burn some stuff and pad out like crazy on the "A" story in some spots so it'd actually work!). It's a nifty, nasty story, though. Did you know Neil did some additional stories featuring the two dead boys? They made a major appearance as Dead Boy detectives in the Vertigo crossover thing "The Children's Crusade".

fullmoon, you're not alone. While I didn't dislike the art for The Kindly Ones, it was hardly my favorite period for the series.

Snacky, you're forgiven. I was a big fan of Silvestri's stuff, too. (especially the second chapter of his Brood Saga. Loved the little intros of the characters he and Claremont did as they were battling the Brood. "This is Colossus. He's as strong as he looks." *snap!* Only time there was a better scene of Colossus killing someone was during the Mutant Massacre, when he took out that spinning dork. yow!) I wonder why Silvestri doesn't draw anymore? Too busy with the business end of Top Cow? Shame.

#52343 - 08/10/01 12:47 PM Re: Best comic books
Pyewacket
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Mt. Vernon, WA, USA

I loved Ghost World. Funny, sad, heartbreaking, real. Has anyone seen the movie yet?
#52344 - 08/10/01 02:26 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyewacket:
I loved Ghost World. Funny, sad, heartbreaking, real. Has anyone seen the movie yet?

I've been reading all the raves about it, but there's just a touch of the "See how arty and cool I am?" about it that makes me a little leery. I hope I'm wrong, and that's just the anti-trend boy in me getting growly.

#52345 - 08/10/01 03:58 PM Re: Best comic books
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

But Steve Buscemi is in it! And he already looks like a Dan Clowes character!

Nothing could keep me away from that film. I hope I'm not disappointed.

BTW, did anyone see the cameo from Ghost World's Bob Skeetes in the current issue of Love and Rockets? Fucking brilliant.

#52346 - 08/13/01 01:17 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by Bear:
But Steve Buscemi is in it! And he already looks like a Dan Clowes character!

Nothing could keep me away from that film. I hope I'm not disappointed.

BTW, did anyone see the cameo from Ghost World's Bob Skeetes in the current issue of Love and Rockets? Fucking brilliant.

There's a new Love & Rockets out? And I missed it? Oy. Just shoot me now.

#52347 - 08/21/01 12:18 AM Re: Best comic books
sunflow
Ching Shih

Loc: Brighton, UK

Why has no one here mentioned Maus? I just read it for a class, and am appalled that I never even heard of it before. I already ran to my local library and checked out the sequel.

So far as I know, it's the only graphic novel to win the Pulitzer prize.

#52348 - 08/21/01 07:09 AM Re: Best comic books
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

I was surprised that no one mentioned Maus either, but I figured we were focusing more on superhero-ish or traditional types of comics. Maus is brilliant.

If we're talking about great comics in general, well then: I love Aline Kominsky-Crumb, Roberta Gregory, Julie Doucet, Lynda Barry, R. Crumb, Charles Burns, Art Spiegelman, Joe Matt, Seth, Leslie Sternbergh, Mary Fleener, Carol Tyler, Carol Lay...among others.

And I've not read a lot of Dan Clowes' work but I think now that I've seen (and enjoyed) Ghost World I will make an effort to check him out.

Old guy who rules: Winsor McKay.

#52349 - 08/21/01 02:40 PM Re: Best comic books
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

One of my college history professors used to include Maus on her required reading list. Someone else on the faculty got into a snit about it (as did a parent or two): she basically told them it won a Pulitzer, so fuck you. Brilliant piece of work. Love Speigelman.

BTW, you can't go too wrong with Moebius, either.

#52350 - 08/21/01 04:37 PM Re: Best comic books
Chickie77
Gráinne ni Mhaille

"Ghost World" was great. A really good sense of humor combined with complete unpredictability. Thora Birch is my hero.

I dig the Sandman series, but my favorite short series ever is an offshoot of it using the Death character, "Death: The High Cost of Living." Chris Bachalo does the artwork, and he has a nice, clean style. Death doesn't look quite so much like Patti Smith in it.

Also, Johnen Vasquez (sp?) "Squee" series is twisted and fun as all hell. They turned his drawing style into a Nick cartoon called "Invader Zim," and it's the same style of subversive funny.

As far as the X-Men, what about picking it up at right after the Muir Island saga? The teams split into manageable portions, Peter David was writing X-Factor, and Jim Lee was still drawing X-Men. Anything before that can be gleaned off the "Ultimate" guides.

Page 4 of 14 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: