Page all of 3 123>
Topic Options
#52572 - 11/10/00 09:04 AM Defunct periodicals you miss
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

The topic on music magazines reminded me that I miss a couple of scrappy little Canadian music/culture periodicals that were around back in the day: Graffiti and The Nerve.

And I miss Mary Emmerling's Country which, while similar in some ways to Martha Stewart Living, offered funkier, less prissy style and more achievable goals.

Sure do miss the good old Sassy, but that probably goes without saying.

I'm sure there are others I miss, but these come to mind at the moment. Which periodicals would you resurrect if you could?

[This message has been edited by deborah (edited November 10, 2000).]

#52573 - 11/10/00 11:23 AM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
Joy
Ching Shih

Loc: London

This is a bit of a sore spot. If I really really like a periodical, it dies. I miss Wig-Wag. I miss Might. I miss Modern Review. I miss The Idler (it's now got a digest format, and although I buy it, it doesn't quite work).

Oh, and The Nose. And National Lampoon! I started reading it in the few months before it died, and they were publishing some good stuff, including Kyle Baker and some other good cartoonists.

I'm sure there are more, but these are all I can think of right now.

#52574 - 11/10/00 02:08 PM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
della femina
Ching Shih

Loc: Birmingham, England

I miss Sassy and old-school Spy.
#52575 - 11/10/00 10:14 PM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

I've said it before, but here goes: Madison. I just can't believe it died. Broke my heart.
#52576 - 11/11/00 01:37 AM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
Sars
Ching Shih

Old "Sassy" and "Ben Is Dead."
#52577 - 11/13/00 05:31 AM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
Joy
Ching Shih

What ever happened to Spy? I used to read it, kept years of back issues, but it kept disappearing or going under or something. Whenever it came back, it wasn't as good ... Is it still being published at all? Did one of the main founders really go work for Vanity Fair?!?
#52578 - 11/13/00 05:37 AM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
della femina
Ching Shih

Loc: Birmingham, England

Graydon Carter is the editor of Vanity Fair, now, yep.
#52579 - 11/13/00 10:36 AM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
Julen
Ching Shih

Loc: Ashburn, VA, USA

Old School Spy! Yes.
#52580 - 11/13/00 12:14 PM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
ee-fah
Ching Shih

Does anyone remember Spare Rib?
#52581 - 11/13/00 01:06 PM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
Joy
Ching Shih

But Vanity Fair sucks, right? I tried to read it once or twice, and it seemed to be a big shiny pile of poo.

Oh, I hate magazines. Why can't they be fluffy without insulting me? Oh, now I really miss Modern Review. Lowbrow culture for highbrows indeed!

#52582 - 11/14/00 06:57 AM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Word on Might and of course old Sassy.

Anyone else miss Deadline? Oh, it was my dream magazine. Cool music stuff and great comic book art - it's where Tank Girl first appeared. It used to print Evan Dorkin as well, among loads of other cool folks. And the cover image was usually the subjects of the main rock interview as depicted by one of the comic artists. It folded when the Tank Girl film, um, tanked - it had invested all its money in it. Sniff. So sad.

[This message has been edited by Bear (edited November 14, 2000).]

#52583 - 11/14/00 03:14 PM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
Kalypso21
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Duh, Sassy!
And didn't George also go under? I used to read that sometimes. I said sometimes, people! Oh, stop your snickering.

#52584 - 11/15/00 02:47 PM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
idlewild
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada

Joy! I'm so glad someone else has not only heard of Wig-Wag, but misses it, too. I kept all of my issues for years, and last summer finally gave them all to a magazine-loving friend who could give them a better home than I could. Sigh.
#52585 - 11/16/00 05:52 AM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
Joy
Ching Shih

idlewild: I miss their letter-from-Springfield, their maps (drawn by readers), and the bizarre facts scattered throughout the magazine.

I thought of it as a New Yorker for younger people.

#52586 - 01/15/01 02:09 PM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
CompassRose
Ching Shih

Loc: Canada

I used to like the old Glamour, before it became the hideous Cosmo clone it is today. I still read the occasional Self for a literary chocolate fix, but Glamour had more meat to it, somehow.

Now it's all gasping italics and heaving silicones.

#52587 - 01/18/01 12:47 PM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
maggie
Ching Shih

I unearthed a bunch of copies of old school Spy in a box in my basement last year. I reread them and they're funny still, but not as hilariously as I originally found them. I think I was keeping them to mail to my sister in Australia because at the time, she couldn't find the mag there. Maybe I should put them up for sale on an auction site.

deborah, and any other Canadians "of a certain age" do you remember when The New Music was a magazine? I remember getting it in highschool and enjoying every single copy.

#52588 - 01/18/01 01:47 PM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

maggie, I don't remember that at all. Was it a free mag? I'm wondering what the distribution was like, since I never saw it back in Boringville.
#52589 - 01/18/01 06:02 PM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
GForce
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

Oh ya, Ben Is Dead. I have an old issue that has lived in my bathroom for years. Is that somehow creating a bad image?

I just got some copies of a magazine from the late 70's called "Plants Alive" that I wish was still in circulation. Only if it was still being made it would suck like most other gardening rags, so maybe not.

#52590 - 01/19/01 02:44 PM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
Stephanie
Ching Shih

Loc: Hopkins, MN

I miss Mirabella on my plane trips. I think it might have been aimed at older women, so it actually had interesting articles. Their cover women were women I admire, like Emma Thompson, Michelle Pfeiffer(sp?). They even had an interview with Germaine Greer!
#52591 - 01/23/01 07:56 PM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
tirol
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I vote for Vintage Sassy and Hues (Hear Us Emerging Sisters). I can't talk about Sassy without taking up too much room, but I'll tell you a bit about HUES. Aimed at older teens and young adults, it was truly multicultural and was started by twin sisters and a friend. It was like a young Ms. That's partly why I feel it failed; it didn't accept traditional advertising and couldn't generate enough subscriptions to stay alive. Even the website died shortly after print publication ceased.

Some things I remember are round table discussions between five or six women dealing with pre-marital sex, race issues, elections/politics, and much much more. A swimwear fashion shoot that included plus sized models. Concept cartoons and an essay about the real life Barbies the essay writer wanted to see. Articles about domestic violence, education, work and college life, etc. It wasn't ground breaking stuff, but very noticable in its absence from other magazines.

Also, I'm interested in magazine writing and the 'zine scene, and Hues' frankness about their struggle in starting the mag, finding financing and handling distribution was very educational to me.

[This message has been edited by tirol (edited January 23, 2001).]

#52592 - 01/24/01 01:51 PM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
maggie
Ching Shih

deborah, the New Music Magazine was free and it had great articles and photo essays. Sadly, when City started the TV show, the mag went away.
#52593 - 01/31/01 12:47 PM Re: Defunct periodicals you miss
CompassRose
Ching Shih

All these groovy alterna-mags, and I'm all conventional...

I was browsing yesterday for a low-fat brownie recipe, and remembered the magazine I REALLY miss: Shape Cooks. Everything I've ever made from those (and that's a lot of recipes) has been a hit. I think I'll bind my back issues.

Page all of 3 123>

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: