Page all of 19 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#53058 - 08/08/01 12:29 PM Read any good articles lately?
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

Even for a magazine junkie like me, there are simply too many periodicals out there for me to keep up even with all the worthwhile ones, never mind staying on top of the trash reading. ;-) Because I have a particular interest in non-fiction writing, I seek out well-written features and love to come across hidden gems between the pages.

I thought it might be useful to have a thread where we could refer each other to worthwhile articles in periodicals. Every once in a while I come across an article that's above average or even outstanding but which I don't necessarily have any place to tell people about. So I'm opening this up, and we'll see how it goes. Perhaps in addition to listing the pertinent details about the articles, we could include a short quoted passage from the articles, to give other readers a sense of what it's all about.

Some things I've read recently that I thought were worth mentioning:

Pagan Kennedy's article on "Boston marriages" called "So...Are You Two Together?" in the June/July 2001 issue of Ms. was really interesting to me, as I think the phenomenon she examines is rarely discussed or addressed. A "Boston marriage" describes a situation in which two women share a home and their lives, but are not sexually involved with each other. Yet they are much more than roommates or pals. They're not biding their time, waiting for husbands and suburban homes and Jeep Cherokees to come along; they're committed to making a life with each other. In the case of Kennedy and her partner Liz Canner, they both have, at times, meaningful, serious relationships with various men, but continue to prefer to live with each other, for numerous reasons, which she discusses in the article.

I like reading about alternative models for setting up one's life; while this one wouldn't necessarily suit me, I see its appeal, and I know lots of women that I do think would be suited to it.

She writes:

Quote:
According the U.S. Census Bureau, one out of four households in 1995 had only one member, a figure expected to rise sharply as the population ages. I see the future of single women and frankly, it depresses the hell out of me. We're isolating ourselves in condos and studio apartments. And why? Sometimes because we need to bask in solitude—and that's fine. But other times, it's because we're afraid to get too comfortable with our friends. What if you bought a house with your best friend, opened a bank account with her, raised a child? Where would your bedmate fit into the scheme? This is where the platonic marriage—for all its loveliness—may force you to make some difficult choices and rethink your ideas about commitment.

Also in the same issue: Debra Michals' article, "Did the Women's Museum Wimp Out?" which outlines her struggles as a feminist historian trying to keep the vision for the Women's Museum in Dallas from getting completely watered down.

Next up:

Cynthia Gorney's article in the August 2001 issue of Harper's Bazaar called "Having It All." She looks back on her life as a feminist trying to have it all: career and marriage and children. She's nearly fifty now so she fits perfectly into the Second Wave age group and I think she looks at some pretty painful truths with honesty and humour.

Quote:
The man I married is an excellent human being, a lawyer who represents blue-collar people who can't afford to pay very much, but he was born in 1946, and you will undoubtedly be less surprised than I was to learn what happened in the Father Pig department. You have heard this story a hundred times by now. The feminist dunderhead discovers to her amazement that she is insanely in love with her children, that this love wreaks havoc on her work life but not her husband's, that he doesn't take the paternity leave and doesn't know where the pediatrician's office is, that when he leaves town for work it's like bye honey back on Thursday, and when she leaves town for work it is a big, big deal involving multiple lists with schedules and the baby-sitter's phone number and the instructions on what to do after the barfing.

Did I hate this and relish it at the same time? You bet.

I had been under the impression that I wanted a New Man, the guy who would be as much a wife to me as I was to him, but what I fell in love with was Bill, who is unfortunately an actual person, with flaws. Unlike me, who would never engage in behavior as retrograde as, say, peering over my husband's right shoulder as he was attempting to cook dinner and murmuring, "Did you forget to snap the ends off the green beans again?" Who would never countenance some dark recess of the maternal psyche that liked knowing my absence went straight to my daughter's stomach.

Your turn...

[This message has been edited by deborah (edited August 08, 2001).]

#53059 - 08/20/01 10:04 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

deborah, I love this idea, and I wish I had some tidbit to contribute at the moment, but I must confess, the last three magazines I read were Jane, People and Us Weekly. Not much there, eh?
I will get back to you on this once I pick up a magazine with real content...

#53060 - 08/21/01 02:46 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

Note to self: get some chewy magazines... I've been reading Triathlete, Runner's World, Time, and Self. (All but Time would be book research.)

I will recommend Foreign Affairs as an excellent magazine. Seriously chewy political commentary. It's a bimonthly, and I have learned a TON about the rest of the world since I got a subscription. It's a good thing it only comes every other month, it takes me that long to get through it.

#53061 - 08/22/01 03:59 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Lady Agnew
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA

I really really liked this article in The Atlantic Monthly because I agree with the dude. About how current literary trends and prose are bad and uninteresting. And suck.

Quote:
Give me anything, in fact, as long as it doesn't have a recent prize jury's seal of approval on the front and a clutch of precious raves on the back. In the bookstore I'll sometimes sample what all the fuss is about, but one glance at the affected prose—"furious dabs of tulips stuttering," say, or "in the dark before the day yet was"—and I'm hightailing it to the friendly black spines of the Penguin Classics.

and the latest New Yorker is great--all about music and musicians. Articles on Jay-Z and P.J. Harvey, the best piano saleperson at Steinway, on Radiohead , what Kurt Cobain did for rock and roll , and Nick Hornby on the Billboard top 10 list . All good.

[This message has been edited by Lady Agnew (edited August 22, 2001).]

#53062 - 08/24/01 07:37 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Joy
Ching Shih

Loc: London

I recently enjoyed the Spring 2001 issue of Granta (Necessary Journeys), particularly a piece by Decca Aitkenhead about tourists in Thailand. Her portrayal of backpackers was horrifying and funny.

It also has pieces on the burial of Haile Sellasie, the Battle of Dunkirk, and the FBI files on James Baldwin.

#53063 - 11/20/01 12:34 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
miercoles
Ching Shih

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

This is an editorial, not an article, but this week's My Turn column in Newsweek is lovely. Jennifer Krause is a rabbi, and writes about the random people in her life -- the super, the repairman, etc. -- who've had an impact on her life.
 Quote:
They remind me that we are traveling not only with the people we have chosen but with the ones who turn up along the way. The repairman, Walter and Ali are part of my erev rav, and I am a part of theirs.

The best description of erev rav I could find was "mixed multitude" -- any Jewish chickliterati want to clarify that?

#53064 - 11/20/01 06:46 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

miercoles, thank you so much for that link. I loved this:

Quote:
Every time we talk I feel as if I have learned Torah—the wisdom of my own faith tradition—from a man who quotes the Quran.

This precisely encapsulates what I feel is the point of interfaith discussion.

A couple of links on erev rav:

This one seems to be a fairly hostile (and possibly marginal) perception.

Another perspective .

Some discussion here under the heading "Negative influence."

More exegesis starting under the heading Exodus 12:38.

(And I just found what seems to be an earlier and slightly different version of Krause's article here .)

[This message has been edited by deborah (edited November 20, 2001).]

#53065 - 11/20/01 11:27 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
slgorman
Ching Shih

Loc: Morgan Hill, CA, USA

I alway seem to find one surprising article in the Smithsonian Magazine I get every month. Usually I start out saying, "What do I care about _______?" but after reading the great articles I end up enjoying the trip all the same. That doesn't always work with Entertainment Weekly.
#53066 - 04/29/02 09:57 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
deputman
Ching Shih

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

My new issue of Bitch just arrived yesterday and what a pleasant surprise in their list of favorite things.

Want to send my congratulations to deborah and the contributors and moderators here at chicklit for their inclusion. Also to Sars for her much-derserved mention as well.

I've enjoyed the other articles I've read so far too of course but what a strange surprise to find myself in the know in an issue themed Insiders/Outsiders.

#53067 - 04/29/02 01:02 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Keckler
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA

There's a great article in the May issue of HEALTH that talks about how exercise can help with creative blocks. Sometimes all it can take is a ten-minute walk.
#53068 - 04/29/02 02:14 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
sobell
Ching Shih

Loc: Alameda, CA, USA

There's a thought-provoking article in this week's New York Times magazine on the construct of in loco parentis at universities, i.e. what level of responsibilty does an educational institution have for monitoring the well-being of its students?

The article centers around the lawsuit Shin v. MIT, but also touches on something I've read about elsewhere: the burnout that many people have going into college, and the way that spending one's life trying to get into an elite school can affect one's life once they're there.

#53069 - 04/29/02 03:35 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Quote:
My new issue of Bitch just arrived yesterday and what a pleasant surprise in their list of favorite things.
Want to send my congratulations to deborah and the contributors and moderators here at chicklit for their inclusion. Also to Sars for her much-derserved mention as well.

My issue of Bitch hasn't arrived yet. Is there an article about Chicklit in it?

#53070 - 04/29/02 03:52 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Ching Shih

On page 68 is "the bitch list, an annotated guide to some of our favorite things." Chicklit is there, as is Tomato Nation.

I quote:
 Quote:
Chicklit is a one-stop web extravaganza "for women who love words."

Re Tomato Nation:
 Quote:
I like to think of online diarist/advice columnist Sarah Bunting as a kind of new-style, tech-friendly Fran Lebowitz.

Ain't that just cool! The two sites were reviewed by different people.

#53071 - 04/29/02 11:22 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
deputman
Ching Shih

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

I forgot to mention above that there's another little article to interest deborah, some criticism of the handling of feminist issues on The West Wing on page 16.

And someone should mention to Wing that they imply they're starting a regular column to bitch about Jane on page 17.

Also of interest to chickliterati, an article on ethnic trends in publishing and and a look at the Oprah/Franzen uproar, with a spin I've not seen yet.

#53072 - 04/29/02 11:40 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
miercoles
Ching Shih

Right, that settles it, I'm picking up a copy of Bitch on my way to work tomorrow.
#53073 - 05/01/02 12:47 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Ching Shih

Do pick it up, it's a very good one. It's my bus reading this week, and I'm really enjoying it. The "ad" on the back is a hoot!
#53074 - 05/01/02 05:15 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

My copy of Bitch hasn't arrived yet, but...well done deborah! And Sars!
#53075 - 05/01/02 07:38 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Thanks for letting me know about this, everybody! I was lucky enough to find a copy today in a bookstore that doesn't usually seem to have it and I grabbed it and found the mention of Chicklit right away. Yay! (And Yay! Sars, too.)

Haven't had the chance to read anything else in it yet, but I'm sure it'll be good. It always is.

#53076 - 05/01/02 08:07 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
purplepants
Gráinne ni Mhaille

i just did a thesis on feminism and it's relationship to sexuality..so i appreciated this article.
http://www.popmatters.com/columns/stephens/020410.html

#53077 - 05/08/02 11:22 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Sars
Ching Shih

Belatedly -- thanks, guys!
#53078 - 05/09/02 11:42 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
SevenDeadly
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US...

Congratulations, deborah and Sars! No one deserves shout-outs more than you.

The best article I read in the last year was Samantha Power's "Bystanders to Genocide", in the September 2001 Atlantic Monthly. It's still available on their website. Power interviews most of the American diplomats, civil servants, and higher-ups involved in the decision not to intervene in the Rwanda genocide. She talks about all of the assumptions, ignorance, and misguided logic behind a tragedy that could have been easily prevented. It's an absolutely riveting article and the best piece of political journalism I've read in years.

I heard she's turned her work into a book on the US and genocides. Even more exciting, she's speaking at my college baccalaureate!

[This message has been edited by SevenDeadly (edited May 09, 2002).]

#53079 - 05/21/02 04:12 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I'm getting a (very) little caught up on some of my regular reading and caught this editorial over at the NY Times . One of the smarter commentaries on the crisis in the Catholic Church that's just boiling over right now.

Keller's conclusions on the relationship most American Catholics have with their church is increasingly accurrate, IMHO.

#53080 - 05/27/02 02:12 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Ria
Ching Shih

Loc: Massachusetts, USA

This is just... scary.
http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?020603fa_FACT

#53081 - 05/28/02 10:25 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
essay
Ching Shih

I was reading an offline copy of The Nation yesterday, and was pleased to come across this lucid and complex history of 'patriotism', and how many of the things we may associate with the most knee jerk styles actually originated with the left and concrns for diversity and social justice. Learned a lot from a short article. http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020603&s=dreier
#53082 - 05/30/02 03:04 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Ei
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Manchester, England

Read this if you want a really good excuse to forget dieting and be satisfied with your body: http://www.observer.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,722381,00.html
#53083 - 05/30/02 04:29 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
devilbrat1
Ching Shih

Loc: New York

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2066314
#53084 - 06/10/02 12:37 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
voiceofreason
Ching Shih

Loc: Brookline, MA, USA

I just read a (short) article in Slate, Xbox and the Meaning of Life about a very disturbing little commercial, which they link to in the article, but I'll also link to here: Xbox commercial . It's a UK ad, so maybe some of y'all have seen it on TV already. Watch the commercial before you read the article.

[This message has been edited by voiceofreason (edited June 10, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Masha (edited June 10, 2002).]

#53085 - 08/01/02 10:28 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

I've been meaning to get around to mentioning this while it's still on the stands: I thought William Langewiesche's piece on the World Trade Center attacks in the current issue of The Atlantic Monthly (called "American Ground: Unbuilding the World Trade Center"), was a very well-written and engrossing piece of journalism. He's deftly managed quite a lot of material. Langewiesche has worked as a commercial pilot, so has some insight into various technical aspects of the attacks; he was also given complete and unfettered access to people and sites, so he's able to report on things quite thoroughly. This article is actually the first of three that will be published in the magazine, and which will be published as a book later this year. This first part focuses on the recovery and cleanup effort.

You can read excerpts here . It's well worth buying the magazine for. I'm really looking forward to the next two parts.

Also, I wonder if I'm alone in loving lots of Malcolm Gladwell's articles in The New Yorker. That magazine always has some great writing, but I find myself really looking forward to his work. Two of the most recent, the one on the corporate culture at Enron and the dangers of smart, narcissistic employees, and the current one, on learning to read facial expressions, both fascinated me. I haven't read his book yet (The Tipping Point) but it's definitely on my list to read.

Also in a recent issue of The New Yorker, Katha Pollitt's article on learning to drive and the breakup of her relationship was a good read.

[This message has been edited by deborah (edited August 01, 2002).]

#53086 - 08/02/02 12:52 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
essay
Ching Shih

Deborah , this is so odd, but I noticed this thread again, and wondered, what good articles have I read lately that I could recommend? I thought, well, I could always mention that Malcolm Gladwell article I read in The New Yorker on my way home from work today. And then I scrolled down to your post. The one I just read is called 'The Naked Face' and is about learning to read facial expression. Very interesting. It's apparently not one of the articles they are making available on line yet, but it's in the issue dated August 5th.

The odd thing is that my attention to the New Yorker is very sporadic, and though I subscribe, I had to promise myself I wouldn't torment myself with unread issues if I did so. I haven't picked up on Malcolm Gladwell as a name of particular significance to me yet, but after this day's double whammy, I'll certainly be looking for him.

#53087 - 08/05/02 12:36 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Sars
Ching Shih

Last month's piece on the WTC clean-up in the Atlantic was outstanding also.
#53088 - 08/05/02 09:01 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Reni
Ching Shih

Oooh, I have to mention my Malcolm Gladwell disillusionment. For a long time I really enjoyed him - he's written some really fascinating New Yorker articles. (He has them archived online at www.gladwell.com.) But at some point I realized that all of his pieces follow the same basic pattern: A)It's natural to think X, and that's what everyone does think. B) But in fact X's opposite, while seemingly counterintuitive, is, surprisingly, actually true, for the following extremely compelling reasons. C)Extremely compelling reasons.

It's all very seductive, and makes for fun reading - you come out at the end thinking you're very smart for understanding the real story instead of the conventional wisdom. But I can't help thinking he simplifies things in order to fit them into this narrative.

I still read all his stuff, but I do it with much less pleasure and much more frustration than I used to. The sad thing is, I think he's a good and intelligent writer, but he's kind of gotten trapped in his crowd-pleasing formula.

Clearly, I've thought about this way too much.

[This message has been edited by Reni (edited August 05, 2002).]

#53089 - 08/06/02 12:24 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
essay
Ching Shih

Although not having read enough of Gladwell's articles to have any position on whether he is too formulaic, I don't think the 'Naked Face' article I just read really fits the mold, unless it's some kind of variant of Reni's model--for example,'most people don't pay a lot of attention to facial expressions, but there are a few people who do and they learn things the rest of us don't.'In this case, it's not that we think wrongly so much as that we don't think at all. Thanks for the archive post by the way--it might be fun to read some back articles this way.
#53090 - 08/06/02 08:36 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Reni
Ching Shih

Actually, I saw that one as, "You might think that intuitions about other people's facial expressions are just instinctive and can't be learned, but actually, science can allow any thick-headed clod to categorize and interpret microexpressions.

But I'm probably stretching. The previous one, about the 'talent myth' at McKinsey, fits the mold better. Yeah, read the archives - there are a few oldish articles about women's health issues that folks around here might find particularly interesting.

#53091 - 10/03/02 09:53 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

OK, if you're a Harry Potter fan like I am, this article will probably interest you. If you're not, but are interested in language and words, this article might still interest you.

Wizard Words: The Literary, Latin, and Lexical Origins of Harry Potter’s Vocabulary
You can read it online at www.verbatimmag.com. Go to 'back issues online' - it's in the Spring 2001 issue.

#53092 - 02/03/03 11:23 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
devilbrat1
Ching Shih

Michael Wolff wondering why people even work in the publishing industry.

I think he sounds a tad bitter.

#53093 - 02/03/03 03:28 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

Here\'s an article from SheThinks.org called A Reading List For Every Young Woman. Thought it might interest some of you. (I don't believe I have read a single book on this list.)
#53094 - 02/17/03 11:35 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

Sorry for the back-to-back posts. Just wanted to let people know that there is an interview with Wing Chun in the current (Winter 2002) issue of Bitch magazine.
#53095 - 02/18/03 06:37 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Anonymous Unregistered

There's an article on perceptions of the war on terror outside Washington and New York by Joan Didion in the Jan 16 issue of the New York Review of Books, called "Fixed Opinions or the Hinge of History." I can't seem to get the link to work - maybe you have to subscribe to read it. But it's really good.

New York Review of Books

#53096 - 02/28/03 07:53 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
TarynW
Ching Shih

Loc: Edinburgh

I just read this article about Anti-American sentiments in Canada in Maclean's Magazine, and I thought it was...edifying. If that's the right word.

Our Only Best Friends

#53097 - 02/28/03 12:40 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
studio1
Ching Shih

Loc: Canada

I enjoyed this article/column about introverts, being an introvert myself, I thought it was bang-on.

Caring for your Introvert

#53098 - 02/28/03 12:52 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
maggie
Ching Shih

Regarding the article Taryn linked to, I say a mighty, "Whatever." Nothing personal, Taryn.

That magazine ceased to be relevant AT LEAST 15 years ago, so y'know, I'm not surprised by the quality of the current writing. I wonder where author, L. Ian MacDonald has been living for my lifetime (38 years), because criticizing American government and foreign policy has been a Canadian national hobby for as long as I've been alive. However, just because I (and millions of others) criticize, that doesn't mean that I hate America or its people. I examine Canada and every other country in the world the same way.

As a matter of fact, I haven't heard as much America-bashing in the last year as I typically hear.

#53099 - 02/28/03 01:26 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
megancita
Ching Shih

Loc: texas, usa

Studio1: Thanks for posting the above link to the article on introverts. I always have to remind myself that it's ok to suck at small talk and feel the need to escape parties and such after an hour or so in order to recuperate alone.

This American Life had a funny peice a few weeks ago called "The Rundown," which was all about how to circumvent small talk entirely and instead go for the real nuggets of information you want to know about that person. That's totally my style of interaction, though I think others would call it nosy. Humph.

Thanks for the posting.

#53100 - 03/24/03 12:13 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
miercoles
Ching Shih

This is kind of short, but the NY Times had an interesting article about a woman who has taught literature in Iran and the U.S.
#53101 - 04/18/03 07:05 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
beastiegirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

An excellent commentary by Rick Salutin on the looting of Baghdad\'s National Museum.

I love Salutin, he's one of the few Globe columnists I don't want to punch on a regular basis.

I guess this probably won't bump this thread, but I just found an interesting interview with Tom Robbins , who apparently has a new book coming out. Some people may be offended by his views on Christianity/organized religion, but never having read an interview with him before, I thought this was kind of cool.

#53102 - 05/07/03 12:07 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
beastiegirl
Ching Shih

Okay, I'm sorry for the double post, but since I was the last one to post and that was in April, and I do want this thread to bump up...

An interesting article by Seymour Hersh on the clash between the Pentagon and the intelligence community . Hersh has been going after Rumsfeld quite a lot lately, and obviously has his own agenda, but it's an interesting perspective on American foreign policy which doesn't get covered much in other media (to my knowledge).

Crud. I am seriously the only person posting here right now. \:\)

Okay, well, this article in the Sydney Morning Herald is about a British survey on The Top 50 Female Authors . It was linked to on The Leaky Cauldron because J.K. Rowling appears on it a couple of times, but it's an interesting list. I printed it out so I can remember to read the stuff I haven't already.

#53103 - 06/05/03 12:33 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

Here is an interesting article about the slash genre, from Bitch magazine.
#53104 - 06/07/03 10:24 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Kasa
Ching Shih

Loc: Seattle

This is an interesting article on the stereotypical "magical negro" character in films. Thank goodness I'm not the only one who thought The Green Mile really was a load of crap.
#53105 - 06/09/03 03:27 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Kalamity
Ching Shih

Loc: DC Metro

From the Threepenny Review: Loved Janna Malamud Smith\'s discussion of her father, a writer, and how writers never die, even when they're dead.

Quote:
But unlike other people, deceased writers are dead and not-dead. The flesh rots and leaves behind the words. You read a page, and it is as if you have found some still animate piece of them broken off from the rest and in motion. It is disconcerting—at its worst lacking in propriety, like a voice of someone deceased kept too long on the answering machine; at its best providing a kind of eerie companionship. Mostly, it is what you imagined they always wanted. The inessential has evaporated; the mind’s glory remains.

#53106 - 06/11/03 09:43 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Kalamity
Ching Shih

Interesting article from Stanley Fish in the Chronicle of Higher Education regarding misappropriation of free speech and First Amendment protection on college campuses. I love it when someone completely illuminates an issue I thought I had settled!
#53107 - 06/12/03 12:25 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

I found this through Sara Ryan's blog: it's an article by Sara Paretseky. Truth, Lies and Duct Tape: Writing in an Age of Silence .
#53108 - 06/13/03 09:26 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
shameless
Ching Shih

Loc: northampton, ma, usa

I can't remember who wrote them or the names of the articles but the NYT magazine had a terrific piece on the Untouchables in India a few weeks back. If you happen to have it in a pile fetch it up and read it. It's predictably disturbing but so worth it.
The New Yorker also had a great and very long (!) piece on Gertrude Stein and Alice B Toklas... basically the piece questioned why the couple stayed in France during WW2... and how they managed to go on w/o a hitch. Really good stuff...
Marie Claire also has an article printed in the July issue about Bombay prostitutes (often under-age) that I haven't been able to persuade myself to read yet. It looks fairly upsetting so I have to prep myself for it....

#53109 - 06/16/03 08:34 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Kalamity
Ching Shih

Susan Sontag on literary translations and English as the international language: Babel Now .
#53110 - 06/22/03 06:19 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
graceless
Ching Shih

Loc: Illinois

I just finished reading an interesting article in the New York Times Sunday section entitled "After 'The Bell Jar,' Life Went On: A reunion of Mademoiselle's class of '53" which went on to talk about its star Sylvia Plath and a few other products of Mademoiselle's seminar.

I hope everyone can find it.

#53111 - 06/24/03 09:21 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

Anne Lamott was the commencement speaker at UC-Berkeley earlier this month.

Here is part of the slightly edited version of the speech she gave. (Subscribe to Salon or use the Free Day Pass to read the whole thing.)

#53112 - 06/25/03 09:30 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
hispanic barbie
Ching Shih

Loc: Nashville TN

I can't quite say that this was a good article, but I searched the threads for a similar topic and did not find one, so I am posting here- feel free to bump if needed.
wasp ken and I were browsing through the bookstore tonight and I finally saw the so critiqued Vanity Fair issue- the teen issue.
Let me first say that there is one subject in the spread who was born in 1977. This makes him 26. I forget his name because I was shocked that a 26 year old male can pass as a teen; I'm 29- do I get an almost teen pass? Wow, I hope so!
Then there were the numerous booty shots of 14 and 15 year old females. There was also a shot of Raven, formerly known as Raven Symone, aka Olivia, on the Cosby Show. She is alomst 18 yet her picture was from the mid-chest up. wasp ken jokingly said it was because the photographers knew they could get semi-porno shots of the underage girls, so why get one of the almost of age girl. I hate to agree, but I do.
Last point here- like I mentioned I am 29. I read that Hermione (yes, Emma Watson) was born in 1990. In 1990 I was a junior in high school and several girls I knew had babies that year. So technically I could be Hermione's mom. Scary.
Maybe that's why I am so against this spread.

#53113 - 07/01/03 11:30 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Kalamity
Ching Shih

From the June 14th Spectator, a lament on the demise of pure language.

Quote:
‘[English] becomes ugly and inaccurate because our thoughts are foolish, but the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts.’ [Orwell] pleads for a return to linguistic simplicity, letting ‘the meaning choose the words and not the other way round’.

#53114 - 07/01/03 11:34 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

Here is an article about Laurie Colwin and her work. I haven't read anything of hers, but I know she has some fans here so I thought I'd post it.

Edited to add this link to an article about a new book about Katherine Hepburn, which she didn't want published until after she had died.

#53115 - 07/02/03 11:03 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
LovelyPride
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I read a fantastic article in last weekend's Globe and Mail! It was a interview with four young authors and there were given the opportunity to debate every question among themselves before the interviewer moved on to the next question. It was like a printed version of a Chicklit Forum!
#53116 - 07/02/03 11:58 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

The article that LovelyPride mentioned, by Alison Gzowski, was in the Globe and Mail on Saturday, June 28, 2003, page R8. You can find it (for now, at least) online at the Globe by doing a site search for 'brand names'.
#53117 - 07/02/03 01:48 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
mollym
Ching Shih

I'm a little ambivalent about this site, as I think I've said here before, but this is a touching and encouraging article:
http://www.counterpunch.org/kaviner07022003.html

#53118 - 07/05/03 02:04 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
maggie
Ching Shih

I just read Laura Hillenbrand's article in the most recent New Yorker. It's about her battle with chronic fatigue syndrome. I don't think she is the best writer on earth (although maybe her book on Seabiscuit contains better writing than a magazine article), but I found that my 25-minute subway ride home flew by, due to the article.

I like to tell her to read Gabor Mate's book and then write a follow-up article with her impressions of the book. Not that I have read it yet, but I did at least buy a copy recently.

#53119 - 07/10/03 09:51 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
YesABibliophile
Ching Shih

Loc: Iowa

Did anyone catch the article in the June 30 2003 issue of NEWSWEEK? It's in the back, LAST WORD by Anna Quindlen. Title: "Bottom Line: Bogus" and she writes about what the great Cowboy in Office has done to our libraries and that his wife doesn't seem to get it.

I am insensible by my digust! Holler if you need a copy of the article or the link.

#53120 - 07/15/03 09:18 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

Here is an article about the chick-lit genre that I thought was interesting.
#53121 - 07/18/03 01:47 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
mollym
Ching Shih

It's not really an article, but if anybody's been following the career of Christopher Hitchens (from crazed Trotskyist to interesting left-wing journalist to crazed Bush hack), this piece by someone who has known him slightly for years is very interesting:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rozk/23897.html

#53122 - 07/18/03 01:59 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Catness
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

I read that article a few days ago, mollym, (I think I got there through mediawhoresonline.com) and found it fascinating and sad. I've followed Hitchens's career for a long time. No matter how much I may disagree with him (and there's a lot these days), I've always thought he was a damned good writer.
#53123 - 07/18/03 02:29 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
mollym
Ching Shih

Though I think as Hitchens' politics have moved closer to a certain American mainstream, his writing has noticeably deteriorated. Kaveney's point about the Dixie Chicks comment, that he wouldn't have stooped that low even ten years ago, is true, but also, it's just not funny or clever to call them fucking fat slags. His Iraq articles have just been intellectually flabby name-calling instead of arguments. He wrote a lot better when he disagreed with more people.
#53124 - 07/29/03 10:53 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
YesABibliophile
Ching Shih

Loc: Iowa

What are the factors in deciding a city area is literate-minded or not? Here's an interesting Op-Ed piece (L.A. Times) regarding the most recent reading survey (L.A. is 54 out of 100 in the line up in the survey of literacy).

Shelve This Reading

#53125 - 08/05/03 08:07 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
PrimulaMary
Ching Shih

Loc: London, UK

Interesting piece on a new Evelyn Waugh Anthology in Slate's book club series.

The anthology comprises Black Mischief (1932), Scoop (1938), The Loved One (1948), and The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold (1957).

#53126 - 08/06/03 01:57 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
voiceofreason
Ching Shih

Loc: Brookline, MA, USA

For all you linguistics fans, I heard an interesting piece on the radio this weekend ( here 's a link to an audio feed of the program -- scroll most of the way down to "Gender Writing") about a computer program that analyzes (English-language) writing and can determine (with about 80% accuracy) whether the writer was male or female. ( Here 's a link to a PDF of the scientific article about the program and research in question).
#53127 - 08/08/03 08:06 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
crumpet2
Ching Shih

The Australian

This is an article about the Vatican's upcoming report in favour of GM foods. All I can say is Holy Smokes!

#53128 - 08/08/03 01:12 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
maggie
Ching Shih

Hell's bells! The Vatican seriously needs to butt out of the GM food debate. Everyone I know here is incensed that the Pope and his minions are trying to influence Canadian same-sex marriage legislation. Hello?!? Ever hear of separation of church and state? Did the EU ask for the Vatican's position on GM food? Our government certainly didn't the Pope for his opinion of same-sex marriages yet a bishop went so far as to tell our Catholic PM that he'd be risking eternal damnation if he doesn't strike down the legislation.
#53129 - 08/10/03 07:35 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
crumpet2
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by maggie:
Did the EU ask for the Vatican's position on GM food?
Not certain, but I think the US may have.

#53130 - 08/10/03 09:23 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
carrotbat
Ching Shih

Quote:
Our government certainly didn't the Pope for his opinion of same-sex marriages yet a bishop went so far as to tell our Catholic PM that he'd be risking eternal damnation if he doesn't strike down the legislation.
Totally OT, but did Chretien have a good reply? A few years ago, someone at work told me (in all seriousness) that I had pretty much ruined my chances for a happy afterlife because I drank too much iced tea. I think I stammered out something like "Uh, it's a free country," which wasn't really relevant, but the only other response I could think of was stunned silence. I still can't come up with a reply that isn't rude (and can't figure out which religion would oppose iced tea to the extent that it's an automatic ticket to hell).

ETA: Thanks, Catness. I knew they frowned on caffeine, but I didn't think it was that serious. Maybe it depends on the individual. Note to self: offer alternatives to chocolate chip next time I bring cookies to work.

#53131 - 08/10/03 09:49 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Catness
Ching Shih

Mormon. No caffeine allowed. I'm not sure if it earns you a ticket to eternal damnation, but the Latter Day Saints I worked with sure watched each other for any little slip up on the caffeine, sugar, coffee, tobacco, and alcohol end of things.

Did anybody else read the article in today's NYT Magazine on Spain as the new vanguard of European cooking? It particularly focused on Chef Ferran Adrià. Mr Catness's last restaurant had hired a Spanish Chef just before Mr Catness left. The new dishes he brought to the menu, and the twists he put on old dishes were amazing. We've been big fans of Spanish food for years. The first night I visited when the new Chef was working, he brought out a poached half pear in a Merlot reduction as a gift for me. It was heavenly.

#53132 - 08/12/03 09:29 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
maggie
Ching Shih

carrotbat, one of Chrétien's flaks issued a statement saying that his first moral responsibility is to ensure equality for all people of Canada and that he was a member of the Catholic church second.
#53133 - 08/14/03 12:09 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Feroza R
Ching Shih

Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan

Has anyone else read the horrible piece on the last page of Maclean's this week? I have been grieving lately for Dr. Foth, but never more so than today.

Edited because I have had a response from the article's author and I am obviously an idiot .

#53134 - 08/19/03 02:31 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Helina
Ching Shih

Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I was just sent an entertaining article about Canada from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. It's from July but still available on their website: It\'s not just the weather that\'s cooler in Canada .

I can't believe the columnist was that surprised to find out that Canada didn't support the US in the war on Iraq. Here in Canada we certainly talked about it enough and there was endless discussion about how not supporting the US would affect the relationship between the two countries. I know Canadians pay way more attention to the US than vice versa but that level of ignorance seems hard to accept.

Edited to add that I know the columnist was exaggerating the point for the humour of it but it seemed to me that it wasn't all exaggeration; there was some genuine bewilderment too. Maybe not?

#53135 - 08/26/03 11:55 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
carrotbat
Ching Shih

From the Seattle P-I, an article about a comeback in the popularity of classic children\'s books
#53136 - 08/29/03 01:45 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
LuluIncognito
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Rochester, New York

About 90% of my conversation begins like this: "I read the most interesting thing at work today! Uh... but I forget the magazine... and... er... I'm not really sure what all the points were... But it was so cool!" (I'm one-half the Periodicals Department at a college library.)

At any rate, the current (Sep/Oct 03) issue of the Humanist has an excellent article outlining the argumant that
 Quote:
it is high time that the United States fully legalize same-sex marriages
I'd like to print it out on little flashcards to use during arguments!

#53137 - 08/30/03 02:45 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Si Wang Mu
Ching Shih

Loc: Victoria

Quote:
I was just sent an entertaining article about Canada from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. It's from July but still available on their website: It's not just the weather that's cooler in Canada.
The part about the mice in the attic building espresso machines was the most apt and funny metaphor I've heard in a while.

#53138 - 09/01/03 11:04 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
setara
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta/Canada

A friend sent me this article by ARUNDHATI ROY, the author of A God of Small Things. I thought it was timely, as the 40th anniversary of Martin Luther King’s famous “I Had a Dream” speech was just a few days ago, on August 28.
#53139 - 09/03/03 12:37 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

Here is an article about the 'white privilege'. Thought you might find it interesting.
#53140 - 09/17/03 10:21 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

This article about the "worst jobs in science" made me laugh out loud. (I suppose this post could be placed Science, Math, and Technology thread, but it's an article, so it's here.)

It's especially amusing that the icon for "Psychological Torture" is a picture of Barney.

#53141 - 09/25/03 01:14 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
mollym
Ching Shih

A touching tribute to Edward Said, who died last night, that also gives a sense of him as a person, not just a spokesperson or academic:

counterpunch homepage

I didn't love Orientalism, but I admire his political positions and how he presented them. A sad loss.

#53142 - 11/16/03 10:07 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
beastiegirl
Ching Shih

This looks like an interesting book. For anyone who doesn't want to register to read the article, it's an interview with Berkeley linguistics prof John McWhorter about his new book Doing Our Own Thing: The Degradation of Language and Music and Why We Should, Like, Care. He's talking about the fact that we (well, Americans, but I think that's his own limitation; it's not like they're the only ones at fault) don't make distinctions between the spoken and the written word anymore. I may put this on my Christmas list.
#53143 - 11/17/03 11:59 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Kalamity
Ching Shih

David Sexton has this to say about aspiring novelists:
 Quote:
Bad novelists all believe they are good novelists. In fact, almost everybody believes he or she might just be a good novelist, even if he or she hasn't got round to trying it yet. The delusion is just as common among intellectuals, successful businessmen and knowing journalists as among the more naive. It is very strange. Nobody would attempt to give a piano recital without having first learned to play the piano. People realise they cannot make a satisfactory chest of drawers, or even a serviceable cheeseboard, without having acquired some skill in carpentry. They know they are not competent as dentists or plumbers, if they have not had any experience or training. Yet they think that they can write a novel by some natural gift.

#53144 - 01/20/04 11:50 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
devilbrat1
Ching Shih

David Sexton wrote this article on literary weblogs.
#53145 - 01/20/04 10:12 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Anglaisepaon
Ching Shih

Loc: Texas

I recently read a really fascinating article in The Nation by Arthur Miller. It's called A Visit with Castro . You can read it here The Nation
#53146 - 01/22/04 08:24 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
heyalice
Ching Shih

I read an exhausting article in a December 2003 issue of the NEW YORKER about a couple who have for children three of whom are autistic. My nephew has Asperger's and if I didn't appreciate what she and my brother went through before, I do not. I can't explain just how physically drained I felt afterwards.
#53147 - 01/23/04 12:26 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

Here is an AP article about a program in Mexico that is trying to use books to "reducing crime and fostering a more hospitable atmosphere for millions of commuters."
#53148 - 01/29/04 12:22 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

Sorry to post back to back. Here are some are some articles I've read lately.

Where's the Canadian content in bookstores? This was by Ellen Roseman in The Toronto Star. She wonders why financial planning books by US authors (with US content such as 401(K)s, etc.) are being sold in Canada when they aren't relevant to the audience.
I\'m not sure how long the link will last.

Also, in the New York Times, an article about how misspelling in ads can lead to cash: Article here.

#53149 - 01/29/04 11:03 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Masha Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

The misspelling article is really funny. And true! I immediately went to eBay and found a $144 labtop computer, and some lovely Bananna Republic shoes.
#53150 - 02/02/04 05:10 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Ching Shih

Got this article from a Digital Eve mailing list, about the current US administration's driving off creativity and thought. It's more than that, hard to explain clearly while I'm still digesting it. Very good read, and really kind of depressing.

We're thinking of moving to Canada, Ireland, or New Zealand.

ETA the article's title is "Creative Class War: How the GOP's anti-elitism could ruin America's economy" which explains it much better than I did.

#53151 - 02/03/04 12:26 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by FishDreamer:
the article's title is "Creative Class War: How the GOP's anti-elitism could ruin America's economy"
Off-topic: And it talks about Peter Jackson!

Quasi on-topic: I already live in Canada, but if I lived in the States I would be thinking about leaving. This article was both eye-opening and depressing. Thanks for posting it, FishDreamer!

#53152 - 02/06/04 10:02 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Here's a very interesting article covering three recent books about Sappho and her work:

Lady of Lesbos

#53153 - 02/18/04 09:36 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
studio1
Ching Shih

Even though I think Dan Brown can be too smug at times, he wrote a great piece about second-hand bookstores. I now want to go to London, Ont.

In Praise of Second-Hand Bookstores

#53154 - 02/29/04 07:10 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
miercoles
Ching Shih

There's an article in the Atlantic Monthly about working mothers , and how they deal with their children. It's interesting, but I was annoyed at how the author bragged that she was a stay-at-home mom, but has a nanny and works at least part-time as a writer.
#53155 - 03/04/04 12:51 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

Here's an article from The Washington Post about "inappropriate" words and usage. Quite interesting, and [expletive]-ing funny.
#53156 - 03/04/04 01:53 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
devilbrat1
Ching Shih

Here's an article from The Guardian about Recommended Retail Pricing for books
#53157 - 03/04/04 03:56 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
ken_m
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by studio1:
Even though I think Dan Brown can be too smug at times, he wrote a great piece about second-hand bookstores. I now want to go to London, Ont.

In Praise of Second-Hand Bookstores
Is discussion permitted in this thread? Would anybody like to take on the letter to the editor posted with the above article that calls public libraries the "Napster of the hardcopy world"? On the one hand, I can sort of see the writer's point--no author is getting royalties from second hand book sales or library borrowers. On the other hand, there is a world of difference between reselling or lending something and making umpteen gazillion copies of that something for free and with no effort.

And on still a third hand, is this Cochrane person the Grinch, or what?

#53158 - 03/04/04 04:46 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

I was told recently (by a published author) that authors do get money from libraries, based on the number of people who take their books out.

But that's not really your point, is it? *slinks away*

#53159 - 03/04/04 06:15 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
miercoles
Ching Shih

It's been a long week, and I don't have the energy to argue with Mr./Ms. Cochrane (sidenote: is there a title to use when referring to someone if you don't know the gender?), but I found an article about online piracy that includes a long defense of libraries.
#53160 - 03/09/04 01:06 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Thanks to Gwen for including this link in her blog:

A language by women, for women

#53161 - 03/09/04 02:02 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
rocko9
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL

Here\'s a column by Anna Quindlen in Newsweek. She discusses her frustration with the assumption that liberals cannot also have faith in God.

#53162 - 03/11/04 01:32 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
wheelmaker
Ching Shih

Quote:
StephA: I was told recently (by a published author) that authors do get money from libraries, based on the number of people who take their books out.
I think that is true in the U.K. and maybe some other countries. It's not true in the U.S.A. though.

On topic, I got the spring Bust, and it's all about "freaks and geeks." There's an interesting interview with Tina Fey, and an aricle on librarians-- "Could they be the new 'it' girls?"

#53163 - 03/11/04 01:39 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Promethea
Ching Shih

It's not the case in the US? What a shame! I always enjoy reading the annual list of which authors get the most payout from libraries (it's a very small amount for each borrowing). It's usually Catherine Cookson, but Jacqueline Wilson has just beaten her: article
#53164 - 03/25/04 04:57 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
yerger224
Ching Shih

Loc: Buffalo, New York

the Nation (march 8, 2004 issue) has a great article called "The Junk Science of George W. Bush" by R.F.K Jr. It tracks the decimation of environmental standards in favor of big buisness.
for example, the EPA cut a deal with Syngentia of switzerland, maker of the pesticide ATRAZINE, to take over the study of its own product when federal studies yielded negative results, such as high cancer rates in exposed individuals. The pres. wants industry to monitor itself through "contractors" that of course will manipulate data to maintain corporate profits.
Less government is only necessary when big business is the benefactor. The greater population though needs the government to protect us from the homosexual agenda, janet jacksons breast and howard stern.
GOD BLESS THE NATION!!! (the magazine, not the landmass.)

#53165 - 03/25/04 08:42 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Lady Agnew
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA

A great New Yorker article about the realities of factory closures in a small Texas county. All the textile factories (Fruit of the Loom, Levis, etc.) closed shop to ship its manufacturing plants overseas, and the population is left rudder-less in the face of economic decline. It's not pretty.

And on a equally less pretty note, Orson Scott Card has a very ugly piece of editorial comment: Homosexual "Marriage" and Civilization . Also not pretty.

#53166 - 05/28/04 02:37 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Platinum
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, IE

I wouldn't so much call this an "article," but I couldn't figure out where else I could put it. It's Jon Stewart's commencement address for William & Mary:

http://www.wm.edu/news/index.php?id=3650

#53167 - 05/28/04 06:06 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
JetGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: NY, NY USA

Wow, Jon Stewart actually touched me deeply enough to make me cry. How embarrassing.
#53168 - 05/29/04 10:30 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

There's a very good, if extraordinarily depressing, article on the Israeli settlers in this week's New Yorker (5/31/04; it doesn't seem to be available online).
#53169 - 06/01/04 02:42 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
beastiegirl
Ching Shih

I couldn't even get through that Orson Scott Card piece. My dentist would not approve of all the teeth-grinding I was doing.

This is an interview with Geoffrey Wheatcroft, who wrote an interesting piece about Tony Blair in The Atlantic (unfortunately, the piece itself is only available to subscribers). He talks a good bit about what's in the article in this interview, however: about Blair's relationship with Bush and Clinton before him; the war in Iraq and the state of British politics in general. I was particularly struck by the information that his support for the war has garnered him very little in the way of favours from Washington.

Oh, and Canadians may be amused by the parallels between Blair and his Chancellor of the Exchequer and Jean Chretien and Paul Martin.

#53170 - 06/01/04 05:27 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Ria
Ching Shih

Loc: Massachusetts, USA

cat, the New Yorker articles usually go online a few days to a week after subscribers get their copies.
#53171 - 06/02/04 10:03 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
devilbrat1
Ching Shih

An interesting article on the adaptation of juvie books into films.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/feature_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000522651

#53172 - 07/08/04 03:17 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Platinum
Ching Shih

Scary. 89.9 million American adults didn't read a single book in 2002.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/07/08/reading.risk.ap/index.html

#53173 - 07/08/04 04:22 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Perhaps they think they can ride on the efforts of people like us.
#53174 - 07/08/04 05:50 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Catness
Ching Shih

Hee.

Mental Multivitamin had a good post on the same survey today.

#53175 - 07/10/04 09:26 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
kathel
Ching Shih

Loc: new york, ny

The New York Times Op-Ed page makes it official, but I always knew books were this important .
#53176 - 07/14/04 02:50 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
anna_karina
Ching Shih

Jesus. Is TV that mind-numbing? I like TV too, but I take a break from it to enjoy some quiet time.

I really liked the recent Vanity Fair articles. One about about French Muslims feeling ostracized and alone, and the other was about a grizzly bear expert who was killed by a bear last year.

Quote:
"I think what we're seeing is an enormous cultural shift from print media to electronic media, and the unintended consequences of that shift," Gioia said."
Very true, that's all I can say at this point.

#53177 - 07/20/04 03:30 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
candycanechild
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Jersey

Every article I read that's from Weird NJ I love.

#53178 - 07/20/04 04:35 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
LovelyPride
Ching Shih

I am a devoted reader of THIS Magazine. This Boat is My Boat had me both laughing and thinking at the same time.
#53179 - 08/08/04 06:54 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
anna_karina
Ching Shih

Quote:
But this is only one of several sports originated by various indigenous populations that have been corrupted and marketed as something fun to do when not sitting behind a desk in a high-rise office building.
My parents just went canoeing on a local harbour in town. I don't want to show this to them, as they enjoyed it and aren't the "ugly American" stereotypes, but it's still funny and sad.

#53180 - 08/08/04 08:40 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Si Wang Mu
Ching Shih

Loc: Victoria

LovelyPride, I agree THIS does have some great articles. Have you read The Walrus? I am always looking for good Canadian magazines, and I find there are many satisfying articles in that one too.
#53181 - 09/03/04 11:46 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
beastiegirl
Ching Shih

I don't think I've seen this in here before: it's a piece about fraud in the rare books world:

The Rare Books Detective

#53182 - 09/06/04 04:28 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
miercoles
Ching Shih

There was an interesting article in the New Yorker about how uninformed voters chose a candidate .
#53183 - 09/07/04 12:04 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
essay
Ching Shih

Thanks, Miercoles . At a discussion group I go to, someone was wondering aloud tonight about how the undecided voter can still be undecided. This article goes a long way toward explaining that phenomenon. I think I'll print it out for him.
#53184 - 09/07/04 07:12 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Promethea
Ching Shih

That's a really depressing article. I don't necessarily disagree with it, though it does veer towards the idea that many people are deeply stupid which is fairly patronising, but then again I think it is trying to say that they're just stupid about politics because they don't really care about it and aren't making any effort.
#53185 - 09/07/04 08:46 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
CaitlinM
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Beyond explaining how the undecided may decide, this article showed me some reasons why 50 percent of the eligible-to-vote population doesn't bother.
#53186 - 09/08/04 12:03 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
essay
Ching Shih

Today it was also making me think about how I make decisions of this type, and I have to say I didn't come out looking very well. I'd say the depth of my understanding is okay in some areas, but I realized that I am always being asked to vote on issues and people that I have a superficial grasp of at best. How much do I do to remedy that situation before I hit the polls,never mind anyone else? I think the idea that most people are not deeply political by nature would fit the bill in my case.
#53187 - 09/11/04 09:05 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
beastiegirl
Ching Shih

I guess this may be a bit old for American readers, but I only found this issue of Rolling Stone this week. One of the scariest fucking pieces I've read in a long time, about Dick Cheney\'s rise to power .
#53188 - 09/25/04 10:47 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
beastiegirl
Ching Shih

Sorry for the double post, but it has been a couple of weeks. In the September issue of Harper's there's a great essay by Lewis Lapham that I can't seem to find online about the conservative propaganda machine.

Quotage:
 Quote:
With the coming to power of the Reagan Administration most of the people on the podium or the tennis court were safely enclosed within the perimeters of orthodox opinion and government largess, and yet they persisted in casting themselves as rebels against "the system," revolutionary idealists being hunted down like dogs by a vicious and still active liberal prosecution.

#53189 - 01/05/05 02:44 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Ching Shih

I've been exploring the Powells website (where you can set up your independent bookstore wish list and let your friends buy presents for you from them instead of using Amazon), and ran across their Author Interviews page . Many, many interviews with some great authors, including Marjane Satrapi (who wrote Persepolis) and Christopher Moore.

I'll be reading that regularly. Great stuff!

#53190 - 01/14/05 01:24 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Exxie
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL

Not sure if this is quite the right thread, but Jessa from Bookslut got a nice little write up in the Chicago Tribune and Chicklit got a mention, too. Just wanted to share.
#53191 - 01/15/05 04:59 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
setara
Ching Shih

Here is an interview with Wangari Maathai, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Peace.
#53192 - 01/15/05 08:35 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Grass
Ching Shih

Loc: North America

Fishdreamer -- thanks for the info about that Powells site.
#53193 - 02/02/05 08:55 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

In the wake of that report about teenagers who don't care (or don't know) about the First Amendment, I was thrilled to see the link to this article from KidSpeakOnline. Sasha Mushegian, a high school junior from Kansas, wrote this incredibly intelligent and quite funny (at times) editorial for the Kansas Star.

She writes:
 Quote:
How can you expect children to mature if you don't expose them to books in which reality is messy and confusing, morals are not immediately clear, making the right decision requires analysis of subtleties, and characters make the wrong choices? How do you expect students to think for themselves if you never expose them to situations that are challenging and unfamiliar (yet still safely contained within the pages of a great work of literature)?
I laughed out loud when I saw this line:

Quote:
I doubt that the teenagers having promiscuous sex and using drugs are doing so because they read too much and have come across Chris Crutcher and Kate Chopin.
Ha!

Click here for the rest of Sasha\'s editorial

#53194 - 03/04/05 05:22 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
ides
Ching Shih

It's not an article as such but is an incredibly powerful, moving story. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/3/4/151715/5913
#53195 - 03/12/05 06:15 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Lunasea
Gráinne ni Mhaille

LaSalle, thanks for the link - what a wonderful article. At 15, she is already so wise!

I just read a great article in Utne magazine, originally printed in Lilith magazine, about how a group of teenage girls learn to love their bodies. Sad that it's such a radical and newsworthy concept, isn't it? They agree that their comfort with their bodies is due to their summer camp experience, where all the females, campers and counselors and staff alike, share one big, happy, communal shower.

http://www.utne.com/pub/2005_128/promo/11579-1.html

#53196 - 03/24/05 06:56 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
blueberry
Ching Shih

Loc: Jhb, RSA

I loved that article by the 15-year-old. Made me want to pick up a book immediately and read. Also made me want to start writing again, which I haven't done in ages. Amazing article, especially when you consider her age.

#53197 - 04/15/05 12:23 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Mingo Moll
Ching Shih

Loc: Washington, DC

I finished an article in the most recent Harper's about the strip mining of Appalachia. As a native of the region, I found the article both incredibly depressing and depressingly familiar. I think that Harper's doesn't let you access current articles, but once they send out the new issue, you should be able to access the article here .
#53198 - 04/28/05 10:12 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
cruegirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Broken Arrow, OK

This month's Razor (which is generally not my thing, being a "men's mag") has a "never before published" interview with the late Hunter S. Thompson. He talks about pretty much anything you'd want to ask him if it were you. It was really interesting.
#53199 - 04/29/05 12:02 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Platinum
Ching Shih

An article in the New York Times about a literary map of Manhattan. Where would the fictional New Yorkers have lived?
#53200 - 04/29/05 12:04 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

That is awesome. I love Randy Cohen's ethics column, too.
#53201 - 04/29/05 10:18 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
michelleb
Ching Shih

Loc: Brisbane, Australia

An article about Tariq Ali appeared in The Weekend Australian today.

He sounds like a very interesting man.Has anyone read any of his books?

#53202 - 04/30/05 06:03 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Sadly, I have not read any of his books, only articles. But Frink and I are going to hear him speak tonight in Toronto. We were actually invited by friends of his to have brunch with him tomorrow, but unfortunately it's not a non-smoking household, so I can't go. Which really sucks, but what can you do? Anyway, the friend who invited us to brunch recommended Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree very highly.
#53203 - 05/01/05 12:55 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
michelleb
Ching Shih

Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Thanks deborah , that's great. I am certainly going to check him out.
#53204 - 05/19/05 12:44 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
beastiegirl
Ching Shih

This was posted over at TINO but I thought it was worth linking to here as well; not an article, as such, but the transcript of a Bill Moyers speech on public broadcasting: http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0516-34.htm
#53205 - 07/04/05 11:25 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Catness
Ching Shih

A good article on business writing popped up on the AP this morning. Poor Writing Cost Taxpayers Millions
 Quote:
The commission, established by the College Board, drew attention with its first report in 2003. That outlined problems with how writing is taught in American schools and proposed remedies. The group's second report, last year, tried to drum up support for writing education by highlighting the value that business and industry leaders place on writing skills.

This year, the commission surveyed human resource directors who oversee nearly 2.7 million state government employees, and found writing skills even more important than in the private sector.

While two-thirds of companies surveyed in the 2004 report said writing was an important responsibility for workers, 100 percent of the 49 states responding to the anonymous survey said it was. More than 75 percent said they take writing skills into account when hiring.
I cannot even begin to describe what bad, unclear writing has done to screw up things in my workplace.

#53206 - 07/11/05 12:13 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
mollymauk
Ching Shih

Loc: san francisco, ca

This article, "How To Read a Book," had me cracking up out loud.

link

Edited to fix the link

#53207 - 07/11/05 01:20 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
moon_lemming
Ching Shih

Loc: virginia

Jonathan Yardley had an article in the Post about a week ago about Flannery O\'Connor that was both enjoyable and informative. It actually prompted me to start an author/book info binder for clippings related to those two subjects.

Most of y'all probably know everything Yardley shares already (I didn't know anything about O'Connor except that she was a southerner), but I still think it's a good quick read.

And I just found the Unicorn tapestries article that hooked me on the tapestries. It's great, especially as a starting point if you've never heard of the tapestries before. (It helps if you're a little bit of a math geek, too, probably.)

#53208 - 07/12/05 09:05 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
LovelyPride
Ching Shih

I just read a fantastic article in Alberta Views about the importance of exposing children to the natural world. It was called The Grizzly Bear and the Grade Twos and it was written by a Rocky Mountian trail guide who led a class of seven-year olds, their teacher and some parents on a hike. During the trip they came upon a grizzly bear and had an educational and harmless encounter.

Unfortunately, Alberta Views doesn't publish old articles on their website so I can't post a link.

#53209 - 07/13/05 06:30 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

moon_lemming, thank you for the link to that article about the Unicorn tapestries -- that was absolutely fascinating and really well-written. I wish I'd been able to read it before I saw the tapestries for the first time last year; I would have had an even greater appreciation for them than I did. Not that my appreciation was particularly lacking; I stood there admiring them and crying, while Frink wondered to himself about my sanity. (His aesthetic reactions tend not to be quite so extreme.)

Anyway. Great article.

#53210 - 07/14/05 10:36 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
moon_lemming
Ching Shih

Loc: virginia

Oh, good, I'm glad someone else enjoyed it, too.

I have promised myself that one day I will see the tapestries in person, and now I know that I will probably have to warn mr. lemming not to think I've gone mad. Just reading that little bit of their story was overwhelming, I can't imagine seeing them in person.

#53211 - 07/14/05 10:45 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

moon_lemming, they alone are worth the trip to New York. (And be sure to see the Cathedral of St. John the Divine while you're in town, too.)
#53212 - 07/19/05 09:48 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
GoblinShark2
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: D.C

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/18/national/18lakewood.html? About a mega-church in Texas. As someone who attends a meeting with no more then 40 other people the idea of religion as mass-market commodity is really interesting to me. Seeing things from the other side of the fence I guess.
#53213 - 07/25/05 11:55 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
piksea
Ching Shih

Loc: New Jersey

This is shameless self-promotion, but my book blog was actually mentioned in this piece in the New York Times on July 13.

I'm still not sure how I feel about it, because my politics are 180 degrees from the host site's and I'm not sure that the article is that flattering in general. On the other hand, how many times will I do something that gets mention in the NY Times? Also, the little blurb about me isn't not flattering and I got 3 times the traffic I've gotten for any other post.

#53214 - 08/09/05 03:09 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

Here's a really interesting article about women\'s magazines .

ETA: And one about a band that promotes literacy .

#53215 - 08/14/05 11:08 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
ainsley
Ching Shih

Loc: north carolina

This article from the LA Times, When You\'re Buried in Books , describes a phenomenon with which I suspect many of us are familiar: when books take over your household.

Credit for the find goes to amateur.

#53216 - 08/25/05 01:33 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
StephA
Ching Shih

Jessa from Bookslut talks about book covers that keep books from being read . Interesting article. (Now if only she'd stop calling it the "Toronto Globe and Mail".)

When you're done reading that, come talk about your book-cover experiences in this thread .

#53217 - 08/25/05 04:19 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
CaitlinM
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

There's a sort of related article in the New York Times about retooling a book jacket for Rick Moody's latest book that got early bad reaction.
#53218 - 09/09/05 03:13 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
blueberry
Ching Shih

I thought this article on the BBC World website on whether Islam and the West are compatible was fascinating. I especially enjoyed reading Aftab's section, though the article made me wonder, are they perhaps not perpetuating the stereotype that Islam is a religion that caters to men and is discriminatory towards women? That troubled me.

(ETA an apostrophe, but considering that apostrophes and I just don't seem to get along, forgive me if it's in the wrong place)

#53219 - 09/21/05 02:47 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
blueberry
Ching Shih

I read an article titled Lost In Translation on the BBC News website yesterday. It focuses on what the author terms "the American enthusiasm for euphemism", and also goes into how language differs in England and in the US. I found it quite interesting and thought it looked like something the Chickliterati may enjoy reading.

Edited to correct glaringly wrong spelling. Yipes! \:\)

#53220 - 09/21/05 04:16 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Promethea
Ching Shih

Oh, interesting. Do Americans really use 'quite' in that way? I've never noticed.
#53221 - 09/21/05 09:17 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Catness
Ching Shih

What? Do you mean as blueberry did in her post? Yep, we do.
#53222 - 09/21/05 01:35 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
dazey
Ching Shih

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

I sometimes use "quite" as Evans says in his article is typically American - "she's quite, quite mad", to mean "totally mad". But then I see it as a sort of old-fashionedly posh use of the word, and that fits in with what he says about the meanings having swapped sides of the Atlantic in the past.

As ever, the BBC article is followed by a flurry of people keen to take the opportunity to talk about how common or Northern people didn't ought to be allowed (or, for the kinder ones, didn't ought to be allowed to broadcast). Which is not at all what the article was about.

And sort of on-topically: I enjoyed this post at the LanguageLog linguistics blog, mocking grammar prescriptivists and including a cartoon.

#53223 - 09/28/05 07:30 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
blessures
Ching Shih

Loc: UK

I think I would see the repetition of "quite" to signify the "very", but on it's own I would almost always read it as "kind of". Um, except as a one word riposte.
People (me) shouldn't post unless they actually have a germane point, and preferably not contradict themselves within it.
Quite.

#53224 - 10/22/05 10:35 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
LovelyPride
Ching Shih

I just read Feminism for Sale in the may issue of This Magazine. It examines the reasons why the feminist movement is losing steam and why so many young women seem to be turning away from the politics while enjoying the freedoms that previous generations won for us.

I'm one of those young women who has always felt a little troubled by the present state of feminism. I support gender equality but when I look at second and third wave feminism I feel like I don't belong to either one. I don't support the victim mentality and 'blame men' philosophy of second wave and I'm comfortable with my sexuality but don't feel the need to prove it to everyone as third wave feminists make a point of doing. This article really addressed the underlying problem with feminism and I saw a lot of my concerns taken seriously. The writer didn't just dismiss women of my generation (I'm 29) as "ungrateful hypocrites" and that makes me hope that, eventually, there may just be a place in the gender equality struggle for me.

Sorry, I didn't mean to babble for so long.

#53225 - 10/23/05 01:21 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Kasa
Ching Shih

Loc: Seattle

This probably deserves its own topic, but I just had to respond a little to [b]LovelyPride[/i]. While I can't say that I've had the same experience with third wave feminism as you, I hear your sentiments about the second wave shared by a lot of people. I think it's important to remember that every "wave" is a product of it's time, and that the "victim mentality and 'blame men' philosophy" was pretty accurate at the time bc, well, a lot of men were assholes and sexism was pretty damn rampant. So of course you don't feel like you belong to second wave, bc you're from a completely different generation and grew up in an era radically different from the 60s and 70s.

Feminism is what you want it to be for you, I guarantee that wherever your personal politics fall, that there's a way into the struggle and feminists that feel the same way you do.

#53226 - 10/23/05 01:47 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
LovelyPride
Ching Shih

Quote:
Originally posted by Kasa:
Feminism is what you want it to be for you, I guarantee that wherever your personal politics fall, that there's a way into the struggle and feminists that feel the same way you do.
I'm sure you're right, Kasa. I didn't mean to threadjack, it was just the first time I had read an article that reflected my feelings about the current state of feminism.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. \:D

#53227 - 10/23/05 11:38 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Masha Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

It's been quiet lately, but we do have a thread on feminism(s) , if you'd like to continue the conversation.

It looks like an interesting article, LovelyPride. I'll be on the lookout for the magazine. LiP also had a recent article that addressed the current failings of feminism: "If Women Ruled the World, Nothing Would Be Different."

#53228 - 11/30/05 12:36 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
BlinkingMouse
Ching Shih

Loc: The biggest student room in th...

Found this article about good sex in writing interesting: The Times Good Sex Awards
#53229 - 01/09/06 10:23 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
SoIAmGlad
Ching Shih

Loc: Pennsylvania

The Language Log has an an article discussing the use of "they" with singular antecedents (something that has been drummed into my head as wrong, wrong, wrong). The author identifies several usages of it in Shakespeare, as well as the use of "they" when the gender of the antecedent is known. I'm partly persuaded.

Quote:
This use of they isn't ungrammatical, it isn't a mistake, it's a feature of ordinary English syntax that for some reason attracts the ire of particularly puristic pusillanimous pontificators, and we don't buy what they're selling.

#53230 - 08/02/06 12:08 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

The Globe and Mail discusses a study about grammar in IMs & text messages , and how it isn't as detrimental to formal English as one might think.
#53231 - 08/05/06 03:19 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
screamin
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I just wanted to recommend an article in September's Fantasy and Science Fiction; Dear Starbear: The Tiptree-LeGuin Letters. It's a printing of letters exchanged between Ursula K. LeGuin and James Tiptree, Jr, over a span of several years, covering the time before and until Tiptree revealed herself as Alice Sheldon. Since I admire both authors so, I was fascinated by the way they talked about writing, other writers, feminism, their own personal quirks, and their relationship.
#53232 - 08/05/06 05:41 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Ah...thanks for that recommendation, screamin. Julie Phillips, who wrote the article, is the author of James Tiptree, Jr: The Double Life Of Alice B. Sheldon --a book I am quite looking forward to reading! If you like that one, I recently read another related essay by Phillips in The James Tiptree Award Anthology 2, called Talking Too Much: About James Tiptree, Jr.
#53233 - 08/29/06 10:47 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

I just read this article on the NYTimes site about a new Hyperion imprint targeted to women. I was wondering what you all thought about the general idea, and about the execution as described in the article.

On the one hand, it seems like a good idea (in the same way that Persephone is a good idea). On the other hand, the list of books they are publishing and the "steering committee" they've chosen do not inspire me with the greatest confidence...

#53234 - 11/08/06 06:15 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

I read another cool NYTimes article today, about the OED, the Internet, and the accelerated development of neologisms.

I like the meta-discussion of language change, as well as the explanation of how the OED's procedures have changed as they create the online 3rd edition. I'm also fascinated by their view of the Internet as a collection of varied "backwaters" (in the sense of fairly insular communities isolated, in this case, by user interest) that are connected enough to the mainstream that a single click (say, linking a popular blog to a previously obscure blog) can bring a new word into widespread use.

#53235 - 11/09/06 10:05 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
ruad
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA

Thanks LaSalleUGirl! Great article. I'm a little taken aback that "Bada-bing" made the cut, but then I guess its usage of late warrants it.
#82496 - 04/09/07 01:10 PM Re: Read any good articles lately? [Re: ruad]
Betula
Ching Shih

Loc: Arlington, VA

Gene Weingarten at the Washington Post wrote a thought-provoking piece for the weekend magazine that's receiving a lot of (divided) attention. He set an incognito violinist Joshua Bell up in a corner of a busy D.C. Metro exit (and shopping/business concourse) to see if anyone would stop and listen.

Pearls Before Breakfast

Whether or not the experiment had a flawed premise or set-up, the article did make me stop and think for a good long while about my priorities, the kinds of things I take the time to stop and watch or listen to, and whether I too would have ignored a world-famous violinist playing out of context. Plus, Weingarten's a fantastic writer, especially when he puts on his serious hat.

Edited by Betula (04/09/07 01:12 PM)

#82497 - 04/09/07 04:09 PM Re: Read any good articles lately? [Re: Betula]
katydid
Ching Shih

Loc: DC USA

Betula, I read that this morning as well, and it really made me think. I used to take the Metro to work every day, and while I remember there being musicians outside the station, I never paid much attention to them. Even in cases when I thought the music was particularly beautiful, I always had somewhere to go, somewhere I was rushing to. It is sad, but I probably would have been one of the people who rushed right by Joshua Bell.

On the other hand, I think part of it is a defense mechanism. If you tune out what's going on around you, it's much easier to ignore the guy who stood on that same corner screaming hellfire and damnation-style sermons, and the dude who jogged backwards down I Street every morning, yelling to himself, rain or shine. Unfortunately, that means tuning out the beautiful, too.

What I found most interesting about the article was Bell's nervousness going in to the situation. He said something along the lines of that when he's playing in a concert hall, he knows that the people there will like him, because they've paid for the privelege. On the street, he had no such assurances.

#85692 - 03/03/08 12:33 PM Re: Read any good articles lately? [Re: katydid]
setara
Ching Shih

I am not American, but have to say that I am watching the election battles with great interest. Here is an article by Robin Morgan about the underlining sexism in this campaign.

A quote:
 Quote:
When a sexist idiot screamed “Iron my shirt!” at HRC, it was considered amusing; if a racist idiot shouted “Shine my shoes!” at BO, it would’ve inspired hours of airtime and pages of newsprint analyzing our national dishonor.

#85714 - 03/06/08 10:55 PM Re: Read any good articles lately? [Re: setara]
essay
Ching Shih

Thanks, Setara. I just forwarded the link to my sister.
#91892 - 02/14/13 03:38 PM Re: Read any good articles lately? [Re: essay]
StephA
Ching Shih

Bumping up this thread to share this article about Josephine Tey (a.k.a. Elizabeth Mackintosh), author of The Daughter of Time - a topical post, given the rediscovery of the remains of Richard III last week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-21380622

Page all of 19 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: