Page 1 of 19 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#53058 - 08/08/01 12:29 PM Read any good articles lately?
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

Even for a magazine junkie like me, there are simply too many periodicals out there for me to keep up even with all the worthwhile ones, never mind staying on top of the trash reading. ;-) Because I have a particular interest in non-fiction writing, I seek out well-written features and love to come across hidden gems between the pages.

I thought it might be useful to have a thread where we could refer each other to worthwhile articles in periodicals. Every once in a while I come across an article that's above average or even outstanding but which I don't necessarily have any place to tell people about. So I'm opening this up, and we'll see how it goes. Perhaps in addition to listing the pertinent details about the articles, we could include a short quoted passage from the articles, to give other readers a sense of what it's all about.

Some things I've read recently that I thought were worth mentioning:

Pagan Kennedy's article on "Boston marriages" called "So...Are You Two Together?" in the June/July 2001 issue of Ms. was really interesting to me, as I think the phenomenon she examines is rarely discussed or addressed. A "Boston marriage" describes a situation in which two women share a home and their lives, but are not sexually involved with each other. Yet they are much more than roommates or pals. They're not biding their time, waiting for husbands and suburban homes and Jeep Cherokees to come along; they're committed to making a life with each other. In the case of Kennedy and her partner Liz Canner, they both have, at times, meaningful, serious relationships with various men, but continue to prefer to live with each other, for numerous reasons, which she discusses in the article.

I like reading about alternative models for setting up one's life; while this one wouldn't necessarily suit me, I see its appeal, and I know lots of women that I do think would be suited to it.

She writes:

Quote:
According the U.S. Census Bureau, one out of four households in 1995 had only one member, a figure expected to rise sharply as the population ages. I see the future of single women and frankly, it depresses the hell out of me. We're isolating ourselves in condos and studio apartments. And why? Sometimes because we need to bask in solitude—and that's fine. But other times, it's because we're afraid to get too comfortable with our friends. What if you bought a house with your best friend, opened a bank account with her, raised a child? Where would your bedmate fit into the scheme? This is where the platonic marriage—for all its loveliness—may force you to make some difficult choices and rethink your ideas about commitment.

Also in the same issue: Debra Michals' article, "Did the Women's Museum Wimp Out?" which outlines her struggles as a feminist historian trying to keep the vision for the Women's Museum in Dallas from getting completely watered down.

Next up:

Cynthia Gorney's article in the August 2001 issue of Harper's Bazaar called "Having It All." She looks back on her life as a feminist trying to have it all: career and marriage and children. She's nearly fifty now so she fits perfectly into the Second Wave age group and I think she looks at some pretty painful truths with honesty and humour.

Quote:
The man I married is an excellent human being, a lawyer who represents blue-collar people who can't afford to pay very much, but he was born in 1946, and you will undoubtedly be less surprised than I was to learn what happened in the Father Pig department. You have heard this story a hundred times by now. The feminist dunderhead discovers to her amazement that she is insanely in love with her children, that this love wreaks havoc on her work life but not her husband's, that he doesn't take the paternity leave and doesn't know where the pediatrician's office is, that when he leaves town for work it's like bye honey back on Thursday, and when she leaves town for work it is a big, big deal involving multiple lists with schedules and the baby-sitter's phone number and the instructions on what to do after the barfing.

Did I hate this and relish it at the same time? You bet.

I had been under the impression that I wanted a New Man, the guy who would be as much a wife to me as I was to him, but what I fell in love with was Bill, who is unfortunately an actual person, with flaws. Unlike me, who would never engage in behavior as retrograde as, say, peering over my husband's right shoulder as he was attempting to cook dinner and murmuring, "Did you forget to snap the ends off the green beans again?" Who would never countenance some dark recess of the maternal psyche that liked knowing my absence went straight to my daughter's stomach.

Your turn...

[This message has been edited by deborah (edited August 08, 2001).]

#53059 - 08/20/01 10:04 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

deborah, I love this idea, and I wish I had some tidbit to contribute at the moment, but I must confess, the last three magazines I read were Jane, People and Us Weekly. Not much there, eh?
I will get back to you on this once I pick up a magazine with real content...

#53060 - 08/21/01 02:46 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

Note to self: get some chewy magazines... I've been reading Triathlete, Runner's World, Time, and Self. (All but Time would be book research.)

I will recommend Foreign Affairs as an excellent magazine. Seriously chewy political commentary. It's a bimonthly, and I have learned a TON about the rest of the world since I got a subscription. It's a good thing it only comes every other month, it takes me that long to get through it.

#53061 - 08/22/01 03:59 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Lady Agnew
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA

I really really liked this article in The Atlantic Monthly because I agree with the dude. About how current literary trends and prose are bad and uninteresting. And suck.

Quote:
Give me anything, in fact, as long as it doesn't have a recent prize jury's seal of approval on the front and a clutch of precious raves on the back. In the bookstore I'll sometimes sample what all the fuss is about, but one glance at the affected prose—"furious dabs of tulips stuttering," say, or "in the dark before the day yet was"—and I'm hightailing it to the friendly black spines of the Penguin Classics.

and the latest New Yorker is great--all about music and musicians. Articles on Jay-Z and P.J. Harvey, the best piano saleperson at Steinway, on Radiohead , what Kurt Cobain did for rock and roll , and Nick Hornby on the Billboard top 10 list . All good.

[This message has been edited by Lady Agnew (edited August 22, 2001).]

#53062 - 08/24/01 07:37 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Joy
Ching Shih

Loc: London

I recently enjoyed the Spring 2001 issue of Granta (Necessary Journeys), particularly a piece by Decca Aitkenhead about tourists in Thailand. Her portrayal of backpackers was horrifying and funny.

It also has pieces on the burial of Haile Sellasie, the Battle of Dunkirk, and the FBI files on James Baldwin.

#53063 - 11/20/01 12:34 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
miercoles
Ching Shih

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

This is an editorial, not an article, but this week's My Turn column in Newsweek is lovely. Jennifer Krause is a rabbi, and writes about the random people in her life -- the super, the repairman, etc. -- who've had an impact on her life.
 Quote:
They remind me that we are traveling not only with the people we have chosen but with the ones who turn up along the way. The repairman, Walter and Ali are part of my erev rav, and I am a part of theirs.

The best description of erev rav I could find was "mixed multitude" -- any Jewish chickliterati want to clarify that?

#53064 - 11/20/01 06:46 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

miercoles, thank you so much for that link. I loved this:

Quote:
Every time we talk I feel as if I have learned Torah—the wisdom of my own faith tradition—from a man who quotes the Quran.

This precisely encapsulates what I feel is the point of interfaith discussion.

A couple of links on erev rav:

This one seems to be a fairly hostile (and possibly marginal) perception.

Another perspective .

Some discussion here under the heading "Negative influence."

More exegesis starting under the heading Exodus 12:38.

(And I just found what seems to be an earlier and slightly different version of Krause's article here .)

[This message has been edited by deborah (edited November 20, 2001).]

#53065 - 11/20/01 11:27 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
slgorman
Ching Shih

Loc: Morgan Hill, CA, USA

I alway seem to find one surprising article in the Smithsonian Magazine I get every month. Usually I start out saying, "What do I care about _______?" but after reading the great articles I end up enjoying the trip all the same. That doesn't always work with Entertainment Weekly.
#53066 - 04/29/02 09:57 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
deputman
Ching Shih

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

My new issue of Bitch just arrived yesterday and what a pleasant surprise in their list of favorite things.

Want to send my congratulations to deborah and the contributors and moderators here at chicklit for their inclusion. Also to Sars for her much-derserved mention as well.

I've enjoyed the other articles I've read so far too of course but what a strange surprise to find myself in the know in an issue themed Insiders/Outsiders.

#53067 - 04/29/02 01:02 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Keckler
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA

There's a great article in the May issue of HEALTH that talks about how exercise can help with creative blocks. Sometimes all it can take is a ten-minute walk.
Page 1 of 19 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: