Page 14 of 19 « First<1213141516>Last »
Topic Options
#53188 - 09/25/04 10:47 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
beastiegirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

Sorry for the double post, but it has been a couple of weeks. In the September issue of Harper's there's a great essay by Lewis Lapham that I can't seem to find online about the conservative propaganda machine.

Quotage:
 Quote:
With the coming to power of the Reagan Administration most of the people on the podium or the tennis court were safely enclosed within the perimeters of orthodox opinion and government largess, and yet they persisted in casting themselves as rebels against "the system," revolutionary idealists being hunted down like dogs by a vicious and still active liberal prosecution.

#53189 - 01/05/05 02:44 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

I've been exploring the Powells website (where you can set up your independent bookstore wish list and let your friends buy presents for you from them instead of using Amazon), and ran across their Author Interviews page . Many, many interviews with some great authors, including Marjane Satrapi (who wrote Persepolis) and Christopher Moore.

I'll be reading that regularly. Great stuff!

#53190 - 01/14/05 01:24 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Exxie
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL

Not sure if this is quite the right thread, but Jessa from Bookslut got a nice little write up in the Chicago Tribune and Chicklit got a mention, too. Just wanted to share.
#53191 - 01/15/05 04:59 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
setara
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta/Canada

Here is an interview with Wangari Maathai, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Peace.
#53192 - 01/15/05 08:35 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Grass
Ching Shih

Loc: North America

Fishdreamer -- thanks for the info about that Powells site.
#53193 - 02/02/05 08:55 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

In the wake of that report about teenagers who don't care (or don't know) about the First Amendment, I was thrilled to see the link to this article from KidSpeakOnline. Sasha Mushegian, a high school junior from Kansas, wrote this incredibly intelligent and quite funny (at times) editorial for the Kansas Star.

She writes:
 Quote:
How can you expect children to mature if you don't expose them to books in which reality is messy and confusing, morals are not immediately clear, making the right decision requires analysis of subtleties, and characters make the wrong choices? How do you expect students to think for themselves if you never expose them to situations that are challenging and unfamiliar (yet still safely contained within the pages of a great work of literature)?
I laughed out loud when I saw this line:

Quote:
I doubt that the teenagers having promiscuous sex and using drugs are doing so because they read too much and have come across Chris Crutcher and Kate Chopin.
Ha!

Click here for the rest of Sasha\'s editorial

#53194 - 03/04/05 05:22 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
ides
Ching Shih

It's not an article as such but is an incredibly powerful, moving story. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/3/4/151715/5913
#53195 - 03/12/05 06:15 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Lunasea
Gráinne ni Mhaille

LaSalle, thanks for the link - what a wonderful article. At 15, she is already so wise!

I just read a great article in Utne magazine, originally printed in Lilith magazine, about how a group of teenage girls learn to love their bodies. Sad that it's such a radical and newsworthy concept, isn't it? They agree that their comfort with their bodies is due to their summer camp experience, where all the females, campers and counselors and staff alike, share one big, happy, communal shower.

http://www.utne.com/pub/2005_128/promo/11579-1.html

#53196 - 03/24/05 06:56 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
blueberry
Ching Shih

Loc: Jhb, RSA

I loved that article by the 15-year-old. Made me want to pick up a book immediately and read. Also made me want to start writing again, which I haven't done in ages. Amazing article, especially when you consider her age.

#53197 - 04/15/05 12:23 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Mingo Moll
Ching Shih

Loc: Washington, DC

I finished an article in the most recent Harper's about the strip mining of Appalachia. As a native of the region, I found the article both incredibly depressing and depressingly familiar. I think that Harper's doesn't let you access current articles, but once they send out the new issue, you should be able to access the article here .
Page 14 of 19 « First<1213141516>Last »

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: