Page 17 of 19 « First<1516171819>
Topic Options
#53218 - 09/09/05 03:13 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
blueberry
Ching Shih

Loc: Jhb, RSA

I thought this article on the BBC World website on whether Islam and the West are compatible was fascinating. I especially enjoyed reading Aftab's section, though the article made me wonder, are they perhaps not perpetuating the stereotype that Islam is a religion that caters to men and is discriminatory towards women? That troubled me.

(ETA an apostrophe, but considering that apostrophes and I just don't seem to get along, forgive me if it's in the wrong place)

#53219 - 09/21/05 02:47 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
blueberry
Ching Shih

Loc: Jhb, RSA

I read an article titled Lost In Translation on the BBC News website yesterday. It focuses on what the author terms "the American enthusiasm for euphemism", and also goes into how language differs in England and in the US. I found it quite interesting and thought it looked like something the Chickliterati may enjoy reading.

Edited to correct glaringly wrong spelling. Yipes! \:\)

#53220 - 09/21/05 04:16 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Promethea
Ching Shih

Oh, interesting. Do Americans really use 'quite' in that way? I've never noticed.
#53221 - 09/21/05 09:17 AM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Catness
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

What? Do you mean as blueberry did in her post? Yep, we do.
#53222 - 09/21/05 01:35 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
dazey
Ching Shih

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

I sometimes use "quite" as Evans says in his article is typically American - "she's quite, quite mad", to mean "totally mad". But then I see it as a sort of old-fashionedly posh use of the word, and that fits in with what he says about the meanings having swapped sides of the Atlantic in the past.

As ever, the BBC article is followed by a flurry of people keen to take the opportunity to talk about how common or Northern people didn't ought to be allowed (or, for the kinder ones, didn't ought to be allowed to broadcast). Which is not at all what the article was about.

And sort of on-topically: I enjoyed this post at the LanguageLog linguistics blog, mocking grammar prescriptivists and including a cartoon.

#53223 - 09/28/05 07:30 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
blessures
Ching Shih

Loc: UK

I think I would see the repetition of "quite" to signify the "very", but on it's own I would almost always read it as "kind of". Um, except as a one word riposte.
People (me) shouldn't post unless they actually have a germane point, and preferably not contradict themselves within it.
Quite.

#53224 - 10/22/05 10:35 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
LovelyPride
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I just read Feminism for Sale in the may issue of This Magazine. It examines the reasons why the feminist movement is losing steam and why so many young women seem to be turning away from the politics while enjoying the freedoms that previous generations won for us.

I'm one of those young women who has always felt a little troubled by the present state of feminism. I support gender equality but when I look at second and third wave feminism I feel like I don't belong to either one. I don't support the victim mentality and 'blame men' philosophy of second wave and I'm comfortable with my sexuality but don't feel the need to prove it to everyone as third wave feminists make a point of doing. This article really addressed the underlying problem with feminism and I saw a lot of my concerns taken seriously. The writer didn't just dismiss women of my generation (I'm 29) as "ungrateful hypocrites" and that makes me hope that, eventually, there may just be a place in the gender equality struggle for me.

Sorry, I didn't mean to babble for so long.

#53225 - 10/23/05 01:21 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Kasa
Ching Shih

Loc: Seattle

This probably deserves its own topic, but I just had to respond a little to [b]LovelyPride[/i]. While I can't say that I've had the same experience with third wave feminism as you, I hear your sentiments about the second wave shared by a lot of people. I think it's important to remember that every "wave" is a product of it's time, and that the "victim mentality and 'blame men' philosophy" was pretty accurate at the time bc, well, a lot of men were assholes and sexism was pretty damn rampant. So of course you don't feel like you belong to second wave, bc you're from a completely different generation and grew up in an era radically different from the 60s and 70s.

Feminism is what you want it to be for you, I guarantee that wherever your personal politics fall, that there's a way into the struggle and feminists that feel the same way you do.

#53226 - 10/23/05 01:47 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
LovelyPride
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by Kasa:
Feminism is what you want it to be for you, I guarantee that wherever your personal politics fall, that there's a way into the struggle and feminists that feel the same way you do.
I'm sure you're right, Kasa. I didn't mean to threadjack, it was just the first time I had read an article that reflected my feelings about the current state of feminism.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. \:D

#53227 - 10/23/05 11:38 PM Re: Read any good articles lately?
Masha Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

It's been quiet lately, but we do have a thread on feminism(s) , if you'd like to continue the conversation.

It looks like an interesting article, LovelyPride. I'll be on the lookout for the magazine. LiP also had a recent article that addressed the current failings of feminism: "If Women Ruled the World, Nothing Would Be Different."

Page 17 of 19 « First<1516171819>

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: